FFVII Remake vs. The Compilation of FFVII

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
As everyone here must already know, the universe of Final Fantasy VII isn't limited to the original game itself. After the initial success of FFVII, it spawned a subseries of its own, consisting of multiple video games, a movie, animes and novellas. Commonly refered to as The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, these extensions of FFVII fill the gaps in its story, add new elements to the lore or even outright retcon some parts of the original. However, the Compilation didn't repeat FF7's success and became fairly divisive among the fanbase. Some fans loved it for being able to spend more time with characters and world they loved, others believe it to be of subpar quality and decry it as a taint on FF7's reputation.

Either way, there is a massive amount of content in this expanded universe of FF7 and I'm very curious about how SE is going to approach all this material when developing the remake. Will they fully embrace the Compilation and stuff the Remake with lots of references? Or will they try to play it safe and either ignore the Compilation or be very subtle when referencing it? Maybe they could cherry-pick some less controversial elements to include while leaving out the widely disliked ones?

Hell, they could even go the Star Wars route and declare all the Compilation non-canon so that the Remake can have a fresh start.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
First the title FFVIIR vs The Comp of FVII is misleading.

Re thread:
Since this is a remake and not just a simple HD upgrade of the original game I think they will reset the expanded universe.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
wasn't Nomura heavily involved in the compilation stories? if so, i would expect a lot of references to them.
I'm not that sure honestly. He was the director of Advent Children but in other entries he's mostly credited as a character designer. Plus, there are all the novellas which are Nojima's stories.

Also, even though he may be credited as the director of the remake, I don't think he's solely responsible for decision making. There's also Kitase and probably others, we don't really know all the staff working on the remake at this point.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I'm not that sure honestly. He was the director of Advent Children but in other entries he's mostly credited as a character designer. Plus, there are all the novellas which are Nojima's stories.

Also, even though he may be credited as the director of the remake, I don't think he's solely responsible for decision making. There's also Kitase and probably others, we don't really know all the staff working on the remake at this point.
you're right, there's kitase, i just hope they don't reference genesis lol

anyway, i dont expect to be a big deal kind of reference, the main story is meaty enough.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
The compilation is largely utter dog shit, though I do expect the events of Crisis Core to be deeply canonized in the remake (IE, I expect the Nibelheim flashback to resemble CC's version of events, etc).

People probably shouldn't forget that the latest compilation entry on the timeline, Dirge of Cerberus, ends with a cliffhanger that as-yet is unresolved. I presume because no individual piece of the compilation was barnstormingly successful they pressed pause on whatever this was leading into - probably a proper FF7-2 - but who knows what'll be thrown up in a post-remake world.