FFXV Gamescom 2015 details

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 21, 2015
Heya haven't been on here in forever though I felt like I needed to say this.
So the interwebz is saying the showing for Final Fantasy XV was somewhat lackluster and the fanbase and commenters and, well everyone is really pissed off.
I am kinda too, probably cause there is still a small part of me that wants to see it suceed because of my time with it as Versus XIII
But now I know it's not Versus anymore it is FFXV. Although it was born from Versus.

So here are the reasons why and some of my thoughts and analysis behind it. Feel free to ignore this if it doesn't interest you. But this is my sociological business side coming out.
I'll post this in the regular FFXV thread too.

1. No release date or window.
2. They keep saying Luna is a damsel in distress Stella wasn't.
3. All the changes they are making from Versus XIII including Regis design.
4. Lack of gameplay shown.
5. Don't know what's going on in the trailer thus can't be emotionally intrigued or invested.
6. Lack of story details.
7. Nothing to get them hyped again.

There are several things to note though.

1. Most people cannot admit that this is no longer Versus XIII and it is different so they should see it as something new rather than a 9 year old promise.
2. Even though it is not Versus it was born from it and evolved from it so Versus is its core and its essence.
3. Lunafreya is only shown slightly so they need to withhold judgement. Also she is teased to be the one who summons Leviathan... Yea damsel in distress my ass.
4. All the redesigns are normal for game development it's just that Versus XIII was a special case. We basically got to see it when it was in pre development stages so things naturally change. I also believe that all the changes were okayed and done by the previous Kingdom Hearts director before he left the project.
5. The are basically trying to ease all the people in with the changes in a slow manner.
6. The "Dawn" trailer shown would have been great for mid promotional phase but to start it... Eh not so much.
7. They need to release some back story to get players emotionally intrigued.
8. Players are dumb they don't know what they want, the don't want to be spoiled but they want story details.
9. They need to show the full fleshed out gameplay and combat system.
10. We need a 5 min story trailer with gameplay and a release window soon. The fans and masses will be back on the hype train then. But it needs to happen fast or they will lose traction.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
This was very underwhelming. Oh well, at least my excitement has been decreasing progressively during the year and not in just one day lol. I actually even wished we were waiting for the actual XV one (now XVI, I guess), as this has really drained my passion for this project (which is silly: it's just a videogame and wasn't even beyond concept phases!).

I don't know, regardless of the changes and all that (I guess Tabata wants his own thing, but changing important characters' designs like is, I think, silly, especially when the previous one was great (the new one is cool, though)), this ATR has been really mediocre. It's like they didn't understand what they had to do.

I mean, I'd almost had preferred they skipped GC too and do a big blowout in TGS instead of draggin this down. I guess it's my fault for thinking that the marketing actually starts here in a bang, but it's not even if I expected a lot tbh.

The concept art they've shown is flawless, though. I've never been a fan of Noctis and co's design, but man, the rest has always looked soooo good. Really reminds me of VIII, which, along with IX, has my favourite FF setting by far.

BTW, do they really think they won't be able to reach a 2016 and don't want to compromise themselves? Or is it that they want to actually have a release date (like, a full one) at TGS?

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
So the interwebz is saying the showing for Final Fantasy XV was somewhat lackluster and the fanbase and commenters and, well everyone is really pissed off.
I am kinda too, probably cause there is still a small part of me that wants to see it suceed because of my time with it as Versus XIII
But now I know it's not Versus anymore it is FFXV. Although it was born from Versus.

So here are the reasons why and some of my thoughts and analysis behind it. Feel free to ignore this if it doesn't interest you. But this is my sociological business side coming out.

5. Don't know what's going on in the trailer thus can't be emotionally intrigued or invested.

1. Most people cannot admit that this is no longer Versus XIII and it is different so they should see it as something new rather than a 9 year old promise.
2. Even though it is not Versus it was born from it and evolved from it so Versus is its core and its essence.
3. Lunafreya is only shown slightly so they need to withhold judgement. Also she is teased to be the one who summons Leviathan... Yea damsel in distress my ass.
4. All the redesigns are normal for game development it's just that Versus XIII was a special case. We basically got to see it when it was in pre development stages so things naturally change. I also believe that all the changes were okayed and done by the previous Kingdom Hearts director before he left the project.
5. The are basically trying to ease all the people in with the changes in a slow manner.
6. The "Dawn" trailer shown would have been great for mid promotional phase but to start it... Eh not so much.
8. Players are dumb they don't know what they want, the don't want to be spoiled but they want story details.
10. We need a 5 min story trailer with gameplay and a release window soon. The fans and masses will be back on the hype train then. But it needs to happen fast or they will lose traction.
Well written. I don't even need to add my reply to this thread because you captured it all :)

My disappointment probably mostly stems from the misunderstanding there was supposed to be a big push for FFXV at Gamescom (I more or less think everyone now seems to have had this misunderstanding).

