Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - A Tour of the North

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
New video from PAX East showing off the new areas of the first ever expansion to MMO Final Fantasy XIV. Lots of new features including a Level cap raise from 50 to 60, a new race, three new jobs, lots of new content... but one of the biggest new features is the flying mounts and the huge new areas that come with that.

Saying I'm hyped is an understatement...

I thought the stream was disappointing, though perhaps I was just expecting too much. It's fantastic at last to have a release date (I don't mind it being just at the dawn of summer, rather than spring. Take all the time you need to polish up, Yoshi-P), but I really wanted further details on how the new jobs will play out, especially the Astrologian. When you're so used to the current WHM and SCH paradigm of healer roles, it's very difficult to envisage how Astrologian would fit in and what it would bring to the table. I was hoping the stream would help answer some of my questions, but I guess it's still too early yet.

Words can't describe how excited I am to visit the new regions, particularly the floating lands. I'm not as keen on the art direction of Ishgard, (more) Coerthas and Dravania. It's a little too on-the-nose Skyrim for me, and I prefer places with more colour and vibrancy.

Also, as a SCH, I am horrified to see our level 60 AF gear. It looks like a mad vampiric aristocrat who enjoys slaying scores of ravens in order to make a coat out of their feathers. At least my secondary, SMN, gets a fetching new design and a err, okay, that's a long horn. Are we sure the grimoire is still the SMN's choice of weapon, or can they just switch to being a melee DPS when they want to and headbutt opponents?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I thought the stream was disappointing, though perhaps I was just expecting too much. It's fantastic at last to have a release date (I don't mind it being just at the dawn of summer, rather than spring. Take all the time you need to polish up, Yoshi-P), but I really wanted further details on how the new jobs will play out, especially the Astrologian. When you're so used to the current WHM and SCH paradigm of healer roles, it's very difficult to envisage how Astrologian would fit in and what it would bring to the table. I was hoping the stream would help answer some of my questions, but I guess it's still too early yet.
Why do you think early access is one day after E3? Obviously they're not going to explain everything just yet, we still have months left to go here, lots more buildup to have. I don't see how you could be disappointed purely on not getting concrete details to something this early. We haven't even got the end of the 2.0 series yet with Patch 2.55, I can't imagine them showing off too much... I think what they showed was completely realistic and everyone pretty much was expected what they showed besides all the new zones that I think was a pretty big surprise, no one expected anything more from the jobs really.

Words can't describe how excited I am to visit the new regions, particularly the floating lands. I'm not as keen on the art direction of Ishgard, (more) Coerthas and Dravania. It's a little too on-the-nose Skyrim for me, and I prefer places with more colour and vibrancy.
The new zones look amazing, I love the idea of being able to fly and land down and meet up with friends waiting for me to do some sort of content like a map or who knows what else. As for the Skyrim reference, I don't really see that, but I do see that it's obviously a colder darker region, but that's to be expected. There still are vibrant places in the new zones though, so that's good, but I like that there's a distinct art style to match the area and the theme of the patch.

Also, as a SCH, I am horrified to see our level 60 AF gear. It looks like a mad vampiric aristocrat who enjoys slaying scores of ravens in order to make a coat out of their feathers.
Obviously this is very opinionated, I actually quite like it, but I'd have to see it in better detail and on a Miqo'te (my race and yours) to get a better idea.

At least my secondary, SMN, gets a fetching new design and a err, okay, that's a long horn. Are we sure the grimoire is still the SMN's choice of weapon, or can they just switch to being a melee DPS when they want to and headbutt opponents?
I know you're just making a joke, but I would like to point out Summoners are known to have that horn.

Why do you think early access is one day after E3? Obviously they're not going to explain everything just yet, we still have months left to go here, lots more buildup to have. I don't see how you could be disappointed purely on not getting concrete details to something this early. We haven't even got the end of the 2.0 series yet with Patch 2.55, I can't imagine them showing off too much... I think what they showed was completely realistic and everyone pretty much was expected what they showed besides all the new zones that I think was a pretty big surprise, no one expected anything more from the jobs really.
And all of that is obvious to you now, because of hindsight. Prior to the release date disclosure, many of us were still hopeful for an actual spring release, so it wasn't too unreasonable for a lot of us to expect a few more concrete details on the new jobs.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
And all of that is obvious to you now, because of hindsight. Prior to the release date disclosure, many of us were still hopeful for an actual spring release, so it wasn't too unreasonable for a lot of us to expect a few more concrete details on the new jobs.
You have a point, but I still wasn't expecting those sorts of details. Square Enix usually don't like to expose how a job plays until it's just about to come out. Even if it came out in May, it's still a bit too early. Hell, we didn't even know all about Scholar after it was announced to be part of Arcanist back at E3 and that was just a few months before launch. I'd expect more information now probably at E3, but otherwise it would have come sometime after Patch 2.55 for sure.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
So excited about this as well. The three new classes all look amazing. I was DRK/THF in FFXI so having Dark Knight back is a welcoming thing, not to mention it's a tank job which I haven't been playing as much since 2.0 (I had WAR since 1.0 and when 2.0 came out I wanted to start with a new job for the storyline so I did WHM, which end up staying as healer main since). This game is better and better each update!

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
everything looks beautiful (dat soken), I'm hyped.

I was playing on PS3 but sadly had to stop, I'll continue when my PS4 arrives to be ready for the expansion.
Don't be sad about it...you'll be surprised at how nice ARR looks on PS4 :)