Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
What do you guys mean by "anything important"? Do you mean in terms of something as substantial as VII Remake? If so, you're right. The box has FFI to FFXIII on custom printed discs, I - IX on PS1 discs (except III which is on a UMD) and then X and XII on PS2 discs and of course XIII on a PS3 disc. The artwork on them is great and the box itself is pretty cool, but overall it was just repackaged stuff that already existed outside of the art book and little art display thing.

I could see them releasing a smaller box with the classics on one disc for PS4 but some of that stuff is pretty ridiculous.
I meant in terms of events, celebrations... Not that they need to do something (especially with the situation the series was in during that year), mind you (and they very well might have, as I don't really remember).

For one, I didn't even remember that box up until reading your post before and this one. I can see some interesting stuff like artbooks and such. But indeed, if they could make the entire series playable in the same console within the same package and especifically for it, that would be great. I can see that, especially if they make it some kind of unique package, so that the value is even bigger.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I meant in terms of events, celebrations... Not that they need to do something (especially with the situation the series was in during that year), mind you (and they very well might have, as I don't really remember).

For one, I didn't even remember that box up until reading your post before and this one. I can see some interesting stuff like artbooks and such. But indeed, if they could make the entire series playable in the same console within the same package and especifically for it, that would be great. I can see that, especially if they make it some kind of unique package, so that the value is even bigger.
I don't remember an event either, I just ended up buying the collection online at some point after it.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
25th Anniversary consisted of some box set rereleases, some stand-alone re-releases and Dissidia. People should broadly speaking expect similar. All-new ports is a different level though -- IE the 25th box set simply included fresh prints of PS1 and PS2 discs.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Beyond FF IX's shitty guide (it was given to me by a neighbour that was selling his stuff), I shockingly lack any kind of FF goodies like artbooks, physical OSTs, posters, figures... so I think I might end up buying some of these (if they release them and are reasonably priced) next year.

I mean, I remember being a kid when I first got to actually play FF IX (I was 7 or 8) and thinking that it was a bummer that it was so hard to find Vivi or Steiner toys and stuff like that in comparison to, say, DBZ figures (or anime/comic/film stuff in general). Of course, I didn't really use the Internet back them much nor knew where to look, but it's still amazing to see how much of that stuff there is nowadays in comparison, as videogame-related merchandising wasn't as mainstream back then, at least here.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
25th Anniversary consisted of some box set rereleases, some stand-alone re-releases and Dissidia. People should broadly speaking expect similar. All-new ports is a different level though -- IE the 25th box set simply included fresh prints of PS1 and PS2 discs.
The main reason it doesn't seem unrealistic to me is that the older games don't need to be "ported" so much as they need an emulator to run them. That's how they did some other PC ports as well - Those 3d remakes of FFIV and FFIII, etc, all run on built-in android emulators on the PC. The FFVII, VII and IX ports have already been completed and all they need to do is convert those exact versions to the PS4 the same way they did with FFVII.

So, it shouldn't need to be all that much extra work to do so, unless there is any legal red tape somewhere that I'm not thinking of.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Speaking of 30th Anniversary, we have a date.
Square-Enix will be hosting an opening ceremony event to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series.

Set for January 31, 2017 at the Toho Cinemas in Roppongi Hills, the ceremony will include a talk event featuring guests of high stature, and a first time showing of some of the franchise’s 30th anniversary commemoration projects. Expect additional details about the event at a later date. If you happen to be a registered Square Enix Japan member, the company is inviting 200 lucky users to attend.
Some are speculating that will get FFVIIRemake material due to the event taking place on the same day the game was released(JP) back in 1997.

While the timing seens appropiate, I think Square-Enix would likely want to reveal more material for the game in more "important" gaming events.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Speaking of 30th Anniversary, we have a date.

Some are speculating that will get FFVIIRemake material due to the event taking place on the same day the game was released(JP) back in 1997.

While the timing seens appropiate, I think Square-Enix would likely want to reveal more material for the game in more "important" gaming events.
I dunno about that last part. I think they'd rather have the spotlight all to themselves. I think the timing is perfect for some FFVII-R reveals. I'd bet that'll be the climax of the event.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I actually feel that way too, considering the date and Nomura saying something among the lines of wanting to do something important for VII's anniversary (which shouldn't be proof of anything, though: Nomura says a lot of things he wants to do and then... well).

Also, big events like E3 and such are now much less "essential" than before (even FF XV had an even for itself), so I totally see this. Luckily, there's some in-detail explanation of the combat and overall gameplay, as well as concrete talk about the Episodes (number, timeframes...). Some new characters, too (Tifa and Aerith are good candidates. Maybe even Red XIII).

Also, there's always the (veeeery remote) possibility of a XVI teaser. A pipe dream, basically (I would have been more confident if the event had been dated for, say, late 2017. And even then...).

I just hope it's something completely new (fuck Agni's Philosophy -they can salvage Agni's design and some things that are cool if they feel like it, though-), because it's about damn time (TEN YEARS). I beat XV already (probably will write my overall impressions later today), so I'm more than ready for the future.