FFXII team are the only team that still care about RPG stats!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Also in 15 the main messing around componant will be optimizing your weapon layouts and hopefully gambits as well instead of stats. However I am a big fan of stat management if it's well implemented like in 10 and 12.
For XV stats shouldn´t be a problem since action gameplay battles are more dependant of player skills rather than stats.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I agree with a few of you where I prefer more stats, after all, I started playing RPG when stats were important and I enjoyed checking at my progress and tweak little things here and there to improve stats, one of the main reasons FFXIV:ARR is so attractive to me.

I really hope that the Final Fantasy can continue with more stat-base gameplay, but as some had pointed out, as the series getting more "casual", the more they cut down this kind of stuff. I personally prefer they have main series FF remaining with stats, with side FF venture off with more creative gameplay; unfortunately they seem to be doing exactly the opposite.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I knew who made this thread just after seeing the title ;p
Both FFXIII (Business Division 1) and FFXV (Business Division 2) only have 2 stats influencing battle. That's just utter garbage. These games clearly are more style than substance. It seems that 1st Production Department (BD1 - BD4) are caring more about graphics and story over gameplay with mainline FF. They don't bother with the RPG matrix in their mainline games. However, the FFXII team (BD5) still a care about the RPG matrix.
Honestly, it's really silly, but still a notch above GAF arguing that Persona 5 will be better because of flashier menu.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I knew who made this thread just after seeing the title ;p

Honestly, it's really silly, but still a notch above GAF arguing that Persona 5 will be better because of flashier menu.
Any other gaming forum is better than GAF by a long shot, no contest.

I ask, if there´s a RPG1 with 25 stats vs RPG2 with 30 stats, which one is the better RPG ? I´m very sure that Skyrim success has nothing to do with its 20 stats.
Adding to this comment of mine, i will make a comparison with 2 other games, Persona 3 and 4.
Both games have the following stats in common :
  1. St (strenght)
  2. Ma (magic)
  3. En (endure)
  4. Ag (agility)
  5. Lu (luck)
  6. a total of six stats elements (fire,wind,ice,thunder,light,darkness)
  7. Physical attack
  8. A bunch of status ailment (silence, poison, berserk and many more, both games have the same ammount)
They share a total of 13 stats/elements.
There´s a majority agreement in that between Persona 4 and Persona 3, the former is superior to the later. However, Persona 3, apart from having the 13 common stats it also has the Physical attack divided in 3 categories (slash, pierce, strike) as well as having a stamina stat system (not presented in P4) divided in 4 categories (great, good, tired, sick) making a total of 20 stats. Despite P3 having a total of 20 stats, P4 (with its 13 stats) it´s considered a superior game with superior "substance" in gameplay.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Any other gaming forum is better than GAF by a long shot, no contest.
Even GameFAQ? o_O

The forum is not loaded with nothing but bad and dumb posters. There are plenty of good and smart posters as well. Perhaps seek out the good posters and ignore the bad ones? That's what I do.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Even GameFAQ? o_O

The forum is not loaded with nothing but bad and dumb posters. There are plenty of good and smart posters as well. Perhaps seek out the good posters and ignore the bad ones? That's what I do.
Gamefaqs is a cesspool. Mostly trolls and people that think they're funny. There isn't real discussion to be had there

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
Skyrim has 18 different stats that operates as skills the player can level up. This many stats in one game is more than any FF ever created. Skyrim has shipped over 20 million worldwide as of January 2014. The highest selling Final fantasy is FFVII, with 11 million sold. Therefore, I think more stats in FF has a better chance of making the series sell more, not less stats. It just blows my mind that another mainline FF will again have only 2 stats like FFXIII. It's as if Tabata learned nothing from modern WRPGs like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age.
Also please don't claim Skyrim is a example of people liking complex RPG stuff in their games. Skyrim is so dumbed down it's not even funny.
Since Morrowind the Elder Scrolls series has been getting dumber and dumber.
For real tho, Skyrim only has 3 stats you "level", Stamina, Magic and Health.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences_Between_Morrowind,_Oblivion,_and_Skyrim

It breaks my heart every time I go through that list, how much they ruined the series.

@Lumina: You forgot to mention that both Persona 3 & 4 have five additional "social stats" (Courage, Diligence, Knowledge, Expression and Understanding in P4's case) that are a necessity for doing the social link stuff.

It also needs to be mentioned that western-style RPGs tend to have more stats because they check nearly anything against some sort of stat, unlike jRPG where stats matter primarily in combat, except for some games like Persona.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Ok i take my words, GameFAQ and NeoGAF tie for worst gaming forums.
GameFAQ is a forum? I guess it is... wow... I never consider it as a forum, despite I go there and check for random things once in a while. I just treat it as a place where people leaving comments. I guess my brain just shuts everything off when it comes to negative space like that. Weird how our brain works.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Except the demo has HP, MP, Attack, Defence and Critical stats, also Speed stats were mentioned in an interview confirming we can use buffs from camping to increase the speed stat, not to mention activating phantom sword increases your speed, attack and defence stat while it's expending MP.

And he didn't say magic doesn't use stats, he said magic doesn't use the MP bar that is used for phantom sword, warping and abilities.

Magic spells uses magical rings and will still need w stat to determine damage output, while MP is still a stat for phantom sword, abilities and warping.

So at the very least we have HP, MP Attack, Defence, Speed, Critical and another stat for magic spells which will most likely be Intelligence.