Final Fantasy XIV - General News and Discussion Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, it definitely has that vibe to it. I hope I can play it more extensively someday, but I'm not enough into MMOs to want to subscribe and not patient enough to revisit the game everytime free gametime opportunities pop up - just not the way I play games... :/
The way I approach it is I only play once per expansion, and treat it as a new release. Play through it in a month and then cancel my subscription. I go through the 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 story (as well as any required patches for between the releases, and then stop.

So for example last week i started my sub again and went through 3.1-4.0. I'm at the start of 4.0 now and will get the story finished by the end of the month. Then stop till the next expansion hits.

The cost of an expansion plus a months subscription is about the price of a new full priced game anyway.

I pretty much play the game as a single player game too. I like it an a multiplayer MMO, but don't have the time. So i treat it as if its just me, but there are other people running around and there's a chat room.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
Very much this. XIV is as accessible as you want it to be. It's very easy to just invest time into casual aspects such as the story and minigames without touching the more involved aspects such as raiding or crafting.

DEMON

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 4, 2018
Eureka is definitely a grind. Played two runs of it, only made it to Lv. 5, and only one new relic item purchased (the base pretty much), this is going to take a while, kind of preferred the gil walls, and even atma to this.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
Eureka is the worst content Square has made for this game. Takes the worst aspect of XI (the mindless grind for exp which Square have patched out of that game entirely) and doubles down on it with a complete lack of anything interesting to do. Completely killed my interest in playing the game again for a long time.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Eureka is the worst content Square has made for this game. Takes the worst aspect of XI (the mindless grind for exp which Square have patched out of that game entirely) and doubles down on it with a complete lack of anything interesting to do. Completely killed my interest in playing the game again for a long time.
yeah i read bad things about it, will only get back when next patch is close then...

DEMON

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 4, 2018
That isn't all they took from FFXI, they also included the down leveling. At Lv. 6 you end up if you die, your progress reverts back to the beginning of the level, then at Lv. 11 if you die, you start to actually down level. Content that will be rewarding is more likely going to be avoided in fear that some players pull high level mobs in (had this issue with a fate, players were pulling in bears and they were one-shotting everyone making the fate reset).

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
That isn't all they took from FFXI, they also included the down leveling. At Lv. 6 you end up if you die, your progress reverts back to the beginning of the level, then at Lv. 11 if you die, you start to actually down level. Content that will be rewarding is more likely going to be avoided in fear that some players pull high level mobs in (had this issue with a fate, players were pulling in bears and they were one-shotting everyone making the fate reset).
There's a reason XI patched this stuff out over time. It's outdated, intentional, time wasting. However it also meshes horribly with how XIV's combat is designed which makes it even worse than it was in XI.

At the very least in XI the trash mobs did actual mechanics that you had to pay attention to (and not just big aoe markers.) In XIV this isn't the case at all (the trash just has a big hp pool whilst doing big damage numbers because reasons) which makes it feel even worse. In all honesty Eureka just highlights the flaws in XIV's core battle system whilst simultaneously being as badly designed and empty as the 1.0. release of the game.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Too many people took a knee jerk reaction to Eureka. It's actually a lot of fun if you play with friends. More and more people are slowly realizing this over time. It's really not that bad... just play together with friends and have a good time. What else would you be doing otherwise? Spamming roulettes...? Not exactly fun content is it? Being able to truly fight against strong mobs in a brand new map and getting to explore a new zone in the beginning of an expansion. Sounds like a lot of fun to me, and it is!

Also, the gear pieces are good for people who are slowly progressing in raid or not doing raid at all. For me, our group hasn't been able to clear Kefka yet. I can get the chest piece with guaranteed 5 slots of materia in just a few days time and that will help for progression going forward.

People who say Eureka is the worst content SE has made played it for a few minutes and never stopped to think how this content was supposed to be played. People only look at it from a small point of view instead of looking at the bigger picture. Luckily, people over time are realizing that it's not as bad as they thought.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Inject Ivalice into my veins, Matsuno!
if you havent already, don't forget to read all the npc dialogues inside the Prima Vista, some neat lore there and they'll most likely be updated for the next step.

i think they merged everything in a clever way.

also no better way to introduce Viera with the final raid.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
The hardest thing I keep going back and forth on..which soundtrack do I enjoy more FFVIII's or FFXV's. *sigh*