Kazuyuki Ikumori would like to make a FFX movie

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
In an interview with Siliconera, Kazuyuki Ikumori the director of Visual Works has said he "would love to!" make another full CGI movie using Square Enix's IP library. When asked what he would personally like to make he said "I would like to make a title tied to the Final Fantasy series since it is so well known globally. I would probably pick a past title like Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X because those stories are complete and I wouldn’t want to ruin a game that is still ongoing. Since the stories in VIII and X have concluded it is easier to make those into movies and tell a story instead of trying to incorporate gameplay."

This follows Kazushige Nojima, the main scenario writer of Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2 writing the infamous novella and audio drama following X-2: Last Mission and saying he'd like to make a Final Fantasy X-3.

I really wonder what Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase think about doing another entry in the FFX series.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
You forgot where he said Final Fantasy VIII, this is a little misleading when you specifically say X when he does clearly point out VIII. Also, note that he says that the story is "finished" for both of these games, meaning it wouldn't have any connections to a X-3 in any ways.

As for Toryiama's reception? He'd probably love it, since he loves rehashing old content it seems.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
You forgot where he said Final Fantasy VIII, this is a little misleading when you specifically say X when he does clearly point out VIII. Also, note that he says that the story is "finished" for both of these games, meaning it wouldn't have any connections to a X-3 in any ways.

As for Toryiama's reception? He'd probably love it, since he loves rehashing old content it seems.
For all you know the sequels are Kitase's ideas.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I would rather see an FFVIII movie than an FFX one for some reason. I guess because FFX and its cutscenes almost made it seem movie-like already.

And VIII was so delightfully bizarre that I would kind of like to see something along those lines again. Dunno if it would be a crowd pleaser though because it had so many weird stupid things in it too (ferocious dinosaurs kept on a school campus? And zombie hockey players at another school? As far as weird goes I actually loved that)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I would rather see an FFVIII movie than an FFX one for some reason. I guess because FFX and its cutscenes almost made it seem movie-like already.

And VIII was so delightfully bizarre that I would kind of like to see something along those lines again. Dunno if it would be a crowd pleaser though because it had so many weird stupid things in it too (ferocious dinosaurs kept on a school campus? And zombie hockey players at another school? As far as weird goes I actually loved that)
The problem with VIII though I see is, other than Nomura there wouldn't really be anyone to direct. Kitase clearly isn't going to direct again. I've heard Toriyama was an uncredited event planner, but that's not enough to direct a sequel.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

I'd rather see VIII as well, X has had enough spotlight honestly.

The problem with VIII though I see is, other than Nomura there wouldn't really be anyone to direct. Kitase clearly isn't going to direct again. I've heard Toriyama was an uncredited event planner, but that's not enough to direct a sequel.
Not like Nomura hasn't directed a movie already.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Very true, but I've never seen anyone discuss a sequel to VIII. Haha.
To be fair, I don't see anyone discussing any other sequels either, the only reason X-3 has been a "thing" lately has to do with novelizations and other rumors and speculations. Quite honestly, most people probably don't care if they made a sequel to either of these, but a movie is something entirely different. A movie about VIII would be incredible, imagine seeing the Gardens in today's graphical qualities, or Esthar, it would be breathtaking. A movie on X I don't think would be set in X-3 because it would mean people needed to play X-2 as well as read the novelizations which most people don't care about, nor are they any good.

It's pretty infamous how X-2.5 has the scene where Tidus mistakens a bomb for a blitzball and literally blows his own head off and Yuna passes out from shock... What the fuck...?

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
To be fair, I don't see anyone discussing any other sequels either, the only reason X-3 has been a "thing" lately has to do with novelizations and other rumors and speculations. Quite honestly, most people probably don't care if they made a sequel to either of these, but a movie is something entirely different. A movie about VIII would be incredible, imagine seeing the Gardens in today's graphical qualities, or Esthar, it would be breathtaking. A movie on X I don't think would be set in X-3 because it would mean people needed to play X-2 as well as read the novelizations which most people don't care about, nor are they any good.

It's pretty infamous how X-2.5 has the scene where Tidus mistakens a bomb for a blitzball and literally blows his own head off and Yuna passes out from shock... What the fuck...?
X is the only good thing to come from the X universe. X-2 has decent gameplay but it ruins almost everything that made X good, story and character wise.
Toriyama should stop rehashing shit and make something new or preferably make nothing at all.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I don't see how it would work. FFVIII is a fisnished story and there's nothing to add there. What could possibly happen in the sequel? Unless they go with the R=U theory... that could be interesting.
And X? As much as I'm sure a movie following that crap novella would be a bizarre experience, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to watch it.

Oct 19, 2013

Haha, yeah. See the link to some of the translations from my post before :D Unbelievably silly stuff in there.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Personally I think they shouldn't make any movie ever again. They're just not good at it and you simply can't compress the fascination of a Final Fantasy game into a 2h movie. Visual works always does mindblowing CG stuff but it mainly works so well because its context based implemented.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Personally I think they shouldn't make any movie ever again. They're just not good at it and you simply can't compress the fascination of a Final Fantasy game into a 2h movie. Visual works always does mindblowing CG stuff but it mainly works so well because its context based implemented.
Not good at it? Advent Children was good. It actually has pretty decent reviews as well for a niche movie like this. If SE can make a game, they can make a movie...

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Not good at it? Advent Children was good. It actually has pretty decent reviews as well for a niche movie like this.
Advent Children was ok. Animation wise it was awesome but story wise it was pretty meh.

If SE can make a game, they can make a movie...
I totally disagree here. There's a huge difference between creating a 50h RPG and creating a 2hour movie. You can't simply compress the story of a game and translate it into a movie by cutting several things . Pacing, dramaturgy and story need to be created in totally different ways.