Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Oct 19, 2013
That's just a quick teaser though. The only thing I see wrong with that is that it's the xbox version. :p

That's just plain ol advertising. You couldn't capture FFXV in 30 seconds, either.

*Note: Watched with sound off, for all I know that ruins everything.

Edit: What's more concerning to me is Troy Baker's hair.
What is TV advertisment supposed to do if not convey the value of a product? You could've shown cleanly cut footage of walking around and a few seconds of cutscenes from the International trailer or something. At least so that you could visually read the footage. They literally took quick cuts from the one CG cutscene of the that's notorious for being badly edited (the Eden race-track invasion) and showed them in small moving picture-in-picture frames.

You could do a good 30 seconds-long ad for FFXV, I'm sure. Show a few seconds of the car-drviving, then a few secs of walking through a huge vista, then one of those dope Link Attack animations and using Fire, then Titan grabbing Noctis, a few seconds of set-piece, and in the end Noctis standing underneath the moon looking up. Done. Perfect ad. Hire me, Tabby.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
What is TV advertisment supposed to do if not convey the value of a product? You could've shown cleanly cut footage of walking around and a few seconds of cutscenes from the International trailer or something. At least so that you could visually read the footage. They literally took quick cuts from the one CG cutscene of the that's notorious for being badly edited (the Eden race-track invasion) and showed them in small moving picture-in-picture frames.

You could do a good 30 seconds-long ad for FFXV, I'm sure. Show a few seconds of the car-drviving, then a few secs of walking through a huge vista, then one of those dope Link Attack animations and using Fire, then Titan grabbing Noctis, a few seconds of set-piece, and in the end Noctis standing underneath the moon looking up. Done. Perfect ad. Hire me, Tabby.
I don't know too many commercials that accurately reflect their product. It's all about flashing some stuff in people's faces and getting the name out there. That's just how advertising works. It doesn't have to get you to understand the game, it's just gotta pique your interest enough to google it.

Oct 19, 2013
I don't know too many commercials that accurately reflect their product. It's all about flashing some stuff in people's faces and getting the name out there. That's just how advertising works. It doesn't have to get you to understand the game, it's just gotta pique your interest enough to google it.
Well, I wouldn't have googled FFXIII after that ad if I had never heard of it before :D

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Commercials might not need to accurately reflect their product (they generally aim to make the product seem as appealing as possible whether the product deserves it or not), but they need to do more than just get their product's name out there.

What that entails can vary significantly based on the product, of course -- a commercial for a luxury car needs to be many times classier than a commercial for a bright purple toy crossbow. But I think entertainment products like games and movies might be held to a higher standard than average, since what's being sold is just as audio-visually focused as the medium that's being used to sell it. Not to mention, games are short-tail products, so their publishers need to do everything they can to make sure people remember their commercials after only a couple of views (since that's probably all they'll ever see).

As such, a good game commercial needs to not only catch the audience's attention, it needs to be memorable in at least the medium term and provide a sufficient hook to convince the audience to give the game (or at least its long-form trailers) a chance.

I suspect that XIII's problem re: advertising was that it didn't really have the sort of hook Squenix needed to lure in the audience it actually wanted, so they just went for obfuscation in hopes that people might take a look out of curiosity, or... something. XV shouldn't have that problem, though; open world RPGs are super popular nowadays, and the ridiculously huge sense of scale makes for a great USP.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
You know whats funny? We have yet to see anyone important from Altissia yet. There has to be a few important characters there dont you think? Same with Tenebrae, Luna and Gentiana can't be the only two characters from there.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Maxim and Leona Lewis in my Final Fantasy? The darkest of times for me. Made me think FF was finally not for me anymore.

I'm unfortunately made to remember that commercial with Leona Lewis 'playing' the game. It was weird and soulless.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I will never not feel shanked in the throat for how they went out of their way to replace natural beauty like Kimi ga iru kara with something outrageously bland & vapid as My Hands.

Localization feels like a massive trial these days.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I'm glad they're putting actual gameplay into teaser trailers. Not like some companies (like almost every shooter I can think of, and a few others like Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed) that seem to rely on CGI/Scripted sequences to sell the game, which is actually a bit counterproductive if you want to sell an interactive experience.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Fair enough to those who like it. But to me, My Hands sounded like generic, repetative, flat, droning, soulless teen pop crap that should never be in an FF game.

There was no emotion or power behind it which made it forgetful, bland, uninspirational and detrimental to the ears.
I agree.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm glad they're putting actual gameplay into teaser trailers. Not like some companies (like almost every shooter I can think of, and a few others like Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed) that seem to rely on CGI/Scripted sequences to sell the game, which is actually a bit counterproductive if you want to sell an interactive experience.
I agree with that sentiment (I rambled a bit about this topic a few weeks ago).

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
But the OMEN trailer did that...

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
But the OMEN trailer did that...
The Omen trailer isn't really the same as a TV or theatrical trailer, to be fair -- given its method of release, it's unlikely it was intended to function as a first impression, and it wears its AU nature on its sleeve. It can't even be easily converted into a TV or (green band) theatrical trailer, given that its most compelling scenes are a bit too bloody for that.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with TV trailers, though. PS4 Pro footage could probably offer high enough IQ that using footage from the game engine for most of it wouldn't be out of the question.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Speaking of theme songs, anyone happy with Stand by Me being the theme song? I don't know about you but for me it felt exactly like what My Hands. Feels like Kiss Me Goodbye is the last 'great' FF theme song. Nothing after it moves me to tears. Well I will have to play the game to judge.
I will never not feel shanked in the throat for how they went out of their way to replace natural beauty like Kimi ga iru kara with something outrageously bland & vapid as My Hands.

Localization feels like a massive trial these days.
I still blame My Hands for making Kimi ga iru kara least well-known. The song isn't special but it had potential.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Stand By Me is much more fitting thematically. They also put the effort into putting the Prelude tune as the background tune to the song which is a nice touch. It has a level of class and relevance to it.
The song has a more classical feel to it with beautiful string instruments, created an almost soothing feel. And at points the choir like vocals adding to that.
The singers voice ranges from calm and powerful when needed throughout the track.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I'm very happy with what little I've heard from the XV ost overall.
A real return to form.
XIII's soundtrack was pretty boring and forgetful for me.
The only tracks that meant anything and stuck with me were Dust To Dust, Born Anew, Atonement and the Chocobo Theme.