Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS, Action RPG) Announced

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Ifrit Heats Things Up In The Latest Final Fantasy Explorers Screenshots
It seems as if we will be the bad guys in Final Fantasy Explorers, as we’ll have to beat summon monsters in order to acquire crystals for mankind. However, these crystals are like the planet’s life source, and summons like Ifrit will do everything they can to stop us. 4Gamer shows us more.

Explorers will face all kinds of different Summons from the Final Fantasy series as enemies. The first one Square Enix have shown us thus far is Ifrit. In Final Fantasy Explorers, Ifrit fights with an all-out attacking style using physical attacks with his powerful body, and fire-based magic. He can also bust out with his signature attack, Hellfire.

Ifrit will likely be the first major boss that Explorers encounter in the game, which might make him sound like an easy foe, but you might not want to take him too lightly, as he can also bind players with his roars and throw giant fireballs, as well. Imagine getting caught in that combo?

According to the 4Gamer report, Ifrit will always be closing in on you, and you’ll need to study his patterns and take advantage of openings to land some hits.

The above is a look at the Regi Plains and Hibato Volcanoes, two of the early areas in Final Fantasy Explorers.

Read more about the game’s battle system and recruitable monsters in our earlier report. It might even be possible to become buddies with that cute Ahriman in the above image!

Sep 26, 2013
Excalibur, Ragnarok, And Other Iconic Weapons Will Be In Final Fantasy Explorers
Final Fantasy Explorers will feature a number of popular jobs, summons and monsters from the Final Fantasy series, but it will also have several pieces of equipment that might bring back memories from the earlier days of the franchise, according to the game’s official Twitter account.

According to Square Enix, the characters we’ve seen thus far have been wearing the default equipment for their respective jobs. When you change equipment, your character’s appearance also changes with it.

At first, the game starts you out with weak gear, but as you collect new material to create better weapons and armor, you’ll be able to take on stronger monsters, which is something that fans of hunting-style games have grown accustomed to.

While on the subject of equipment, Square Enix also mentions that the types of weapons featured in Final Fantasy Explorers will also be worth keeping an eye on. They didn’t reveal any new ones, but it sounds like we’ll see a nice variety of weapons in the final game.

Square have confirmed that popular weapons from the Final Fantasy series like Excalibur, Ragnarok, Kaiser Knuckles, and Hellish Claws will be in Final Fantasy Explorers. They also mentioned the Chicken Knife, which was actually the strongest knife in Final Fantasy V, but it required you to run away 255 times to activate its true power.

Here’s a look at an extra little tease they showed before signing off for the weekend:

本日は、装備品についてのお話でした。週末最後に本作に登場する武器を1本ちら見せしたいと思いますがー・・・さすがにこれはバレバレですかね・・・(汗)こちらもシリーズ常連の武器ですよね。それでは良い週末を!#_FFEX pic.twitter.com/flMg89YX2Y

— FFEX:初心者の館 (@ffexp3) June 27, 2014

Final Fantasy Explorers is in development for Nintendo 3DS.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I doubt it. FF games usually get localised. Type-0 was an exceptional matter with regards to the PSP in the West. Apart from that, FF games of all types usually get released outside of Japan.

May 26, 2014
I'm not too into Monster Hunter style games but I did like God Eater on the PSP. So this may be something I'm interested in. The combat looks much more fast paced than Monster Hunter too, which I like. MH was a bit too slow for me.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
http://gematsu.com/2014/08/final-fantasy-explorers-japanese-release-date-set

JP release date set: December 18th.

In addition, the Time Mage and Ninja jobs were confirmed to be in the game. Paladin and Hunter were announced yesterday.

That makes for 2 games they manage to tactically release, this year: FF Explorers especially, alongside KH 2.5.

This also means that the game was mostly finished at the time of its announcement, which begs the curious matter of when they began working on it.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
That makes for 2 games they manage to tactically release, this year: FF Explorers especially, alongside KH 2.5.

This also means that the game was mostly finished at the time of its announcement, which begs the curious matter of when they began working on it.
That's an interesting observation.

Sep 26, 2013
Considering that the 3DS had a rough start, I imagine some developers postponed projects for the platform until it had a larger install base. If I were to take a wild guess, Final Fantasy Explorers was probably green lit when Square Enix figured things were starting to look up for the 3DS.

Or maybe this game was in development for a long time but the Final Fantasy XIV disaster caused some delay. That game did delay and killed some projects from my understanding.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Interesting. Curious to know what else, if any, got canned. Or maybe I'm better off not knowing.

Still sad Chocobo Racing was axed :(

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I gave Monster Hunter a try with a trial version before, I really want to get into it but I didn't like the mentality of the series that is so not welcoming for new players. This extend to the general impression I got from the fanbase as well. I support not having hand-holding in games, I like a challenge, but there's a fine line between having proper tutorial to let you learn the basics then explore everything on your own, and just throw you in the middle of something and expect you to learn while playing. The latter made me have less respect for the developer.

Obviously, that was only from my experience from the trial, which I understand a lot of trails are not a good representation of the actual game.

I am looking forward to the FF Explorer though, if anything, Square-Enix is known for hand-holding... so I'm sure I'll have a polar opposite experience XD

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Wow, thanks for the scan!

I really like the art direction of this game so far and loving the class/job outfits. Very looking forward to more information about the game. This might be a first day purchase for me.