Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
I'm curious to see if there will be a patch this spring when the game releases on other platforms. Kinda wild how we went for a whole year without a patch practically

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Honestly I don't like it at all his
"the new world of FF7 has only just begun"
And "the story goes on..." of Kitase
This really says to me that this game is not just a remake....

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
It's a selective combination of the FF7 universe into a "definitive" FF7 Remake that canonizes certain aspects and retcons others. I'm okay with this approach but understand why some people don't want that.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Honestly I don't like it at all his
"the new world of FF7 has only just begun"
And "the story goes on..." of Kitase
This really says to me that this game is not just a remake....
I mean, after chapter 18 i feel the idea of this project being on the level of a Remake should be best left disregarded, unfortunately.

Feb 19, 2018
At this point I'm just gonna hope whatever it is they are aiming for is executed well. As long as it isn't a half-assed effort I wanna see where they take this. The compilation has been going off the rails ever since Advent Children and Crisis Core so I can't say I'm surprised or miffed about more craziness being introduced at this point.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
It's seeming SE (or just Nomura) have no faith in us who believe simple storylines can be a wonder itself. Maybe he introduced all the crazy things for Aerith Lives™?

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
At this point I'm just gonna hope whatever it is they are aiming for is executed well. As long as it isn't a half-assed effort I wanna see where they take this. The compilation has been going off the rails ever since Advent Children and Crisis Core so I can't say I'm surprised or miffed about more craziness being introduced at this point.
More than the craziness itself its really the execution that put me off with the direction. It reeks of KH so bad.

And while Advent Children and CC went off the rails, it wasn't at this extent.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
More than the craziness itself its really the execution that put me off with the direction. It reeks of KH so bad.

And while Advent Children and CC went off the rails, it wasn't at this extent.
In fairness, they were trying to work around keeping OG FFVII relevant yet remaking the title and possibly dismantling the awful compilation. From what can be seen from Square is that they really don't dive into completely remaking their work other than FFIII and FFIV. Maybe it might be because they don't want to invalidate the existence and art of previous titles. Also, it seems like Nojima might be the culprit for the weirdness of FFVII Remake based on interviews. I'm pretty sure it was him that wanted include the Watchmen of Fate.

Also, I think that the execution of stories for the Final Fantasy series have been awful since 10. That's 20 years of bad storytelling across many directors.

FFX-2- completely invalidates the story of FFX
FFXII- uninteresting main character, and tell but not show
FFVII Compilation: Retconning, everywhere. Genesis and Deep Ground were an awful idea. Even Zack's death was a terrible change, it went from something personal yet ordinary to a hollywood epic hyper masculine hero's death.
FFXIII- The most uninteresting cast, super whiney, story that is nonsensical: Fighting against fate but still fulfilling it.
FFXIII-2 & LR: Contradicts the main installments themes and ends on a really weird note
FFXV: Tell not show, deliberately cut out story, main cast completely disconnected from the events (Losing your home and parent), DLC extremely disconnected and retconning the main story.
FF Type-0: Tell not show, extremely hollow characters.
KH Series: Nomura produced too many titles in too short of time that created awful retconning, filler, and too many characters.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
In fairness, they were trying to work around keeping OG FFVII relevant yet remaking the title and possibly dismantling the awful compilation. From what can be seen from Square is that they really don't dive into completely remaking their work other than FFIII and FFIV. Maybe it might be because they don't want to invalidate the existence and art of previous titles. Also, it seems like Nojima might be the culprit for the weirdness of FFVII Remake based on interviews. I'm pretty sure it was him that wanted include the Watchmen of Fate.

Also, I think that the execution of stories for the Final Fantasy series have been awful since 10. That's 20 years of bad storytelling across many directors.

FFX-2- completely invalidates the story of FFX
FFXII- uninteresting main character, and tell but not show
FFVII Compilation: Retconning, everywhere. Genesis and Deep Ground were an awful idea. Even Zack's death was a terrible change, it went from something personal yet ordinary to a hollywood epic hyper masculine hero's death.
FFXIII- The most uninteresting cast, super whiney, story that is nonsensical: Fighting against fate but still fulfilling it.
FFXIII-2 & LR: Contradicts the main installments themes and ends on a really weird note
FFXV: Tell not show, deliberately cut out story, main cast completely disconnected from the events (Losing your home and parent), DLC extremely disconnected and retconning the main story.
FF Type-0: Tell not show, extremely hollow characters.
KH Series: Nomura produced too many titles in too short of time that created awful retconning, filler, and too many characters.
I agree that SQ dropped the ball in the story department in multiple occasions. But I dunno, FFVIIR hit harder.

FFXIII-2 for example, was a KH fiesta from the start and promoted that way, while FFVIIR its like: "oh they got it this time", then the ending happens. Its so abrupt and it partially ruins the entire experience. "Surprise", I guess...

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I agree that SQ dropped the ball in the story department in multiple occasions. But I dunno, FFVIIR hit harder.
Same. Not gonna lie, these past few months have progressively made me more sour on this project. Anything I'm mildly curious about for future installments are the party banter interactions and expanded combat tools.

Between the FF7R team's claims of the storyline being "faithfully intact" versus what we have in aspects/is heavily implied for the future, and the possibility of smaller parts being sandwiched with larger parts to fill in gaps, i just can't bring myself to be fully confident in their vision moving forward.

As far as I'm concerned, Nojima, Hamaguchi, and Kitase are on my blacklist at this point.

Last edited: