Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I've listened, and I don't think Titan's saying "Son of Odin". He's saying "Son of Man". With the extra bit, it's almost like he's saying "Son of Man, hold on" or "hold it". Then again, we mustn't forget that the Astrals are supposed to speak in a tongue uninteligable to humans, so it could just be random phrases distorted to sound like otherwordly speech.

Oh, interesting thought. If the rumours about New Game+ are true, maybe one of the little extras is translating the Astrals' words for the player.
I'm 100% sure that Titan isn't speaking any English here. Titan sounds the same no matter what language you pick, and besides, it sounds completely unintelligible in later parts of the fight when he speaks again.

http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/download/calendar FFXV Calendar for downloads. (Please can someone either tell me how to sign up, or download+reupload them so I can dl them :p)
Likely involves creating a JP SE account. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Ah... you already got it! Thanks!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy

this is a must read

"On Tetsuya Nomura

Tetsuya Nomura, the artist who designed many of Square's best-known characters was promoted to the role of director on one of the company's next major titles, Final Fantasy Versus 13, to plug the gap. Despite his studied nonchalance in interviews, Nomura, now one of the company's most senior staff was reportedly an anxious director (during one event in Tokyo a few years ago, when early footage of the game was shown to fans, Nomura sat backstage in front of a monitor relaying live footage of the crowd's faces, so he could watch their reaction in real time.) The game lunged in different directions and, at some point, Nomura was removed from the project. Presumably to recoup sunk costs, the game was retooled and retitled as the next entry to the company's flagship series."

holy shit lol

"The office, cavernous, brightly lit, with endless phalanxes of desks arranged in orderly rows, is full of the sound of muted chatter. Here and there staff test the game at seemingly random points of the adventure. Lines of debug code flit in front of the images, providing a kind of programmer's narration of the action. Around them mock-up advertisements designed to deck out a subway train carriage line the walls. Next to them, a series of widescreen blackboards scrawled with encouraging messages from the series' fans in silver pen."

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Your morning reading for the day:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy

Couple of excerpts that stood out to me:

Why the openness? "That's our philosophy," says Hasegawa. "We've had to be open and honest with each other, so it makes sense we'd do the same with others. If we want to speak to people around the world, how can you not be open, admit your flaws, try to point out your victories?"
The team is not so open to tell us the story of what went wrong with Final Fantasy Versus 13, the game that morphed into Final Fantasy 15 in 2012, however. That may never be known (one Square employee tells me that Tabata and Hasegawa began telling him the story, over a drunken dinner, last year, and didn't stop talking for three hours) but there are obvious clues.
Apparently it was worse than we thought. This puts the comments by that NeoGAF guy in sharp relief.

A few days after announcing the major team changes, the director booked a retreat in Tokyo for his new clutch of team leaders. There, the director told his staff that they weren't going to leave the room until they had come up with a list of golden rules by which they would all agree to abide. When the team finally emerged, they had settled upon a defining philosophy.
  1. Don't put the brakes on others' work.
  2. Recognise others' core values; welcome all ideas.
  3. Make goals clear, and share information with transparency.
  4. Speak openly and honestly with everyone.
  5. Go beyond the scope of your duties.
  6. Cherish your health and your loved ones' happiness.
I'm going to steal this.

"That stayed with me," Tabata told me. "There's always someone who is better than you. You can't ever be on top. Or, even if you do get there, there will always be someone who overtakes you eventually." If Tabata could not triumph as an individual, he decided that he could triumph by creating the best team of individuals. "I want to create a winning team," he says.
I can't begin to tell you how much I agree with this statement. It's one of the hardest lessons I've ever had to learn.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
"Final Fantasy 15 is, like any video game that had demanded this much of its makers - the long nights, the spoiled relationships, the incoming RSI - a labour of back-ruining effort, and of heart-swelling love."

I can only imagine how much stress and personal relationship problems the staff had to endure to make this game a reality with the long nights and days working on this.

This is why I don't like it when gamers flame the director and the staff whenever there is a delay, or when something is not perfect.

Back in the Nintendo 64 and PS1 days gamers enjoyed games for what they were and were ecstatic whenever a new game came out. Bugs and glitches were part of the charm of the game, and people ignored it and focused on the overall picture of enjoying the game.

Nowadays, before a game even comes out, we have people complaining, nitpicking, criticising, and talking as if they can do a much better job than the staff. Sad how gamers have spiralled downwards...

So many people like to talk as if they can do a much better job and are familiar with the process of game development.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
"We were allowed to recognise that we had so much to understand in terms of the tech we were working with, in terms of the open world design, in terms of learning how to broaden the game's appeal beyond its niche." In this way, Tabata changed the atmosphere in the studio from one where everyone was afraid about what they might lose, to one where everyone was enlivened by the prospect of what they had to gain.

So much respect for Tabata as a director and manager. A lot of companies and businesses out there could learn a lot from Tabata's philosophy on this.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Holy crap man those designs!! The conductor looking people are probably from that big trainstation and whatever city that is from. The Military, WW1 looking characters at the top look fantastic! DUDE this game is literally merging all world influences from different time periods, HOW are they doing it so well. I need this game now

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Apparently not an astronaut suit, but more like a hazmat suit for the operators of that thing in Lestallum. Look at the bottom left npc, they are holding a helmet that looks exactly like the one on the "astronaut" suit.
Also another thing, that umbrella holding chick looks awfully familiar :p