E3: Ask us anything

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Are you allowed to say how long you knew about Type-0 HD before its official announcement?

I'd ask what each of your favourite games from E3 were. Whether it be from playing hands-on or just a trailer.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Ahaha. Well, about that, it wasn't like we had an official embargoed heads-up or anything. We just heard it on the grapevine, so to speak. That's usually the case. Square isn't big on embargoed announcement heads' ups.

For me, the stand-out playable game was without a doubt Evolve. I liked Left 4 Dead, but I was never really the type of player who would put tons and tons of hours into the game. However, what I played of Evolve not only has me intrigued, it has me downright excited to play the final game. The crux was that I was playing as the Monster, so the other four players were, in Left 4 Dead style, essentially planning and trying to take me down. It was really quite an experience, and though you're massive and all-powerful as the Monster, it is a scary, on-the-run experience. To be the one controlling what is essentially a typical video game boss is quite fascinating.

In terms of hands-off stuff, It'd certainly have to be The Witcher 3. I saw some other amazing stuff, and in particular I have to give shout outs to Dragon Age: Inquisition and EVE: Valkyrie, but something about The Witcher 3 just leaves me boundlessly excited. It's a wonderful-looking game, with such beauty and depth that's obvious. CD Projekt is making some incredibly smart choices as far as boiling down the Witcher experience to make it more accessible without dumbing it down goes, and I think a lot of other RPG developers may stand to learn a lot from that game.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Did you land any good interviews for RPGSite? Who should we expect to see?

Edit: Also, any time with Project Morpheus? Castle demo? Future of gaming - yay or nay?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
How is it going to E3 overall? I mean, you have gone to various events, I'd just like to know how is it to go to the biggest gaming convention. How's your daily schedule, and the feeling, things like that. Must be great.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Did you land any good interviews for RPGSite? Who should we expect to see?

Edit: Also, any time with Project Morpheus? Castle demo? Future of gaming - yay or nay?
You can expect to see interviews over on RPG Site for...
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • The Witcher III
  • Fable Legends
  • Kingdom Hearts II.5
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
...and a few other surprises.

I did get to play Morpheus. I loved it, but in my eyes it's clearly a bit behind where Oculus is - I played the Rift again at the show and was frankly pretty bloody blown away yet again by how far it's come. It's truly a magnificent device. However, Sony do have one thing Oculus doesn't have, which is some interesting control options with PS Move. That needs some work, but felt pretty good. It'd be incredibly interested how that could be combined with a device where you don't need to hold some plastic, like Kinect-like devices. I do overall think VR is the future, but I think it's going to take time to get there. I think the people to take it there are Oculus, too, Facebook or no; I think the wider and more open environment on PC is basically the best hope for the wide iteration that is needed to make it a real thing.

How is it going to E3 overall? I mean, you have gone to various events, I'd just like to know how is it to go to the biggest gaming convention. How's your daily schedule, and the feeling, things like that. Must be great.
In my entire time on the show floor (21 hours total), I had two hours of free time without bookings. I spend my entire show moving from appointment to appointment. I don't walk around the show floor, because it's an ugly, smelly, awful clusterfuck. Long story short, I genuinely wouldn't want to go to E3 if I wasn't 'connected' enough to be able to get private appointments for the things I wanted to see. It's a very fun show - especially Monday, the press conferences - but it's very busy and it's near impossible to see things. To see thirty minutes of Dragon Age, for instance - hands-off - it was a 3 hour wait at some points. Even 4. Even if you were lucky, it'd be an hour. For Smash Bros, you'd wait at least half an hour despite all of Nintendo's booth being Smash stations. That stuff I simply don't find enjoyable... it's nuts. E3 ultimately is a lot of stress, and while I'm there I actually usually hate it, but when I leave, I always think fondly of it.

That said, the atmosphere is always electric and stuff, and I enjoy that aspect of it. I also enjoy seeing PR people, journalists and the like who I don't often get to see - these people are friends.