Now, for my own sanity, I think I'm going to go in the dark on this game until it releases.

Feb 21, 2015
Now, for my own sanity, I think I'm going to go in the dark on this game until it releases.
Perfect. Personally Im trying to see it as a new game and not a 9 year old promise. Which in turn means to logically retain my hype until I see something good. Then when that happens, its okay to be excited.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Perfect. Personally Im trying to see it as a new game and not a 9 year old promise. Which in turn means to logically retain my hype until I see something good. Then when that happens, its okay to be excited.
I think this is the healthiest approach. I'm getting there, I guess, but I still have a loooong way to actually see it as a different game and enjoy for what it is.

Also, I'd pay BIG money for them to release a book (or in the Ultimania) detailing things from the Versus era as well as a general overview of this game's development. They won't do that (or not in a scale I'd love to see), but I guess they could have a post-mortem after the game releases and all that talking about it a bit.

I actually feel pretty bad about Nomura, as this really seemed to be his passion project. I wonder how he feels about this, I doubt there's bad blood between him and Tabata, as this change, I guess, was needed.

Feb 21, 2015
I actually feel pretty bad about Nomura, as this really seemed to be his passion project. I wonder how he feels about this, I doubt there's bad blood between him and Tabata, as this change, I guess, was needed.
For some reason I have a hunch that Nomura was not forced but took part in all the major changes we are seeing before he left the project.
After all the E3 2013 trailer was in essence a send off of Final Fantasy Versus XIII straight down to the dialogue that Stella has and what was said throughout the entire trailer while showing Luna as a child as well. Nomura was still on the project then too.

I mean, "Don't worry about me live your own life." "The world is ever changing ending as we speak." Not to mention story hints and inconsistencies from Final Fantasy Versus XIII info.

I believe all the changes and character design changes were made with Nomura back when it changed from Versus to XV. There are hints everywhere for that.
I just think Square is easing us into those changes slightly so we don't blow a gasket and rage because its not what was shown back when it was Versus.
Thats my gut feeling backed up by logic and some intriguing evidence at least

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014

Well said,
I'm not that disappointed by the short trailer and the short gameplay in the ATR.
The Fans wanted a story? So there it is, it was almost perfect for a story trailer. It didn't showed too much

Some people are not realizing that Tabata almost every ATR answers first some questions and than a gameplay scene.
The only difference today was that he showed a very short gameplay scene, but with a brand NEW location and monsters.
And don't forget he also shared many new artworks and thanks to that we finally know how big Lucis is. ;D

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Final Fantasy XV Director Responds to Criticism for Stella’s Removal; Explains Why Luna Was Chosen

Within the overall theme of the journey, the team reasoned on what position a heroine should take, and thought that rather than having a more passive and weak heroine that needs to be saved, it would be much better to have a stronger and more determined female character, who actively engages with the events in the story, and to play that role they thought they needed a different character than Stella.

That’s why they decided on Luna, that is the character that can fullfill that role.

Luna will be presented as a very strong-willed character: she talks to people about her hopes and dreams and she acts on her own initiative, really playing a big part in the story.
So Stella was a weak character and Luna is strong?
That's interesting. This means that this game's marketing was even a bigger mess than I thought. Literally everything shown of these characters implied the exact opposite. And now it makes even less sense that they changed her name. But we'll see...

And tbh at this point I'm more excited for the story of this game's development than the actual game.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy XV Director Responds to Criticism for Stella’s Removal; Explains Why Luna Was Chosen

So Stella was a weak character and Luna is strong?
That's interesting. This means that this game's marketing was even a bigger mess than I thought. Literally everything shown of these characters implied the exact opposite. And now it makes even less sense that they changed her name. But we'll see...

And tbh at this point I'm more excited for the story of this game's development than the actual game.
There was no reason to change her name to begin with as far as I'm concerned. Hell, there was no reason to even announce that the character was rewritten either. I don't know why it needed to be public knowledge. Something had to be made available to the general public during the Versus XIII days that really told us something very important about the character.

Stuff like this usually doesn't get talked about until after the game comes out too.

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
I think the funny part will be after we all buy the game, cuz you know we're all going to, how much will this pre-game/forum-raiding factor into our enjoyment?

I mean I laughed for quite a while yesterday as I started wondering about a minute into the trailer if that's all there was going to be... and then sure enough GAF didn't disappoint with their reactions. Not to mention all the ups and downs as new information comes out and then Tabata-san descends from above and stabs Stella almost out of nowhere. I've been more vested in FFXV characters that seemingly never were than I ever was with Tali from Mass Effect (she was my least favorite). Almost like you can't script this stuff.

It's been a fun time and it would almost be unfair to discount these memories after playing through the game.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Forget all this work in progress stuff. Forget this survey stuff. Forget the official forums too. They're not setting up an MMO, it's simply a single player Action RPG!!!

Are they doing this because of how successful A Realm Reborn was with what they did to please they fans? I'M STARTING TO THINK THAT'S THE REASON.
It was quite obvious from the beginning that they were trying to emulate the success of ARR's marketing. But it seems they got the concept a bit backwards this time. Instead of talking about what's in the game, they were talking about stuff they can't reveal yet (their answer to almost every question) or don't know whether it'll be in or not (airships).

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I think a big problem (at least for those like me who've been following Versus since 2006) is that they (whether S-E as whole, the XV team, its marketing/PR teams...) don't know what's expected from them: they're delusional in a way, they should have know their perfomance this GC would be very criticized by people (mainly fans, obviously). They should have seen this coming tbh.

My other main criticism of this 11-month campaign also refers to Tabata... lying? Well, forget that, I don't think he was lying, but he was constantly sending misdirections: they really, REALLY, should have clarified everything during 2014's TGS instead of letting this shit drag out for a year. First it was the combat system (saying that the rest was faithful to Versus' vision), then the character switching thing :(, then the Luna thing as well as basically the whole beginning of the game, now this... Although this is an overreaction on my part due to my "attachement" to this game, I know that much.

But still, I mean: the awkard, lack-luster trailer, the pointless ATR, the answerless questions (what the fuck, at least pick some questions you can provide actual answers for!), the Regis' redesign (merely talking for myself: I doubt many care), the airship stuff (it's a bit worrying that they're still considering it)...

I don't know how the hell they didn't see the "backlash" coming.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I think a big problem (at least for those like me who've been following Versus since 2006) is that they (whether S-E as whole, the XV team, its marketing/PR teams...) don't know what's expected from them: they're delusional in a way, they should have know their perfomance this GC would be very criticized by people (mainly fans, obviously). They should have seen this coming tbh.

My other main criticism of this 11-month campaign also refers to Tabata... lying? Well, forget that, I don't think he was lying, but he was constantly sending misdirections: they really, REALLY, should have clarified everything during 2014's TGS instead of letting this shit drag out for a year. First it was the combat system (saying that the rest was faithful to Versus' vision), then the character switching thing :(, then the Luna thing as well as basically the whole beginning of the game, now this... Although this is an overreaction on my part due to my "attachement" to this game, I know that much.

But still, I mean: the awkard, lack-luster trailer, the pointless ATR, the answerless questions (what the fuck, at least pick some questions you can provide actual answers for!), the Regis' redesign (merely talking for myself: I doubt many care), the airship stuff (it's a bit worrying that they're still considering it)...

I don't know how the hell they didn't see the "backlash" coming.
Of course its an 11-month campaign. They have only ever promoted this game twice at E3, 2006 & 2013 and they want to do proper promotion at E3 2016.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Of course its an 11-month campaign. They have only ever promoted this game twice at E3, 2006 & 2013 and they want to do proper promotion at E3 2016.
I meant 11-month campaign starting last September and ending this month, not the one starting now. I mean, it wasn't actually a campaign, as it only starts with this GC (supposedly).

But as I said, it's just me being dissapointed over their lack of touch regarding certain aspects I think they should have handled better.