Final Fantasy Replay and Discussion: FFVIII

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement

This thread is open for all Mognet Central members. Everyone can play the game with complete freedom. No checkpoints, no rushing and of course no need to wait for others. Everyone is free to comment whenever they want, even if they don't play the game, just because they wish to participate or start a conversation about Final Fantasy VIII

Yeah totally creative. I'll put the logo in when I can get on my computer later.

So who all is going to be replaying it? I started my new game already so I am up to the save point in the Directory area of Balamb.

Also this might be a bit early but I cannot fgure out the card game in in this. In FFIX I was pro at it but I cant figure it out here, and I want to play for refining, etc...

Last edited:
I must have been summoning too many GFs. It's been a while since I touched FFVIII, and I've forgotten most of what happens. I can only remember Ultimecia's Mortal Kombatese speak, the genuinely androgynous Adel, being chased by a robot crab through a town square and Squall telling Quistis to go talk to a wall.

I would play too, but I lack the means to here at uni. =(

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Cheers, Tsuki.

I might start my new game tonight. Just a casual run that I'll play steadily, since I've got some other games on the go.

I found the card game simpler to understand than FFIX's initially.

In its most basic form, each card obviously has 4 numbers. Each number represents a side of the card; the top number is the top side of the card, the right number for the right side, etc.
If you place a card down and its right side is 4, and then the opponent places a card next to it and that one's left side is 5, it will beat your card because it beats the number it is facing.

The in-game tutorial might help better explain things, but if there's anything else, I can try to help further.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Err...should I do checkpoints in FFXII? It's such a huge game with so much to do I'd rather just give people free reign.
I think it's fair if we just don't have checkpoints in any of these topics now. Everyone just play them, talk about them, and use spoilers where they feel is necessary.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Curses. The day I make the topic is the day of the new TWD episode. I plan on playing up to Ifrits Cavern tomorrow at least. What do you guys usually do first? Ilike to grind just a little bit. This tims I want to go for the shortest time limit at the cavern though.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Curses. The day I make the topic is the day of the new TWD episode. I plan on playing up to Ifrits Cavern tomorrow at least. What do you guys usually do first? Ilike to grind just a little bit. This tims I want to go for the shortest time limit at the cavern though.
Hm, I think the last time I played this, I abused the card game to become overpowered within the first few hours. I'm debating whether to do that again, and also debating whether to go for Lionheart on Disc 1. I've not done Lionheart Disc 1 before, so I'll consider it.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I've seen how you get the lionheart on disc 1. To me I would not bother unless there was a gold trophy for it. I don't want to be TOO overpowered, but I want want to breeze through the areas on disc 1 I can remember.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
Hm, I think the last time I played this, I abused the card game to become overpowered within the first few hours. I'm debating whether to do that again, and also debating whether to go for Lionheart on Disc 1. I've not done Lionheart Disc 1 before, so I'll consider it.
Hey, my logic is, if it's something new that might change how your ride through the game goes, do it at least once.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Good luck everyone! I will keep an eye on your playthroughs guys! The old time classics are at the top of my favorites list, so I'm really interested for new ideas and new ways to play the game! Wish I could participate too! But I lack of time...

also debating whether to go for Lionheart on Disc 1. I've not done Lionheart Disc 1 before, so I'll consider it.
OMG! Is that possible??? Okay! I want to play too! :p I want a Lionheart on Disc One! Please elaborate on it if you achieve it!

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Working on grinding on the world map now. Getting the max stock of a spell isn't so bad now since I played 4 Disgaea games which were grind heavy. I wish I was playing on the vita so badly though. That way I could taken in game screenshots instead of using it as a camera. I'll have one up when I reach the Fire Cavern.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Working on grinding on the world map now. Getting the max stock of a spell isn't so bad now since I played 4 Disgaea games which were grind heavy. I wish I was playing on the vita so badly though. That way I could taken in game screenshots instead of using it as a camera. I'll have one up when I reach the Fire Cavern.
Not level grinding I hope! Remember monster levels scale to your own levels, so the higher you level, the harder the monsters become.

I'm probably gonna go for Lionheart Disc 1 now, and played a bunch of card games to get some good cards. Doing the Dollet mission now and moving on until I become a SeeD so I can thenstop and get 20 Elnoyle cards from Cid. Gonna be a few hours of card playing by the looks of it!

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah I dont finish battles. I'm on the beach grinding AP for my GFs but is there a way to kill the enemies so only they get exp/AP?
There isn't really a way to make it so that only your GFs will get both EXP and AP while at the same time your characters don't.

To level up GFs, your characters have to gain EXP too.

But you can make it so that you only gain AP (and not EXP) by using Quezacotl's Card ability in battle. You will still get items and cards from the battle, plus AP, but just not receive EXP at all.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Oh good to know. that's the first ability i'm learning now. I'm gonna have alot of cards then. I have the card game figured out too now. Not playing until I card a bunch of enemies though.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I want a screenshot of Diablos' battle! One of my favorite GFs! I usually get him at lvl9-10. Is it possible in earlier lvls too? He is touph!
Anything's possible at any level, really. I've got a ton of cards ready to be refined to make me very powerful early on but I've just got the Magic Lamp so I'm gonna take him on next and kick his arse.

If there's any screens in particular people would like me to take a shot of, just say so.

I always liked this bit. Quistis showing who's boss.

My crappy SeeD exam results!

Finally, it took me maybe 3 hours-ish, I think, but I've now got the 20 Elnoyle cards I need to put towards crafting Lionheart. Just under 6 hours playtime, and ready to go to Timber.

I wanted to share some notes that I wrote down a couple of years or so ago about important cards to choose when you win card games. These craft into very useful items and strong magic that help you become strong quickly, and will help throughout the whole game.

In particular, Tornados are some of the strongest magic in the game to equip to Str-J, and very easy to get hold of by winning Abyss Worm cards. Meltdown magic is another very important one to get, as it reduces all enemy defense to zero, and is a good junction magic. Triple and Full Life are easy to get and very useful. And Death is also extremely easy to get hold of and perfect to equip to Status Attack-J to inflict Death with attacks if you want to LV up characters/GFs.

I've cleaned the notes up so they're easier to read. Basically, you have the card name on the left, then it tells you what item it refines into using the Card Mod ability, and then the magic said item refines into using the listed RF ability.

For example, as written below, 1 Mesmerize card will refine into 1 Mermerize Blade with Card Mod, and that will refine into 20 Regen magic using the L-Mag RF ability.

I also jotted down cards that help in getting the Doomtrain GF, so if you do happen to see an Elastoid or Malboro card, might as well pick them to save on trying to fight certain monsters to get those items. Also noted that Tents refine into Curagas, so a very easy high LV magic to get from those too.

Should be very useful to those wanting to get powerful. If you need further help, just ask.

Code:
Abyss Worm 1 = 1 Windmill = 20 Tornado w/ T Mag-RF
Snow Lion 1 = 1 North Wind = 20 Blizzaga w/ I Mag-RF
Ruby Dragon 10 = 1 Inferno Fang = 20 Flare w/ F Mag-RF
Blitz 1 = 1 Dynamo Stone = 20 Thundaga w/ T Mag-RF
Hexadragon 3 = 1 Red Fang = 20 Firaga w/ F Mag-RF
Tonberry/King 1 = 1 Chef's Knife = 30 Death w/ L Mag-RF
Mesmerize 1 = 1 Mesmerize Blade = 20 Regen w/ L Mag-RF
Torama 5 = 1 Life Ring = 20 Life w/ L Mag-RF
Chimera 10 = 1 Regen Ring = 20 Full Life w/ L Mag-RF
Gayla 1 = 1 Mystery Fluid = 10 Meltdown w/ ST Mag-RF
Gesper 1 = 1 Black Hole = 30 Demi w/ Time Mag-RF
Triface 1 = 1 Curse Spike = 10 Pain w/ ST Mag-RF
T-Rexaur 2 = 1 Dino Bone = 20 Quake w/ Time Mag-RF
Caterchipillar 1 = 1 Spider Web = 10 Slow w/ Time Mag-RF
Quistis 1 = 3 Samantha Soul = 180 Triple
Zell 1 = 3 Hyper Wrist = 3 x Str+60% ability for any GF
Elnoyle 10 = 1 Energy Crystal (x2 needed for Lionheart)

For Doomtrain GF:

Elastoid 1 = 1 Steel Pipe (x6 needed for Doomtrain)
Malboro 4 = 1 Malboro Tentacle (x6 needed for Doomtrain)

Items:

Tent 1 = 10 Curaga w/ L Mag-RF
If anyone's curious about the cards I used in my few hours of play to get 20 Elnoyle cards, they were as below:

Ifrit (from defeating him in Fire Cavern)
Seifer (won from Cid after you go back inside 3F of B-Garden after becoming a SeeD and when you're supposed to go to Timber)
MiniMog (from the boy running around B-Garden)
Malboro (from Cid or Dr Kadowaki)
Elnoyle (from Cid or Dr Kadowaki)

Cid and Dr Kadowaki are the 2 main people you need to play cards with to get the Elnoyle cards. You could just stick with playing Cid really, because he holds Seifer anyway, but I also started playing versus Dr Kadowaki before I was able to play against Cid so I could get a few strong cards from her too. Before playing her, the gatekeeper of B-Garden is a good person to play against to get a few good cards early on too. Then you can move on to Kadowaki. It takes ages to sometimes even see an Elnoyle and I gave up with Cid after a while and changed to playing Kadowaki, but it seemed to make little difference. Just gotta be patient. The 5 cards I used above, once I got them all, gave me almost guaranteed wins every time and were very safe cards to use.

Last edited:

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Okay just WOW! I usually used the card system around disc 3 to get the Lionheart, but never before. Oh please @Azuardo , when you do take the Lionheart I want a screenshot! It sounds almost utopia performing a Renzokuken Lionheart on disc one! I can't wait! :cool: