- Everything we know about FFXV -

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
You guys bring up some good concerns. I'm curious as well in seeing how seamless XV will really be. Rockstar are famous for their huge detailed sandbox maps. Outside of the MMO's they're a leading influence in single player open-world game design.

In the past Nomura stressed how seamless they're making XV's world. From battle, to exploration, to travel. So it would indeed be jarring to run into invisible walls. Especially since we'll be able to access cars & airships. Is it possible to drive out of Lucis into the wilderness, and into the next town? Maybe each City/town are relatively giant hubs connected by an expanse of wilderness with little buildings & landmarks sprinkled in between. Maybe there is a narrative context for how far we're permitted travel in the world. With most of world's crystals gone, maybe they're some natural disasters the limit our ability to travel as far as we want.

One possible example are the wasteland outskirts of Lucis, where the roads are leveled by some sort of quake and submerged from flooding.

Rockstar (as well as some other devs) tend to use the "LOST" trick where you never really escape the map past a certain point. At that point it takes on a more realistic portrayal of travel time, as to discourage the player from attempting to leave the map. A limited, but better alternative to the invisible wall.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
You guys bring up some good concerns. I'm curious as well in seeing how seamless XV will really be. Rockstar are famous for their huge detailed sandbox maps. Outside of the MMO's they're a leading influence in single player open-world game design.

In the past Nomura stressed how seamless they're making XV's world. From battle, to exploration, to travel. So it would indeed be jarring to run into invisible walls. Especially since we'll be able to access cars & airships. Is it possible to drive out of Lucis into the wilderness, and into the next town? Maybe each City/town are relatively giant hubs connected by an expanse of wilderness with little buildings & landmarks sprinkled in between. Maybe there is a narrative context for how far we're permitted travel in the world. With most of world's crystals gone, maybe they're some natural disasters the limit our ability to travel as far as we want.

One possible example are the wasteland outskirts of Lucis, where the roads are leveled by some sort of quake and submerged from flooding.

Rockstar (as well as some other devs) tend to use the "LOST" trick where you never really escape the map past a certain point. At that point it takes on a more realistic portrayal of travel time, as to discourage the player from attempting to leave the map. A limited, but better alternative to the invisible wall.
This stuff would be good. I do think the Rockstar approach - an island, surrounded by endless, looping sea - is a little bit better. Ultimately there are still invisible walls with what's described above, after all. However -- my main concern with this game is loading times. There should be none. Ever. In that sense it should really resemble GTA, or Dark Souls - one load on boot, then one world, endless. If they can accomplish this I'll be very pleased.

Sep 26, 2013
Loading is only suppose to happen between large areas. (Could change now that it's a PS4/XB1 game). Event scenes will also cover up load times too.

The game is not completely open world either. If you can picture what a 2D Final Fantasy game would look like in 3D, that's what you're going to get. (Just look at the desert scans)

Last edited:

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
Loading is only suppose to happen between large areas. (Could change now that it's a PS4/XB1 game). Event scenes will also cover up load times too.

The game is not completely open world either. If you can picture what a 2D Final Fantasy game would look like in 3D, that's what you're going to get. (Just look at the desert scans)
Well technically a 2D FF world in 3D would be VII-IX, while XII takes a page from MMO design. In regards to Final Fantasy, XV seems to be it's own type of design.

Yea maybe the loading times have been drastically cut down if not gone altogether. I guess there will still be those *fade to black* transition loads when entering detailed buildings like the Lucius castle.
Also due to Noctis' teleportation ability we'll be able to traverse the map at will in really unpredictable ways, like climbing atop larger buildings. I remember one scene from the gameplay trailer, where there was a balcony right near Noctis as he dangled on his sword. It's likely that we can enter the building from that method if we choose to.

Ah, good call. I forgot about the verticality aspect of environment interaction. If it can be freely utilised without any hostile nearby, then it can be a unique new way of getting around a large city map as opposed to the ol' run around on foot technique. But there's something nagging in my head telling me that this will have to be limited in the final product if so. I can't see them realistically being able to have free vertical travel across the side of buildings AND find a way to scale the actual map of the area without you know, unrealistically having the entire city to explore like in a GTA game.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
Let's be a bit more realistic guys...cities can't be as big as a GTA, and I don't think it will be as easy to drive the car around in it. You will probably park it as you enter, or leave it in the gas station as it happened in Final Fantasy VIII.

And why not? Because...there is not one city, but multiple cities and towns. No way we can have 5+ mini-GTAs in one game, as much as I would love it, it's way too massive. As great as Nomura is, I don't think SE, having stakeholders and all, would so easily greenlight a game as huge that. They would know it's way too risky. I do hope the areas are open and big, but I honestly don't except to have full-absolute freedom on something as big as a modern city.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, knowing that Final Fantasy XV is "quite far into development" and a "high priority" for Square-Enix...is 2015 release date reasonable? I finally think so.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
But there's something nagging in my head telling me that this will have to be limited in the final product if so. I can't see them realistically being able to have free vertical travel across the side of buildings AND find a way to scale the actual map of the area without you know, unrealistically having the entire city to explore like in a GTA game.
I see what you mean, although it would be all the more reason to have this ability at our disposal. With a large enough map, having options to how we get around it quickly is always a plus. Nomura says the game will encourage exploration and have hidden secrets (treasure, rare items, etc.) So it seems to have been part of the plan since day one. No doubt there will be a limitation on its usage earlier on into the game. But you know how it goes, as we level up and progress so will the abilities.

