Considering how garbage FFXV is turning out, my hope now rests on FFXVI.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Of course, it will have Hiroyuki Ito involved, which is a huge plus, and has likely been in development since 2008.

At this point, Ito is the only FF director at Square Enix that will give us a deep and fulfilling battle system. Everybody else is obsessed with simplifying controls and making you control only one character in battle. Ito is the opposite. This is the man that worked on the battle systems of FFI, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFXII, FFT. Every single one of these games had 100% manual control via menus and you could control every party member in battle. There's no way a PS4/Xbox One battle system by Hiroyuki Ito will ever rely on Auto-Battle and the player only being able to control one character. The only battle system he made with a mechanic remotely similar to Auto-Battle was the Gambits in FFXII, yet even then you could turn them off at will and control every party member manually. He even gave us leader switching during battle and the ability to access the status menu and change equipment and Gambits, even while the battle was still going on! FFXIII by Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama offered none of this.

The writing is on the wall at this point. From a gameplay point of view, FFXV by Hajime Tabata has failure written all over it. The only objectively good thing about it is the graphics. The battle system sounds like the worst in the entire FF series, spin-offs included. Also, you only get the Backstreet Boys cast with no playable females? Is this supposed to be the antithesis of FFX-2? LOL! Here are my gripes with FFXV under Tabata's direction:
  • Over importance of driving a car due to FFXV being a road movie.
  • No longer has a controllable airship due to Tabata seeing the car as the airships equivalent.
  • Only the Backstreet Boys playable with no females.
  • You can only play as Noctis and can't switch party members during or even outside battle.
  • All the TPS gameplay with Prompto has been dropped.
  • Fully automated and scripted battle system with dedicated Auto-Attack and Auto-Dodge buttons.
  • No more free jumping like the KH series.
Honestly, this game is a walking corpse at this point. I'm done with it. Good graphics with bad JRPG gameplay can only go so far, as FFXIII proved. I was online when FFXV was first announced at E3 2006 and I can't believe the final game will be a massive degeneration of what Tetsuya Nomura originally promised. All I want from Square Enix now is a traditional Medieval FF like FFIX and with the fast ATB of FFVI, but with realistic size characters and using Luminous Studio graphics.

People would always say only Ito can save mainline FF. I never agreed with them before, as I trusted Nomura would pull through with VersusXIII, but after what has become of this man's vision under the new director and being renamed FFXV? Yes, Ito really is the only person that can save mainline FF. The only way FF will ever become great again is if Ito is involved. In this era of WRPG dominance, it's about time Square Enix unleashed their trump card. From what I'm reading about the gameplay of FFXV, I fully expect it to score in the 70's range on Metacritic. Even LR FFXIII has a better battle system.

Only Hiroyuki Ito can salvage this once great series. Sakaguchi was not joking when he made that claim back in February 2012. He may have fucked up with The Spirits Within, but he still has a sharp eye regarding which staff at Square are competent at leading a AAA mainline FF in this era of WRPG dominance. It's about time video game journalists began to seriously ask Square Enix when Ito will return to the FF series. His presence on this once legendary series is sorely missed.

Last edited:

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Very vague/mistranslated/bad wording interviews and a demo that technically wasn't suppose to exist and some people are already throwing in the towel! And you call yourself FF fan! :p
All stuff I've read was not mistranslated. It was direct interviews by Famitsu, 4Gamer, and Dengeki with Hajime Tabata. All the bullet points I listed were said by Hajime Tabata himself. Even if you go to 2ch, you'll see FF fans there in an uproar over how much the gameplay has been simplified. Many have already thrown in the towel. They may just be spouting hyperbole, but that fact they're even saying they've given up on the game is a statement that speaks volumes of how people feel about FFXV under Tabata's direction.

Also, while I'm a FF fan, I'm not a blind FF fan. If I see or read something about a FF game that's garbage, I will outright say it.

