Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

wmlk

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 5, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you have to like button prompts. It's totally valid to not like them. I'm saying you've seen them for yourself already. What did he add to that discussion? You can already see for yourself whether that's taking up too much screen or is too way or whatever. I still contend that that preview didn't gain much attention because it doesn't bring up any interesting points. People LOVE to hate this game. If it brought up anything interesting, it'd be all over GAF at least.
The guy who wrote this came in with the perspective of playing the game for the first time. I've followed this game's release for a long time now, so yes, I already have an opinion on button prompts and my general dislike of how it looks now compared to Duscae.

My main takeaway is that you can't turn this off. I don't think I was the only one thinking that you could turn it off, especially since enemies flash to indicate that they're going to deliver these types of attacks anyway (well, except for just a few of them for some reason).

I can probably give credit to the previewer about button promps showing for guarding and in "finishing moves". What I find questionable is the "holding button" issue, as combo attacks work both with tapping and holding, probably the tutorial is to blame as at no point in the demos the tutorial tells to the player that it´s possible (from I what I could see from youtube videos of the demo), holding or tapping makes no difference in combo flow, with both mechaniques the combo will flow/stop at the point where you stop tapping/holding and will begin again once you start tapping/holding the action button again.
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me so I didn't quote it in my post. It again comes down to some people preferring tapping instead of holding I think, when functionally they actually do the same thing if you're going to button mash anyway.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
My main takeaway is that you can't turn this off. I don't think I was the only one thinking that you could turn it off, especially since enemies flash to indicate that they're going to deliver these types of attacks anyway (well, except for just a few of them for some reason).
There´s an option to turn off the game´s HUD, I don´t reember if they clarified if this turns off everything or selected elements of the HUD. (see botton of the pic)

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
The guy who wrote this came in with the perspective of playing the game for the first time. I've followed this game's release for a long time now, so yes, I already have an opinion on button prompts and my general dislike of how it looks now compared to Duscae.

My main takeaway is that you can't turn this off. I don't think I was the only one thinking that you could turn it off, especially since enemies flash to indicate that they're going to deliver these types of attacks anyway (well, not all of them for some reason).
Ok, I get what you're getting at. I still think it's a weak take overall, but I wasn't thinking about people that haven't been following. (Edit: side point here, though, that I still wouldn't recommend this article to someone that is new to the game, either, as it really laser-focuses on this one issue, with a side of the camera bit, without really actually saying anything about the game at all)

I'll mention here that I'm not a fan of the button prompts compared to the ED system that was a little less intrusive and more interesting, as they were more of a directional warning so you'd think to look in that direction and it'd give you a chance to react to the actual move. But, I've come around on it for two reasons:

First, thank god they do appear to be a LOT faster than the one example in the platinum demo. That one legitimately had me worried. But, watching the recent gameplay out there, it gives you a relatively short period of time to react. It's looks a lot more reactive than in PD, where you basically have time to look at the controller and find the square button, look back up and hit it before you're too late.

And second, because it's a Final Fantasy game and not a Dark Souls game. And I'm sure you've heard this one before, but it really is important. Final Fantasy games aren't meant to be punishing. And they do tend to fill in a role of a more passive gameplay experience. A casual player should be able to hit most of the parries. It's not supposed to be especially difficult. Just quick enough to keep you awake.

Now, all that said, I am 100% with you in that I hope there's a way to disable the prompt. I'm not convinced that it definitely won't be there, either. They did say the UI would be pretty customizable. My fingers are still crossed because I'd like to have the option to have to react to the actual enemies, too.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Guess that article turned into a valid topic of discussion afterall!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74429963#3

NoctisPendragon on the 'FAQs says FOTMhero (who was one of the first to play and report about the final build) confirmed that you CAN turn off the prompts. This could be good news for everyone.

Edit: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/fotmhero/forums/message/841999205

You'll need to translate it, but looks google translate-proof and clear that he's talking about those prompts. That's awesome.

Edit: Hm. I thought that was interesting. Did everyone know this already? because no one on the internet seemed to care, lol.

Last edited:

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Hm....I'm still thinking what voices I will play.
The english sounds overall pretty good, but I'm not sure about the german one, since I like hearing my native language.
Perhaps it will be even better?^^
Why don't make Square Enix a video how the different languages sounds like?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Tbh idk how they can get the camera to work perfectly well in tight spaces when plenty of other action games faced similar issues.

Even with an auto camera function they'd still have to worry about warp points whenever the camera would decide to shift focus without your input away from them when facing an enemy in front of you.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Tbh idk how they can get the camera to work perfectly well in tight spaces when plenty of other action games faced similar issues.

Even with an auto camera function they'd still have to worry about warp points whenever the camera would decide to shift focus without your input away from them when facing an enemy in front of you.
I think people are still mostly reacting to things like the gamescom footage where the indoor camera was truly attrocious. If you look at the Eurogamer gameplay, when they go back into the mines, it's still a little bit wonky, but WAY better than it was before. It's not the epitome of amazing camera work, but it's decent enough that I don't think it'd have caused much talk if that's how it always was.

If the end game camera is like it is in the Eurogamer footage, I'll be happy. And there's still every chance they're still refining it, too.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I kinda thought that the camera in mines from Eurogamer footage was down to player actually knowing how to play the game properly by locking-on more.

But upon comparing it to the old build from the TGS stream, even with the player locking on in the mines, Eurogamer's take on it still looked much better IMO for some reason.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I kinda thought that the camera in mines from Eurogamer footage was down to player actually knowing how to play the game properly by locking-on more.

But upon comparing it to the old build from the TGS stream, even with the player locking on in the mines, Eurogamer's take on it still looked much better IMO for some reason.
It was just smoother, IMO.

Though, if it was me designing it, I'll let the camera zoom out beyond the walls of where they are and make it just look like a cutout. It'd have the bonus effect of looking like some of the prerendered backgrounds in the PS1 era. But, then again, maybe they had planned to stabilize the camera towards the end all along and they just wanted it to add to the feeling of claustrophobia or something.

Sep 1, 2016
i like the english cast but i think i'll stick with the jap voices for the first clear (Darin de Paul tho).
That was enough to tip the scales firmly in favor of English for me.
Yeah, I think Darin de Paul sounds so much more flamboyant (and sinister) than his JP counterpart and I really like what we've heard so far. Same with Luna and although we've heard only a few lines from the EN and JP actresses, I'd far rather hear more of Amy Shiels - I can't deal with her squeaky, child-like sounding JP counterpart.
I actually like the JP actors for the four main guys, but for me, Ardyn and Luna wins it for the English voices.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I wonder if good ol' tag team Biggs and Wedge will make appearance in the game. Wouldn't mind them being some underlings of Niflehiem similar to their role in FFVIII :D
Of all the FF tropes and easter eggs there are this one hadn't even crossed my mind in regards to FF XV; not once!

Yeah, I can totally see them (if they're in) being some (comedic?) Niflheim underlings. I'd like something different, though, as they already were enemy soldiers in both VI and VIII.

Also, this week we're having some previews and, maybe, videos, right? Can't wait. If they're releasing preview copies, maybe they're bigger or different than the ones in the latest shows.

Although it could very well be the same thing for media people that couldn't attend those events.