Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
That's quite interesting.

Is there a link to this article? I'm quite curious to read it. I'm gonna be buying it again on PC so would be great to know what's in store for it (or the planning phase for it)
http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantas...-take-more-than-a-year-to-bring-it-to-the-pc/
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-xvs-pc-port-far-superior/
It's not going to be like Lightning Returns, think of it like GTA V wasn't ported it was recreated for PC.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
My predictions for Final Fantasy this generation:
FFXV and it's DLC
FFVII Remake all parts
FF1 Remake
Final Fantasy X-3
Kingslaive game(as likely as the Versus XV Trilogy)
(Final Fantasy Versus XV Trilogy? Or Just Two more FFXV sequels)(HEAVILY DEPENDENT UPON SALES LIKE 7.5-10 MILLION NEED TO BE REACHED IF THIS WERE TO TAKE PLACE)

9th Generation predictions:
FF8 Remake
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy IX Remake or sequel
Final Fantasy Spin-Offs, remasters, sequels
Final Fantasy XVII

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Ignoring FFVIIR and FFXV...

Is no one else excited that the entire FF family is coming to a single platform? This was the most exciting news for me.
I am!

I haven't played a few of the past titles so I'm quite excited about being able to play every single game in the series, with them being conveniently packaged to boot!

Of course that article was just a rumour based one but I wouldn't be surprised if they did release the past titles in a single package like that xD

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
I am!

I haven't played a few of the past titles so I'm quite excited about being able to play every single game in the series, with them being conveniently packaged to boot!

Of course that article was just a rumour based one but I wouldn't be surprised if they did release the past titles in a single package like that xD
Knowing Square they will probably do it.
FF1-6 exist on Android so porting them to PS4/Vita shouldn't be too trouble some
7-11, as well as the 13 trilogy exist on PC so porting them to the PS4 won't be too tough
12 is a matter of just packaging since the PS4 Version would have already exists, same with 14, and XV.

For the FF1-9 Vita version and PS4 Version, they may need to get an expanded storage for Vita, maybe a Switch version might happen.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yknow at first I didn't get what you were trying to say (since I don't play games on PC) but after reading the articles, now I do.

"I’m quite positive about the idea of developing a PC version. This version could incorporate things that we were forced to abandon because of the limitations of home consoles. With the PC, this would be an opportunity to release a version far superior in terms of quality and tech. That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use.

It might not be a simple port of the console version."

All this time I thought PC version simply meant a direct port but with the graphics and frame rate sped up. How silly of me xD

But yes, if they do decide to create a superior version of the game by incorporating stuff that they had to abandon because of console limitations.... phwoar that's quite exciting to think about!

I'm ok with this.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
No I dont think they will announce any of that this early, they are still working at xv dlc now maybe next year at the earliest. Im only 10% sure that versus reboot games are actually coming though only if Nomura really wants to do it and Square thinks its really viable will it happen. Although I really do want it to happen.

Reasons it might happen: Versus Was Nomuras dream game and now that XV was so successful they might put him on a reboot, or a XV-2 in a new reality, like if the original XV occured in a dream or occured in a different reality.

Reasons it might not happen: Nomura is tired and dosent want to work on it anymore and square just wants to move on from the XV universe. Tabata keeps his word of it being one confined game. Also if the Versus script just isnt viable anymore. Like they rewrote it so many times and it just wasent a good script (I know I say that Versus was a going to be a great story but there is a chance it might not have been)

Really if a Versus reboot isnt possible, I just want a Directors cut of XV itself with all of its "cut content" included in it.
If they were going to do anything XIII/T0/XV related, I'd rather it was an original project rather than extending a story that (to be fair) did have a full, ultimately satisfying and very moving conclusion (still, with X-2 around, we know that hasn't stopped SQEX from following up on the final). And as to the main series, I'd like them to move onto fresh things, keep the remakes and remasters to a minimum, barring VIIR of course...

And, about Nomura, he's working on VIIR and a few other projects, so I don't think he has the time or energy to invest in a Versus reboot. Besides, looking at how VIIR is evolving, it looks like he's bringing some of his original vision for Versus into the gameplay there.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
If they were going to do anything XIII/T0/XV related, I'd rather it was an original project rather than extending a story that (to be fair) did have a full, ultimately satisfying and very moving conclusion (still, with X-2 around, we know that hasn't stopped SQEX from following up on the final). And as to the main series, I'd like them to move onto fresh things, keep the remakes and remasters to a minimum, barring VIIR of course...

And, about Nomura, he's working on VIIR and a few other projects, so I don't think he has the time or energy to invest in a Versus reboot. Besides, looking at how VIIR is evolving, it looks like he's bringing some of his original vision for Versus into the gameplay there.
Nomura could be taken off some projects to work on a Versus XV however that is if FFXV sells past the 7.5 million barrier between a Versus XV happening and not happening. Thing is I bet Square Enix after FFVII Remake would want projects that are guaranteed hits, until the next generation after they work out all the kinks in Luminous so they don't have another Versus XIII situation on there hands. I think of it like this

After FFXV and it's DLC
Square would want to work on getting all the kinks out of Luminous for their next FF game for next gen systems, so they will have people working on it. However they need something for this generation.
A Versus XV Trilogy
Kingslaive Game(Which will likely be a prelude to Versus XV)
Final Fantasy X-3
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy 1 Remake
This should give them enough revenue until the next generation of consoles which I suspect will be 2022-2025. If Final Fantasy XVI isn't an MMO if it's an MMO it will come out this generation.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Yknow at first I didn't get what you were trying to say (since I don't play games on PC) but after reading the articles, now I do.

"I’m quite positive about the idea of developing a PC version. This version could incorporate things that we were forced to abandon because of the limitations of home consoles. With the PC, this would be an opportunity to release a version far superior in terms of quality and tech. That said, if we choose to develop this project, the development will start from scratch by doing research of what would be the best technology to use.

It might not be a simple port of the console version."

All this time I thought PC version simply meant a direct port but with the graphics and frame rate sped up. How silly of me xD

But yes, if they do decide to create a superior version of the game by incorporating stuff that they had to abandon because of console limitations.... phwoar that's quite exciting to think about!

I'm ok with this.
If they add gameplay exclusive stuff to the port it would cause and outrage (and IMO this one would be justified).

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
If they add gameplay exclusive stuff to the port it would cause and outrage (and IMO this one would be justified).
I dunno. Personally I'd be fine with it.

I mean I do understand that with PC, you can do stuff that you just can't do on a normal console no matter how hard you try.

I'm a console gamer, but I do see that it is very restrictive in what the developers are able to pull off in their games because of it.

Which means consoles, in a way, are a very toned down version of what the developers want us to see because they have to work around the limited hardware the console has.

What's your take on it Lulcielid? Can you elaborate?

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
If the PC port were to have exclusive features they should only be visuals, special effects, FPS and performance. Gameplay should remain the same in all platforms.
You mentioned gameplay, so I'm interpreting that as the combat system only.

Would you include the story scenario too?

Thinking closely on it, I can see why people would be peeved to be missing out if they didn't own a powerful enough PC to experience the game if it is entirely built from the ground up with new scenarios and gameplay as hinted at in the article (if this will actually happen at all is another thing).

I can see people not appreciating having paid for the day one edition, only to realise later on that there's a better version so they'll need to buy again.

Even so, I think sales would be quite high if they did do what the article suggested. People would be angry yes, but the sales would still be quite strong.

I dunno... I might be weird here but I'm ok with buying games again, but only if I deem them worthwhile if course.

I own multiple copies of Ocarina of Time. N64, Gamecube (x2 since one came with the Zelda collectors edition, which had majoras mask, and the one that came with Wind Waker), and the 3ds version.

It's probably not a popular opinion here but another way to look at it is, I think a game being completely different on another platform would be enough reason to buy the game again to experience the new stuff, especially if I enjoyed it immensely the first time around.

Edit: just though up of a scenario in which I had to buy a game twice to experience new additions. GTA4: Episodes of Liberty City and the original base GTA4.

Granted I didn't find it that enjoyable but I was willing to buy it again just to play the two episodes - which were great.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Anyone here played GTA5 on both console and PC?

If so, can you explain on just how big a difference between the two are?

@Hey Everyone

For GTA5, are we talking differences between story, or gameplay, when it comes to comparing PC and console?

Just trying to gauge on a possible scenario for the future PC version of FFXV.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Anyone here played GTA5 on both console and PC?

If so, can you explain on just how big a difference between the two are?

@Hey Everyone

For GTA5, are we talking differences between story, or gameplay, when it comes to comparing PC and console?

Just trying to gauge on a possible scenario for the future PC version of FFXV.
No more like how GTA V wasn't a port of the console versions it was build alongside the console versions.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
You mentioned gameplay, so I'm interpreting that as the combat system only.

Would you include the story scenario too?
There's no reason why anything related to the story should be limited to high-spec PCs. Even if there was some technical limitation making a specific scene impossible to render in realtime on console, they can always patch it in as an in-engine cutscene. =P

Anyway, it's important to remember that PC ports always deal with a range of specs instead of just aiming for the most powerful PCs out there. As such, it makes far more sense for Squenix to add high-spec options than to add core features that require high-spec PCs to play. I suspect that Tabata was talking about stuff like Light Propogation Volumes/Virtual Spherical Gaussian Lights tech for real-time Global Illumination that was developed for Luminous but couldn't be used due to console limitations, because those could easily be linked to a toggle so people with weaker computers could still play the game.

Personally, I think the biggest advantage PC will end up having will be draw distance. My understanding is that console versions of open world games tend to use medium settings in general but custom low settings for draw distance due to the weak CPUs used by current-gen consoles, so one can expect the PC version to make significant improvements in that area.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Not a fan of PC exclusive gameplay features either, hope they never consider that. Sales are one thing but i wouldn't put that at the expense of console owners who make up the majority of XV's sales.