What's your favorite Final Fantasy style?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mike

Head Engineer
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
www.rpgsite.net
Naturally, the Final Fantasy series has gone leaps and bounds beyond its 8-bit days. Maybe you prefer those days. Or the PS1 days, with 7-9 . Everything up to 9 had a very open world -- you were able to go back and forth between areas and try old quests again, or try something completely different after exploring for a bit (Daguerro or Knights of the Round island, anyone?).

Then we look at the PS2 days and beyond. Starting with FF10 (and excluding FF11, because of course that's an MMORPG), it's become very clear that your path is very linear. Set. You must follow what the game tells you to do or you won't get anywhere.

But there's mixed thoughts! What style of game do you find yourself preferring?

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
I have a particular fondness for the PS1 era. To me, it embodies everything I love about FF and will continue to love. That said, I don't have any one particular favorite - more like a grouping of them. I suppose in no particular order I would list FFVII, VIII, IX, X, XII and now XIV.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
I agree that the PS1 era felt the most inspired, mostly because Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VII are my favorites of the series. They had the deepest stories, the best characters, and they weren't ruined by bad VA.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
It would have to be the PS1 games for me, as well. I do miss the completely non-linear explorative aspects of FF, going back to revisit old places and flying a ship around for side-quests. I have a huge fondness for FFX's battle style, though, and whilst more linear with a lack of World Map, the click-and-go function in the airship still meant you could revisit anywhere, making travelling faster.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Yeah I do still enjoy FFX's battle system a lot - which is part of the reason I'm anticipating the HD remaster so much. I just wish it would hurry up and get here but SE decided to delay it to Winter...

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah I do still enjoy FFX's battle system a lot - which is part of the reason I'm anticipating the HD remaster so much. I just wish it would hurry up and get here but SE decided to delay it to Winter...
I'd say X is my fave battle system. The CTB system seemed to make it more strategic. I promised myself I wouldn't replay FFX on PS2 earlier in the year, since I thought HD was coming soon. Obviously I gave in after how bloody long S-E was taking. I'm really looking forward to the remixed music massively.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
For combat style, I really can't pick a favorite. I enjoy the different styles for different reasons, and what I want seems to change based on the mood I'm in. I'll always have a fondness for X despite it not being ATB-based, but really I'm an anything-goes kind of guy.

For world style, Final Fantasy XII is my jam hands down. It is the only Final Fantasy I have ever played that has felt like it was truly open world. Not an empty segmented map meant to fool me into believing I'm having an open world experience like the PS1-era games, not a set of straight-shot corridors like X or XIII, not free run of a world I've already fully explored like X-2, not teleporting to differently-lighted versions of 10 areas a la XIII-2. Pure, open space I can romp around in without a care in the world. To walk from one end of the world to the other no matter how long it might take, and even if that damn T-Rex should happen to chew my face off because Fran cast Thunder on it as I ran back home from a trip through the Zertinaan Caverns.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
I'd say X is my fave battle system. The CTB system seemed to make it more strategic. I promised myself I wouldn't replay FFX on PS2 earlier in the year, since I thought HD was coming soon. Obviously I gave in after how bloody long S-E was taking. I'm really looking forward to the remixed music massively.
All things considered FFX probably has my favorite system as well. I like being able to take time and think out strategy.

Zerox20

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Aug 31, 2013
I personally still love me some sprite action... Not sure why but I can always pick up a game such as FF4/FF6 and replay them forever... I think I have replayed those 5-10x more then I have any other FF. I will always love Final Fantasy 9 though as my favorite as far as PS.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I grew up to the PS1 games after VII so I got used to the 3D(and later on linear) FF games. When I tried FFIV on the PS1 though, I aboslutely adored the 8bit style, so cute how they dont even make contact with the enemy in battle.

Mifune13

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
I am a big fan of the PS1 Era. The FF's absolutely blew me away on the PS1. I am also a big fan of the old turn based combat. However, FF13's combat system really grew on me because I like the fact you kind of always have to be on your toes.

Mifune13

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Crisis Core on the PSP was also another FF I played till my thumbs went raw. Just something about it was really original and engaging. Square please at least put it on PSN so I can put it on my vita!

Masqurin

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 27, 2013
As someone who absolutely loves tactical RPGs - Tactics holds a really special place in my heart. I thought FFVII was really good as a game changer (graphically), but Tactics made me think and plan more. It was the better game for me over VII. I felt the same happiness when I played VI. But then I was someone who kind of thought, VII was a lamer game than VI. Yes, I was one of those people... but not now I guess.

With wanting to have some absolute control over my characters, the system in FFXII is even more special because it gives you another kind of strategic thrill. When gambits worked so well, didn't we all think we were proud of ourselves when we planned it on our own? Hahaha!

Varnis

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Australia
Say what you will about latest Final Fantasy games, but their style is probably my most-preferred. I like the faster-pace their battles have been, like FFXIII, Type-0, FFXV, FFXII, Dissidia and Crisis Core. I enjoy the older games no less but whenever a battle initiates I get irritated because I have to go through the process of 'Ok...let me wait 3 whole minutes for the entire battle to take place and try to remember my world map's bearings'

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
Started on the current-gen FFs, so I'd say PS2 and current-gen era are my faves. FFX's battle system and sphere grid really rub me the wrong way (worst tutorial ever IMO), and I can't really say I like Tidus as the main character, but the story is so beautiful and the music is awesome. The world with Asian flair was great to explore.
FFXII, though...wow. After finally picking it up after rage-quitting the Leviathan level (thanks, Ehren xD) I can't stop playing it. I've literally never had so much playing a game. Even leveling is fun. I really don't give a crap if I spend four hours just to level my characters to an obnoxiously level of god-like awesomeness (Lv. 46 as I'm going into Eruyt Village, lol) because it's just FUN. The characters are awesome, the story is great, graphics are gorgeous (HD remake, please!), the battle system is fun as hell...if XIII didn't exist, XII would probably be my favorite.
Ι remember that this was also the part for me that the game started getting really interesting,after the events at the Leviathan and the journey to The tomb of Raithwall I was surpized at how much I started enjoying the game
FFXII definately needs a remake with the additional content of the Interantional version

As for my personal favorite style i have to say FF6,7,8,9,10,12,14 ,the ps1-ps2 era was amazing

Last edited: