Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
Noctis' Armiger weapons seem to be largely named after weapons wielded by the Knights of the Round Table! Rhongomyniad was King Arthur's spear and the spear that slew the traitorous Mordred. Likewise, Galatine is Gawain's blade, said to be sister sword to Excalibur itself, and Secace is a sword associated with Lancelot though Arondight is by far his more famous blade. This could perhaps be coincidence, but it's worth noting that the abilities granted by these blades are all prefixed by the word "Knight" as in Knightswords, Knightshield and Knightguard. The only one I can't find any confirmation for is Aqesiro, which I simply don't recognize in any way and haven't unearthed any research on.

Those of you following this thread may have noted a conversation between Koozek and I where it was theorized that some or all legendary weapons may be linked directly to summons which sprang from a description by Tabata of a legendary weapon found in the water that seems to mimic Leviathan's abilities. Could it be that we already have evidence of one of those legendary weapons in the game in the form of Armiger blades that represent the Knights of the Round? It could not only hint at the summons being present in the game as possibly seen in the key art, but confirm the theory that Noctis may achieve a weapon or set of weapons to represent the Astrals/Archaeans.
This was what I was exactly referring to from my old post:
May I just add another idea I have surrounding the possible connection of Noctis' weapons with the summons- his Armiger ability always struck me to be reminiscent of FFVII's Knights of the Round's summoning sequence (the way he flies in different directions around the enemy using different weapons). I believe some of the weapons' names/descriptions also have Arthurian references? To go even further if you look at both the myth and Noctis' story they're both involving kinghood. Correct me if I'm wrong but Tabata confirmed that collecting all of his weapons is a quest in itself, so what if doing that would give you the power to summon Knights of the Round? And what if the weapons are all connected to the previous Caelum kings, making them the summon itself? (see: XV's myth artwork, the old men at the background)

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It's only 10 o'clock my time, so I won't have to pull any all-nighters. But I will have it up on my TV and have no intention of blinking. Then, I'm probably going to watch the new trailer 17 or 18 times before going to sleep. Assuming, of course, they don't just up and tell us that the new demo is available immediately, in which case, I will still do all the things I just said, except for the sleep part.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
In the ATR from last year when Tabata was talking about the changes done from Versus to XV he mentioned that the first thing they decided and nailed down when rebooting Versus into XV was that XV would be a single game and would condense Versus and its sequels into one game, and that decision is directly why they made the changes from Stella to Luna. That would mean that the changes from Stella to Luna and the story changes happened in 2012 when Versus rebooted into XV, and both the 2013 trailer and Nomura's interview in 2013 support that.

First of all back when it was Versus it was stated by Nomura that Noctis only meets Stella for the first time as adults during the peace treaty party, that already means that the young girl we see with Noctis in the 2013 trailer cannot possibly be Stella and that Stella's role was already changed into Luna's, and the young girl we saw in the 2013 trailer was already Luna, and that is also again supported by it being confirmed that Noctis and Luna have known each other since childhood and with Luna in the Dawn trailer being identical to the young blonde girl in the 2013 trailer, same dress and all. But for Stella it was specifically stated that they meet for the first time as adults and we even see them introduce themselves. This means that Nomura was already changing Stella into Luna in 2012 and she was already changed by 2013, the star earrings are simply a remnant of an intent and doesn't really confirm she was still Stella, Luna wears a necklace with a star and moon on it with the same design as the star earrings.

Then comes Nomura's interview in 2013, in the interview the only thing he said was that back in 2007 when he created Stella that she wasn't his type of character and so he changed her into someone he now likes, mind you he didn't say the girl in the 2013 trailer was still Stella, he only said that in 2007 he didn't like Stella when he created her and so he changed her into someone who he now likes, people only assumed that the blonde girl in the 2013 trailer was still Stella because we couldn't have known any other name at the time.

