FF15 on Conan's Clueless Gamer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Love how Conan deals with the sheer absurdity of some of the game's aspects.
no "sheer absurdity" in the game is new to Final Fantasy or JRPGs in general.

he could make one trashing FFVIIR with Honey Bee Inn and how silly anime characters go cross-dressing... which is more absurd than anything shown in FFXV so far.

anyway, that was a bad PR move imo.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
no "sheer absurdity" in the game is new to Final Fantasy or JRPGs in general.

he could make one trashing FFVIIR with Honey Bee Inn and how silly anime characters go cross-dressing... which is more absurd than anything shown in FFXV so far.

anyway, that was a bad PR move imo.
To be fair to Squenix, can you really see Conan being even vaguely competent at XV's battle system? Most of the gaming press don't seem to know what they're doing half the time -- it's generally been fans (and certain devs) who have managed to show what the game looks like closer to its very high skill ceiling.

It kind of seems like, since they couldn't show off the combat, they decided to intentionally troll Conan. Having the goal of the ridiculously huge boss battle be to run out of range (only to say it'd take three real days to beat) doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would happen by accident. They probably figured that their best shot at using the publicity would be to play up the absurdity in hopes of a) going viral and b) making people curious as to what the heck the game actually is.

Haha, lighten up. I thought it was a neat episode. You can't tell me that the part where their mouths went agape at the dress wasn't brilliant.

To be fair to Squenix, can you really see Conan being even vaguely competent at XV's battle system? Most of the gaming press don't seem to know what they're doing half the time -- it's generally been fans (and certain devs) who have managed to show what the game looks like closer to its very high skill ceiling.

It kind of seems like, since they couldn't show off the combat, they decided to intentionally troll Conan. Having the goal of the ridiculously huge boss battle be to run out of range (only to say it'd take three real days to beat) doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would happen by accident. They probably figured that their best shot at using the publicity would be to play up the absurdity in hopes of a) going viral and b) making people curious as to what the heck the game actually is.
Oh, they definitely went through some combat. Elijah had passed one wave of enemies in the footage. They just didn't show it.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
YouTube is now out:

I find the video hilarious, but I will say I do also find these Clueless Gamer videos scientifically interesting. They always make a point of getting on a celebrity guest that likes video games - Wood isn't just somebody known to like games, he's a proper full-on video game nerd whose favourite game of all time is The Secret of Monkey Island. And then, as mad as it sounds, and though he's playing up to camera, I do think Conan can be broadly representative of the type of audience who might occasionally play a game but generally not be that into it. Though it's all played for laughs, you get a general sense of how a game might play with that audience... the type who occasionally buys Madden, or DOOM, or Uncharted, etc. It's interesting to see what games bore him, what games he gets genuinely excited about, etc. I think there's something telling in it for certain segments of the audience.

Here's some other videos -- Fallout 4, Gears of War:

I think it's important to link these for those who aren't as familiar with the Clueless Gamer series - they always mock and prod, though FF15 does appear to have not gone down too well with Conan. It's funny, though!

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Oh, they definitely went through some combat. Elijah had passed one wave of enemies in the footage. They just didn't show it.
That would have been a tutorial fight, wouldn't it? That still sort of gives the impression that they didn't trust Conan with the full combat system.

(After watching the Clueless Gamer segment on Witcher 3, I can see why -- his fighting style in that game looked to have been spamming one of the attack buttons over and over and sometimes holding down the button for fire magic. XD; )

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
This was a comedy bit, nothing more, nothing less. Pushing a car as a cold open, walking around a town, and a long superboss fight -- people are taking it way too seriously. It's like it's an RPG or something.

What is it about this game that people have such a vested interest in its failure? For that matter, why would anyone want any game to fail? Maybe it's me, but I hope every game is good and successful, even if it isn't my cup of tea. I don't have any say in how people spend their leisure time.

Video games. Serious business.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
Comedy sketch or not, there are a lot of people that don't understand that these are satire, and considering how much they're riding on this game, it was a shit PR move.

Comedy sketch or not, there are a lot of people that don't understand that these are satire, and considering how much they're riding on this game, it was a shit PR move.
Was it really? Disregarding my statement earlier, the presence of the game on O'Brien's show seems to have given it a temporary buzz boost. Considering the common PR wisdom of "not talking at all being worse than trash-talking", it doesn't seem as rubbish to me.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
The only thing I lament about this is that it gives shitposters fuel for their, well, shitposting. Also, clickbait sites, but that's what they already do, so who cares.

It was alright, definitively not one of his best, though (I love Aaron and Conan -when the latter is in one his remotes and is able to improvise outside of the cookie-cutter, bland interviews he has to do. Seriously, the only American show that makes them feel genuine and fun was Craig Ferguson's. I also really like the approach that Graham Norton has on BBC, but this is not a talkshow forum, lol-).

I haven't watched them all in a long time, but I do remember him actually having fun with Smash Bros even though he didn't know jackshit about anything that was going on the screen. Hence, the, you know, "Clueless gamer" title this section has.