Last edited:

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
All stuff I've read was not mistranslated. It was direct interviews by Famitsu, 4Gamer, and Dengeki with Hajime Tabata. All the bullet points I listed were said by Hajime Tabata himself. Even if you go to 2ch, you'll see all FF the fans there in an uproar over how much the gameplay has been simplified. Mant have already thrown in the towel. They may just be spouting hyperbole, but that fact they're even saying they've given up on the game is statement that speaks volumes of how people feel about FFXV under Tbata's direction.

Also, while I'm a FF fan, I'm not a blind FF fan. If I see or read something about a FF game that's garbage, I will outright say it.
Even if the interviews are true, the fact is that the demo we saw? Something we weren't technically suppose to get and it was to only show people the game is not pre-rendered. Secondly, The battle system is very incomplete. Words and actually playing in are different. Remember the FFXIII demo? the battle system was changed alot.

People are jumping the gun over vague details. However, if you wanna get technical here some contradiction for ya!:

• You can only play as Noctis and can't switch party members during or even outside battle.
Character Switching FFXV.JPG

Tabata said to the player with the PS4 controller to " try to change characters" and he did...

Here are my gripes with FFXV under Tabata's direction:
The car and road movie aspects aren't new. They were already there in the Versus days. Early Versus trailers didn't shy away from showing the car, and the car driving along what appears to be desolate wasteland up to a flooded dead end on a road.

Nomura also stated a while ago that it would be "difficult" to have a female protagonist, presumably for story reasons. All this week has done is unambiguously confirm the long inevitable.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Guys, I hope you don't take this badly, I'm new to this forums but I'm sorry to say that I'm already getting tired of some people in here.

It's the first time I've seen so many fatalist post about a product we don't know yet, acting as if we had already tried the game and judged it. Guys --specially those who are asking for petitions and creating these kind of post-- the only think you know about this game is what you have seen in trailers (and just trailers) and some words from the developer. None of you have tried the game yourselves, nor its battle system, not its character switching, not its story, not its world, music, options, strategies, menu, etc. So, what floor do you have to judge this game aside from, again, some trailers and some words from the developers? Because you are acting as if you had already played this game, tried it and judged it.

What's more funny is that everywhere else (that's to say, not here and not in Nova Crystallis), this game seems to be generating good hype and gaming sites like Eurogamer and Kotaku are calling Tabata the 'saviour' of Final Fantasy. Except here, where he's just an old man who's destroying an awesome game that everyone is yet to play.

What? Seriously?
Guys, I've said this before and I'll repeat myself: you are way overreacting.

Wait for the game (or its demo). Try to enjoy it as Final Fantasy fans who want to enjoy this series without looking for that perfect, 'VII-like' game (and, who knows, maybe FFXV turns to be just this), and please, PLEASE, stop acting like children.

As I said before, I hope you don't take this badly, but in only three days I've grown really, really tired.
That's my opinion.

Good day, sirs!

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
  • No longer has a controllable airship due to Tabata seeing the car as an airships equivalent.
  • All the TPS gameplay with Prompto has been dropped.
  • Fully automated and scripted battle system with even dedicated Auto-Attack and Auto-Dodge buttons.
  • No more free jumping like the KH series.
  • Nothing wrong with the car dude, it's just your way of getting around the world, you'll have Chocobos too.
  • Uh... has this been confirmed? No, so stop jumping to conclusions.
  • Dude, we've known this for YEARS are you serious? Who cares if we have female characters. (more on this below)
  • Still not entirely confirmed.
  • Again, not entirely confirmed.
  • Still don't know how the system works, if it's anything like Type-0, it won't be that simple.
  • Still not confirmed.
Look man, I'm pissed about the combat system, but holy shit man you are over reacting. Everything else about this game besides the few things we are still UNSURE about is fucking fantastic, the world looks sprawling and diverse, the idea of being able to set up camp at night to pass time and avoid monsters that come out of dungeons at night. This is going to feel like going on the world map in a classic FF game using a Tent to recover HP/MP and then going into a cave and fighting Goblins etc. A modern day version of what we had all those years ago.

As for the all male cast and calling them "Backstreet Boys", this is again something we've known for a long ass time now, bitching about it now and saying it's Tabata's fault is just plain stupid... Nomura is the one that designed these characters and created this story... This is a game about Noctis, the next in line as King to Lucis, and the people closest to him, tasked to be the people who will stand beside him for the REST OF HIS LIFE AS KING TO THIS NATION!

Of course, people will say, "that doesn't explain why there's no playable female characters". No, of course not, but it makes sense as to why the current cast of characters are what they are. This is a traditional kingdom, and there are a lot of men in it. HOWEVER, there is at least one strong female character we know is going to be in the game... a character we've known to be in the game longer than ANY other character next to Noctis... and that's Stella.

You create characters in your story that match the tone and setting that you want to create. You don't shoehorn in characters for the sake of diversity to please people that want skin deep diversity for the sake of having it. Would I like to be able to play as Stella in the game? Fuck yes I would, having the same powers as Noctis wielding a Rapier while being a beautiful strong character, it would be so cool! But... she's not, and that's something we have to accept... There are clear reasons as to why she's not playable in the game... reasons that we don't know yet, because we virtually know nothing about the story...

My point is, Final Fantasy has had a long history of having female characters playable in the game... I get it... We also have had three games starring a female lead, why can't we have a game with an all male main cast? You already KNOW that XVI is going to have female characters, and I can't wait for that... There's nothing wrong with switching things up every once in a while...

Hell, if FFXVI turns out to have an all female cast, I'll openly accept that as well to the fullest, but if it does... and you don't have a change of heart about this game's cast, I damn well better hear you bitching about that, otherwise you're a hypocrite.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Hopefully some of that 20% doesn't have anything to do with Nomura and Ito not being on the Final Fantasy committee.
Actually, the text in the actual V-Jump interview has Shinji Hashimoto state the FF Committee has more than the four people he mentioned by name (Yoshinori Kitase, Motomu Toriyama, Hajime Tabata, Naoki Yoshida). Here's the full quote:
Saito: It seems that there a « Committee Final Fantasy » .

Baba:
Really? It sounds like a secret organization name. (Laughs)

Hashimoto:
Yes, a committee whose members are renowned producers of FF lately: Naoki Yoshida, Hajime Tabata, Motomu Toriyama, Yoshinori Kitase, and others. Its purpose is to safeguard the quality of the Final Fantasy series.

Baba:
Tetsuya Nomura is not part of it?

Hashimoto:
Oh, he's in another space-time. (Laughs)
Source (in French): http://ffworld.com/?rub=news&page=voir&id=2634

Also, Ito is definitely on the FF Committee. Naoki Yoshida confirmed it in an interview PC Gamer at GDC 2014 in March. I made a thread about it on GameFAQs back when the news dropped, but nobody paid it much attention on the fast PS4 board. I never bought a copy of the magazine for scans because I'm cheap and I also thought they would eventually publish the interview on their official website, but they never did. I even sent e-mail to the staff requesting they publish it and they never responded. Welp.

Anyway, here's the quote I typed out from memory on GameFAQs back in March 2014:
Q: Final Fantasy XIV is the first FF that you've ever worked on. How does it feel to be such a respected and admired FF director even when you have very little history working on games in the series?

Naoki Yoshida: Well, I played most of the past FF games, so I still have a lot of knowledge of what those games were about. That said, it's very humbling to have FF fans regard me so highly. I hope I can live up to their expectations with future patches and expansions for FFXIV.

Q: You are also on the FF Committee, what is that like?

Naoki Yoshida: The FF Committee was created to ensure that the FF series stays on track and each important FF director knows what the others are doing. Personally, it's a tremendous honour for me to be part of it, as I get to discuss with people I greatly admire, such as Yoshinori Kitase and Hiroyuki Ito.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/68886126

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Also, Ito is definitely on the FF Committee. Naoki Yoshida confirmed it in an interview PC Gamer at GDC 2014 in March. I made a thread about it on GameFAQs back when the news dropped, but nobody paid it much attention on the fast PS4 board. I never bought a copy of the magazine for scans because I'm cheap and I also thought they would eventually publish the interview on their official website, but they never did. I even sent e-mail to the staff requesting they publish it and they never responded. Welp.
Yes, what a shame (and a coincidence) that the source for that isn't available. From what I recall, when the committee was formed, Ito was absent.