This basically confirms that Nomura was directly responsible for Stella being changed into and replaced with Luna, then there is the obvious design change where the 2013 blonde girl looks practically identical to Luna, in fact there is less difference in design between them than there is 2013 Prompto and 2014 Prompto, and also the fact that Nomura is main character designer and Luna is a main character, so obviously he would have been the one who designed her anyway.

This leads onto the next point about the sequels for XV, people have completely misconstrued what Nomura said in 2013 and meant for the "World of the Versus Epic" to be, he said that they have no plans for a sequel, he said that XV will have it's climax but only that they could tell other stories in the games world, he didn't say they would be sequels, and that really isn't any different to what Tabata has been saying, like they could do something about the guys in highschool as a sidestory separate from the game itself.

Also Regis's role wasn't changed, the only thing about him that was changed was his face and hair design which isn't any different than Nomura changed Prompto in 2013 to 2014, the magic barrier "the anti-armament runewall" around Lucis had become known as a plot point again since 2013 in the official story description. Even in the JF15 trailer we can see the magic barrier around Lucis and in that same trailer they are still using the old CG render for Regis, really the only thing we can take from this is that they simply had not changed his face or hair in the CG scenes yet and so they didn't say anything at the time, he's still wearing the same Roen suit too.

Finally in the 2013 trailer we see footage of Noctis fighting in Lucis, but again that doesn't contradict anything we know as it is now because Tabata had already confirmed that there will still be gameplay in Lucis and it's just at a different point in the game than it was when it was Versus. The treaty signing was not cut, the only that that was changed was that Noctis is no longer in Lucis when the treaty signing is happening, the treaty signing still happens and it's during that when Lucis gets invaded, Noctis is on his way to Altissia when Lucis is invaded. The Lucis footage we saw in 2013 doesn't necessarily have to have been during the invasion, since Niflheim would have occupied Lucis anyway so anytime even if end game were Noctis to go into Lucis he would still be fighting soldiers and such in the streets.

As for Tabata saying XV isn't Versus XIII, well that is something we've known since the 2013 trailer when Versus XIII shattered and became Final Fantasy XV, Versus XIII became Final Fantasy XV, it's not a spinoff anymore it is now a mainline title, and Tabata has already gone on record saying that the core of Versus is still very much alive in XV and that XV is a much bigger game than Versus was, even in that same ATR he mentioned that they are still sticking as close as possible to the Versus story and that the only changes that were made were the one to Stella to Luna, and that resulted in them altering the intro in Insomnia so Noctis isn't in the kingdom when it's invaded, that change just means that instead of Noctis being in Insomnia when it's invaded he is instead on his way to Altissia for his wedding with Luna, the wedding itself which is part of the peace treaty, and since Noctis already knows Luna since childhood there is no point in Noctis being at the party in Insomnia just to meet her, which seems like the main reason why they altered it in exchange for Noctis going to Altissia instead, however Luna is still in Insomnia during the invasion and it's after the invasion that she is heads to Altissia and is waiting to meet up with Noctis, this really doesn't contradict a single thing we see in the 2013 XV trailer or any XV trailer since.

