Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I can't wait to see that glorious 20,000-polygon hair in action.

They also confirmed 1080p and 30fps:
First off, the game’s resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p), with a 30fps frame rate. There are a lot of PS3 and Xbox 360 titles that had their output upscaled from the original 1280×720 to 1920×1080, but it seems that many next-gen titles like FFXV have original output at 1080p.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
With the two upcoming ATRs on both the 1st and 5th, neither of these will showcase the games with controls as Tabata mentioned previously.

VSXIII on Twitter translated the article here.
You can view his Tweets here and here.
Note: the upcoming ATR broadcast (2/5) will NOT feature the XV demo tutorial. SE will, however, release the final JP Type-0 HD trailer.
So please do not get mad at SE and ask why Tabata never explained XV's controls in the broadcasts on 2/1 or 2/5.
He does however restate what we already know that we WILL be getting the game controls sometime in February.
As promised at Jump Festa, Tabata will explain 'game controls' in a later ATR broadcast during the middle of February.
We'll have to wait and see what these two ATRs will show, but just note that they won't be showing game controls, we'll have to wait just a few more weeks for that.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
All I can say is... WOW

One thing you will notice is "xpac" which is a Taiwanese game development studio that is helping to contribute with Final Fantasy XV.
@VSXIII (Cadet) on Twitter says
An alternate video can be seen here, the quality is reduced, however you can view it from a straight on angle.

Again... WOW!

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Tabata was in a live stream for Type-0 and mentions XV, the ever lovely @VSXIII (Cadet) Tweets:
Also, something interesting...
Tabata will be able to say more about XV* from now on.
*Cadet meant to say XV but says Episode Duscae in the Tweet

We already knew about the time, but it's nice again for a confirmation on this. The 2 hours is a standard clear time, but to do everything it would take 4 hours. Obviously, we'll be able to play for as long as we want, but that's a rough estimate for how long it will take for us to complete it... Put that into perspective, modern games these days like FPS take about 6-8 hours to complete or less depending on how fast you are... this DEMO will take 4 hours to do everything in it. Pretty crazy how much content is in such a small package.

We still have one ATR on the 5th remember! The Type-0 final trailer needs to be released, and perhaps we'll get this footage shown to us.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
How many people are invovled?

- 300ish SE employees
- Other companies like XPEC, could bring that number to roughly 400-500 people working on this game.
Not sure, but this isn't anything new for companies to outsource aspects of the game to other people.

I hope it doesn't turn out like Resident Evil 6. Too many employees working on the game.
The root of the problem for the RE series has nothing to do with employees. The reason that RE4 and on are bad games is because of their direction. RE used to be a survival game and it just turned into a TPS with zombies or some other viral outbreak. It lost sight of what made it a fun series to play, and has since regressed from this and they have yet to get back on track.

Having these companies outsourced for various works is again not at all uncommon. I read a few concerns on Twitter that people are worrying about companies being involved as if the direction would somehow be altered. To people who share this sentiment... understand that they aren't just commissioned to do whatever they want with the game. Tabata is the director for a reason, the team(s) working with SE won't be having free reign over what they put into the game. SE has been known to outsource things like this in the past, nothing to worry about or to be concerned over, if anything it's a good thing. It shows that they are well under way into production.

As you may have noticed, Type-0 and FFXV have been a few places in the world and their culture or people have been included in one way or another. This serves as promotion for the game in many aspects, and it's likely that when SE goes to a specific region for FFXV they will be involved in some way.

Most likely xpec reached out to SE after they mentioned what sort of work they needed (job listings etc) and the fact that they are in the stages of mass content production, hence why xpec worked on that station. These companies being outsources will be providing mainly assets that are far less demanding for the SE staff themselves to work on. While I can't tell you the workflow, and what sort of direction the staff is given, it's likely they are given concepts and ideas to work with to create assets like this for the game.

Anyways, this isn't exactly news, but I figured I'd give you my take on this. It's somewhat related to recent news with xpec's involvement, so I hope you understand.

