FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I will most likely not play the DLC(yeh I got the season pass lol)so if I get redeem code for them I'm happy to pass them on to any of you guys.

I'm done with FFXV. I don't intend to go back to it and I'll move on from it after 10 years.

Gaming in general will be light for me now. Next up is Tales of Beseria!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I will most likely not play the DLC(yeh I got the season pass lol)so if I get redeem code for them I'm happy to pass them on to any of you guys.

I'm done with FFXV. I don't intend to go back to it and I'll move on from it after 10 years.

Gaming in general will be light for me now. Next up is Tales of Beseria!
i'd glady accept in this case, but this is your choosing to do XP

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Sure, man! I'm not sure how it works with season pass so I don't know if I'll get a code or if it will automatically download.
If it's the former then I'm happy to give them away :)
i appreciate that, man ;)

edit: my brother was playing and just saw noctis with his
versus suit in those lodgings cutscenes, he had the kingly suit equipped
a shame the game only gives you the "no jacket" option ;(

edit:

https://gfycat.com/SpotlessWarpedAfricanpiedkingfisher

i'm beginning to think this is intentional not a glitch lol

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
The finale fucking delivered!

So much humanity, heart and emotion. Really got me choked up. Well....what can I say? Noctis and Co.....are the best!

One scene in particular in the end cutscnes was emotionally so painful to watch. I was on the verge of tears.

The game is full of charm and humanity. The final was powerful, memorable and had lasting impact.
the problem lies in game design and world building. They needed to flesh out certain story scenarios more and give focus to more of the characters. Add more location. Make it feel grander.
I had similar feelings, but I still think FFXV makes my top tier of FF games. Tabata and BD2 had 2.5 years -- if that -- to deliver a competent product (and you don't redo major story elements unless there's something REALLY wrong). They doubled down on the main characters and gameplay - and it worked. What "might have been" for me is if the right man was in charge from the beginning of the Versus reboot.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I think some people really harsh on this game plot. SE said alot of times that the plot will be simple. And its truly is. Basically its chosen hero saves the world, generic isn't it? But...but the true gem of this game is how people get attached to the characters, went through amazing journey, and win against all odds, even with sacrifices. They truly made a great job to make you love these characters, and in the end you just don't want to leave them behind and move on. I think its the real point of this game. Bonding.

Yes some characters are undeveloped, yes second half feels rushed. But in the end, they did great job anyway, if so much people emotional about it. For me personally its the first game that made me cry so much. I REALLY HOPE they expand universe in DLC's.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Man, i want talk so much about this game and characters, but my fucking english skills won't let me. Ehhh.

I have so much to say about Luna, Ravus, Aranea, Ardyn, Noctis and boys :(
Hey you're English skills seem fine lol

Discuss away. Let's talk characters!

(Spoiler thread of course not here xD)

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I can't fully express what i want to say, my english is basic :( Its my third language.
Your English is very impressive for your 3rd language. Reading your posts, I would have thought it was your 1st.

I understand what you're saying. There seems to be a ton of plot and lore that was left on the cutting room floor. Perhaps it'll be restored in DLC, or a Final Fantasy Versus 15 ;) But the comparisons to "Stand By Me" are apt. In that movie, the dead body is incidental to the interactions between the characters. (And even better, no Wil Wheaton.)

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I can't fully express what i want to say, my english is basic :( Its my third language.
3rd language?!? Damn that's some skills dude lol

Your English is fine. We all understand you here :)

Also the fact that you're posting on an English language forum regularly is great for practicing.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Up to chapter 14 with a fair amount of side content completed. 45 hours give or take.

I've spent most of my time going back and forth between "OMG, this is awesome" to "wtf" and everywhere in between. Not unlike Chinglee's up and down saga over the lat couple of pages :p. But, it wouldn't be a Final Fantasy game if I didn't have the opposite reaction to everything he did, lol.

I found the story elements of the Open World sections to be downright terrible. Now, granted, I haven't done more than 3 or 4 side quests. I've only done hunts and story quests and personal exploration, so maybe that fleshes the story out more, but the presentation of it reminded me a lot of the same problems I had with Kingsglaive. Anything not having to do with the main characters just feels out of nowhere. Like the story was written by committee and these are the points they wanted to hit, but couldn't find a way to naturally transition to them in a way that gives it any impact.

I thought the "second half" was much, much better thematically. It had momentum and pacing and it involved characters I genuinely cared about. Even made me care about Ignis who used to be my least favorite, until the story lets you realize just how much he's brought to the table. This wasn't Shakespearean, but a more than passable Final Fantasy story and I found it very satisfying.

I've not completed the final act yet, if only because there's a monster in my way and I can't beat it yet, lol. I don't know if you can cheese it, or skip it, but I decided that I would take advantage of being at the point of no return to go ahead and return and get stronger.

The gameplay itself in the Open World is great, though. I am absolutely loving all of the stuff that you can do. Really getting a much better feel for the combat as well. It's still immensely satisfying. Like with the Episode Duscae combat, I've gotten to a point where I can time the dodges smoothly in the flow of the attack and this is where the combat really *feels* great, even if it's a bit more simplistic than I had hoped.

I feel like I'm the only one on the 'net that liked Chapter 13:

Now, I understand that people may not like the aspect where you basically end up starting the chapter with nothing and have to procure your own equipment, but that was completely necessary both thematically and for gameplay reasons, and I thought it was done perfectly. Especially considering it's also your introduction to the ring. I feel like people were expecting it to be a short gimmick, but it ended up being a fully fleshed out dungeon. I really didn't see a problem with it at all.

The gameplay reasons is that this is an open world game and you can end up there at level 99 with all the highest grade equipment you can get, or you can show up there at level 25 with basic stuff, and this keeps that dungeon interesting no matter what. Something other FF games lacked, frankly, as the final dungeons would often feel like walking through a newbie zone by the time you're doing doing sidequests and getting beefed up.

I will say this, though. I will never ever follow a game this closely again. For one, I rally just can't stand how jaded and cynical some of the people following these things are. Nothing to do with the game, I just feel like at a certain point some people should just stop playing videogames if everything is going to piss them off all the time. And frankly, I feel like most of them just love to wallow in their doom and gloom and desperately try to get others to be miserable with them. I don't need any of that. I read from about a million people how "terrible" chapter 13 was supposed to be. And I was having fun with that chapter, thinking I was still on 12 and bracing myself for what I thought would be a poor stretch of gaming, only to realize I was already there and apparently didn't notice it was so terrible (because it wasn't). I swear, in fact I promise, that following any game this closely will necessarily lead to enjoying the game less. That is the only inevitable conclusion.

But mostly, it's because they didn't leave much left to actually be explored. Some things felt more hollow than I think it would have been if every moment in the game wasn't basically a checklist of scenes and places I've already seen through the various marketing materials. Especially some of the views and whatnot that would have been their own reward after a small "dungeon" or boss, only to have it be a view I've seen a thousand times without context in various trailers.

Overall, though, I am still really, really digging the game. I'm on the part I like most about any FF game and that's the time where I'm free to just get super strong. I'm already 9999ing most things when I've got some 400 atk food in my belly, but there's no such thing as strong enough!

Protip on accumulating AP: Not sure if there's an ascension node to activate first, but you get 1 AP for every enemy you kill with a warp strike. So, as I go around doing these lower level side quests that I missed, I warp-kill all the lowbie stuff for pretty much 1 AP per kill. For tougher mobs, I got the final warp strike skill that makes close range warp strikes critical hits. So, I can basically chain warp strikes on a single enemy and take it down quickly for the AP bonus. It's a surprisingly satisfying and effective way to kill, especially with the warp strike decoys all over the place and big numbers flying all over the place (with Ignis' enhancement, I can basically 9999 each hit and can get in a good 6 or 7 hits in a couple of seconds, and this is with a sword I bought off a vendor). With armiger weapons, I can get up to around 270 MP, so I can clear out most packs this way with ease.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
BTW, this is absolutely Versus still. All they did was Ctrl+F: Ceith and replace it with Daemons. The layout of the game is also totally opposite of the layout of FFXIII (IE, open first, then linear, as opposed to the opposite) like it's meant to be the antithesis of FFXIII. That same structure is all there, and it's more than just these couple of points.