It's already apparent that the majority of the changes when Nomura was still around directing things, including the design changes, it just wasn't until after he left that they revealed the changes.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I had to "like" that post because the isn't a "love" button. That's basically my interpretation of things as well, and that was the point I was trying to make. I think there's a lot of people out there that are misintepreting things and thinking that everything is a jumbled mess since Tabata took over and from my perspective, it appears more likely that everything was changed as a result of the shift to mainline and has been fairly consistent ever since.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
So what is everyone else's plans for the 30th? Gonna pull an all nighter (like me)? Watch it with friends?
Mainly cath up, as I will be leaving college at around 23:30 (GTM-3), just 30mins after it starts and won't be arriving home until around 12:30-12:45, by that time most of the juicy stuff would already have been revealed and Uncovered would most likely be over.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
I had to "like" that post because the isn't a "love" button. That's basically my interpretation of things as well, and that was the point I was trying to make. I think there's a lot of people out there that are misintepreting things and thinking that everything is a jumbled mess since Tabata took over and from my perspective, it appears more likely that everything was changed as a result of the shift to mainline and has been fairly consistent ever since.
Yes, this is how I see it too.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
that already means that the young girl we see with Noctis in the 2013 trailer cannot possibly be Stella and that Stella's role was already changed into Luna's, and the young girl we saw in the 2013 trailer was already Luna
That was one of the biggest things that confused me back then, and this is the current theory I have about the whole thing since then when learning about Luna, it's the only thing that makes sense.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to stir up Stella drama, haha. I was the link that Death Penalty posted where Nomura assured the fans that Stella was still in the game that had me want to go through it all and get to the bottom of it once and for all. There are many conflicting opinions on it. I had taken a lot of people's word for it until I went and watched all the trailers in succession after being introduced to the Niflheim characters and was surprised at how consistent it actually was.

Sep 26, 2013
First of all back when it was Versus it was stated by Nomura that Noctis only meets Stella for the first time as adults during the peace treaty party, that already means that the young girl we see with Noctis in the 2013 trailer cannot possibly be Stella and that Stella's role was already changed into Luna's, and the young girl we saw in the 2013 trailer was already Luna, and that is also again supported by it being confirmed that Noctis and Luna have known each other since childhood and with Luna in the Dawn trailer being identical to the young blonde girl in the 2013 trailer, same dress and all. But for Stella it was specifically stated that they meet for the first time as adults and we even see them introduce themselves. This means that Nomura was already changing Stella into Luna in 2012 and she was already changed by 2013, the star earrings are simply a remnant of an intent and doesn't really confirm she was still Stella, Luna wears a necklace with a star and moon on it with the same design as the star earrings.

Then comes Nomura's interview in 2013, in the interview the only thing he said was that back in 2007 when he created Stella that she wasn't his type of character and so he changed her into someone he now likes, mind you he didn't say the girl in the 2013 trailer was still Stella, he only said that in 2007 he didn't like Stella when he created her and so he changed her into someone who he now likes, people only assumed that the blonde girl in the 2013 trailer was still Stella because we couldn't have known any other name at the time.

This basically confirms that Nomura was directly responsible for Stella being changed into and replaced with Luna, then there is the obvious design change where the 2013 blonde girl looks practically identical to Luna, in fact there is less difference in design between them than there is 2013 Prompto and 2014 Prompto, and also the fact that Nomura is main character designer and Luna is a main character, so obviously he would have been the one who designed her anyway.
This is the only point I might potentially concede. However, in the interview Nomura was responding directly to Stella's design change, and that she was now "his type". There's not any indication that he's commenting on anything beyond how her looks have changed. Likewise, the presentation of the young girl could easily be a story point that we will never know thanks to the fact that Versus' story was rewritten from the ground up. The original story being written by Nojima and influenced by Nomura, there's zero reason why this couldn't be something to do with Noctis' memory and not with the girl not being Stella. Misdirection through the perception of the characters is a mainstay of Nojima, and being forgotten is a continuous theme in Nomura's works.

This leads onto the next point about the sequels for XV, people have completely misconstrued what Nomura said in 2013 and meant for the "World of the Versus Epic" to be, he said that they have no plans for a sequel, he said that XV will have it's climax but only that they could tell other stories in the games world, he didn't say they would be sequels, and that really isn't any different to what Tabata has been saying, like they could do something about the guys in highschool as a sidestory separate from the game itself.
You've completely misinterpreted. Nomura not even once said they have no plans for a sequel, he said that XV will have its own climax but that the game's story will be part of a larger epic. This is clearly indicating direct sequels of some kind, not spin-offs or side projects. Let's also note that Tabata hasn't maintained a clear message regarding further XV stories at all! He began by saying that XV will be a single self-contained game. He then stated, down the line, that SE may (note, may! Concrete plans announced in 2013 were dropped!) pursue further XV projects if the game does well but that he won't be personally involved. The World of the Versus Epic was announced to us in 2013 with promises of further games, denied later by Tabata and then later the possibility of further projects was entertained. This is clearly a change from 2013 when we were promised a multi-game epic by Nomura.

Also Regis's role wasn't changed, the only thing about him that was changed was his face and hair design which isn't any different than Nomura changed Prompto in 2013 to 2014, the magic barrier "the anti-armament runewall" around Lucis had become known as a plot point again since 2013 in the official story description. Even in the JF15 trailer we can see the magic barrier around Lucis and in that same trailer they are still using the old CG render for Regis, really the only thing we can take from this is that they simply had not changed his face or hair in the CG scenes yet and so they didn't say anything at the time, he's still wearing the same Roen suit too.
Tabata outright said Regis' design change was due to a change in role. There's nothing more to be said there. Not only that, the design that they presented to us in 2013 was an updated CGI model of Regis- it is NOT identical to the model used in prior media for Versus. So, they either created a new outdated model of Regis for no reason for the re-reveal, or, more likely, his role changed when the story did post-2013.

Finally in the 2013 trailer we see footage of Noctis fighting in Lucis, but again that doesn't contradict anything we know as it is now because Tabata had already confirmed that there will still be gameplay in Lucis and it's just at a different point in the game than it was when it was Versus. The treaty signing was not cut, the only that that was changed was that Noctis is no longer in Lucis when the treaty signing is happening, the treaty signing still happens and it's during that when Lucis gets invaded, Noctis is on his way to Altissia when Lucis is invaded. The Lucis footage we saw in 2013 doesn't necessarily have to have been during the invasion, since Niflheim would have occupied Lucis anyway so anytime even if end game were Noctis to go into Luci
The event is at 3am for me so I'll be preparing for an all nighter and watch it with friends on Skype and anticipate the breakdown on Twitter as well, lol.

All this talk about Stella and Luna is just reminding me of the days when I used to hope they were twins.
s he would still be fighting soldiers and such in the streets.
Dude, the banners for the treaty signing party are up in that footage. It absolutely takes place during the treaty signing with Noctis in the fray.

As for Tabata saying XV isn't Versus XIII, well that is something we've known since the 2013 trailer when Versus XIII shattered and became Final Fantasy XV, Versus XIII became Final Fantasy XV, it's not a spinoff anymore it is now a mainline title, and Tabata has already gone on record saying that the core of Versus is still very much alive in XV and that XV is a much bigger game than Versus was, even in that same ATR he mentioned that they are still sticking as close as possible to the Versus story and that the only changes that were made were the one to Stella to Luna, and that resulted in them altering the intro in Insomnia so Noctis isn't in the kingdom when it's invaded, that change just means that instead of Noctis being in Insomnia when it's invaded he is instead on his way to Altissia for his wedding with Luna, the wedding itself which is part of the peace treaty, and since Noctis already knows Luna since childhood there is no point in Noctis being at the party in Insomnia just to meet her, which seems like the main reason why they altered it in exchange for Noctis going to Altissia instead, however Luna is still in Insomnia during the invasion and it's after the invasion that she is heads to Altissia and is waiting to meet up with Noctis, this really doesn't contradict a single thing we see in the 2013 XV trailer or any XV trailer since.

It's already apparent that the majority of the changes when Nomura was still around directing things, including the design changes, it just wasn't until after he left that they revealed the changes.
I feel I've shown the changes that took place after the 2013 trailer in enough detail to cast more than a little doubt on pretty much all of the above. You can say I "misinterpreted" the World of the Versus Epic, but we have Nomura one year saying more than one game and Tabata the next saying only one game- after Nomura was removed. We have Regis looking one way, even being rendered in CG that way using two completely different models one arguably new and one undeniably new. We have Noctis fighting through Insomnia during the treaty signing party with banners hung declaring that that's exactly when it takes place.

