Final Fantasy XV Focuses on Brotherhood

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Well yeah. It's too early to know for sure really.

It will be disappointing if it's a male only cast. Current group is too monochrome. Needs variety.
There aren't any female playable character, VERY unfortunate...

I made this topic long ago on a different forum: http://www.finalfantasy-fxn.net/boards/showthread.php?13432-Female-playable-characters-Nope!

I surely hope they changed that though. I really want Stella to be playable.

EDIT: Then soon after in a interview believe Nomura said at this point it would be to difficult to add a female player character. The game has been in development so long, they might as well change that mindset and make Stella playable, they already changed her design. >.<

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
If we're discussing character design I want to share my unpopular opinion:
The characters looked better before redesign. The original designs were relatively simple and cool. Noctis' party looked a bit like a gang or something.

Now with all the skulls, studs and stupid patterns on their clothes Noctis&co look like a group of some angsty teenagers.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Character designs are neither here nor there for me personally. So long as they have depth and believable development along the course of the story, my interest will be held.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
I see a lot of complaints about Prompto's new design, but I actually prefer it entirely over his old model. I feel like he was "unfinished" too, as was Stella.

I suppose Gladiolus' rougher image from Versus is closer to what I'd want him to look, as opposed to the clean-shaven rugged appearance he's been given now.

Noctis and Ignis have only been polished properly. I find it kind of funny how they shifted the chauffeur's VA over to Cor.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I also think that the new designs are overall better, the older looked exactly what they were: placeholders. They were too bland, although I prefer that to abominations like FF X. I actually think this is one of the FF I like the most when it comes to art, much more grounded (everything, from clothes to cities, feel cohesive and coherent within this particular universe, which is something I think only Ivalice had).

And the colour thing... yeah, I'd like more variety (for example, Noctis' shirt could be a different colour rather than such a dark one, there is no contrast), but it suits the "brotherhood" theme of the game. I'm very excited about the gang's relationships, I like a good story with camaraderie and banter between friends (FF IX was great in that regard: the Zidane/Steiner/Vivi trio, the Tantalus Band...)

And now that we're at it, there are other several things I don't particulary like about the main characters: Noctis and Prompto's hairstyles, Noctis' awful trousers, Gladiolus' bare chest...

But apart from that, they're alright. And damn, Ignis look slick as fuck and Cor is probably my favorite FF design. If only characters like him and Basch could be the MC (damn suits and damn demographics).

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
There aren't any female playable character, VERY unfortunate...

I made this topic long ago on a different forum: http://www.finalfantasy-fxn.net/boards/showthread.php?13432-Female-playable-characters-Nope!

I surely hope they changed that though. I really want Stella to be playable.

EDIT: Then soon after in a interview believe Nomura said at this point it would be to difficult to add a female player character. The game has been in development so long, they might as well change that mindset and make Stella playable, they already changed her design. >.<
Well... There is always FFXV-2, which will come out on PS6 I hear.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Well... There is always FFXV-2, which will come out on PS6 I hear.
I think you may have heard wrong??? I heard Final Fantasy XV will be re-branded as FFXVI, it will be announced for PS5. Another Final Fantasy XV will take it's place and be released for PS4 instead, reliable sources tells me Lightning is to be the main protagonist, marking this the first time in history a same protagonist has been used in two main titles! Final Fantasy XVI-2 will be announced for PS6, but development will then be switched to PS7 to take advantage of the new systems capabilities. "Please be excited!" :)

Being more serious though, I would really like that somehow, Stella be added as a player character along with other females in Final Fantasy XV.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I think you may have heard wrong??? I heard Final Fantasy XV will be re-branded as FFXVI, it will be announced for PS5. Another Final Fantasy XV will take it's place and be released for PS4 instead, reliable sources tells me Lightning is to be the main protagonist, marking this the first time in history a same protagonist has been used in two main titles! Final Fantasy XVI-2 will be announced for PS6, but development will then be switched to PS7 to take advantage of the new systems capabilities. "Please be excited!" :)
Sure... Stick that dagger into my heart and twist nice and slowly. :(

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
And now that we're at it, there are other several things I don't particulary like about the main characters: Noctis and Prompto's hairstyles, Noctis' awful trousers, Gladiolus' bare chest...
How can you not like those hairstyles? This is FINAL FANTASY, remember? You know, with the ridiculous hair! I don't see any problem with Noct's pants honestly, not sure what you mean by that. As for Gladiolus' bare chest... you don't like looking at half naked men?

