Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A Koji Igarashi Game

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Zero

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Reached its goal of $500,000 in like 3 or 4 hours. And as of right now it has nearly doubled that, which means David Hayter will be voicing in the game.

I backed this so fast. Best Kickstarter ever. Igarashi is my new video game hero for saving "Castlevania".

I went with the Alchemist's Treasure edition. Man, some of those rewards are cool, but damn are they expensive.

000.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 006.jpg 005.png

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Saw the Kickstarter. Definitely interesting how fast it was funded. They even got David Hayter and are just arriving at the $1 million mark while I typethis message. I myself am unable to back the project, but I would if I could.

Sep 26, 2013
I wish Ayami Kojima was involved. I probably would not hesitate to dropped down the money just to get an art book of her stuff.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Hopefully turns out great, and I love the concept, but I'm always iffy on Kickstarters with no actual footage. The 2.5D thing concerns me, especially after seeing how shit Mighty No.9 looks. I have faith in this one, though.

Zero

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Hopefully turns out great, and I love the concept, but I'm always iffy on Kickstarters with no actual footage. The 2.5D thing concerns me, especially after seeing how shit Mighty No.9 looks. I have faith in this one, though.
This is actually my first Kickstarter for a game that I put a significant amount of money into. I put a very small amount towards Yooka-Laylee. Only other one I did was Bubblegum Crisis 2040 Bluray by Animeigo, which I put over $100 on. It's pretty exciting but it would take something of this level of interest for me to do it again, I think. Igavania's may possibly be my single-most favorite game formula. I try not to throw around the term favorite loosely, and I have many, but 2D Castlevania and its uncertain future as of late is the only gaming franchise that's ever affected me emotionally. The thought of never playing another one actually kinda depressed me a bit. It's a fucking crime that publishers don't think people want this anymore. All I really needed to back this was knowing that Iga was involved and that Machiru Yamane was on the soundtrack. Speaking of which:

I initially only pledged $5 but that pitch video (which I watched afterwards) was so entertaining and motivating that I said fuck it and changed it too $100. I mean, this is a 2D Igavania in HD on CONSOLES. That's something I've been craving for years. I also want all the suits in the industry to know that people want this shit, so I did my part. And because fuck Konami.

And yeah, the only thing that slightly worries me is 2.5D. I'm anxious/nervous to see what that's gonna be like, but I have faith in Iga. If anything, with the Kickstarter now triple the amount of its goal, he's gonna have a lot more pressure not to screw anything up than he did initially. He's gotten mad support from the fans and he strikes me as the type of dude who will give it his all to make this fucking legendary.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Probably because you have a lot of decision makers within these big publishing companies who don't know jack shit about videogames. They're just money focused. They go where the money is. They don't give a shit about creative freedom.

Not everything has to be a big AAA project with amazing production values. Not everything has to be bigger and better. But that's what publishers today only think we want. It's why we don't get games like Bloodstained on home consoles cause making something like that a big budget project is a pretty big risk.

How do you fix that? Simple. You don't give it a big fucking budget. You give it a small one. You give it a small team too and not a team of a 100+ people. You also put it on all platforms because you know... More money!

There used to be a time when games were cheap to make and only had like 10-20 people working on them. Technology has improved. You can not only create a cheap game today with 10-20 people working on it, but a great looking one too. Look at Yooka-Laylee. Look at Trine. Look at some of the great looking indie games. I'd argue that many indie games look more amazing then some of these AAA home consoles games we're seeing.

Games like Bloodstained can exist. They just can't be massive and expensive projects.

Nov 17, 2014
To anyone who has played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, raise your LIKE.
To anyone excited for this project, all the more reason to raise your LIKE.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I backed it in its final couple of hours for a digital console copy. Looking forward to it.

Sep 26, 2013
#FuckKonami

They asked for $500K and said 90% was already funded by a publisher. Doing the math, that means the game costs $5 million to make. They achieved that all through Kickstarter and that doesn't even include PayPal (which last I heard was over $200K).

People clearly want this type of game. People also won't hesitate to shell out a ton of money for games like this that don't get made anymore either.

Probably the only way we can get another Chrono game. A spiritual successor through Kickstarter.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm confused as to why they're missing out on this so very much. The demand is there and very big at that.
Maybe because the sales of "X" franchise game(s) didn't meet sales proyections, therefore the conclusion of not being market demand.
For example from Squaresoft/Enix, Secret of Mana, Xenogears, Crono Trigger, Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve sales/shipped units paling in comparison to for example FFVII/FFVIII or the sales & fan/critics reception of the sequels of other games in Japan and abrod didn't quiet help to keep supporting them. So their notion of not being demand isn't quiet wrong, in the end sales=demand.