Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Ahh, but we are the chosen ones!

A normie doesn't go out of their way for this stuff - so marketing probably hasn't affected them too much. Wait for the TV/Youtube ads for that.

A gamer who isn't interested probably still sees the gaming expos. So e3 would be the last they saw of it - but let's not get into that again.

People who follow the game would see the ATRs and the more extensive gameplay demos. This stuff has been the best, imo.

I feel marketing gives a very confusing image of what this game is - I feel unless you watch something like the 52 mins vid or have been following the ATR you may feel the game has an identity crisis.

Just my personal thoughts on the marketing. Not the game, itself.
I've said this before but been told that that's not true... glad to see someone else isn't oblivious to this sort of thing.

That warp strike thing was cringy as fuck, but amusing. It has so many dislikes because that one guy from the Finebros was on it, pretty sad.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
I've said this before but been told that that's not true... glad to see someone else isn't oblivious to this sort of thing.

That warp strike thing was cringy as fuck, but amusing. It has so many dislikes because that one guy from the Finebros was on it, pretty sad.
I'm still not an ardent believer in there being no such thing as bad publicity.

Society is much different these days. There is an information overload. We are oversaturated with Media and Entertainment.
Something has to really make a strong impression for people not to immediately dismiss it. That's not a negative for those people - It's just the truth - our brains can't handle making full and objective decisions on every single property - we form first opinions and persue the good, while dismissing the bad until something changes our mind.

We're already prepared to follow XV simply because it's Final Fantasy - we have followed it much more closely and most of us have a full understanding. We base our opinions on this - be they positive or negative.

I've made my thoughts on E3 clear - it was poor marketing. Especially as this was the last e3 for XV. Tabata has described a strategy targeting the Western Audience and this event is the jewel in the crown of western game marketing.
To show the horrible(Mat's fault, granted) Microsoft demo and use the polarizing music (incredibly important for a trailer. Entirely unsuitable - confuses the tone/style of game) for Sony was ludicrous.

We all know that this discouraged many neutrals off the game (a person who hated the game would do so regardless).
The wonky marketing is the source for so much uncertainty, I believe. They'll show something brilliant and then mar it with something like the Dawn Trailer. I don't think Platinum Demo did them any favours. To not include proper tutorials was idiotic - and gave many a bad experience.

Lots of people aren't willing to give things a second chance.

Strong reviews are still the strongest marketing. If it scored well, people will reconsider. If it scored poorly, people will question themselves.

The headline "Final Fantasy is Back" - will sell more copies than any trailer we've seen.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Thanks a bunch.

Now, contain your excitement, friends. For the moment we've been waiting for is here. Kingsglaive was a mere appetizer for what is to follow. I give to you - perfection.

Viral marketing is hard. I get the idea - since YouTube personalities seem to be how certain gamers consume media, i.e. we're not the target audience. Not sure about the implementation. I'd like to think they have some sort of ROI idea on these silly things, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

But if I'm honest with myself - if I was invited to participate in a VR warpstrike demo, I'd be the first in line.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
The big themes we want to show in the story are things like the bond between father and son and comrades and friends… if you’re trying to tell a story with those big themes and at the same time you have Noctis driving around, running people over and laughing… it wouldn’t fit, would it?!
I chuckled right there.

Oct 19, 2013

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Not raw news per se, but here's yours truly talking to Tabata about various things, including him saying that, yes, FF15 is basically a reboot from Versus that reuses elements: http://www.vg247.com/2016/09/01/fin...talks-delays-versus-fan-expectation-and-more/
Great interview, much like your preview. Representing FF IX, too!

His work as director for XV is yet to be seen, but he really seems like a lovely guy that has lots of passion. Hopefully he get his well deserved holidays sooner than later and we get to see, in the future, a big project started from the ground up by him, preferably not Type-0 or FF related.

Oct 19, 2013
Great interview, much like your preview. Representing FF IX, too!

His work as director for XV is yet to be seen, but he really seems like a lovely guy that has lots of passion. Hopefully he get his well deserved holidays sooner than later and we get to see, in the future, a big project started from the ground up by him, preferably not Type-0 or FF related.
Regarding that:

From last year:

Q: After Final Fantasy XV, what kind of game would you like to make?

A: There will definitely be something next. And I’d like to challenge something large-scaled, too. It won’t be a sequel to Final Fantasy XV, and not a series that follows the flow as seen in the Final Fantasy Type-0 series.
From a few weeks ago:

Final Fantasy 15 Director Answers Tough Questions Following Delay

In terms of what we want to do with the technology, we want to use that technological foundation that we've built up with Final Fantasy XV and move on to do something completely new using that knowhow and that base. We're going to look into new directions with it.​

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Regarding that:

From last year:

Final Fantasy XV Director Has Big Plans For His Next Game:

Q: After Final Fantasy XV, what kind of game would you like to make?

A: There will definitely be something next. And I’d like to challenge something large-scaled, too. It won’t be a sequel to Final Fantasy XV, and not a series that follows the flow as seen in the Final Fantasy Type-0 series.

From a few weeks ago:​

Final Fantasy 15 Director Answers Tough Questions Following Delay

In terms of what we want to do with the technology, we want to use that technological foundation that we've built up with Final Fantasy XV and move on to do something completely new using that knowhow and that base. We're going to look into new directions with it.​
Do you just have like a database of every link ever?

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Yep, a nice interview. Tabata sounds like a good man to be managing XV. Nomura can then concentrate on further bamboozling us with the latest development of his Kingdom Hearts saga. Seriously, can it get any more convoluted? The way that story twists and turns, not to mention the amount of platforms it's on, all but gives me a headache. That's not counting the near-constant revisions and additions he's made.

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
Oct 19, 2013
Good interview. I feel for Tabata - he must have had so many sleepless nights over this game! To me though it seems like he's doing his damn best to make this game special.

"You'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day ..."

"There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

"I knew whatever lifespan I'd already shortened with Type-0 would be even further shortened with 15," Tabata says. "But after a minute or two of thinking it over, I thought, 'That shouldn't be much of a problem.'"

It's not just sleep Tabata is sacrificing, either. As a husband, and as a father to a daughter in kindergarten, he says the time he spends at home never feels like enough. He cranks into the early hours of the morning during the week in order to spend his weekends playing with his daughter or eating with his wife. His own alone time is nearly non-existent, pushed back into the hours he spends in the car on the way to work.
Final Fantasy Type-0

"In the car, I listen to music," Tabata says. "That's all I really do. In essence, that's the only place where I listen to music now."

Yet by taking on these projects — and by tackling Final Fantasy 15 specifically — Tabata feels that the reward will outweigh the work.

"I can finally kind of be on the same battlefield as some of the globally popular AAA titles, the major hits," Tabata says. "That's been one of the best feelings that's come from working on this."

There's something special about watching Final Fantasy fans get excited, too, he says. Tabata says it's worth all the struggle when a game is finally released and feedback comes pouring in. Criticism is only a temporary setback, and it inspires him want to work harder. But the real joy is finding the players who enjoy the team's work.

[...]

"I think it was at that point that I started to feel like it's OK — it's really not a big deal if I'm shortening my lifespan to bring enjoyment to others. That's when my mindset started to change."

[...]

"I put everything into all the titles that I create," Tabata says. "Final Fantasy sticks in many people's memories, so ... if I'm bringing a positive outlook to those who are playing it, if I'm delivering a positive experience — then I guess yes, it'll be great to be remembered as someone who was part of the franchise.

"It's really the drive to create the best experience. Something that surpasses everything ... That's just what Final Fantasy development is like."​