Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Finished the demo, had a great time with it overall!

Combat wise i'd still argue its a slice between XIII, XV, and KH3 in aspects but still its own thing due to it's hybrid nature.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
DKHF (@DKHF_) hat getwittert: Nomura said to 4Gamer there was a time where when he was redoing the combat system over and over FF7R's combat wasn't action and was more closer to the original ATB
about the gameplay, while its all cool and dandy and has a certain tactical depth, i miss some cool stuff from XV.

- directional changing combo sequence
- jump and aerial strikes not being automatic + more verticality
- team-up attacks in some form
- magic affecting the field big way

adding those would be amazing tbh, another minor gripe is that while animations are looking great they dont feel as fluid like in FFXV, specially when the character is being knocked-out, running or performing aerial attacks.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
having watched the Eurogamer preview, it seems they slighty modified the HUD bars but im not 100% sure.

the flashback scene with Tifa, being in 1st person-view and with kid Cloud feels reminiscent of Versus XIII/XV; wonder if you can move the camera.

also interesting to note that Aerith is the only one that can see the ghosts, with Cloud only being able to see them after she touches him... "eyes that see the light of expiring souls/ghosts/spirits" is classic Nomura... maybe theyre the souls of people that died on the explosion, but then again theyre called guardians of fate so maybe not.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
played the demo, the gameplay has potential but has some problems:

Cloud

ATB limiting combo variety & Lack of offensive tools

Abilities being tied ATB and their huge cost (50% of your total bar) means you will generally doing the regular and limited Operator/Punisher mode combo string and then chain it with one ability (or two if you save it) and then go back to performing limited combo until it replenishes and repeat, this could be remedied if the cost was lower (like say 20%).
The two systems only have three combo variations, mashing, holding and holding during a mashing string, I feel the lack of combo modifiers like directional imputs will not allow the combat to carry the whole game. Magic also being tied to ATB is unnecesary and reduces your combo options because using either magic and abilities means you won't be able to use the other in the same combo, if the idea was balancing to prevent spamming, magic being tied to MP (which they are in the demo) should have sufficed.

Defensive tools

From an action perspective they are garbage, dodge rolling lacks i-frames and it was terrible, blocking attacks doesn't protect from chip damage (from both firegun attacks and melee). The game needs some type defensive move that protects you from damage when you use it and the game has the move potential move already available in the form of parry but unfortunately it doesn't protect from chip damage. Punisher mode has two types of parry, one from holding the block button which will trigger a parry move the moment and enemy meele attack hits and another comes from the first frames of animation when Cloud switches to Punisher mode, and like any other action game that has a parry mechanique and that requiere a certain minimum of skill, you should be rewarded by not taking damage when you time the coming attack correctly at the last second. Ideally I would preffer a safe defense/parry that protects me from damage not being tied to just punisher mode and be an universal mechanique available on both modes. The only thing preventing it from making the defensive tools worthless is that dodge rolling is marginally usefull to cancel your combo strings (except for the finisher moves) and move you away from hazzards (although it should cover more distance) and blocking attacks gives you ATB.

Miscellaneous issues

Switching from Operator to Punisher is laggy because of the stance switch animation, and while that particular switch stance has a parry attribute during its first frames, it gets in the way and breaks the flow of combo when you're stunlocking enemies with your regular attack string (a situation where you wouldn't need to parry). However, switching from Punisher to Operator is more fluid because the later doesn't have a stance animation like the former (Punisher-Operator are tied by sword swing, unlike Operator-Punisher that's tied by a stance), and it should be changed to this.

I previously said that the defensive tools are marginally not worthless because of some of their utility, like blocking giving you ATB but here's the issue, the game should not be rewarding you for playing poorly (i.e: taking damage) it should reward you for playing well (i.e: perfectly parrying enemy attacks and avoiding damage).

--------

Overall it has potential and there's some good ideas but has issues preventing it from excelling in the action department. Most of what I said are applyable to Barret.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
While I think it is fair to say that the combat has it's own flavor compared to FFXV and KH3 I also feel like it's kinda disingenuous to say it's entirely detached from those combat systems. The character switching, special moves, and ATB functioning like the Tech Bar are all obvious inspirations from XV while the on-the-fly menu navigation and hot-keying of special actions is very clearly taken from KH as a whole with the special triangle button moves kinda being a loose translation of reaction commands. Having influences from these titles is not a bad thing and anyone who denies the clear and very heavy influences is honestly blind imo.

played the demo, the gameplay has potential but has some problems:

Cloud

ATB limiting combo variety & Lack of offensive tools

Abilities being tied ATB and their huge cost (50% of your total bar) means you will generally doing the regular and limited Operator/Punisher mode combo string and then chain it with one ability (or two if you save it) and then go back to performing limited combo until it replenishes and repeat, this could be remedied if the cost was lower (like say 20%).
The two systems only have three combo variations, mashing, holding and holding during a mashing string, I feel the lack of combo modifiers like directional imputs will not allow the combat to carry the whole game. Magic also being tied to ATB is unnecesary and reduces your combo options because using either magic and abilities means you won't be able to use the other in the same combo, if the idea was balancing to prevent spamming, magic being tied to MP (which they are in the demo) should have sufficed.

Defensive tools

From an action perspective they are garbage, dodge rolling lacks i-frames and it was terrible, blocking attacks doesn't protect from chip damage (from both firegun attacks and melee). The game needs some type defensive move that protects you from damage when you use it and the game has the move potential move already available in the form of parry but unfortunately it doesn't protect from chip damage. Punisher mode has two types of parry, one from holding the block button which will trigger a parry move the moment and enemy meele attack hits and another comes from the first frames of animation when Cloud switches to Punisher mode, and like any other action game that has a parry mechanique and that requiere a certain minimum of skill, you should be rewarded by not taking damage when you time the come correctly at the last second. Ideally I would preffer a safe defense/parry that protects me from damage not being tied to just punisher mode and be an universal mechanique available on both modes. The only thing preventing it from making the defensive tools worthless is that dodge rolling is marginally usefull to cancel your combo strings (except for the finisher moves) and move you away from hazzards (although it should cover more distance) and blocking attacks gives you ATB.

Miscellaneous issues

Switching from Operator to Punisher is laggy because of the stance switch animation, and while that particular switch stance has a parry attribute during its first frames, it gets in the way and breaks the flow of combo when you're stunlocking enemies with your regular attack string (a situation where you wouldn't need to parry). However, switching from Punisher to Operator is more fluid because the later doesn't have a stance animation like the former (Punisher-Operator are tied by sword swing, unlike Operator-Punisher that's tied by a stance), and it should be changed to this.

I previously said that the defensive tools are marginally not worthless because of some of their utility, like blocking giving you ATB but here's the issue, the game should not be rewarding you from playing poorly (i.e: taking damage) it should reward you for playing well (i.e: perfectly parrying enemy attacks and avoiding damage).

--------

Overall it has potential and there's some good ideas but has issues preventing it from excelling in the action department. Most of what I said are applyable to Barret.
Thank you for pointing out the abysmal defensive options. In normal combat it wasn't such a big problem since Cloud cuts through most enemies like butter but the scorpion mech fight really highlighted a lot of faults within the combat. Like you said, the defensive tools are downright terrible. The dodge roll doesn't have nearly enough distance or i-frames on it, the block while capable of reducing damage is not a viable long term defensive option as against a flurry of blows you'll still end up sustaining a lot of damage, and from the looks of it you can't cancel out of attack animations into a block which makes using Cloud in high risk situations very counter intuitive when he's the guy that's expected to get in close for huge melee damage. Overall just very clunky in that regard and my go to strategy soon became spamming health potions and cure because trying to dodge and block lead to nowhere pretty fast.

The Operator to Punisher switching and vice versa I didn't have problem with but what did bug me was how it's not clearly defined what knocks you out of Punisher mode since I can't recall how many times I thought I was in Punisher mode after I had clearly activated it (as prompted by the white energy effect and stance switch by Cloud) only to notice that I was back in Operator mode out of nowhere. They need to make it clearer as to what triggers the cancellation of that attack mode.

Also don't like the way limit breaks charge. The bar seems to primarily be charged based on how much damage you take and I don't like having to essentially be manhandled in order to gain access to your most powerful move. Should've been something that fills when you properly block or maybe something that charges based on how many times you can stagger an enemy. It should be something that rewards high levels of play but instead it seems like it's more like a safety net if you get your ass kicked too much.

Anyways I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer as I did genuinely enjoy the demo for the most part; the characters and story-telling were spot on, the music was great, and the combat was fun for the most part but I'm worried that the combat is only gonna be something to fill in the space between major story beats and it likely won't something you can just go back to and enjoy as its own affair. Too many clunky little details are currently holding it back from reaching its full potential.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Character Switching is way closer to FFXII than FFXV. FFXII like the remake it seamlessly switches to a different character that will cease using it's own AI once commands are issued. FFXV switching was like Type-0's: when you change characters it's like a completely new character is now loaded in.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
About dodge-rolling lacking any kind of i-frames, I've also noticed that, but I soon realized that it's not used as your typical action game tool (eg roll from an incoming attack the last second to avoid it).
It's more of a positioning tool - for example, the Scorpion boss telegraphs its area of effect attack as well as its boundries, and the dodge roll allows to quickly get to safety.
Other times the game expects you to use block which builds atb fast, allowing you to heal up in case of emergencies and so on.

So yeah, imo this game is not at all a pure action game - more like a resource management and tactical decisions making type with action elements on top. And with the main focus being on using the right characters at the right time. So very FF in nature, really.

What I do have some problems with though is camera/lock-on sometimes gets very inconvenient. And the lack of jump button is indeed sad.

Also only after playing it once more I've noticed you can use your party members' skills via shortcuts, without pausing the game via L1+R2/L2. Neat.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Also don't like the way limit breaks charge. The bar seems to primarily be charged based on how much damage you take and I don't like having to essentially be manhandled in order to gain access to your most powerful move. Should've been something that fills when you properly block or maybe something that charges based on how many times you can stagger an enemy. It should be something that rewards high levels of play but instead it seems like it's more like a safety net if you get your ass kicked too much.
From my experimentation, its charging's based on the stagger inflicting/damage you deal with a certain character.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
The Operator to Punisher switching and vice versa I didn't have problem with but what did bug me was how it's not clearly defined what knocks you out of Punisher mode since I can't recall how many times I thought I was in Punisher mode after I had clearly activated it (as prompted by the white energy effect and stance switch by Cloud) only to notice that I was back in Operator mode out of nowhere. They need to make it clearer as to what triggers the cancellation of that attack mode.
Dodge rolling cancels Punisher mode, which is quite bad.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Apparently a new trademark for "Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII" has been registered. Could be nothing. Could be something.

Wildest possible explanation; PlatinumGames-developed remake, retaining core elements of the original while improving the gameplay to a standard where it's "wow" rather than "oh" or "meh". Announced at E3 2020.

THIS IS JUST SILLY SPECULATION BASED ON A TRADEMARK. DON'T QUOTE ME.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Apparently a new trademark for "Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII" has been registered. Could be nothing. Could be something.

Wildest possible explanation; PlatinumGames-developed remake, retaining core elements of the original while improving the gameplay to a standard where it's "wow" rather than "oh" or "meh". Announced at E3 2020.

THIS IS JUST SILLY SPECULATION BASED ON A TRADEMARK. DON'T QUOTE ME.
since they're developing a new gameplay for Vincent, I can see them reusing it in a future DLC episode called Dirge of Cerberus.

perhaps adapting Advent Children in game format is also in the cards.