Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ships one million copies worldwide

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
According to my saves I've clocked just over 98 hours in the game and enjoyed a large portion of those hours. I even did this on the Xbox One (please don't hurt me or blame me for randomizing SE) :)

It was a good experience that I'm glad I was able to play through. Here to hoping SE and co. continue being successful while we wait for XV and Deus Ex!

Sep 26, 2013
NPD results are out.

1.) Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 360, PS3, PC)
2.) Bloodborne (PS4)
3.) Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
4.) Mario Party 10 (Wii U)
5.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6.) MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
7.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
9.) Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
10.) Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD (PS4, Xbox One)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
NPD results are out.

2.) Bloodborne (PS4)
It got beat by another remaster....

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It got beat by another remaster....
What remaster? Borderlands? That's two games in one it seems, never heard of it before this. I'm not sure it counts as a remaster though. Unless you're referring to something else, but I don't know what else on here could be considered a remaster.

It's not really surprising though, $60 for Type-0 HD isn't worth it... only with the demo, and even then it's kind of pushing it... Seems like it did pretty well though relatively speaking.

BrokenHeart

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 16, 2015
NPD results are out.

2.) Bloodborne (PS4)
Wow! Beaten by a cheap, bundled port of two last-gen FPS games that were already released in NA on PS3/360? So even including FFXV: Episode Duscae couldn't prevent that from happening? Welp. Just goes to show the FF brand is not what it used to be.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Wow! Beaten by a cheap, bundled port of two last-gen FPS games that were already released in NA on PS3/360? So even including FFXV: Episode Duscae couldn't prevent that from happening? Welp. Just goes to show the FF brand is not what it used to be.
What? How so? Type-0 is a quick and dirty HD re-release of a PSP that didn't get much attention outside of the core Final Fantasy fanbase. It wasn't supposed to top charts, the game isn't that great to begin with. What were you expecting, for it to be #1? It's a surprise it even placed at #10. FPS games appeals to a wider audience than Final Fantasy in the west... that's just a given. If you were surprised at all by this I don't even know what to say.

BrokenHeart

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 16, 2015
What? How so? Type-0 is a quick and dirty HD re-release of a PSP that didn't get much attention outside of the core Final Fantasy fanbase. It wasn't supposed to top charts, the game isn't that great to begin with. What were you expecting, for it to be #1? It's a surprise it even placed at #10. FPS games appeals to a wider audience than Final Fantasy in the west... that's just a given. If you were surprised at all by this I don't even know what to say.
I'm not surprised, but it's funny how your attitude to these low sales is passive. It wasn't a "quick and dirty" remaster, as Hexadrive spent over a year developing it and even used their new internal engine, which is powered DirectX 11, to make new character models and textures for the environments. Takeharu Ishimoto remastered his OST, making every track sound different and more high quality than it did before, even making a new theme song in the process. Visual Works created a new secret ending, that obviously had a budget on par with the recent Deus Ex: Man Divided trailer. That's just speaking about Type-0 HD. Add in the fact it came with FFXV: Episode Duscae, a 4 hour demo of the next mainline FF, and all the hype surrounding it, and you can see these sales are disappointing.

Furthermore, this is a FF game that was never released in the West that came with a demo of the next mainline FF. Yet, it was outsold by a HD Remaster of two FPS games that were already released in the territory and don't even include a demo for a future game in their series. The writing is on the wall. The FF brand isn't as strong as it used to be. Will be interesting to see how badly FFXV performs in sales compared to the first FFXIII.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm not surprised, but it's funny how your attitude to these low sales is passive. It wasn't a "quick and dirty" remaster, as Hexadrive spent over a year developing it and even used their new internal engine, which is powered DirectX 11, to make new character models and textures for the environments. Takeharu Ishimoto remastered his OST, making every track sound different and more high quality than it did before, even making a new theme song in the process. Visual Works created a new secret ending, that obviously had a budget on par with the recent Deus Ex: Man Divided trailer. That's just speaking about Type-0 HD. Add in the fact it came with FFXV: Episode Duscae, a 4 hour demo of the next mainline FF, and all the hype surrounding it, and you can see these sales are disappointing.

Furthermore, this is a FF game that was never released in the West that came with a demo of the next mainline FF. Yet, it was outsold by a HD Remaster of two FPS games that were already released in the territory and don't even include a demo for a future game in their series. The writing is on the wall. The FF brand isn't as strong as it used to be. Will be interesting to see how badly FFXV performs in sales compared to the first FFXIII.
Taking a year to port a PSP game doesn't not make it a quick and dirty port.
  • Only the main characters and some of the important characters are made into HD, everything else is completely static and ugly
  • Using an internal engine simply means they didn't have to design one for the game which makes things go faster
  • DX11 means nothing when the game doesn't take advantage of any of the features outside of maybe reflections which isn't DX11 specific even. Virtually none of the graphics were enhanced apart from anything that was redone like the character models.
  • The Audio and Visual Works stuff is about the only positive thing you can really say about it, and those were done by people outside of the development team.
The entire fact that they outsourced the port should tell you that it was just a simple port to begin with. It's evident in the fact that little to no effort was put into doing a full remaster. Square themselves knew that it wasn't worth spending time and money into porting this as it wasn't going to be selling like a mainline title.

The sales are NOT disappointing, I'm completely shitting on the game at this point, I have it right here next to me, I'm not just parroting other people here. The camera is fucking God awful, they didn't even bother to fix it, the graphics are terrible, the story itself is bleak and has terrible character development. The game allows you to miss out on sub-quests easily because it's so confusing as to what's going on. It also limits your time, that aspect of game design was in purely to give a sense of urgency and to promote replayability for a portable title that couldn't fit much onto a UMD.

You wonder why I have this attitude for the sales, it's because I think the game in many ways is shit. It's a mediocre/sub-par game that somehow got its way up to #10 on this list... again... not disappointing.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The camera is fucking God awful, they didn't even bother to fix it, the graphics are terrible, the story itself is bleak and has terrible character development. The game allows you to miss out on sub-quests easily because it's so confusing as to what's going on. It also limits your time, that aspect of game design was in purely to give a sense of urgency and to promote replayability for a portable title that couldn't fit much onto a UMD.
Stop! Just stop, I still have an unopened collector's copy I need to sell and the value of it drops from every word you typed! :jawdrop: *cries*

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
The sales are NOT disappointing, I'm completely shitting on the game at this point, I have it right here next to me, I'm not just parroting other people here. The camera is fucking God awful, they didn't even bother to fix it, the graphics are terrible, the story itself is bleak and has terrible character development. The game allows you to miss out on sub-quests easily because it's so confusing as to what's going on. It also limits your time, that aspect of game design was in purely to give a sense of urgency and to promote replayability for a portable title that couldn't fit much onto a UMD.
I haven't even played it but you made me feel disappointed anyway.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Taking a year to port a PSP game doesn't not make it a quick and dirty port.
  • Only the main characters and some of the important characters are made into HD, everything else is completely static and ugly
  • Using an internal engine simply means they didn't have to design one for the game which makes things go faster
  • DX11 means nothing when the game doesn't take advantage of any of the features outside of maybe reflections which isn't DX11 specific even. Virtually none of the graphics were enhanced apart from anything that was redone like the character models.
  • The Audio and Visual Works stuff is about the only positive thing you can really say about it, and those were done by people outside of the development team.
The entire fact that they outsourced the port should tell you that it was just a simple port to begin with. It's evident in the fact that little to no effort was put into doing a full remaster. Square themselves knew that it wasn't worth spending time and money into porting this as it wasn't going to be selling like a mainline title.

You wonder why I have this attitude for the sales, it's because I think the game in many ways is shit. It's a mediocre/sub-par game that somehow got its way up to #10 on this list... again... not disappointing.
Agree, agree, agree.

That said: This was a shit month and the sales aren't great, tbh. Shipped doesn't equal sold, obviously, and though they shipped a million, there's a lot still out there clogging up the channel and getting discounted, so it's probably at least something of a disappointment.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I haven't even played it but you made me feel disappointed anyway.
Hahaha, sorry about that! I enjoy the game, I just feel there's a lot of problems with it. To me, I generally can see past a lot of bad parts of something and get to the good. For me, I enjoy the battle system a lot, and poor story telling isn't an issue for me unless it's really bad.

Agree, agree, agree.

That said: This was a shit month and the sales aren't great, tbh. Shipped doesn't equal sold, obviously, and though they shipped a million, there's a lot still out there clogging up the channel and getting discounted, so it's probably at least something of a disappointment.
Yeah, I mean, I don't really consider the sales to be amazing, but for what it is I do think they're acceptable. I'm interested to see how their sales will go after they slash the price on the game.