Ace Attorney

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Frei

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
OBJECTION!

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies comes out for the 3DS digital-only on the 24th October! Let's get hype!

Ace Attorney is a series about anime lawyers fighting crime and defeating the opposition to find true justice. It divides its time between point-and-click detectiving, and courtroom sections involving cross-examining witnesses, presenting evidence and examining items and photographs. Shu Takumi was the driving force behind this series for a long time.

The first game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was originally released on the GBA in Japan and rereleased in English for the DS with an extra case, Rise from the Ashes. Its five cases are considered classics in the series! It introduces the main characters in the series: Phoenix himself, Mia Fey his mentor, Maya Fey his assistant, and Miles Edgeworth, his rival, the demon prosecutor.

The second game is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All, (JFA for short), and features four cases. Many characters from the first game return. It introduces a new prosecutor, Franziska von Karma. There's a lot of negativity regarding this game, but its fourth and final case is a stellar example of what the series is all about.

Third in the series comes Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. It's T&T for short. This game takes a different approach; you play as different characters as the game progresses, although the focus is certainly still on our Phoenix. Like its predecessors it was released on the GBA, and is the first to naturally feature five cases on the DS port (AA1's fifth case was added just for the port). Once again it introduces characters who have become iconic, most notably the enigmatic Prosecutor Godot.

Number Four. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice. This is a huge departure from the series so far. Featuring a seven-year timeskip and an entirely new protagonist, the titular Apollo, it was poorly received at its release. It features four full-length cases and an almost entirely new cast of characters - with a few familiar faces.

Five! Ace Attorney Investigates: Miles Edgeworth. Another departure, this game took the series entirely off the rails. Starring fan favourite, fabled prosecutor Edgeworth, AAI features a whole new control system, with the player moving a sprite across the various maps. It also does away for the most part with the courtroom - a controversial decision.

Six, Gyakuten Kenji II - a sequel to AAI, unreleased in the West due to AAI's poor sales.

Six point five! Ace Attorney vs Professor Layton. This game is as yet unreleased outside of Japan, but will be available to the Western audience in 2014. It is a crossover between the AA series in Phoenix Wright's era, and Level Five's masterpiece the Professor Layton series (one of my favourites, and I'm sure to make a topic about it soon enough). It is written by Shu Takumi himself.

Seven!!

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

This game is released in the West on the 24th October. It appears to be following on from Apollo Justice, though the details are still unknown... This game is not written by Shu Takumi, who stepped back from the series after Apollo Justice flopped.

So! Anyone else as excited for DD as I am? :) What's your favourite game? Your favourite case?

Ciel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
I am pretty excited, but honestly I played all others so long ago that I don't really remember all the details on previous cases. I wonder if I'll be confused with any references.

From older games, my favorite case is probably the fifth one in the first game.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
This is absolutely one of my all-time favourite video game series', and I'm incredibly, incredibly excited for AA5. I'm really loving how all the different gameplay systems are coming together in this one game - Apollo's stuff, Phoenix's stuff, the new stuff from the new girl AND a deduction mechanic like the Edgeworth games. Pumped.

Frei

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Just over two weeks to go!!

I'm taking days off work for this game.

fufatch

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Poland
This thread needs a bump, so here we go!
Ace Attorney series is hands down the best thing I played on a portable device. It funny, sexy, well-written and if I were looking for an excuse to buy 3ds/2ds in a future it would definitely be because of Dual Destinies.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
The correct answer is this.

I didn't know that (First case, first day spoilers - the opening of the game)
Athena is a laywer! That took me completely by surprise, I thought she was just going to be another typical sidekick.
Cool change.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Have to confess I'm a touch bummed that it appears that certain characters won't appear in this game.

Gumshoe I didn't really expect, but given that Apollo is around I'm sad there's no Ema. I love her, she's my favourite :(