Did anyone ask about FFXV or did nobody really care?
I don't know about @Kagari, but I feel it's pretty much pointless, plus we have a fairly good feeling (that we can't talk about) of why it was absent anyway. It was mentioned in passing in some conversations, but not anything of any interest.

I think Nintendo's showing at E3 shows a strong commitment to the Wii U through 2015 at least. I think that was an incredible showing, and if you asked me which booth at E3 I had the most fun at, the answer would be Nintendo. Smash is fantastic, well-made and silky smooth. Toad's new game is amazing fun, and incredibly silly. Kirby and Yoshi both look utterly gorgeous and have some very cool gameplay ideas. Mario Maker seems great. Splatoon... that is my surprise of the show. An utterly amazing little thing. Enjoyed it to no end.

Region lock's definitely gonna stay as far as Nintendo stuff goes.

Regarding Square's dates, anything they've said to us is already public!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Was there any behind-closed-doors rumor-y type stuff that you are not under embargo for that you can spill/gossip here for your loyal forum-goers?

cosmicblizzard

Some author guy
Oct 1, 2013
New Jersey
www.amazon.com
Would've responded to the thread earlier, but was a bit sick.

Are you allowed to say how long you knew about Type-0 HD before its official announcement?

I'd ask what each of your favourite games from E3 were. Whether it be from playing hands-on or just a trailer.
Biggest surprise was probably Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. As a huge Canvas Curse fan, I had a blast with it. The claymation-style visuals are incredibly well-done and complements the gameplay well.

However, my favorite game there was boring old Smash Bros. Played it seven times by the time the show was over.

Of course, there were things I didn't get a chance to see that I really wanted to, like the big VR guys, Morpheus and Occulus. I was however able to check out a VR version of Flower with a pre-Morpheus HMD. It was a bit blurry, but a sublime experience nonetheless.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Why are reporter sworn to secrecy? If they don't want to tell anyone, why tell anyone at all?

Was there any mention of continuing any of the series from the being of the 2000s like Star Ocean? I heard it was trademarked again.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Why are reporter sworn to secrecy? If they don't want to tell anyone, why tell anyone at all?
This is a wider question, but sometimes it's just somebody who is a friend saying "Listen, I know you're a fan of X, and you're disappointed that we're not doing Y, but at some point in the future we're going to be doing Z." People talk, basically. Perhaps in some cases the people are irresponsible for telling reporters things they don't want public. It's a trust thing.

However.. sometimes it's also just about trying to get an idea where things stand. The reason @Kagari and I can often make good reads on the temperature at Square Enix and what's going on there is because we talk to a lot of people there, or at companies who work with them, such as hardware holders or publishing/development partners. They tell us things, and that gives us a general overview with which we can predict with more accuracy. We could print all that stuff, I suppose, but if we did we'd expose all our sources, very likely scaring them from giving us anything more, and at worst getting them in serious trouble or fired - which, obviously, would significantly damage our ability to predict as we currently do.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I guess that makes sense. But all the cloak and dagger secrecy seems wrong. Don't they want/care if fans understand what they're doing? Or do that not care as long as we buy their products in the end? It's times like that I feel like I'm just being used by movie or game makers.

PS> Nothing on the enigmatic copyright for a possible Star Ocean game?

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I don't know about @Kagari, but I feel it's pretty much pointless, plus we have a fairly good feeling (that we can't talk about) of why it was absent anyway. It was mentioned in passing in some conversations, but not anything of any interest.
I know you can't say why it was absent. But in light of this mention, is it under the bad news/good news for XV? or doesn't fit either?

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I know you can't say why it was absent. But in light of this mention, is it under the bad news/good news for XV? or doesn't fit either?
I just think for one reason or another it wasn't ready. I think that had it been in a state where they were comfortable to show it, they would've; it was a weak line-up.