DrBretto Does Minecraft

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
So, I'm a newcomer to Minecraft in the last couple of months. I started with the PS4 version, on this map that you're seeing here, but I have a lot more to cut and upload from the PC version.

This is all done in survival mode. Everything is earned, and I care about the minute details. I do everything the hard way, because it's the hard way. These videos are all in chronological order on the same map. 75% of it was built by me, the rest by my friend Rebecca.

The roller coaster that started it all:

Just to see if I could, I built a tunnel under water. This was before I knew about underwater breathing enchantments and sponges, so it's all manual and with little time to breathe. I drowned a few times.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
This is sunset station. The floor is actually a map of the surrounding areas. Every brick was placed with purpose and lines up with the world around it. Eventually I hope to line up all 25 maps on the wall.

If you're just skimming through, wait for the sunset around 1 and a half minutes in.

I took a really long break after that last video to play the PC version with mods (videos eventually to follow). I started this one back up Friday after work and haven't blinked since. That sword is made out of 162 diamonds, 322 iron, 90 gold and 72 emeralds.

The video starts off at the end of one of the mineshafts and is a typical length. I do a very specific pattern of branch mining and I start the video off there to show how much work goes into it. When it gets to the main shaft, where you see the torches on the ground, each torch is the midpoint between two of those shafts.

All the green on that plateau was dug and carried by hand from about a mile away. It was three full inventory loads.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I have months worth of ideas for more, including some really unique and interesting stuff coming up.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Click 'em, lol. Most of the people I've shown so far really like them. They're better the more you've played the game, though, because you'll have a better understanding of how much work has gone into them so far. I should note that each one of them was done in a day, or in a weekend.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Minecraft weekend again!

This is all still under so much construction, but this was, I think a good demonstration of how survival mode makes this game. I can't play creative mode. Bores me to tears. Every block is earned, and death has consequences. Some people fish. Some people do yoga. I take vacations in Minecraft land.

I'm building something fairly tall here, and I've already given myself a damn near heart attack three or four times. I can't even imagine this game in VR... But, in this clip, I wanted to change the water fountain to lava fir the glow. This is way early in construction, I'm just testing things out. But, I got all the way out there and to the top when I realized I didn't bring a way down, so I had to improvise.

Anyway, can't wait to see what this fountain thing is gonna end up looking like.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016

My new favorite. This is just phase 2, there's more to it. But this is what I did all weekend. It literally feels like I took a camping trip to Minecraft land and lived the life of Angry Black Steve marooned on this island, making nature his bitch. It's sublime.

And that's from scratch. Like, I had to farm 400 individual Obsidian blocks. And cooked a dozen stacks of sand I farmed for the glass, while using my fortress of solitude as my evil lab. To test things. That's why it looks like a bomb went off in there all the time.

It's a little more rough than I envisioned, but it turns out... It's hard, lol. Most of this so far came from visualizing pixel circles I'm varying sizes and dimensions and sort of letting it happen. I "trained" for this one when I built that big red sphere. That was me experimenting converting circles into spheres and I used what I learned there to turn spheres into spirals.

Fun fact, this build took something like 30 stacks of cobblestone that use just to destroy. Every block in this was once a cobblestone placeholder, not to mention platforms to build on. I went through almost two full Unbreaking 3 diamond pickaxe shaping the project. That's about 12,000 breaks.

Next step is to automate the pouring of the lava with a daylight sensor so it pours it fresh every time the sun goes down. Along with some other effects I'm saving for the next vid, but this next step is actually really, really tricky.

Edit: optional "making of" clips:

Skip the first couple of minutes if it's going too slow, but it's worth a watch for the last few minutes.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016

New world. New game. Trying out Windows PE edition. The house isn't built yet, it's just the starter house and some borders of what it will be later. I was just showing the view of the plot. There are some really gorgeous places to build in this game. And ultimately, I prefer to build things that complement the world the game generates.

But, down below I have an evil Lair. This is actually a hub for mining. I've built a large quarry for strip mining and set up storage. As this is likely the room I will be sitting in more than any other, I needed two things: something interesting to look at, and someplace functional. For the aesthetics, I rigged a bunch of pistons to allow little squirts of lava to flow around the outer walls. The game actually resists this a little bit as lava is kind of a bitch to work with, so it took a bunch of trial and error to get the timing down, but that's basically the sweet spot. Any slower, and it gets backed up an never dissipates. Any faster and it disappears before it can spread.

Functionally, it's quite safe pretty much for me and me only. The lava falls can act as a moat if anything bothers. I use half slabs for flooring both to prevent spawns of any kind, and so I could hide the lava around the sides of the glass on the floor, giving the lava more depth.

Above this plot, I hollowed out a large spawning chamber with water tracks. This room is meant to spawn enemies, have them get pushed by the water into the holes, have them fall to their deaths. They land on a hopper, and that hopper collects the loot and leaves it in the chest.

This means, as long as I'm in chunk loading area, which I almost always am since I built everything with verticality in mind, I'm always collecting loot. Namely arrows and gunpowder. Building everything in such a tight area also lets me keep my farms growing while I do everything else.

All of this combined makes this an ultra efficient setup. I waste no time and all resources flow together perfectly. And now that I'm set up, I can start playing. Lol

Edit: BTW, I cannot FUCKING wait to see this in VR. I already have plans to add some things that will only be able to be appreciated in VR.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Not that anyone here is watching these, lol, I just started a new server and spent a solid 25-30 hours over a few days very carefully choosing the perfect collection of mods for what will hopefully finally be the persistent world that me and my friends will be building for the forseeable future. This is going to get crazy.

This first video highlights just a couple of the new mods. Visually, I'm using the best texture pack/shader combo I could come up with. Chroma Hills texture pack and SEUS shaders. When I record it cuts my framerate down, but when I'm just playing it's pretty solid. The texture pack uses bump maps and combined with the shader, some of the blocks' textures look 3D and get shadows accordingly. Stained glass even properly distorts the image behind it like it's real glass, and leaves a colored shadow. When it rains, things look actually wet. It's absolutely gorgeous.

The other mod I'm showcasing here while I break ground on my first major build, is Buildcraft, which is a series of pipes and engines and a few automatic machinery to play with. What you'll see here in this video is a quarry, which mines everything in an area all the way down to bedrock and sends the items it mines through some pipes. There are all kinds of pipes that let you manipulate how the items are handled. In this case, I have it sorting out and destroying any cobblestone or gravel it mines because I would have needed an array of about 100 more chests to put it all in. Everything else gets sent into a "silo" of chests which I will build a more complex machine later to sort.

The quarry is a much more complicated machine than normal minecraft stuff. You don't just make an item and place it, you need to power it. That's those pump looking things you see on the platform. Those are combustion engines, which need fuel to run (and that's a whole 'nother build I don't show here for the oil refinery) and they also need coolant or they can explode and destroy the whole thing. You'll also see a couple of pumps pumping water directly into them to keep them cool. This actually took quite a bit of playing around with to get the perfect setup.

Anyway, once this thing finally got started, I pretty much spent the next 5 hours watching it mine all the way to the bottom, lol. I spare you that in the video, don't worry. This isn't just to make a hole for the sake of making a hole. I'm digging out the foundation of what will be a pretty awesome build that I won't spoil yet.

Oh, also, I'm still on survival mode, that's not me flying. That's me getting around on a goddamn hang glider.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
WoW, I don´t rembember Minecraft ever looking like that!
Yeah, it's come a long way. It's funny, because for the mist part, I've always thought of the game as looking archaic but this one takes everything my rig has to offer.

I'll highlight some more ways of looks good in future vids once there's something to show.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
One step closer to building towards creative mode:

This is what I did with the bottom of that quarry from the previous video. It's a highly functional room that requires explanation:

The main event is the massive compact item sorter. Any item I place into that fancy looking chest gets sucked into that machine and gets woven through a series of 36 diamond sorting pipes, each potentially separating up to 36 inquire item IDs and placing everything in its appropriate obsidian chest (high storage capacity and blast proof). This can sort a total of 1296 different items automatically. Frankly, I find it mesmerizing to watch. (Sorting starts at 1:42, i didn't really edit the video yet)

The large platforms behind the glass is consecutive slime chunks. 10% of all chunks are slime chunks and I built this plot in this place specifically to build the world's most ridiculous slime farm. Each block is another space slimes can spawn, but lit up bright enough that other things don't. I have also been putting mob spawners in there as well.

Mobs that spawn in that chamber are pushed to the front by fans, then killed by spikes lining the glass. Those spikes act like the player killed the move, getting me rare drops and XP, which is sucked up through vacuum hoppers and carried to its appropriate place in buildcraft pipes. This chamber is beyond overkill, but you can take those slimes drops, craft them into slime blocks and build a bouncy castle. There's a quick demo if their bouncy capabilities late in the video.

The glass tube in the middle with a spike in it is the output of a mob spawning chamber. The chamber above us lined with dark glass, or glass you can see through but doesn't actually let light pass through. You can watch mobs spawn and get pushed into the hole and dropped. There's a single block if water held up by a sign to prevent to movs from taking falling damage, so the are instead killed by the spike, which again acts like a player kill in that it drops rare loots and XP. I call the the Juicer.

It's not really possible to appreciate the technical difficulties in building that sorter without some buildcraft experience, but I can tell you that it's about as compact as it could possibly get and nearly every single block us what it would absolutely have to be just to get the different pipes to only connect to the pipes they're supposed to connect to.