Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
well vs13 gameplay/battlesystem is is to different from ff15 and the story is changed too, and who knows what changes to..places etc.. so yes its like duke nukem forever.
Literally EVERYTHING that we saw until TGS of last year was prerendered tech demo footage with fake menus shopped over them. The Versus XIII battles were never going to actually look like that.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
Can anyone rip the 2.0 footage from the Japanese stream? It was much more battle-oriented and showed the dodge-roll and new MP-less dodging mechanic.

Starts at 58:20

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I'm sad they killed Stella. I'm sad they removed the party scene. I'm sad for those awesome Versus XIII scenes that may end up being removed. But well. Change is practically confirmed even when some people didn't want to believe it. Is it for the better? Is it for the worse? Who knows. We don't have many details of Versus XIII's story and now we know it's not the same. Oh well. Only time will tell.

It seems Final Fantasy Versus XIII was just a dream after all.

EDIT: Just found out that the Dissidia writer is in, replacing Nojima. And that Jun Akiyama is out. Now I can really say that is bad news.

Last edited:

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
If Stella didn't point that sword at Noctis that one time, in that one trailer from like 8 years ago, I doubt people would even care lol.

It was a bit of a bummer looking at some changes, but Tabata said it best: "Even though it's based on Versus XIII's narrative, FFXV is a different game." It's important to keep that in mind.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Also, sad about XV not being shown at E3. But whatever. I was already prepared for Gamescom. Unless they now decide the game won't be shown at all at Gamescom...

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
It's understandable why Tabata made the changes he did. Quite unfortunate, however. A lot of Nomura's vision is being scrapped entirely. For example, his wanting to make Final Fantasy XV a huge epic with multiple sequels. Perhaps Square-Enix was opposed because it was too risky? Or maybe Tabata was wanting a more streamlined final product? There's so much going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
It's understandable why Tabata made the changes he did. Quite unfortunate, however. A lot of Nomura's vision is being scrapped entirely. For example, his wanting to make Final Fantasy XV a huge epic with multiple sequels. Perhaps Square-Enix was opposed because it was too risky? Or maybe Tabata was wanting a more streamlined final product? There's so much going on behind the scenes we don't know about.
It's because Tabata as director, received a bit of guidance from Sakaguchi (who hates sequels). He wants FFXV to be a "complete" experience, meaning that the game starts/ends when it starts/ends. The narrative re-writes were apparently a way to allow the FFXV team to circumvent all the potential sequels, but stay true to Nojima's narrative all in one game.

Daemeax

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 4, 2015
Slovakia
Well, those are some sad news. I do understand that Versus was just concept, however they showed it too early and made it feel like it was not. After Tabata replaced Nomura we were told, as far as I can recall (but I may be wrong), that there won't be a lot of changes and that the story will remain as it was in Versus. First the cut off party switching, which was big change and now they cut off Stella, because they "found it increasingly difficult to make sense of Stella’s character and role within FFXV", which means that they changed story, too.

Personaly I liked Stella more, she looked like strong female character, that I enjoy so much. Luna, on the other hand, looks so far as her opposite.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to FF XV, although I'm not as excited as I was and I feel little dissapointed. And I know that me complaining won't change a thing, but I felt a need to express my opinion somewhere.:D

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Honestly, I'm rather indifferent to Nojima leaving FFXV because I don't trust in his writing abilities. He worked on some great stories like VII and X, but on the other hand he was scenario writer for Advent Children, X-2 and author of that novella. But him being replaced by Dissidia writer, of all people, worries me.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
It's because Tabata as director, received a bit of guidance from Sakaguchi (who hates sequels). He wants FFXV to be a "complete" experience, meaning that the game starts/ends when it starts/ends. The narrative re-writes were apparently a way to allow the FFXV team to circumvent all the potential sequels, but stay true to Nojima's narrative all in one game.
Then personally that is a good thing. I am sure they will have some sort of way to do a sequel. But they are playing it safe. After all the time that this game has been in development for quite awhile. So people are going to really be in one of three groups. Those that dont trust this game because of its development cycle (Going into the game with the preconceived notion that it will be a sucky game). Those that are on the fence and just want to try it out, and those people who love the game already and can't wait for it. So in a way them slimming down the aim of this game can at least cater to a few of these groups and hopefully in the long run create a rather successful game.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
but on the other hand he was scenario writer for Advent Children, X-2 and author of that novella.
Sequels (and unnecessary ones, at that), other than being mostly cash-grabs, and overall just fanservice, have a propensity to be very lackluster, especially when following a story that ended well enough. FFVII and FFX being those kinds of stories, it's very difficult to follow-up finished stories like those without retcons and the like to push the sequel(s) forward.

I think Nojima is a fine writer on his own terms. However, I think most writers would have struggled to produce "great" content in this regard.

Then personally that is a good thing. I am sure they will have some sort of way to do a sequel. But they are playing it safe. After all the time that this game has been in development for quite awhile. So people are going to really be in one of three groups. Those that dont trust this game because of its development cycle (Going into the game with the preconceived notion that it will be a sucky game). Those that are on the fence and just want to try it out, and those people who love the game already and can't wait for it. So in a way them slimming down the aim of this game can at least cater to a few of these groups and hopefully in the long run create a rather successful game.
Agreed, I'm all for them playing it safe, the shift in end-goal should only help the team.
and I feel like if anything, the closest we'd get to a "sequel" would be DLC additives to the full-game. Similar to what we'll see in Duscae 2.0 (but story content rather than just gameplay content). It's a reach, but it seems possible considering how Tabata has been trying to sell the game's development.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Nomura's vision couldn't drive a game to production. There were multiple people on the XV that had to think long and hard about these decisions, but everyone is quick to blame Tabata for the events that led to where XV is today and the changes they had to make to the story. If those three things are the main core changes they needed to make to the story, then I'm relieved because they were the three things I really didn't care about either way in terms of Versus.

I know everyone "loved" Stella and all, but honestly Stella was a big nobody and we knew next to nothing about her. I don't grow attached to a character in a developing game that I know nothing about.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
This is a common misunderstanding. Saori Itamuro was the RPG planner for Dissidia, not writer. Nothing else is credited to her apart from this.
To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes things any better. It means she doesn't have much experience with writing. But who knows? Maybe she's actually good for all we know.

Stella was a big nobody
Luna's Nobody.

Sorry, I had to

May 26, 2014
"Versus XIII" was just a concept for a game
all we seen of Versus XIII was a concept
Literally EVERYTHING that we saw until TGS of last year was prerendered tech demo footage with fake menus shopped over them.
Yes, exactly. There is hardly any use comparing XV to Versus. We know next to nothing about Versus and we most likely never will. We wouldn't have even known about the changes announced today (nor the character switching, nor any of the other "changes") had SE actually announced this game properly instead of getting in over their heads (as usual).

I'm glad they're finally being outright with more of the changes they've been making (though they admittedly should have been earlier). It's been blatantly obvious for a while that XV is not the same game Versus would have or could have been. It isn't surprising that they aren't going to adhere to "groundwork" laid out years ago by a series of obscure conceptual trailers.

People need to accept that Versus was never a real game and that XV is only based (probably loosely) on what Versus might have been had it ever gotten off the ground.

It seems Final Fantasy Versus XIII was just a dream after all.
Time to wake up.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
So the new writer is a complete unknown? That's the kind of thing that gets me excited. Having fresh blood push the franchise forward. Can't wait to see what she brings to the table.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Hopefully we get a "The Making of" blu-ray or something that comes in a FFXV CE, to detail what exactly Nomura's "vision" was in regards to Versus XIII or a detailed write-up of the original storyboard/concept(s). I'd still like to see a lot of the early concepts.

Last edited: