Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

Now, am I being crazy (don't answer that_, or does the horse that is part of the logo have more than four legs? A little Sleipner cameo, perhaps?
I thought it was Mesmenir, but the extra legs don't add up (no that's not an Abacus reference, no you probably didn't think it was, and no I still have no idea what the fuck that is supposed to mean).

What do you reckon all the icons mean?
The heart is probably health, the bicep is strength, the fist is ?, the Sun with a Face? -luck/crit maybe?, the mmm shotgun?, fire, blizzard, lightning, another element?. bullet for piercing?
Very interesting.
I thought bicep might be defensive strength, while the fist might be offensive? No idea really... As for the Sun with a face, I got no fucking idea.

The weapon here is the Flametongue and the description reads:

炎の展性を持つ片手剣 A one-handed sword forged from fire
弱点が炎の敵を攻撃するときにダメージがアップする Attacking enemies weak against fire will deal extra damage

Edit: I just realized the picture I link below has the description translated... yeah.

It's odd that the only stat it gives is a +5 to the creepy sun emoji stat and nothing to... you know... Fire? As for the other bonuses, the one after lightning might be the weird moon/purple/dark magic we saw from the equip menu I linked a little while back.

Here's a reference to that for comparison:

Some of these match, some don't, it's hard to really tell what this stuff is...

Health - Strength(?) - Defense(?) - Divine(?) - Magic
Fire
- Ice - Thunder - Moon

I say Divine, but I have no idea, this lines up with the creepy sun emoji, so I figured it might have something to do with that... but I don't know. Then there are the new additional two stats which might be bullet piercing like you suggest...

I DON'T KNOW this shit is too god damn confusing.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
(no that's not an Abacus reference, no you probably didn't think it was, and no I still have no idea what the fuck that is supposed to mean).
Lmao...

Our hero, Abacus AmIrighta, is the true identity of Noctis' right hand man. You may know him from his mortal name, Gladiolus.

You can always count on his ability to absolve you of your troubles.

Edit:
this copied post will tell you everything you need to know about our hero.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPPdMmcUYAA9zjn.png

On the right.
Notice as he glares in awe at the midriff of Abacus' Patriarch.

"Such overwhelming abdominal fortitude" he cries, "surely he will sire a Son with such strength as to lead the Word to light"

And he was Righta.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Lmao...

Our hero, Abacus AmIrighta, is the true identity of Noctis' right hand man. You may know him from his mortal name, Gladiolus.

You can always count on his ability to absolve you of your troubles.
I saw the thing about Gladiolus on GameFAQs when trying to figure out what it meant, but all I saw was some joke and people asking "what does this mean?" and no one getting an answer, lol.

Oct 19, 2013
His name is Wesker.

His existance was leaked by his voice actor - he played a character called Wesker in Resident Evil - so it's a little Easter Egg. If he's voice-acted then he's probably in the main game, too.
Are you @SonOfEtro as well??-he created the spoiler thread!! Clearly the guy above us speculating about Slipnir (lol) is not the only crazy one here.

edit @DrBretto, sorry apparently yet again, it is I who is the other crazy one.

LOL, when I heard that there was a character called Wesker, that was my immediate thought. That's hilarious its even voiced by the same guy! Its just funny seeing him in the first Kingstale footage. I think we were expecting it to just be Regis, Cid, Cor, and Clarus.
LOL. Guys, his name is Weskham, not Wesker. His voice actor, D.C. Douglas voices Wesker in the Resident Evil series. I don't know if the character was named after Wesker as an easter-egg or they chose D.C. Douglas because of the character's name :D

Btw, this was speculated months ago when Weskham and Crowe's name appeared on the game's IMDB. So, now that Weskham is confirmed, it could mean that Crowe is in the game, too, yay :>
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198961

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
LOL. Guys, his name is Weskham, not Wesker. His voice actor, D.C. Douglas voices Wesker in the Resident Evil series. I don't know if the character was named after Wesker as an easter-egg or they chose D.C. Douglas because of the character's name :D

Btw, this was speculated months ago when Weskham and Crowe's name appeared on the game's IMDB. So, now that Weskham is confirmed, it could mean that Crowe is in the game, too, yay :>
Ha ha thanks for the clarification Koozek! I do remember now that that is the name, lol. Weskham (I do think its a bit of a nod-seeing as how they used the same voice actor though). Also SE and FF games have a history of Easter egg stuff like this (Biggs and Wedge from Star Wars always springs to my mind). Speaking of them, I wonder who B and W will be in this game..?

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
I
Ha ha thanks for the clarification Koozek! I do remember now that that is the name, lol. Weskham (I do think its a bit of a nod-seeing as how they used the same voice actor though). Also SE and FF games have a history of Easter egg stuff like this (Biggs and Wedge from Star Wars always springs to my mind). Speaking of them, I wonder who B and W will be in this game..?
I didn't realise Biggs and Wedge were from Star Wars, but then I'm not a fan of Star Wars. That's cool to know, though.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016

Ehhhh, Tomater/Tomatham, as the saying goes. :p

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I say Divine, but I have no idea, this lines up with the creepy sun emoji, so I figured it might have something to do with that... but I don't know. Then there are the new additional two stats which might be bullet piercing like you suggest...

In the bottom pic, those elemental icons appear to be defensive. You can see the flametongue granting -30 fire on the right , representing the weapon's stats, and the result is 70 (compared to the other elementals being 100) on the left, representing the character's stats. I'm sure you totall got that part already, but what I'm getting at is that it appears to mean that the fire elemental property isn't listed by the numbers at all, rather it's probably just a 1.5x or whatever multiplier like previous games.

Though, it does suggest that someone realized that the flametongue making the user more vulnerable to fire was dumb. As for the other icons, I'm seeing health, strength, black power, creepy sun emoji and a steroid needle, so you're right, this shit is way too confusing at this point, lol.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
In the bottom pic, those elemental icons appear to be defensive. You can see the flametongue granting -30 fire on the right , representing the weapon's stats, and the result is 70 (compared to the other elementals being 100) on the left, representing the character's stats. I'm sure you totall got that part already, but what I'm getting at is that it appears to mean that the fire elemental property isn't listed by the numbers at all, rather it's probably just a 1.5x or whatever multiplier like previous games.

Though, it does suggest that someone realized that the flametongue making the user more vulnerable to fire was dumb. As for the other icons, I'm seeing health, strength, black power, creepy sun emoji and a steroid needle, so you're right, this shit is way too confusing at this point, lol.
Yeah, that whole Fire resistance down for wielding the Flametongue was confusing. Glad they got rid of that.
Point taken, though, it's for elemental resistance, not attack - odd for a weapon - maybe this will be different on release.

That Sun in Splendour, though......REVEAL YOUR SECRETS TO ME!!!!

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
I thought it was Mesmenir, but the extra legs don't add up (no that's not an Abacus reference, no you probably didn't think it was, and no I still have no idea what the fuck that is supposed to mean).

I thought bicep might be defensive strength, while the fist might be offensive? No idea really... As for the Sun with a face, I got no fucking idea.

The weapon here is the Flametongue and the description reads:

炎の展性を持つ片手剣 A one-handed sword forged from fire
弱点が炎の敵を攻撃するときにダメージがアップする Attacking enemies weak against fire will deal extra damage

Edit: I just realized the picture I link below has the description translated... yeah.

It's odd that the only stat it gives is a +5 to the creepy sun emoji stat and nothing to... you know... Fire? As for the other bonuses, the one after lightning might be the weird moon/purple/dark magic we saw from the equip menu I linked a little while back.

Here's a reference to that for comparison:

Some of these match, some don't, it's hard to really tell what this stuff is...

Health - Strength(?) - Defense(?) - Divine(?) - Magic
Fire
- Ice - Thunder - Moon

Yeah some symbols are confusing, but it's good so we can speculate even more. ;)
For me yes,

First the basic stats:
- Heart = HP
- Bicep = Physical Attack (looks like the symbol as the previous one only less detailed)
- Fist = Physical Defense (instead of the body)
- Sun (light/dark side) = Could be magical defense
- That....horn or blade = I just don't know xD

Than the elemental magic:
- well fire, blizzard, thunder
- that could be a wing, so holy?
- now...a rocket or lipstick? xD = whatever this is, it could be darkness. Where there is light, there's darkness

And that arrows next to the L/R buttons are looking really cool, but doesn't fit to the rest of the menu, so it must be transparent like the others.

Also I love the new weapon symbols, much more detailed and modern. ^^

Look at this, you can see how the water is moving in the air by Gladio's attacks.
Really impressive, just imagine if you can freeze this water into icicles. O_O

All in all, I like the screenshots.
Very clean and much better looking now, hope it will look like this on PS4 at least.
But I have faith in Tabata and his team.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
I saw the thing about Gladiolus on GameFAQs when trying to figure out what it meant, but all I saw was some joke and people asking "what does this mean?" and no one getting an answer, lol.
A post from Gamefaqs explains all:

We may never truly know, however, there are a number of theories.

Some attribute it to the fact that much like an Abacus (arithmetic), you can always count on him
Some maintain that much like an Abacus (architecture), that he eases the burden of those below him.
Some have even suggested that its a vaguely Latin sounding way of referring to his supreme abdominals.

You mentioned the erroneous 'Gladio' Some people refer to him, as this, because of the natural feelings of gladness associated with knowing Abacus AmIRighta.

Abacus AmIRighta is so humble that he permits others to mispronounce his surname as Amicitia. He does not see the need of reminding the populace that he is, at all times, Righta.

This is all theory, of course.
May you forever walk the Path of the Righta.

Roughly translated to English:

Gladiolus Amicitia, dude whose shirt's buttons can't stand to his abs, memetically mutated for having abs, Abacus is what our funny friend refers to him by, and AmIRighta is a combination of English words that sound similar to Amicitia. And he now sorta has a mini cult.

Long may your Abdominal Fortitude be Supreme.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Yeah some symbols are confusing, but it's good so we can speculate even more. ;)
For me yes,

First the basic stats:
- Heart = HP
- Bicep = Physical Attack (looks like the symbol as the previous one only less detailed)
- Fist = Physical Defense (instead of the body)
- Sun (light/dark side) = Could be magical defense
- That....horn or blade = I just don't know xD

Than the elemental magic:
- well fire, blizzard, thunder
- that could be a wing, so holy?
- now...a rocket or lipstick? xD = whatever this is, it could be darkness. Where there is light, there's darkness

And that arrows next to the L/R buttons are looking really cool, but doesn't fit to the rest of the menu, so it must be transparent like the others.
I never thought about that being magic defense, but I think that could be a possibility. The horn/blade thing you mention I believe is actually supposed to represent a wand which would mean it's Magic Attack. The problem I have with this is not keeping things consistent with order of ATK/DEF. By that, I mean, having ATK, DEF, MDEF, MATK is weird, and I'd rather see something like ATK, MATK, DEF, MDEF or ATK, DEF, MATK, MDEF if that makes any sense.

For the wing thing, yeah I'm not sure... As for the rocket/lipstick thing, @AtSwimTwoBirds and I think it looks like a bullet or an artillery shell. It might represent piercing or something... really confusing honestly.

There must be the dark magic we saw before represented by the purple moon somewhere in these stats, just where is beyond me...

Also I love the new weapon symbols, much more detailed and modern. ^^

Look at this, you can see how the water is moving in the air by Gladio's attacks.
Really impressive, just imagine if you can freeze this water into icicles. O_O

All in all, I like the screenshots.
Very clean and much better looking now, hope it will look like this on PS4 at least.
But I have faith in Tabata and his team.
I love the new icons for weapons, I never pointed it out on here, but they look so much better now, I hope that each weapon has its own design. It's already looking really good regardless!

As for the graphics, they keep getting better and better, even the PR shots from the PC build. If the PS4 looks anything close to this, I will be very happy. Final Fantasy has never struggled in things like IQ before, so while it's easy to say that when the game launches it shouldn't be an issue, it makes sense that now they're more ambitious than ever (which is good for Final Fantasy) that it also means they have more work cut out for them.

I believe in Tabata as well, and the whole team!

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
So I made a quick and dirty (fairly bad) MS paint based comparo GIF adding Clarus's eybrows and eye color back...hes not really that different other than the buzz cut and new clothing. I would argue that Regis's looks was a far larger change, and even that, it appears to mostly be his hair is longer, eybrows slightly rounder slightly softer eyes and cloak over his old suit.
Clarus's eye shape nose shape and face structure is entirely the same!

http://picasion.com/i/2j2ed
picasion.com_3568ffb4b1faf854fb0470d486385b48.gif

http://picasion.com/i/2j2dP
picasion.com_ce4ab6bd65afb44777596a4bb08b0ae0.gif

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
So I made a quick and dirty (fairly bad) MS paint based comparo GIF adding Clarus's eybrows and eye color back...hes not really that different other than the buzz cut and new clothing. I would argue that Regis's looks was a far larger change, and even that, it appears to mostly be his hair is longer, eybrows slightly rounder slightly softer eyes and cloak over his old suit.
Clarus's eye shape nose shape and face structure is entirely the same!

http://picasion.com/i/2j2ed
View attachment 464

http://picasion.com/i/2j2dP
View attachment 463
That wasn't Clarus though.

The guy in the background is the one you're making a reference to, the guy in the foreground is Clarus. This is from the E3 2013 trailer by the way.