Honestly, I enjoy the designs, the dark clothing/designs on the main cast of characters is completely intentional; a more stylized version of the classic business suit mafia/yakuza that the rest of the kingdom wears.

I find it kind of funny how they shifted the chauffeur's VA over to Cor.
I think that is Cor, as he is supposed to watch over Noct and them, the design is similar, but I'm not entirely sure. I believe that will be changed to be Cor if it isn't supposed to be him already anyways, not a VA change.

There aren't any female playable character, VERY unfortunate... I surely hope they changed that though. I really want Stella to be playable. The game has been in development so long, they might as well change that mindset and make Stella playable, they already changed her design. >.<
I don't think that's how it works... Making Stella playable means having to change the entire way that the story works... Interviews have stated that the game hasn't changed at all going from Versus XIII to XV, I don't expect this change to be made either. I can understand that people want to play STELLA, but playing a female character in general I don't understand. For the sake of diversity alone? As well with that forum, people were mentioning playing characters that were black or other races... why does it matter? Someone even pointed out that women should "stand up for their rights"... The right to be playable in video games? I don't understand... I just want what the creator intended. Would I like to play as a female character? Yes, of course, but only if the story permits it.

Doesn't have to be, could be anyone. Why not let a Native American have a shot.
Quoted from that forum post. This makes no sense to me... Native Americans live in... America... they don't exist in this game's universe... What is the reason to have a Native American character? I don't see the need to shovel certain races or ANYONE for that matter into a game for the sake of surface equality. That includes adding more white male characters as well just because you want a character with red hair or something like that so gingers don't get offended.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying! I'm very much looking forward to whatever this game has to offer, the more characters the better in my opinion, having a diverse cast allows for greater interaction between characters, but at the same time must be done in a way that feels right and makes sense. I'm very much looking forward to learning more about ALL the characters, male and female, whatever race/color they are, especially the black haired girl, she has the same birthmark as me below her lips (only on the opposite side of her face) :D

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I don't think that's how it works... Making Stella playable means having to change the entire way that the story works... Interviews have stated that the game hasn't changed at all going from Versus XIII to XV, I don't expect this change to be made either. I can understand that people want to play STELLA, but playing a female character in general I don't understand. For the sake of diversity alone? As well with that forum, people were mentioning playing characters that were black or other races... why does it matter? Someone even pointed out that women should "stand up for their rights"... The right to be playable in video games? I don't understand... I just want what the creator intended. Would I like to play as a female character? Yes, of course, but only if the story permits it.

Quoted from that forum post. This makes no sense to me... Native Americans live in... America... they don't exist in this game's universe... What is the reason to have a Native American character? I don't see the need to shovel certain races or ANYONE for that matter into a game for the sake of surface equality. That includes adding more white male characters as well just because you want a character with red hair or something like that so gingers don't get offended.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying! I'm very much looking forward to whatever this game has to offer, the more characters the better in my opinion, having a diverse cast allows for greater interaction between characters, but at the same time must be done in a way that feels right and makes sense. I'm very much looking forward to learning more about ALL the characters, male and female, whatever race/color they are, especially the black haired girl, she has the same birthmark as me below her lips (only on the opposite side of her face) :D
Or perhaps people want more variety or options in the video games they play to choose from? One perspective to look at is is, I wouldn't enjoy a game if the music were very similar in each track as much as I would if it was more varied (I love listening to battle themes, then can enjoy sad tunes at another moment). I find it boring if a game just basically create carbon copies of it's towns, and find it hard to get excited about that. If the cast is boring and identical it doesn't offer much variety or interaction. I'm not dissing the cast of Final Fantasy XV, as I very much like them but they all look very similar, at least in their old designs some of the characters had a touch of white clothing.

