1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

The Latest on Mistwalker

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Squirrel Emperor, Oct 20, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Stealth

Stealth Red Wings Commander

I still think they are working on a Wii U game

2. Crystal Power

Crystal Power ShinRa SOLDIER

Okay, it's great to know all this. I certainly learned a lot from you. :)

Also, sorry I'm replying so late. It's been 10 days, yikes! ^^;;

3. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Not that it's major news, but Sakaguchi did post a picture of an Xbox One & Titanfall to his Facebook feed... then deleted it when people started to melt down in their comments. Poor guy!

4. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Somebody forgot to pay the bills. Happens!

6. Squirrel Emperor

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    Nikolasvanitas likes this.
  7. Crystal Power

If it's on Xbox I most likely won't get to play whatever it might be. So why does Mistwalker hate Playstation again??? ^^;;

8. Squirrel Emperor

I don't know the story.

However, I don't see Sony targeting Sakaguchi anyway as they're betting on AAA titles this generation and he hasn't exactly been producing high quality stuff since he left Square.

Crystal Power likes this.
  9. Crystal Power

Okay, I would have loved if Blue Dragon was on Playstation 3 as well. That game was really the only game that make me wish I had my Xbox 360 back. Well that and Tales of Vesperia, but that game has a superior version on PS3. To bad that version won't ever be localized but, meh. Still Have other Tales games to play. :- )

10. ScienceNonfiction

ScienceNonfiction ShinRa SOLDIER

I dunno, The Last Story was pretty good. Can't exactly speak of any other Mistwalker games though, seeing as how TLS is the only one I've played. I've heard great things about Lost Odyssey however.

11. Squirrel Emperor

I liked The Last Story too but if you're Sony and you look at his output, is it a risk worth taking?

12. Nikolasvanitas

Nikolasvanitas PSICOM Soldier

True but there is always a chance that their next JRPg may be successfull,Sakaguchi can still make good games,I think that if he could work on a project for a Sony console and have support from Sony he could make something really good
    Looking at how Tales is supporting Sony with Jrpgs why not have Mistwalker add more to the catalogue?
    I know,I know daydreaming
    [​IMG]

13. APZonerunner

I think Microsoft still sort of remain the best hope for them. The Nintendo games were commercially swings and misses, and while they weren't break-out hits, the games they did with MS were solid. Sony probably have better places to spend their money, especially considering they need to strongly consider their budget thanks to the rest of the company performing far behind the gaming section...

Tornak likes this.
  14. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

As much as I would like a return to Sony (since I'm planning to buy a PS4 when it's cheaper and has actual games), I agree, and it would be for the best.

I really liked the MS of the beginning of 360, supporting a good variety of games. Lost Odyssey has to be the only game I really envy of 360 (I mean, there are others, but nothing comes close), so if the Gooch is making something similar to that (whether a new IP or a sequel to LO) it would be huge... at least for me. I don't know about potential buyers, but I think it would be helpful, for sure.

What Sakaguchi needs is more people helping him helming a project, not only in the development process, but also in the creative side. So, with that, and MS funding it and giving him a good amount of developers would be great, since I think he still has it (LO felt like it had much more FF soul than XIII, which isn't very hard, but...)

BTW, I hope that someday they make something out of my avatar. I've always loved this design and how it basically is a realistic rendition of Blue Dragon (another game I'd love to play, even if looks like it's considered worse).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  15. Squirrel Emperor

When it comes to Nintendo, games like Eternal Darkness, The Wonderful 101, Pandora's Tower and The Last Story fall under the risk category. They don't mind taking risks but if the games don't sell well, then they probably won't revisit them. If they work with the developers down the road, they'll probably want them to create something else instead of a sequel.

Part of me thinks another reason why we won't see The Last Story 2 or something else from Mistwalker on a Nintendo platform is because of Monolith Soft's upcoming game. It covers that area and Xenoblade: Chronicles sold better then The Last Story.

16. Joshua

Joshua PSICOM Soldier

Seeing this thread bump made me do some random Googling, and again I'm depressed by what I found. Consider this the "Where are they now" follow-up of one of the major creative talents behind Mistwalker games. I figured if I could look into what this guy is doing, perhaps it could key us into whether we'd see any new MW activity.

So we all know that Mistwalker relied heavily on AQ Interactive and some of its subsidiaries for the production of their Big 3 games (companies like Artoon and feelplus). The guy from that arrangement that stands out is Takuya Matsumoto - who was Director of Blue Dragon, and then the Lead Designer of The Last Story (Sakaguchi "directed" that game himself). You could argue he was the most important person behind those 2 productions behind Sakaguchi/Uematsu, as he was actually responsible for making the games.

It seems now that after a good 9 years at Artoon and 1+ years at AQ after Artoon got folded up, he is now just a developer within a smaller a company named GeePlus, Inc. Here is their corporate description: https://www.geeplus.jp/company/. What does Google translator say? "Planning, development and operation of entertainment content that specializes in mobile · F2P".

Here is his public LinkedIn profile which shows his employment and role history: http://jp.linkedin.com/in/matsumototakuya

17. Joshua

Joshua PSICOM Soldier

Holy smokes!

Final Fantasy creator to reveal new project next week

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/final-fantasy-creator-reveal-new-project-next-week
    http://www.japan-expo-paris.com/en/...asy-creator-and-mistwalker-founder_102805.htm

18. Squirrel Emperor

19. Joshua

Joshua PSICOM Soldier

20. Squirrel Emperor

Joshua likes this.
Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!