Nov 17, 2014
Anyways, this isn't exactly news, but I figured I'd give you my take on this. It's somewhat related to recent news with xpec's involvement, so I hope you understand.
Very thorough.
There's one thing that I want to blurt out though. Like Resident Evil, when they changed their focus from survival horror to action horror, Final Fantasy also had a change, thought this'll be the first time for the series. The turn-based to hack-and-slash shift (no offense Square Enix) is what I'm saying. If FFXV might act like the RE4 of the RE series, I just hope that this game's success (assuming it would) wouldn't shun them from the old tradition and into the new tradition.
But I would assume that the next iteration would feature back the turn-based battle system. But if their direction is into the action RPG, should we be worried?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Very thorough.
There's one thing that I want to blurt out though. Like Resident Evil, when they changed their focus from survival horror to action horror, Final Fantasy also had a change, thought this'll be the first time for the series. The turn-based to hack-and-slash shift (no offense Square Enix) is what I'm saying. If FFXV might act like the RE4 of the RE series, I just hope that this game's success (assuming it would) wouldn't shun them from the old tradition and into the new tradition.
But I would assume that the next iteration would feature back the turn-based battle system. But if their direction is into the action RPG, should we be worried?
I definitely see what you're saying here. With FF it's a bit different I think. FFXV's battle system asks the question is it time for a change? I think the answer is yes, but they've assured us that not every game will be like this and that the battle system is designed around the style of game. The fundamental properties of FF are still here, just with different combat system. While, with RE, the entire nature of the game and how you play changed.

Again though, I understand what you're saying definitely.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Lets be fair here, compare (numbered FF) the numbers of FF games that use turnbase(variations included) and the number of FF games that dont use it:

Turn base: FF1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13
Non-turnbase: FF11,14,15

And if we include other FF games, the comparison is more one sided in favor to the turnbase group. The most fair thing would be this:
1.wait until we an equal number of non turnbase games and then make the shift back to turnbase.
2.if don't like option nº1,wait until the 10th consecutive non turnbase FF
3.if don't like option nº2, at least wait until the 6th consecutive(going from FF11 to FF18, even though 11 and 14 are separate but you get my idea, i think) and then make the shift.
4.if you don't like option nº3 well hope SE to switch back and forward between the 2 types every 1 FF game.

Personally i'd like SE to stick to the non turnbase for ,at the very least, a while(option nº3); cause turnbase is overglorify and non turnbase over demonify

Nov 17, 2014
Lets be fair here, compare (numbered FF) the numbers of FF games that use turnbase(variations included) and the number of FF games that dont use it:

Turn base: FF1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13
Non-turnbase: FF11,14,15
So, FF15 is the 1st single-player to be non-turn-based. Sure, FFs 11 & 14 is counted as non-turn-based, but it's also counted as MMORPGs.

And if we include other FF games, the comparison is more one sided in favor to the turnbase group. The most fair thing would be this:
1.wait until we an equal number of non turnbase games and then make the shift back to turnbase.
2.if don't like option nº1,wait until the 10th consecutive non turnbase FF
3.if don't like option nº2, at least wait until the 6th consecutive(going from FF11 to FF18, even though 11 and 14 are separate but you get my idea, i think) and then make the shift.
4.if you don't like option nº3 well hope SE to switch back and forward between the 2 types every 1 FF game.
Personally, I don't mind what options I choose. And I also won't mind what plans Square Enix has for their baby. I appreciate even just the slightest existence of a sequel. The main FF series is experiencing the crawling stage. I just hope that the walking stage, much less the running stage

Personally i'd like SE to stick to the non turnbase for ,at the very least, a while(option nº3); cause turnbase is overglorify and non turnbase over demonify
If you want my opinion, I'd say let them do what they want. I'm not really one to pick sides. Even if it's not my favorite, that doesn't mean I hate it. And I know not all people are the same like me, so there's bound to hate it. Just letting out my thoughts, dude.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
Not sure, but this isn't anything new for companies to outsource aspects of the game to other people.
Yeah, I know it's not nothing new for companies, but it seems to be new for SE since al ot of what they do, they do in-house.

With this in mind, do you think this boosts the chances of FFXV to come out late 2015-early 2016? More people= More Resources More Resources=Faster Release.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
There is nothing to worry about. Tabata mention in an interview that he is sure another director will use ATB in Final Fantasy again, he considered it for FFXV but decided not to for the style of which FFXV is. That actually have me quite excited! We could be getting Action RPG and Tradition Turn Based RPG's. I love both types, I just get disappointed when I see people bash one over the other, especially turn based since it's basically what founded JRPG's.