I would honestly love to see some more variety as it add more options (keep in mind that doesn't mean gameplay options but more 'aesthetically'). I would like to see more options in characters to play as, female, black, kids, etc. Any would have been nice.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand the thought of the person saying give a Native American "a shot". I'm not sure what my mindset was back then, but now I would tell that person "We don't need to do a role call for all races that exist on the planet, we just need the cast and characters to be more diverse regardless their race." I typically say add Black characters just because I would honestly love to see darker skin tomes in player characters....

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Don't put XV on the same boat as The Last Guardian.
XV still has a chance!

You too? :/

Y'all are sick minded! :p
This the chance to believe!
TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY!
Okay, okay...

I believe, FFXV will be shown at TGS...

TO be announced as FFXVI with a PS5 release!!! :p

Just joking with you. It might b there and it might not? Only in a matter of days we will find out. :)

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
In terms of character designs. They all look fine. Before the redesign, I felt they look 'unfinished' but now after seeing them again in the E3 2013 trailer and posters, they look better than ever. It's just a matter of opinion to be honest, so there is no harm to hating it at all.
I agree that the old desings looked a bit unfinished and I'm not hating the new ones. I'm just not entirely fond of the direction they took. The only one I actually dislike is Prompto. I also think Noctis looked cooler in a coat and Gladiolus being bare-chested seems like cheap fanservice.

But I won't even pay attention to those designs if the characters are interesting and well developed story-wise (that is if FFXV ever gets released).

I also think that the new designs are overall better, the older looked exactly what they were: placeholders. They were too bland, although I prefer that to abominations like FF X.
Lulu's dress is probably the best thing that ever came out of Final Fantasy.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Or perhaps people want more variety or options in the video games they play to choose from? One perspective to look at is is, I wouldn't enjoy a game if the music were very similar in each track as much as I would if it was more varied (I love listening to battle themes, then can enjoy sad tunes at another moment). I find it boring if a game just basically create carbon copies of it's towns, and find it hard to get excited about that. If the cast is boring and identical it doesn't offer much variety or interaction. I'm not dissing the cast of Final Fantasy XV, as I very much like them but they all look very similar, at least in their old designs some of the characters had a touch of white clothing.

I would honestly love to see some more variety as it add more options (keep in mind that doesn't mean gameplay options but more 'aesthetically'). I would like to see more options in characters to play as, female, black, kids, etc. Any would have been nice.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand the thought of the person saying give a Native American "a shot". I'm not sure what my mindset was back then, but now I would tell that person "We don't need to do a role call for all races that exist on the planet, we just need the cast and characters to be more diverse regardless their race." I typically say add Black characters just because I would honestly love to see darker skin tomes in player characters....
I know what you mean, I agree what having a diverse cast is nice. I just think that the cast we have fits the game, and I think you will see that the main cast is more diverse than people are imagining them to be at this point.

I agree with you though, so sorry for any misunderstanding!

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I know what you mean, I agree what having a diverse cast is nice. I just think that the cast we have fits the game, and I think you will see that the main cast is more diverse than people are imagining them to be at this point.

I agree with you though, so sorry for any misunderstanding!
It's alright, I'm glad you can agree with how I feel on the matter!

As I mention earlier I do like the main cast, but I still yearn for more variety in the choices in who we get to play as. Luckily each Final fantasy introduces a new cast of characters. :)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It's alright, I'm glad you can agree with how I feel on the matter!

As I mention earlier I do like the main cast, but I still yearn for more variety in the choices in who we get to play as. Luckily each Final fantasy introduces a new cast of characters. :)
Yes! I'm looking forward to a new FF game in the future hopefully in likeness to XII to some degree. Having lots of different races and all that, plus the world was just nice. Anyways, I'll try not to deviate from the topic too much...

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It's funny you should mention races considering all we've seen (other than the monsters) so far are only humans in Final Fantasy XV based on trailers and screenshots.

