Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
It just bothers me when some people bring up Xenoblade X's Skell gameplay as a comparison to bash the Type-F with "can't do X right like Y? don't do it at all", despite that both try to accomplish different things design-wise besides flying.

Can it still be improved in some way? Sure. Should they get rid of it? Hell naw.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It just bothers me when some people bring up Xenoblade X's Skell gameplay as a comparison to bash the Type-F with "can't do X right like Y? don't do it at all", despite that both try to accomplish different things design-wise besides flying.
I've always felt that that approach is the leading cause of all the bullshit you see online. It's problematic on so many levels.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Its one of the reasons why its such a perilous trial just to keep a neutral conduct towards those type of communities out there, when 90% of the time it almost results to you getting spat in the face, especially if one were to argue a different outlook on what one would considered "flaw".

A (shitty) topic i witnessed on Gamefaqs claiming XV to be a "reason why japan shouldn't make open world games" comes to mind.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Its one of the reasons why its such a perilous trial just to keep a neutral conduct towards those type of communities out there, when 90% of the time it almost results to you getting spat in the face, especially if one were to argue a different outlook on what one would considered "flaw".

A (shitty) topic i witnessed on Gamefaqs claiming XV to be a "reason why japan shouldn't make open world games" comes to mind.
Well, not referencing any particular drama. It's not something from any particular place, it's the population in general, moreso on the internet, and not even confined to video games, let alone this one. It's a global problem in approach.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
In my opinion it will be not that hard to fix flaws via DLC's and addon's, all they need to do is flesh out some characters via cutscenes, and make some thing explorable(if not fully explorable tenebrae, but atleast some sort of dungeon here), i think chapter 10 was perfect example how to handle linear path of the game.
I agree with you for the most part, but I also feel that Ch. 10 should have still been a bit more open. That town looked almost too expansive or beautiful NOT to be able to explore.

I definitely want Tenebrae to be a dungeon, it just makes so much sense.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
ideal scenario for chapter 10 would be:

station > elevator > small-mid size area in cartanica that leads to the dungeon

chapter 11 and 12 is where i want the most support i guess, this area is amazing.

also, it would be great if they implemented a system where u can use
the car on the second continent if they add more areas, and use the trains to go back or advance when u wanted.

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
We honestly can only wonder what will happen with this game after everything will be released. And its might be stupid but im really looking forward to this, i just dont want to move on, all these characters and world is so lovely. I just want to forget about this game for half-year and then play with all the patches and content with a clear mind and clear feels <3
Also glad they just don't abandon successful sales-wise product like Konami did, when its not even close to Konami level of fuckery. This game has a shelf, story content is there, lore is there, side content is there. Just need some work.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I'd love to get excited about future dlc but I just can't. The game left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I kinda wanna forget I played it, get it all updated with the intended cut content and start afresh.

But at this moment in time, the free and paid dlc does not grab my attention.
All of it should have been in the base game.

Yes I know some of it wasn't intended for the the base game but considering how barebones the game was in terms of main scenario content it should have been anyways.

I'm sorry to be the downer in this regard bit it's truthfully how I feel.
And it's sad when you see first timers who haven't played FF before really like the game but realise the same thing: the story is just not there. First impressions matter alot in this regard and I hope they do put monumental effort into the free updates and give huge incentive to play the game against from start to finish.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I'd love to get excited about future dlc but I just can't. The game left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I kinda wanna forget I played it, get it all updated with the intended cut content and start afresh.

Yes I know some of it wasn't intended for the the base game but considering how barebones the game was in terms of main scenario content it should have been anyways.

And it's sad when you see first timers who haven't played FF before really like the game but realise the same thing: the story is just not there. First impressions matter alot in this regard and I hope they do put monumental effort into the free updates and give huge incentive to play the game against from start to finish.
Okay come on, it's not like we're talking about No Mans Sky 'barebones' here. It's evident what the story in FFXV is and it's pretty easy to follow, it just lacks a bit of substance. I am sure you have played many FF's so you'll know that they're all not exactly the most story intensive games out there.

It's clear that the FFXV story needed work in terms of fullness but for it to completely ruin the game is a bit of an over reaction. Then again I guess it's completely subjective.

I personally had no expectations in this regard, so it didn't bother me. I rather enjoyed the story.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

It's understandable to be dissapointed with the story but not to the level of not wanting to (re)play the game, I mean there's more to XV (and any game) than just story as incentive to play it.

Last edited:

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
I don't agree entirely with you Chinlee, but I do understand where you're coming from.

There are many things I love about the game as a game, but for me FF has always been more than just games. XV really disappointed me in that regard to the point of almost feeling insulted and patronized when it comes to how I can so obviously see the duct-tape and strings still attached to everything when it comes to the plot and pacing.

I love the main cast; some of their moments together are my favorite FF interactions. They're deserving of so much more than what they currently have. When finished the first time (working on a slower second playthrough right now), I was mostly left with sadness because there was so much more in there that could've been.

That doesn't make the game bad, it's a solid 8 for me. But knowing what's here and what could've been here even more, I know that this game could've easily been a 9,5+ for me. It had the chance of being one of the best if not the best. And that feeling is somehow quite a strong nagging feeling that wouldn't have been there if the game was outright bad or had no potential at all. It would've been easier to move on in the latter scenario.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I don't agree entirely with you Chinlee, but I do understand where you're coming from.

There are many things I love about the game as a game, but for me FF has always been more than just games. XV really disappointed me in that regard to the point of almost feeling insulted and patronized when it comes to how I can so obviously see the duct-tape and strings still attached to everything when it comes to the plot and pacing.

I love the main cast; some of their moments together are my favorite FF interactions. They're deserving of so much more than what they currently have. When finished the first time (working on a slower second playthrough right now), I was mostly left with sadness because there was so much more in there that could've been.

That doesn't make the game bad, it's a solid 8 for me. But knowing what's here and what could've been here even more, I know that this game could've easily been a 9,5+ for me. It had the chance of being one of the best if not the best. And that feeling is somehow quite a strong nagging feeling that wouldn't have been there if the game was outright bad or had no potential at all. It would've been easier to move on in the latter scenario.
i must admit some of the moments and story bits are one of my favorites in the series, but it's definitely a case of "it got so close" in the end overall, giving the troubled development i'm satisfied with what we've got tho.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I completely understand the disappointments, but I feel like time and perspective will, and should, downplay the effect long-term.

Basically, with the Open World structure, the second half story is, what, maybe 5-10% of the play time depending on the player (yes, for some it'll be more, but ignoring the remaining content is a player's choice). And, as I've mentioned, FF games have all been timeless, at least for me. I barely remember what my first impressions were for any of them, except for FFXII, which I hated the first time through, now it's my favorite with over 1000 hours logged into (mostly) IZJS.

While there will always be a core of people who won't get over the story woes, there's a couple of other factors that could still wipe that out over the next couple of years: (Free) Patching in of some missable/forgotten details, and that it does ultimately at least come to a satisfying end, unlike the closest comparable, MGSV. With that, and expansion of Eos via patches and DLC scenarios, and support for higher end hardware (whether that be a full Pro patch or a PC release or just general improvements to frame pacing issues prevalent on the PS4) the perception of this game a year or two from now could well be very different from how it is today.

Especially with so much of the game being an acquired taste. In my experience, a lot of the gameplay-related compaints are dropping off considerably as people are getting used to them not being what they expected. A week ago, you couldn't talk about flying on any site without getting a thousand replies crying "objectively bad game design" and now, I'm seeing a backlash from people who got back in the pilot seat and got used to the concept. Nearly every aspect of the game is having similar effects. A week ago, you couldn't say JMV without adding that it's such torture to have to put yourself through, now people are getting it and seeing it for the kinda fun little FF mini-game that it is.

Or, most recently, the fishing. I had been going through like a whole roll of string on every fish, and I'm not sure some of the big fish even noticed there was someone trying to reel them in at all, the line snapped so fast. Until I read how others were doing it, and how, with finesse, you not only save a ton of durability, but the fishing game itself is much more interesting and deeper than I originally expected. Now I'm wishing I had kept up with it along the way.

They earned their 83/84 by rushing it out the door, but that doesn't mean the game is crap or anything. That some have been trying to officially bury it, NMS style, but it's not taking is a testament to that. There's a shitload of great stuff in this game to think about once you get over those initial disappointments.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
i consider a lot the fact FFXV took risks, tried new things and brought original themes like the road trip (never seen friendship so well portrayed in a game also).

FFXV is unique.
Definitely unique. And I really appreciate that part about it. And totally understand why some people (especially the younger ones) will have a tough time adjusting to something that breaks the cookie molds of everything else that's out there. But, to me, that is the whole point. The flying isn't like flying in other games, on purpose. The road trip feel isn't like other games, on purpose. Pitioss Ruins.... Oh man, how unique that one is.

Weird, unique and beautiful, despite a few warts. Warts that are just part of a whole.