Am I the only one a bit tired of Final Fantasy XV? Where is my Final Fantasy XVI?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
I thought I would never say something like this but I'm really tired of Final Fantasy XV. I can't believe we still have one full year of updates coming. Am I alone with this feeling? If we consider the jorney from Versus XIII to Final Fantasy XV it has been more than 10 years talking about this game and I really think they should it let go.

I think Final Fantasy XV was a great game but I'm craving for new characters, worlds and stories... And there is no sign of a Final Fantasy XVI in the horizon. It's been more than 10 years since we are introduced to new main characters in the series... Yeah, since Lightning and Noctis itself in the Fabulla Nova Crystallis reveal:

I really think we needed fresh air in the series and not another full year of XV updates... I can't believe they didn't announce anything about FFXVI in E3 2018, not even a logo or something to hype things up. As you can see I'm very disappointed by now... Hope they surprise me in 2019 and don't talk only about Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

And yes, I'm looking forward to FFVII: Remake but my real wish is something new - that was the reason I loved the series from the beginning: every new game used to be a new world with new heroes and stories. It's time to feel that again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
i wouldnt say im tired of it because there is barely any talk about FFXV right now, but im really excited to know more about FFXVI.

maybe they are avoiding doing an early reveal so we dont get into a Versus/FFVIIR situation.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm personally not, because we spent time with XV for about a year and half, it's still a fresh experience and face.

Now you may say "But I was revealed back in 2006!" and my view on the matter is like this:

For over 10 years you pasively saw your neighbour but never deeply interact, talked or engaged with them in any significant manner (getting to know their personal history, ideology, preferences, etc) until year 11.

Can you say you spent 11 years knowing your neighbour or 1 year? My answer is the later.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
OT: This thread is being flagged as a phising scam for me in Google Chrome. Anyone else the same?

I think Final Fantasy XVI won't be revealed until the next-gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft are announced. It looks like the major goals At Square-Enix are to get Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake out the door. As well as maintain high interest in Final Fantasy XIV and offer original exclusive content for the Switch. Plus, are any teams aside from Tabata's available to work on Final Fantasy XVI at the moment? Personally, I think we won't hear about Final Fantasy XVI until late 2019 or 2020. At that point, Final Fantasy XV will have reached the end of its DLC journey, Kingdom Hearts III will be out, and Final Fantasy VII Remake will be nearing release/already released. That should free up quite a bit of resources for a full production cycle into Final Fantasy XVI.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
OT: This thread is being flagged as a phising scam for me in Google Chrome. Anyone else the same?

I think Final Fantasy XVI won't be revealed until the next-gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft are announced. It looks like the major goals At Square-Enix are to get Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake out the door. As well as maintain high interest in Final Fantasy XIV and offer original exclusive content for the Switch. Plus, are any teams aside from Tabata's available to work on Final Fantasy XVI at the moment? Personally, I think we won't hear about Final Fantasy XVI until late 2019 or 2020. At that point, Final Fantasy XV will have reached the end of its DLC journey, Kingdom Hearts III will be out, and Final Fantasy VII Remake will be nearing release/already released. That should free up quite a bit of resources for a full production cycle into Final Fantasy XVI.
yep same here

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier

It was a problem in one of the images, Leon fixed the problem for me. Thanks for reporting.

I've been tired of and cynical about it since at least 2016 and at this point, I'd be dishonest to say this didn't extend to all of Final Fantasy as it is right now. While XV isn't really that much of a talking point anymore, it still has a presence in discourse - some people just seem to love to bring it up as this massive mistake and are banging on about how the VII Remake is going to be so much better than it.

Also unlike a lot of people, I'm not looking forward to the VII Remake at all. I've never really been big on the original game and I felt it got trodded out too much during the mid-to-late noughties already with three additional games and the movie and the books. I'm happy for the people who really wanted this, but at the same time, I wish this was a side project to be released alongside XVI, preferably a XVI made in a visual and gameplay style different from both XV and the VII Remake. Because, and here's the part where I'll be getting some flak - I am supremely tired of both Nomura and the pseudo-SciFi style that have been dominant in single-player FF ever since XIII. Yes, there's XIV and there's The Zodiac Age - but at this point, this sort of aesthetic needs to be brought back to the single player space.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
I'm curious where they're going to go with the series. GAAS (strong multiplayer elements is a huge possibility) wouldn't surprise me at all. The rumours on ERA are that some of the senior members of XIV team who left the project after Heavensward released in 2015 have been working on it.
I do agree with the above, a new lead character designer would be very welcome. (But not Yoshida, his XII designs are bad, don't @ me.)

GAAS (strong multiplayer elements is a huge possibility) wouldn't surprise me at all.
I can see them chasing that trend for sure, though Square Enix Japan's output has been very much focussed on single-player as of late and the strong sales of games such as NieR: Automata and Octopath Traveler will probably influence some decisions in that regard. Kingdom Hearts III and Dragon Quest XI aren't small fry either and if they succeed, putting XVI out as a straight-up single-player only experience wouldn't be such a bad idea to the people in charge.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Ask me in one year when I’ve finished the game by December. Kappa

Have you been able to play other games that might take your attention away from FF for a bit?

Borzas2010

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 1, 2016
Where is ffxvi? I guess nowhere, because tabata doing anything for money.. Yes even fan services like new endings, etc...