Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...reenshots-show-red-xiii-side-quests-and-more/

Plenty of new screenshots and finally confirmation of fetch quests... because everyone was worried they wouldnt be in.. (I thought Nomura was a genius?)

but seriously Tifa looks like a blast to play.
It will be a problem if the fetch quests are like FFXV. FFXV's barely gave you anything interesting like weapons or skills, there was so many that are copied and pasted, and it didn't give you any world building. Like FFXV hunts were atrocious, maybe 3 or 4 were actually original designs, most just a recolor of an enemy you normally come across or the boss you just fought a second ago (The jabberwok hunt in costlemark made me extremely angry.) . Now compare the fetch quests in FFXII. The hunts were interesting, you learned about NPCs, it gave you a better idea of the world or gave you reason to explore more of the world, the rewards were pretty great, and there were actual challenges to it. Hopefully these ones actually are interesting to the story/ have some weight to the story, and better reward system.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
It will be a problem if the fetch quests are like FFXV. FFXV's barely gave you anything interesting like weapons or skills, there was so many that are copied and pasted, and it didn't give you any world building. Like FFXV hunts were atrocious, maybe 3 or 4 were actually original designs, most just a recolor of an enemy you normally come across or the boss you just fought a second ago (The jabberwok hunt in costlemark made me extremely angry.) . Now compare the fetch quests in FFXII. The hunts were interesting, you learned about NPCs, it gave you a better idea of the world or gave you reason to explore more of the world, the rewards were pretty great, and there were actual challenges to it. Hopefully these ones actually are interesting to the story/ have some weight to the story, and better reward system.
That's my point, going by the quest descriptions on that image they sound really similar to FFXVs.

FFXIIs is on another league on that regard, latest example of a game with great side-quests is GoW.

Edit

I like the new introduction, atmospheric

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
A quest having "story" does not change the fact gameplay and mechaniquely it still functions like a fetch quest. Quest in both XII & XV are fetch in function, the former just happens to have a more verbose curtain dress than the later.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
A quest having "story" does not change the fact gameplay and mechaniquely it still functions like a fetch quest. Quest in both XII & XV are fetch in function, the former just happens to have a more verbose curtain dress than the later.
even if it functions the same, its much better doing the same thing mechanically while enjoying added world-building, interesting characters, new areas, interesting and varied challenge.

or you can have the same functional quests without none of the above.

The reward and relevance is much greater and its felt.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Whatever works for you, going to fetch from A to B is still going to fetch from A to B and go an kill stuff is still go and kill stuff, and no amount of text and exposition will change that, nor make it more rewarding.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I dont see how a point A to B quest giving meaningful extra content is equally rewarding than a A to B quest devoid of it.

one thing is making me losing time in a fetch kill quest because Takka wants new ingredients for his new meal, another is to give me relevant story information about the condition of the country during years of imperial domination. I would personally cherish the second way more.

Last edited:

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever works for you, going to fetch from A to B is still going to fetch from A to B and go an kill stuff is still go and kill stuff, and no amount of text and exposition will change that, nor make it more rewarding.
In FFXII going from point A to point B often rewards you not only with a unique story bits, but also unique enemy/boss encounters that require a specific tactics or has a gimmick associated with it, freshening the experience.
In FFXV at best you'll get a re-colour of an enemy you've been fighting for hours up to that point anyway (unless it's a dungeon exploration quest).

As for FF VII:R, tbh I'm a bit worried that those side quests won't have those unique encounters or story direction. But we'll see.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
some are believing you'll be able to explore the modern looking districts of Midgar... a part of me still wishes for an interconnected train system where you can go to any sector, but they wouldnt be hiding a feature this cool from the previews I suppose..