It would be nice to see a variety, but I'm not worried that much.
I don't think it fits this game, something to look forward to in FFXVI... right guys...?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
How can you not like those hairstyles? This is FINAL FANTASY, remember? You know, with the ridiculous hair! I don't see any problem with Noct's pants honestly, not sure what you mean by that. As for Gladiolus' bare chest... you don't like looking at half naked men?
Well, Prompto's hair is alright and suits him, I guess, but I don't know, Noctis' is very silly and over the top, although yeah... this is a trademark of the brand, so I'm not surprised lol. At least they really REALLY improved his design over the years. The 2006 CG model was atrocious, I didn't like it even when I was 13 that year, and I was a huge Naruto fan.

About the trousers... maybe it's that I'm not too fond of capri pants, depiste owning a few of them, and if those were full trousers it would be much better, since the texture, color... are pretty good. And no, I'm not really into looking at half naked men :p

But I'm nitpicking, sure, I like them all (my favourite casts in term of design are those from VI, IX (these two are also my favourite casts, period) and XII). And the designs of the rest of characters are just great. I don't know how much we owe Roberto Ferrari, but they are absolutely amazing (Himefu...:oops:)

Now, I know who I'm going to mainly use as the controllable character (Cor, I hope he doesn't die soon in the story lol).
Lulu's dress is probably the best thing that ever came out of Final Fantasy.
I guess you're joking, no? I mean, her design is really good, but the belt dress is... lol. Now, I said I hated X's characters design, but there are quite a few I loved, including the guy from your avatar. I hate sequels for numbered FFs, but X-2 should have been about his first pilgrimage.

Last edited:

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
Source?
We don't know much of Noctis' relationship with his father when he grows up, so it's a bold statement to say its the same.
The relationship between father and son is a huge focus in Final Fantasy XV, especially when it is obviously a character driven story. Nomura himself admitted this --------->
  • Explanation of a fathers feelings during a conversation scene in response to Regarding events, Nomura said he can't say too much without providing spoilers. He's checking such things as:
... is it that difficult to see in the trailers? Noctis running up to his dad through a field at dusk, which is playable by the way or was when the game was titled Final Fantasy VS 13, and another child Noc eating supper with Regis. There are much more of such scenes the audience has not seen. To me, don't know about you, but they look down to earth and retain a sense of reliability. What's monochromatic about that?

I have not gone off topic when SuirrelEmperor believes each character is monochromatic. I am trying to understand why when their character sheets, explanations to the black/white clothing some wear (yes not so colorful compared to past characters), and evidence of both in the trailers are out. I also noted the clothing is done by a man who started Noc's suit not on a computer but with fabric and needles. If you don't favor his designs then you won't enjoy Final Fantasy XV's aesthetics. The tone of Final Fantasy XV is tragic -------> I would say misery and worry play a huge part in the story and when the plot was being first considered I spoke with Mr. Kitase and we decided to take an even more “sad’ direction for the story. Nomura further described this same tone contains a graphic graphic view of human emotion and behavior. What's monochromatic about building strong personality characters who are driven by understandable, yet conflicted motives?

"I think Squirrel Emperor just meant to say they were all male and wore black. I don't think that really long post was necessary lol."

Yes the main cast contains several males because Nomura seeks out to tell the story of a group of closely bounded BOY friends roaming the world like when he was in his prime during schooling. Girls have friends they call girlfriends. Males won't call their best male friends boyfriends (oh that's gay!). The protagonist are just the male version of what girlfriend means to girls, a trustworthy female NONE romantic companion... Don't forget we saw a small portion of a much larger game, so don't rule out other females from existence! I also posted Nomura does not favor romance. Here it is again. Since he prefers depicting friendships over love affairs, the former will play an important role in the game's story. The burden resting on the shoulders of the protagonist and his friends might be very heavy, but nonetheless Nomura also aims to realistically show the positive aspect of their friendship, too.

The reason everyone except Prompto wears black relates to the alliance quote and my post about Rule of Symbolism -----> (ROS's definition) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfSymbolism. I'm just trying to understand why these points are bad for a director who is telling a grey, tragic, and edgy story. Is it because past Final Fantasies have been very colorful upbeat? Just give me a good reason to understand why these characters look bland. I want to understand