Why is Tactics so popular?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
The gameplay is more fun/challenging than a normal FF game. Slow-paced as well. It plays a lot like chess.

I also think the political drama storyline appeals to a lot of people because it's so different, and "mature". I never got far enough in the game to comment on the storyline because I've only played the home console version (I do have it on my Vita just haven't gotten to it yet), and the battles are loooong. But addicting if you like chess/shougi/etc type board games. It seriously benefits from being portable because battles are such a time sink.

I played the shit out of Tactics Advance though. Loved that game even with the crazy laws making it near impossible later on (I'd just walk back and forth to avoid the "no attacking"-type restrictions... heh)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
The gameplay is more fun/challenging than a normal FF game. Slow-paced as well. It plays a lot like chess.

I also think the political drama storyline appeals to a lot of people because it's so different, and "mature". I never got far enough in the game to comment on the storyline because I've only played the home console version (I do have it on my Vita just haven't gotten to it yet), and the battles are loooong. But addicting if you like chess/shougi/etc type board games. It seriously benefits from being portable because battles are such a time sink.

I played the shit out of Tactics Advance though. Loved that game even with the crazy laws making it near impossible later on (I'd just walk back and forth to avoid the "no attacking"-type restrictions... heh)
I thought XII's sequel was great but from what I played of Tactics A2 I didn't like it. Lol.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

Partly because of the "mature" plot and second most probably reason :
turn base combat (and job system ?), say that and traditionalist will knee under your will.

Nov 17, 2014
Apart that it's a strategy game in the FF series, the world of FF Tactics is so immersive that you'd want to visit Ivalice and be involved in their politics. The story has many twists and turns. And the characters are memorable. The artwork and music is outstanding. It's worthy to be GOTY back in the days. It's just my opinion.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Apart that it's a strategy game in the FF series, the world of FF Tactics is so immersive that you'd want to visit Ivalice and be involved in their politics. The story has many twists and turns. And the characters are memorable. The artwork and music is outstanding. It's worthy to be GOTY back in the days. It's just my opinion.
I want Android port now!

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
If you didn't like tactics a2 for the gameplay I don't know if you'll like this game though. It has nothing in common with Revenant Wings.

I haven't played A2 but it looks like the other Tactics games to me.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Tactic Advance and Tactic A2 is not in the same league as Final Fantasy Tactic. The consensus is that Advance and A2 is childish and the storyline is lackluster. Tactic's storyline is like Game of Thrones, it's backstabbing, twisted, mature and emotional. If you don't play it for the gameplay, play it for the story.

By the way, might just be me and my old-man-mentality speaking, what's with all these general open posts like "How long is FF2?" and "How long do I have left in FF2?" They don't really provide discussion points and clearly didn't need two threads. /rant

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
It's really the most 'real' feeling series from a story perspective, and for me the chess-fashioned gameplay really plays brilliantly, I think. There's far more thought to it than most JRPGs and definitely than the rest of the FF series, for better or worse!

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Tactic Advance and Tactic A2 is not in the same league as Final Fantasy Tactic. The consensus is that Advance and A2 is childish and the storyline is lackluster. Tactic's storyline is like Game of Thrones, it's backstabbing, twisted, mature and emotional. If you don't play it for the gameplay, play it for the story.
Sounds like something a 12 year old boy would say-- I liked the colorful graphics and gameplay of Advance and I wasn't aware Tactics was full of tits and ass. Lol. The core gameplay is the same.

I think the Tactics games are more gameplay heavy than anything (even regular battles can take a long time) and if you do not like the turn-based, grid-based format you won't have a fun time with the game no matter how good the story is. Because either way 3/4 of the time you will be in a battle, unlike games with town and dungeon exploration. If colored graphics or simple storyline are the problem then original Tactics is def. gonna be more appealing. But there are always people who simply can't get into SRPGs.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com

By the way, might just be me and my old-man-mentality speaking, what's with all these general open posts like "How long is FF2?" and "How long do I have left in FF2?" They don't really provide discussion points and clearly didn't need two threads. /rant
I actually agree with this. This is what turned me off A2.

Sounds like something a 12 year old boy would say-- I liked the colorful graphics and gameplay of Advance and I wasn't aware Tactics was full of tits and ass. Lol. The core gameplay is the same.

I think the Tactics games are more gameplay heavy than anything (even regular battles can take a long time) and if you do not like the turn-based, grid-based format you won't have a fun time with the game no matter how good the story is. Because either way 3/4 of the time you will be in a battle, unlike games with town and dungeon exploration. If colored graphics or simple storyline are the problem then original Tactics is def. gonna be more appealing. But there are always people who simply can't get into SRPGs.
I'd disagree. Square Enix have said some DS games are made with children in mind.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I don't know what target audience has to do with it, because if that were the case kingdom hearts would be waaaay less popular than it is.

I was pointing out that the gameplay is the same, which is the only thing that matters because who would play Advance and A2 for their story?? The system is the focus. Original Tactics had a deeper story going on, but I don't think Advance was ever trying to one-up that; its focus was streamlining the battle system and adding new features like races. The story was tacked on probably as an excuse to explain the law system. It seems strange to put one on a pedestal and shit on the other when they play almost exactly the same-- if that's the case it means you don't really like the game, you like the *story*.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I don't know what target audience has to do with it, because if that were the case kingdom hearts would be waaaay less popular than it is.

I was pointing out that the gameplay is the same, which is the only thing that matters because who would play Advance and A2 for their story?? The system is the focus. Original Tactics had a deeper story going on, but I don't think Advance was ever trying to one-up that; its focus was streamlining the battle system and adding new features like races. The story was tacked on probably as an excuse to explain the law system.
Well in A2 you start off as a kid who is like 10-12 and they're doing school work, there's a teacher, a library. The story was just shocking to me.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
If you didn't know what to expect (or worse, were expecting something like XII/Vagrant Story/Tactics because of the Ivalice name) I guess it would be shocking. I don't mind games with child protagonists so I don't really think much of it either way, as long as it's fun.

With the reactions and aversions people have, you'd think it was a reskin of a Dora/Barney/Elmo/Boobah/what-have-you game. :p

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
If you didn't know what to expect (or worse, were expecting something like XII/Vagrant Story/Tactics because of the Ivalice name) I guess it would be shocking. I don't mind games with child protagonists so I don't really think much of it either way, as long as it's fun.

With the reactions and aversions people have, you'd think it was a reskin of a Dora/Barney/Elmo/Boobah/what-have-you game. :p
Yeah, I was expecting Ivalice style.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Such an amazing game. One of my favorites. Challenging, addictive gameplay and a fantastic soundtrack. Good systems and an immersive world. FFT is a game that fires on all cylinders imo. I've probably played it at least a dozen times over the years. When it came to portable, it was all I did on my lunch breaks at work for like a year.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Don't know how that sounds like what a 12 year old boy would say, aside from speaking an opinion. I think people take the word "childish" as negative. I'm a 35 years old grown gay man who loves many childish things and "girlish" things. I see nothing wrong with that nor have any impact over the words being used.

I personally didn't spend too much on A2, although I spent a good chunk of my time with Advance and I like it. I find Advance's story was fine, it wasn't spectacular or anything, but decent. When I said "consensus" it wasn't really my opinion, just more the general thought from a lot of people. Here's a link from good mix of people liking both games for different reasons, many who likes FFTA also pointed out the demographic and the storyline being towards the childish side. http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/1fdxni/final_fantasy_tactics_vs_final_fantasy_tactics/

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
"Childish" is pretty exclusively used with a negative connotation, even in relation to things aimed at a young audience. It's an innocent-sounding word but thanks to the evolution of language it has a negative meaning. Usually people describe something as "youthful" when trying to sound neutral or positive.

So I misunderstood the meaning of your statement because it reminded me of the childish (heh) line of thinking where if something looks "kiddy" you have to hate it with the passion of a thousand suns otherwise you won't be cool anymore (mentioning Game of Thrones cemented that idea further, since some kids get into it thinking it will make them look more mature). Sorry.

And when people try to put a negative spin to the word girlish all it does is show that they're misogynist trash. So I agree with you there.