Eiji Kitada: Early Preproduction on FFXV had Only 2 CG Artists

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Read this on NeoGaf
Eiji Kitada is a digital artist and former employee of Square Enix's Visual Works department (the division responsible for CG cutscenes). Kitada left Square in 2009, where his last project was working on what was then known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII (now known as Final Fantasy XV).
On Final Fantasy XIII's convoluted development before its E3 reveal in 2006:
When production of FF12 ended, they gradually increased members of the R&D team, and it seemed things were going well, but as for my own work, I couldn't get an "OK" no matter how many times I rebuilt it. I could never get someone to check and verify my work. The E3 deadline kept drawing near. I pulled all-nighters without going home. I was exhausted in both mind and body.
At that particular time, I was exhausted but my motivation was never low. In the middle of the night, I would try things like exchanging ideas with coworkers, or going out for a bite to eat for a change, just to make the atmosphere seem not so bad. [a little unclear on the meaning]

My life continued like this for months, and I wondered if my mental strain would snap like a thread, or if my head would split open... am I going to end up hating CG, which I've always loved? That's when I started thinking, "After E3 is over, I'm quitting Square." This was around my 3rd year of working at Square.
On Final Fantasy Versus XIII's preproduction:
One of the first things I participated in [on the Visual Works team] was Final Fantasy Versus XIII's preproduction. Mr. P was the modeling supervisor on this project and I was the lead position. The preproduction modeling and rendering, at that time, was pretty much just the work of the two of us. At that time, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete was running as a separate project, so while Mr. P and I did preproduction, we also had the job of supporting the Advent Children team.

Now that I think about it, that was the most enjoyable time -- I felt my time on Visual Works was perhaps my most fulfilling period [at Square].
On his surprise at how the designes had changed since his last time on the project:
The designs that I was working with have changed in subtle ways. I mean, several years have passed and some things are completely different from the way they were before. I feel like the character designs especially have changed.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
They're always changing things and nothing ever seems to be finalized.

That scene with Stella and Noctis talking to each other went from pre-rendered to real-time and now back to a pre-rendered cut scene.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Seems like it is extremely dysfunctional at Square on a regular basis. I know things can get chaotic in work environments, but Square-Enix's case sounds as if it usually takes a turn for the worse more often than not. If XIII's development was that difficult, I only imagine some of the turmoil the current staff is going through with XV. As for the changes, I wonder what else will have been changed from the original vision since its reveal in 2006? So far, it seems like everything except for the plot/story has been altered or changed in some way.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
So far, it seems like everything except for the plot/story has been altered or changed in some way.
Hard to know if they changed anything about the story or not since we don't know much about it. That's probably something we won't know until after the game releases.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
I think we all know deep down in our hearts...that honestly the first years of the game's development were of incredibly low priority for SE.

What baffles me is why did SE decide to show it since back then...

At least the trailers are awesome though.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Hard to know if they changed anything about the story or not since we don't know much about it. That's probably something we won't know until after the game releases.
True. Although, I recall an interview where Nomura said the original vision for the story was still in tact. For better or worse. I'd think it would need an overhaul is some areas. Most likely in the area of pop culture references that will likely be present because of the "Fantasy based on reality" theme.

Jul 29, 2014
Miami
My first reaction after reading this was laughter. This testimony sounds hilariously similar to that one occasion when a renderer working for FFXIII claimed he/she spent 4 months rendering A ROCK without anyone directing him/her otherwise. For such a large company, Square seems managerially-challenged when it comes to ambitious projects (e.g.- Fabula Nova Crystallis thingy). Maybe last-gen was a stroke of bad luck. (lucky #13)

I just hope the new leadership will clean up this crap. And I'm doubly hoping the recent departure of the Head of the Luminous Studio & Square's streak of incompetence are unrelated.

Considering Square's track record, you may want to book your room for the asylum early.

/cynicism

Last edited by a moderator:

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
Nah. Namura and many others already said the story is intact. The theme of a mature, darker tone with life like characters never went away nor did the simple plot about getting back the crystal. Making something entirely new doesnt make sense because the story is told in real time (not many cutscenes) in the same sense as Nier, Witcher, Red Dead Redemption, and Batman Arkham. That would mean entire set pieces would be scrapped. just read this my friend http://www.answers.com/topic/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-1 .

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Nah. Namura and many others already said the story is intact. The theme of a mature, darker tone with life like characters never went away nor did the simple plot about getting back the crystal. Making something entirely new doesnt make sense because the story is told in real time (not many cutscenes) in the same sense as Nier, Witcher, Red Dead Redemption, and Batman Arkham. That would mean entire set pieces would be scrapped. just read this my friend http://www.answers.com/topic/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-1 .
I wouldn't be really confident on what "intact" means, and that info is really old. It's possible some things changed during development. That the basic idea of the story remains the same is alright, but they could have changed a lot.

Sep 26, 2013
You’re just telling me what kind of overall game to expect without going into the specifics.

Nomura could have made changes to Nojima’s original vision right at the very start too.

And things change all the time in game development. Ideas can be scrapped. Not unheard of.

What those things are exactly won’t be something we probably know about until the game has been out. Hell, we may never know as it could make Nomura look bad.

Let’s also not ignore visual design changes too.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
The game's story likely hasn't changed too drastically, but it's likely a lot of connection with the XIII universe has been removed, as to the public's knowledge, it's never been anything substantial.