Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016

"You'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day ..."

"There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

"I knew whatever lifespan I'd already shortened with Type-0 would be even further shortened with 15," Tabata says. "But after a minute or two of thinking it over, I thought, 'That shouldn't be much of a problem.'"

It's not just sleep Tabata is sacrificing, either. As a husband, and as a father to a daughter in kindergarten, he says the time he spends at home never feels like enough. He cranks into the early hours of the morning during the week in order to spend his weekends playing with his daughter or eating with his wife. His own alone time is nearly non-existent, pushed back into the hours he spends in the car on the way to work.
Final Fantasy Type-0

"In the car, I listen to music," Tabata says. "That's all I really do. In essence, that's the only place where I listen to music now."

Yet by taking on these projects — and by tackling Final Fantasy 15 specifically — Tabata feels that the reward will outweigh the work.

"I can finally kind of be on the same battlefield as some of the globally popular AAA titles, the major hits," Tabata says. "That's been one of the best feelings that's come from working on this."

There's something special about watching Final Fantasy fans get excited, too, he says. Tabata says it's worth all the struggle when a game is finally released and feedback comes pouring in. Criticism is only a temporary setback, and it inspires him want to work harder. But the real joy is finding the players who enjoy the team's work.

[...]

"I think it was at that point that I started to feel like it's OK — it's really not a big deal if I'm shortening my lifespan to bring enjoyment to others. That's when my mindset started to change."

[...]

"I put everything into all the titles that I create," Tabata says. "Final Fantasy sticks in many people's memories, so ... if I'm bringing a positive outlook to those who are playing it, if I'm delivering a positive experience — then I guess yes, it'll be great to be remembered as someone who was part of the franchise.

"It's really the drive to create the best experience. Something that surpasses everything ... That's just what Final Fantasy development is like."​
R.E.S.P.E.C.T to him. I appreciate all the time and effort that he and the team are putting in to the game, but I feel a bit sad in a way that he's quite happy to "shorten his life" to provide us with a good game.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I thought Wild magic was the Ring magic Tabata talked about, but... in the menu screen you can see one tab with "?" and another tab for the ring, so I guess there's another type of magic?

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
@Storm yeah apparently (and I'm not sure where I heard this) but you can find wild magic the same way you can find the elemental magic. So I assume the ring magic is going to be different.

Also, since you have the ring magic as an equippable, what do you guys think that means overall? Like, will we be able to find magic, or will it be another craftable thing and then you equip that crafted magic from the ring magic tab? Or will it be like "find/encounter these spells, now you can learn them and use them". Cause we have seen enemies using spells. Hmm...that's actually a good idea for Wild magic. Having magic that you learn from the enemies.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Btw, does anyone know when the PAX West ATR thing is happening? I just wanna know if I have to miss out viewing it live or not. Also, is there going to be like a live chat going on for it? I know people on the Official FFXV forums used to do that (idk if they still do, I haven't visited the place in ages)

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Can't watch the video right now, but could it be that one of the symbols is a slot for the summons? I honestly can't remember if there's a specific menu for Astrals.

And I think that it's fair to assume that, if any other AAA is gonna use Luminous after XV, it'd be Tabata's new game?

I hope it's a new AAA Jrpg series. I'm tired of automatically only thinking about FF, KH and DQ as the only big ones S-E has to offer from that side.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Hmm you're right, one of them could be for Summons. But isn't the whole thing with summons is that they are sort of environment based? I hope so its more contextual than just choosing which one you want and then being limited to the area.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
@LeonBlade
6:04 or 6:05
EDIT: Okay so while watching I realized Hollie differentiated between "Wild" and the "Question mark"
Swords, Great Swords, Polearms, Daggers, Firearms, Shields, Machines, Royal Arms, Ice, Fire, Lightning, Wild Magic, ?

And we know that in the list that matches up with those except Wild Magic lines up with the ? and Ring Magic with the ? so what is what? Either way, it seems that Wild Magic is a thing, it might just mean Ring Magic though (the classic magic spells).

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

Noctis can use a sniper :D
Thinking about it, how would guns work? I'm not sure if the "hold down action button" would work well with this type of weapons since (going by how magic is used) by holding down Noctis would be in "aiming mode" (ala Resident Evil 4) and would only shoot after realing the action button (this later part is speculation of mine based on the magic mechanique) and then return to his normal stance. However, we know that he can fire in multiple sucessions as shown here (1:39-1:43), how exactly that works?

Jul 16, 2015
Could be but let's all hope this is how it looks rendered in real time. This looks much more presentable then what they showed at the Uncovered event hate to have to say that. I think the game looks gorgeous but that one part from the World of Final Fantasy trailer where it showed Altissia looked unfinished to me.