Death in Final Fantasy *SPOILERS*

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
How do you guys feel about the death of a father or mother (even if only a figure rather than an actual parent) when used to motivate a character in Final Fantasy? A few examples include...

The Celes one was extremely well executed when do you ever see the
suicide of a Main Character in a JRPG because of lack of hope?

I really did not like how they carried Hope's despair
after his mother died. He didn't even cry and all he did was behave like an ass.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
Yes, Celes was done very well. The only other instance I can recall of that was...
In XIII, when Sazh lost all hope and put his gun to his head. Because of the clever cut, he appeared to be dead for another couple of hours of gameplay. Both Celes and Sazh are very human characters to me partly because both of them hit that moment of intense despair.

As someone who has experienced a similar situation, I have to say that was actually handled pretty accurately because...
When my sister-in-law died in a car crash, four months pregnant, I was there. I was incredibly close to her, moreso than anyone in my adoptive or biological family. My brother, her husband, was driving the car behind her and I was in the passenger seat when someone in an SUV-sized car swerved and took her car clear off the road. I didn't shed a tear, not for days. It took me over a week to cry for her, and during the counseling I sought in the following months I learned that violent death tends to carry a kind of shock. It causes the average person to shut down more than a little. Outbursts of rage and even violence (like striking walls or pushing people over) are common, and it can take anywhere between a few days and a few weeks for the crying to happen. If anything, the only thing I found to be unrealistic about Hope's handling of those issues were that within a day and a half he was seemingly fine again. Maybe he cried during the time on Gran Pulse we don't get to see where they searched all over (implied to be a sizable stretch of time), but all in all he seemed to have gotten over it a lot faster than anyone I know.
Hmm... Well Hope's story really stabbed my heart! I mean seriously... Seeing a little boy watching his mother dying is really something that made me feel a bit upset. And his reactions though completely excusable, I couldn't stand them nor did I want the game to focus on him when first played. It's really something so sad to watch. Well later he wanted vengeance that really didn't work out, and to be honest I never believed it would anyway. Ashe's story even if it's a complete tragedy it's still a bit different. That incident gave her determination to fight! And that's one of the many reasons I loved her in XII. Her maturity exceeds most expectations!
My point is, when a game includes such stories, I can't stand watching the person who lost someone to give up and mourn all the time. I can't really enjoy the story progression that way, it's a bit unpleasant. Of course I can't stand seeing him/her laughing all the time either after such tragedy. A balance like Ashe's reactions work for me and are welcomed!
I think there's a pretty big difference here.
We don't get to see how Ashe reacts in the opening days. You get to see her briefly in her mourning gown, but this is largely skipped over as a way to continue the main narrative. We don't actually see Ashe in a true character capacity until she's met in the Garamsythe Waterway, after the gameplay of XII begins. There is a two (2) year gap between the deaths of Rassler/King Dalmasca and the game itself. Two years later Ashe is consumed by hatred and the need for vengeance to the point that she very nearly becomes pawn to the Occuria, whereas Hope achieves a level of mostly cheery determination in the space of at least two days (plus somewhere between a few days and a few weeks when taking into account the Gran Pulse arrival timeskip) by contrast. This is part of the reason I said Hope got over his issues a little too fast when it comes to in-game time, but Ashe is an opposite-end case of seemingly not overcoming her issues at all until the course of the story forces her to move on. Either way, the lack of seeing Ashe in her initial period of grief makes this a faulty comparison. It's sort of like comparing someone who had their arm broken a few years ago against someone who had their arm broken yesterday and saying the first person is handling it better.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Either way, the lack of seeing Ashe in her initial period of grief makes this a faulty comparison. It's sort of like comparing someone who had their arm broken a few years ago against someone who had their arm broken yesterday and saying the first person is handling it better.[/spoiler]
Sorry, I have to play XII like 4 years now, and some things I can't remember well. But still as I stated above, I enjoy more the story progression when the mourning time has passed a bit more quickly, even if that means that the events skip like two years later. One scene or two is enouph. No need for stretching. But yes you are right about Hope and Ashe. I suppose Hope indeed got over it a bit quickly, but for me, the game still focused too much on his mother death. It's totally excusable since XIII was story driven, but I couldn't bear it... Sometimes such things remind me some personal experiences, and I have tried and achieved to lock them up somehow, and find balance again...

Caius

Yevonite
Sep 29, 2013
xii/x/xiii/xiii-2 spoilers :eek:

Vanille and Fang's fate at the end of XIII, while not death, was very hard to take. And all through XIII-2, when I was traveling along the timeline, all I could think about was the rest of the characters haD DIED BY THIS TIME. And I honestly got really upset more than once. And.. especially... Amodar actually... died by the end, with the rest of the Nora crew, (Although I don't really care about the latter it's just really sad to think about they had to live their entire lives waiting for Serah and Snow to come back and it never happened. It's so sad ;;..)

Auron's death made me really sad as I played X-2 and realized, he was well, dead.

I also cried like a baby at the end of XIII and XIII-2. Oh god, it was really bad. And at the end of XII, when I thought Balthier and Fran had died, and they came back. It was awesome.

Also. Nora.

I was honestly happy Chappu in X died pre-X. Shoot me.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
I'm surprised that Aerith was not mentioned in this topic, Her death was probably the most iconic death than any other FF's deaths. Although it hurts me the most when my favorite FF character of all time dies in such a tragic.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
I'm surprised that Aerith was not mentioned in this topic, Her death was probably the most iconic death than any other FF's deaths. Although it hurts me the most when my favorite FF character of all time dies in such a tragic.
I think that's because Aerith's death is the most well-known, so nobody felt the need to bring it up. Aerith's death is pretty damn iconic, and it was certainly a gamechanger for me. I was pretty ambivalent on Aerith herself, but she was great to have as a healer and my party took some serious reshuffling after she was gone.