I understand how appealing the idea is that they've had this vision ever since 2013, but Tabata went on record as being not even sure he could make swimming work for the Leviathan fight revealed in 2013! Nomura stated summons are fought in battle to be achieved in 2013, Tabata later said summons are gained through many different means. Nomura states in 2013 that Cor is a playable character. Tabata states that he's a guest. Nomura stated in 2013 that the story and characters won't change from their current versions. See it now in 2016!

If I can't convince you, I won't continue to try. I don't want things to get aggressive or abrasive here, and I feel like both parties have talked themselves blue in the face at this point trying to convince the other. All the posts have been thoughtful, cordial and had plenty of soul in them so at this point I'll just shake your hands and agree to disagree.

The event is at 3am for me so I'll be preparing for an all nighter and watch it with friends on Skype and anticipate the breakdown on Twitter as well, lol.
The event is at 9pm for me, but I actually booked off of work just to make sure I don't miss a second of it! I'll be watching it with friends on Skype as well, and staying up as late as I need to to see every second.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
All the posts have been thoughtful, cordial and had plenty of soul in them so at this point I'll just shake your hands and agree to disagree.
Yeah, that's where this is at. Just, for the record, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm just trying to get to the truth. Everything you point to as evidence can be interpreted a number of ways (I could go through them one by one, but this would all just cycle through again :p) and the only way we can ever see the truth is to see the final game. I'm sure there are degrees of truth in either direction, too.

Sep 26, 2013
Yeah, that's where this is at. Just, for the record, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm just trying to get to the truth. Everything you point to as evidence can be interpreted a number of ways (I could go through them one by one, but this would all just cycle through again :p) and the only way we can ever see the truth is to see the final game. I'm sure there are degrees of truth in either direction, too.
I agree with you on all of that, especially the last sentence. Either way, it's a blessing to have folks like you on the forum, especially just in time for the Uncovered event! I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the revelations there and to the next time that we converse.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Yes, I have a feeling next time we'll be on the same page, haha. I am looking forward to everyone's interpretations of what gets revealed as well. And I have a feeling it'll give us all stuff to talk about for a couple of weeks anyway.

Sep 26, 2013
This was what I was exactly referring to from my old post:

Oh gosh sorry I forgot to respond to this! Yes I found your response insightful when it was posted, and even more insightful now! It's why I started looking up the names of the blades in the first place. It would have been a lot more obvious if they'd used Arondight instead of Secace, which is why it took me so long to come to the conclusion... I think it's extremely telling, though, and I would be delighted with summon weapons as a mechanic. Of note, the fact that they did not use Lancelot's most famous blade or Arthur's ridiculously famous Excalibur could hint that they'll be using multiple weapons per summon. Arthur likewise has a named dagger, for instance.

Since Armiger shares the limit break gauge, perhaps each summon achieved will be likewise linked to the all-out attacks that Tabata mentioned using that new gauge. After all, Tabata has called what Noctis does when making a contract with them "borrowing their power." Maybe in addition to summoning them, Noctis does this literally! It would also make the text in Episode Duscae where the party is specifically seeking out Titan make even more sense as it's all part of Noctis growing his power to retake his homeland. It even gives some further context into Luna's mission to seek out the aid of the gods for Noctis.

For now this is a great deal of speculation but I suspect we'll see much come the 30th.

Sep 26, 2013
Anyone with any irrational predictions for next week?

I am on record with saying that I think they will surprise us by revealing that there will be airships, and I predict we will see the moogle.
It's funny you should mention because I'm actually starting a betting pool with a buddy of mine who's been following the title as long as I have. Person with the most correct predictions for the event wins! My most ludicrous one is probably that they'll reveal you play as Regis at the start of the game for the opening sequence in Insomnia.