Let's be a bit more realistic guys...cities can't be as big as a GTA, and I don't think it will be as easy to drive the car around in it. You will probably park it as you enter, or leave it in the gas station as it happened in Final Fantasy VIII.
Well we aren't actually saying that the map will be as detailed as a GTA map, but that the means of traversal and design could be similar to a GTA game. No actually game currently has a 1:1 realistic modern city (not even GTA), so no one is expecting that level of detail. Also it wouldn't make much sense not be able to drive through out the city when there are cars and roads on the very map.
The cars even have detailed interiors and can get be damaged meaning that they're interactive. If that weren't the case that would be a serious waste of resources and assets.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I see what you mean, although it would be all the more reason to have this ability at our disposal. With a large enough map, having options to how we get around it quickly is always a plus. Nomura says the game will encourage exploration and have hidden secrets (treasure, rare items, etc.) So it seems to have been part of the plan since day one. No doubt there will be a limitation on its usage earlier on into the game. But you know how it goes, as we level up and progress so will the abilities.

Well we aren't actually saying that the map will be as detailed as a GTA map, but that the means of traversal and design could be similar to a GTA game. No actually game currently has a 1:1 realistic modern city (not even GTA), so no one is expecting that level of detail. Also it wouldn't make much sense not be able to drive throughout the city when there are cars and roads on the very map.
The cars even have detailed interiors and can get be damaged meaning that they're interactive. If that weren't the case that would be a serious waste of resources and assets.
Based on what we've seen from the announcement trailer and gameplay trailer, I honestly do think we'll have a large scale of exploration in the town.

If last gen consoles can run games like GTA V and Just Cause 2 with their scale, the PS4 and Xbox One should easily be able to handle what we've seen so far.

We have seen cars in the city of Lucis, and based on past trailers of Noctis actually fighting in the city, down what looks to be a major street and also back alley ways, it wouldn't be surprising to me. Remembering back to when Noctis was on the bridge when explosions were going off, Nomura said if you continued to go down a certain path on the bridge a chest would be there.

We have yet to see any game take advantage of the power of next-gen consoles, but with a look at upcoming games, where they have cities and interiors to many of the buildings you would want to interact with, it would be no surprise if you were able to explore these cities to a great detail.

Take a look at Accordo, based on the map seen in the announcement trailer, you can assume you'll be able to go everywhere in that city for the most part that we've seen visible thus far. Does that mean every house is enterable? No, likely not, as not all houses in previous Final Fantasy games were enterable, you cannot expect that. I do expect that it will be possible for a lot of areas to be explorable however.

In terms of the world map, comparing it to 2D Final Fantasy games in 3D doesn't match up directly to what we've seen in past trailers. Without any new information on how this will work, we cannot say for sure the scale of the world map, or the transition between the world map and the cities themselves.

I'm expecting that with the recent information of the game being "quite far into development" we can expect to hear more information in the coming months, and likely some form of release information at E3 this year. I'm hoping to see information around the launch of the PS4 in Japan, but that's just wishful thinking.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Man, I really hope this game is shown off @ E3 again this year. Kitase's recent comments got me pumped up a little. With each passing day, my belief that this game is vaporwave wanes.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
Two more glorious gifs.

edit: 1 more!
Wow the water is ugly pre-rendered physics in 2016 game or when this release? lol...and i heard FF15 also coming to PC and from now on every FF game coming to PC (it was an interview with Enix) so consoles lost another one console exlusive game!
well in this modern gaming inndustry nothing the same like in old time was. I fear when this game gonna release this graphics will be nothing i mean there will be games out have x times better graphics than this.

Last edited:

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Console exclusions shouldn't exist anymore. I've known so many Xbox users who want to play Uncharted or The Last of Us so bad. Some friends of mine who don't have a PS3 told me that they want to play the Lightning Saga trilogy on PC.

And again. Console exclusions shouldn't exist anymore. The more platforms, the more fans and yeah, the more profit.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Wow the water is ugly pre-rendered physics in 2016 game or when this release? lol...and i heard FF15 also coming to PC and from now on every FF game coming to PC (it was an interview with Enix) so consoles lost another one console exlusive game!
well in this modern gaming inndustry nothing the same like in old time was. I fear when this game gonna release this graphics will be nothing i mean there will be games out have x times better graphics than this.
No, this game is not coming to PC... we don't know the release of this game.

Dude, do you know anything about this game?

Sep 26, 2013
Well, this was at one point a PS3 game... It's not like it will magically turn into a PS4 looking game.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
No, this game is not coming to PC... we don't know the release of this game.

Dude, do you know anything about this game?
dude enix said FF13 trilogy was the LAST FF game only FOR consoles! They want to release every FF game from now on to PC platform too for STEAM but not for EVERY region!

Dude, do you know anything about whats going on?

Sep 26, 2013
Kitase said Square Enix is interested in bringing future Final Fantasy games to PC but that's about it. No official announcement yet.

They're investigating it. A PC version of Final Fantasy XV depends on the need as the game right now would require a very expensive PC to play it.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
dude enix said FF13 trilogy was the LAST FF game only FOR consoles! They want to release every FF game from now on to PC platform too for STEAM but not for EVERY region!

Dude, do you know anything about whats going on?
Final Fantasy XV is being released on PS4 and Xbox One, you aren't going to fool anyone, they never said that at all.

Kitase said Square Enix is interested in bringing future Final Fantasy games to PC but that's about it. No official announcement yet.

They're investigating it. A PC version of Final Fantasy XV depends on the need as the game right now would require a very expensive PC to play it.
Yes, this is what they said.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
Final Fantasy XV is being released on PS4 and Xbox One, you aren't going to fool anyone, they never said that at all.

Yes, this is what they said.
Just read it dude! The famed RPG series is traditionally rooted in consoles but it could soon be calling home to the PC in the future.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...y-interested-in-future-final-fantasy-pc-games

"The next installment, Final Fantasy XV, is slated for release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. In light of Kitase's comments, perhaps a PC version of FFXV is a good possibility"

Last edited: