FFXV Episode Duscae 2.00 impressions

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
What are you talking about? I still hear the same Noctis-Batman.

Also, combat and camera are much, much better now. Faster, and easier. Targeting system still needs work.

May 26, 2014
What are you talking about? I still hear the same Noctis-Batman.
They didn't rerecord his old lines apparently. You can hear his new voice in the party member quests (barely, since they barely recorded any new dialogue as far as I can tell, but it's there). It's not a drastic change, just sounds like he cleared his throat.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
So I just finished the demo and it's pretty good. However, the problem I faced was the insane amount of FPS drops throughout my playthrough. I really hope they fix that.
For that I really hope they release the game on PC. Playing it at 1080p/60fps must be a glorious experience.
Not that playing it at 1080p/30fps on PS4 is something bad (don't know if the Xbone version will reach 1080p though), but still...

Release it on PC, Square!

Demo overall is a lot better now.

- Dodge Roll is great.
- Lock-on cam took some getting used to since they removed camera movement during lock-on. But it's a bit better than 1.0.
- Combo switching via direction input is a nice touch, makes battles a bit more engaging.
- Cross Chains are cool (literally just Trinity Rush from The Bouncer haha).
- Framerate feels a bit more stable.
- Noctis moves to avoid party members so they don't block his path.

Also it seems like they reduced the recovery frames on attacks, so it's easier to quickly change to defensive stance.
And does anyone know how to trigger pre-battle interactions? or is it random?
Looks like a lot more attacks can be canceled into defensive stance in addition to the reduced recovery.

After playing a bit more, I feel that short sword directional inputs are good for repositioning yourself during Ravage. Great sword's back input can be used for charge attacks (note that you cannot be interrupted if you do this with Armiger on, so this is great for landing on crowds) while forward seems to function purely for positioning yourself closer to the enemy. Lance during Ravage does not seem to have too impressive of a moveset by comparison. You can use side Ravage to hit multiple enemies faster, but it doesn't do it better than Zweihander does. I think it works better under Counter or Crush.

Disappointed that we can't land Cross Chains on bosses. Staggering the Behemoth or landing that rare parry still feels worthless when the damage we can deal barely makes up for it.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I don't like how quick the non-voiced text chat speeds across the bottom of the screen. I have no time at all to read it before it's gone.

I'm still kinda learning how to 'master' the combat/weapon system. In-game guides don't really explain much.

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
On first impression knightsguard seems trickier to activate. Can only seem to do it on moves that knock Noct over like magitec kick, or deadeye hit. Normal attacks seem to stagger Noct a lot less, also.
Perhaps this change is in place to accommodate the new timed mp-free dodge?

zenobia

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 13, 2015
Noctis voice sounds the same to me. the dialog between them and with the new cutscenes you only see them talking with words on screen i don't hear what their saying. also i really like the link attacks they do together it's just hard to see what's going on alot of the time because the camera goes crazy in those moments. my favorite on tour quest is with prompto i dragged out my time with him fighting soilders.

I don't like how quick the non-voiced text chat speeds across the bottom of the screen. I have no time at all to read it before it's gone.

I'm still kinda learning how to 'master' the combat/weapon system. In-game guides don't really explain much.
I hope all of the speech gets voiced in the final game. The non-voiced text kind of bothered me as well, and not just because they end too quickly =/

If you've collected all the available swords (one each from the dungeon, first Behemoth kill, and somewhere along the north-east side of the map), you'll be able to use Knightsguard. It's a handy skill which allows you to recover lost HP when you use defensive stance as soon as you get hit.

There are a few more tricks that I know of, which I've included in a video. Tried my best to include all the new combat mechanics from the patch.

On first impression knightsguard seems trickier to activate. Can only seem to do it on moves that knock Noct over like magitec kick, or deadeye hit. Normal attacks seem to stagger Noct a lot less, also.
Perhaps this change is in place to accommodate the new timed mp-free dodge?
Hm, I don't think so. Knightsguard is easier to land for me thanks to the smoother frame rate.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Nice, I'll try to get around to watching that vid. I know for starters that I completely mess up on the Cross Link attack thing. I thought it only lets you do the three square attacks and then the triangle finisher. You seem to carry it on for longer chains. Do you then have to guess the square input following the third one? Once the square button prompt disappeared, I thought you had to do the triangle move. Eh, I'll probably try it again tomorrow.

I do have the different swords, but I wasn't sure if highlighting them in the weapons menu was me actually equipping them or not. I guess you don't equip those, and they simply allow you to do those extra abilities in battle. I wasn't quite sure how and when to perform them, though. Also don't know which is really the best setup for the weapons. I stuck with what seemed the default for the most part - drain blade as my continuous attack - but also tried out the zweihander, too, which seemed powerful, but slow.

Tried to fight the catoblepas for a laugh, and boy, the camera goes all over the place because the targeting reticle locks onto his head. When you're directly below him, the camera points right above into the sky, and you can't see where on earth you're moving.

Lots of camera and frame rate issues in there, as others have mentioned.

tbh, I'm a bit frustrated I can't send any feedback at all now. I got the demo late on, so my voice probably wouldn't have made a difference for 2.0 even if I did do the survey, but as someone that wasn't able to give any feedback, I would have thought they'd run another survey for 2.0. I need to vent about the superior run button being binded to square, whilst L2 and R2 do nothing. And now things like the fast text, and I'm sure other issues people have with 2.0... How are we going to give them that feedback that we like/dislike about the updated version now?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
tbh, I'm a bit frustrated I can't send any feedback at all now. I got the demo late on, so my voice probably wouldn't have made a difference for 2.0 even if I did do the survey, but as someone that wasn't able to give any feedback, I would have thought they'd run another survey for 2.0. I need to vent about the superior run button being binded to square, whilst L2 and R2 do nothing. And now things like the fast text, and I'm sure other issues people have with 2.0... How are we going to give them that feedback that we like/dislike about the updated version now?
I couldn't even submit my feedback to begin with, because I purchased the digital version of Type-0 HD...

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Nice, I'll try to get around to watching that vid. I know for starters that I completely mess up on the Cross Link attack thing. I thought it only lets you do the three square attacks and then the triangle finisher. You seem to carry it on for longer chains. Do you then have to guess the square input following the third one? Once the square button prompt disappeared, I thought you had to do the triangle move. Eh, I'll probably try it again tomorrow.
With a full party, after the 3rd successful cross chain, a new party member joins in (you get a bit of a break at this point, because there's an animation for them joining the CC.) The square prompt shows up again after it finishes.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
With a full party, after the 3rd successful cross chain, a new party member joins in (you get a bit of a break at this point, because there's an animation for them joining the CC.) The square prompt shows up again after it finishes.
Hmm, it might be because I was only doing the cross chain when I was in a party of two, so I wasn't getting the option to chain it longer? Will have to try in a full party tomorrow.

Yeah, what's the point of all that 'feedback' talk that was one of the major selling points of the demo; only to prevent an entire portion of players who bought the game from submitting said feedback.
There should definitely have been a way to enable legitimate digital purchasers to do the survey, too. Linking your PSN account to your Square Enix account should be a thing, and that would be enough to register once it checks you own the game. Or once your redeem your demo, they should email you a unique code to register in your SE account. Laziness, I'm putting it down to.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Hmm, it might be because I was only doing the cross chain when I was in a party of two, so I wasn't getting the option to chain it longer? Will have to try in a full party tomorrow.
Even with 2 man, you should still be able to get a full chain. The cut-ins just don't happen for you since there's no one else joining in. It's definitely possible to hit a 12-chain with only 2 people.

If you think at it in terms of the demo, I think (maybe & hopefully) they only have unvoiced dialogue due to several reasons and eventually, there will be voiced dialogue in the final version.
I don't know. SE doesn't exactly have a history of voicing every dialogue a la Western RPGs.

Speaking of dialogue, what is up with Gladio and that Fleurette brooch? His whole demeanour about it gave me the impression that he's closer to Luna than Noctis is, perhaps even together with her. It's possible that I'm just overthinking it, but Noctis seemed indifferent about the brooch.

Last edited: