FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE First Gameplay Trailer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
May 26, 2014
There is a separate limit break bar, I believe this is some other form of just ability system where you charge up your bar using standard combos and expend it on an ability that uses the entire bar, like a mini limit break.
Nice, I didn't even see that limit bar until now. I guess if what you said is correct the moves in the OP gifs are not limits then, since the bar isn't filled. Then again, the entire UI looks pretty WIP-ish so it's all just speculation here.

What you described actually sounds similar to the gauge in KH Birth by Sleep that fills up as you attack and then lets you do a special attack (or transform) when it's full.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I was referring to more than just the action aspect. This seems to have a lot more similarities to Versus in combat than XV does, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
VSXIII had warping ablities, character switching, weapon switching, action gameplay, command menus.
  • FFXV: has warping ablities, weapon switching, action gameplay
  • FFVIIR: Character switching, action gameplay, command menu.
Both have 3 things in common but not all 5 from VSXIII.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
VSXIII had warping ablities, character switching, weapon switching, action gameplay, command menus.
  • FFXV: has warping ablities, weapon switching, action gameplay
  • FFVIIR: Character switching, action gameplay, command menu.
Both have 3 things in common but not all 5 from VSXIII.
Not to be rude, but you're splitting hairs here. I'm not talking about character abilities like weapon switching and warping (or limit breaks and materia), I'm talking about the actual bones of the battle system and how it plays. For instance, XV now relies on the hold to guard/attack thing, the grounded combat, and an overall slower pace. Just at a glance you can see that the VII Remake is closer to KH, as Versus XIII was closer to KH. That's all I'm saying, and I'm not the only one who's noticed.

Oct 19, 2013
Man. I was speechless yesterday. I'm so, so satisfied with the designs and how perfectly they nailed the atmosphere. It's basically exactly how I imagined an ideal remake. I couldn't be happier. Time for one of my nearly yearly FFVII playthroughs. Haven't done so in 3 years or so. It will be last time before the remake for me.

They even made Cloud's face look more like what I hoped for! They NAILED Barret, too. I swear, it feels like they read all my posts here or on GAF and tried to make me happy :D

Battle-system looks great. Though, I hope you can set some of the commands on face-buttons. Maybe more like Type-0. I don't want to switch between D-pad and stick too much. Let us use L1/R1 as modifiers + face-buttons to cast spells so you can quickly switch through pre-determined sets (like Schemata in LR). You'd have 3 x 4 = 12 possible spells to choose from, which is only 4 less than the maximum of 16 Materia slots per character in the original, if I'm not wrong. That's not the end of the world. You'd just have to customize your Materia a bit more wisely. That aspect was really fun in LR, too.

I knew Nomura would try to revive Versus, haha. Some of the scenes of Cloud walking through the streets and the battles in the city at night look like they're straight out of the 2011 Versus trailer. I think Nomura did that deliberately as some sort of nod to that.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
BTW, do you guys think this is a vertical slice they've done? As in, a milestone for the game was creating the whole/part of VII's beginning?

I hope they adress soon how they're developing the game and all that: what engine they're using (I'd say UE4 if I were a betting man), the key people there (beyond the three we already know about), whether it's CC2 or another company who's making it...

They even made Cloud's face look more like what I hoped for! They NAILED Barret, too. I swear, it feels like they read all my posts here or on GAF and tried to make me happy :D
As a guy that dislikes AC's Cloud's face (the one in that pic is an edit, I assume?), I have to say that I actually like this new Cloud. I could do with brighter MAKO eyes and slighty more yellow hair, but it's all good.

I don't really like his arms and all that, though. But yes! I know he was like that in the concept art (although, to be fair, he was much more stylized there) and actually helps to build on his background: his strengh is, literally, unnatural.

I wish they made them slightly bigger (not asking for a Barret-like mass, at all), as they look weird compared to the rest of his body, but that's a very silly complaint anyways and I guess they're intentionally like that. It'd be cool if he got a slighty more toned after some time in the game (I don't know if it would make sense for him to get a bit bigger, but I mean, it does make sense for him to be in such a state at the beginning of the game...)

Not feeling Barret's sunglasses, though. They look silly, and not in a good way (and we're talking about Barret!). The rest is great, though, I like his clothes. And Jesse, Wedge and Biggs look great, too.

Oct 19, 2013
BTW, do you guys think this is a vertical slice they've done? As in, a milestone for the game was creating the whole/part of VII's beginning?

I hope they adress soon how they're developing the game and all that: what engine they're using (I'd say UE4 if I were a betting man), the key people there (beyond the three we already know about), whether it's CC2 or another company who's making it...

As a guy that dislikes AC's Cloud's face (the one in that pic is an edit, I assume?), I have to say that I actually like this new Cloud. I could do with brighter MAKO eyes and slighty more yellow hair, but it's all good.

I don't really like his arms and all that, though. But yes! I know he was like that in the concept art (although, to be fair, he was much more stylized there) and actually helps to build on his background: his strengh is, literally, unnatural.

I wish they made them slightly bigger (not asking for a Barret-like mass, at all), as they look weird compared to the rest of his body, but that's a very silly complaint anyways and I guess they're intentionally like that. It'd be cool if he got a slighty more toned after some time in the game (I don't know if it would make sense for him to get a bit bigger, but I mean, it does make sense for him to be in such a state at the beginning of the game...)

Not feeling Barret's sunglasses, though. They look silly, and not in a good way (and we're talking about Barret!). The rest is great, though, I like his clothes. And Jesse, Wedge and Biggs look great, too.
That's concept art from Naora. Advent Children's actual Cloud looked more androgynous, which I don't like either:

To be fair, Cloud was probably always supposed to look androgynous, even in the original. You could argue it was even acknowledged in the lore (Cloud easily passing as a pretty girl in the cross-dressing section). Personally I just like the look in my last post's pic or this here more:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
That's concept art from Naora. Advent Children's actual Cloud looked more androgynous, which I don't like either:

To be fair, Cloud was probably always supposed to look androgynous, even in the original. You could argue it was even acknowledged in the lore (Cloud easily passing as a pretty girl in the cross-dressing section). Personally I just like the look in my last post's pic or this here more:
My sentiment, too. And I mean, I like the Remake one and he's still kind of androgynus there.

So I particularly dislike the AC look because of how soft and round his features are in there compared to in other games/art where he's sharper. And the eyes, too: it's, overall, a weird mix between an anime style and quite realistic features (both Caucasian and Japanese) without any blemishes, so they make him look weird and artificial as hell, at least to me.

I loke those two you posted too, so I now I know that if I don't like Cloud's appearance in AC is mainly because of his face (still vastly prefer his hair, weapon and clothes in the original).

Oh, man, can't wait for them to show the rest of the characters. Particularly Cid and Tifa. I hope we don't have to wait another year for more, although I'm not expecting more info for quite some time (especially with XV so close to launching).

Pixel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Nov 9, 2015
I figured I'd make a supercut of both trailers and crisis core's ending to create an opening sequence