Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I figured as much. Although the team and fans may want XV to be continually updated, corporate may not feel the same way. Square-Enix only has so many employees and likely wants to move towards new and fresh ventures. They may not see the need or purpose to continually pour resources into an already completed venture. The PC release will in all likelihood be the final swan song for the XV franchise/universe.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
There may have been a mistranslation regarding future content in 2018.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246811308&postcount=10681

Upon reading the article and asking a co-worker to translate, there may have been a mistranslation here. It seems Tabata is stating the team hasn't "decided what the schedule of updates are after the PC release." He doesn't even mention "2017 Plan" or 2018.
adding to that

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/23/16189646/final-fantasy-15-sequel-hajime-tabata-interview-gamescom

while he said no to a sequel, "...in the future, we could see even more episodic installments, Tabata said — plus another VR game, perhaps more like the one we saw at E3 2016."

i won't be satisfied till i get one episode for ardyn and luna lol, i think storywise it would be enough for me; just imagine
playing as ardyn 2000 years ago when he was actually the good guy, seeing him getting crucified, his relation with ifrit, also wasn't the summons living in the world? why did they leave, what truly ignited the war... fuck, endless potential

luna would be a difficult case because her character and role is very limited and basic, there doesn't seem to be an interesting backstory around her, maybe add a political twist in her story since she's the oracle and submitted to the empire? exploring tenebrae would be a must... lore-wise the game is so barebones, it would be a nice opportunity to expand the faith and morality related to the gods and so on

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I figured as much. Although the team and fans may want XV to be continually updated, corporate may not feel the same way. Square-Enix only has so many employees and likely wants to move towards new and fresh ventures. They may not see the need or purpose to continually pour resources into an already completed venture. The PC release will in all likelihood be the final swan song for the XV franchise/universe.
This makes a lot of sense and has crossed my mind too.

I don't think the story updates we get will be as meaty as we would like because it's as you said, corporate may not see the point in pouring more time and money into a venture that is already "finished".

There's a possibility the update scenarios may be minimilistic in nature.

Who knows? I'd like for them to go full out but we shall see. The team can only work within the confines of the limitations the company places upon them after all.

adding to that

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/23/16189646/final-fantasy-15-sequel-hajime-tabata-interview-gamescom

while he said no to a sequel, "...in the future, we could see even more episodic installments, Tabata said — plus another VR game, perhaps more like the one we saw at E3 2016."

i won't be satisfied till i get one episode for ardyn and luna lol, i think storywise it would be enough for me; just imagine
playing as ardyn 2000 years ago when he was actually the good guy, seeing him getting crucified, his relation with ifrit, also wasn't the summons living in the world? why did they leave, what truly ignited the war... fuck, endless potential

luna would be a difficult case because her character and role is very limited and basic, there doesn't seem to be an interesting backstory around her, maybe add a political twist in her story since she's the oracle and submitted to the empire? exploring tenebrae would be a must... lore-wise the game is so barebones, it would be a nice opportunity to expand the faith and morality related to the gods and so on
Following on from my comment above, if we won't end up getting meaty base game story updates, so long as we get Episode Ardyn done properly, I'll settle for that.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
My take from that comment was that it isn't the team heavily implying dropped support next year, but rather that they haven't made finalized plans for updates moving forward in 2018 after the PC version is out. As @Paperchampion23 said, there is still the long-term stuff such as making certain characters playable.

Now, my perspective of course could be incorrect, but i'm merely choosing to take the wait and see approach on this particular matter ti'll we get the full picture.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
My take from that comment was that it isn't the team heavily impying dropped support next year, but rather that they haven't made finalized plans for updates moving forward in 2018 after the PC version is out. As @Paperchampion23 said, there is still the long-term stuff such as making certain characters playable.

Now, my perspective of course could be incorrect, but i'm merely choosing to take the wait and see approach on this particular matter ti'll we get the full picture.
they haven't done the survey for nothing after all, maybe they still haven't decided what to do next like you said who knows.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Exactly, which is part of why i'm greatly anticipating how the survey results will fare and where the team will go from that point onwards.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
My take from that comment was that it isn't the team heavily implying dropped support next year, but rather that they haven't made finalized plans for updates moving forward in 2018 after the PC version is out. As @Paperchampion23 said, there is still the long-term stuff such as making certain characters playable.

My sense is that if they're releasing a PC version in 2018, it's implicit that there is support throughout that year. What that means in terms of expansions we can't say, but I don't think they'd put all that effort into building a high-spec version of the game without offering the newly-expanded player base some other content to purchase.

I am curious as to what is this "announcement" Tabata teased. Perhaps they're holding it for the fan event tomorrow -- or it's simply not ready. Tabata is unusually forthcoming; I highly doubt he'd tease the existence of something if there wasn't full commitment from SE.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
yeah almost forgot about the fan event, hopefully there'll be more "hardcore" news since the fan community will attend.

btw, which options of the survey do you guys think made to the top? i bet its ardyn episode, ifrit's betrayal and aranea playable, maybe luna.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
holy shit

https://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-final-fantasy-xv-collaboration-revealed-gamescom/

i hope you guys got that dream egg haha

"In what started almost three years ago at an informal meeting during the Tokyo Game Show to express admiration for each other’s work, the Assassin’s Creed and Final Fantasy XV development teams have announced a collaboration that will result in the two franchises paying homage to each other’s gaming universes. The two teams marked the announcement with a piece of artwork unveiled at this year’s Gamescom that features Bayek from Assassin’s Creed Origins and Noctis from Final Fantasy XV. Attendees at the show also had opportunity to get the artwork signed by Ashraf Ismail, game director at Ubisoft Montreal, and Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy XV.

However, eagle-eyed fans may want to go back and look at a Final Fantasy XV trailer from November of last year, the Assassin’s Creed Origins announcement trailer, and most recently, the Assassin’s Creed Origins Gamescom trailer to spot Easter eggs signaling the unofficial start of the references made between the two franchises.

This collaboration is the result of being huge fans,” says Ismail. “There’s a lot of respect between the two teams and we couldn’t be more thrilled with the opportunity to pay homage to each other’s work.”

The collaboration kicks off on August 30, as Final Fantasy XV players who have obtained the Dream Egg from the Moogle Chocobo Carnival event will be gifted a very familiar Assassin outfit for Noctis. The very next day, August 31, will be the release of the free Assassin’s Festival DLC for Final Fantasy XV. The town of Lestallum will transform itself for the event with signs and banners signaling the arrival of the festival, and new activities will be available for players to participate in. It doesn’t end there. The Assassin’s Festival will have some additional themed items and features, including another outfit from Assassin’s Creed, along with abilities that enable Noctis to explore more like an Assassin and even use some of the Assassins’ more well-known abilities."

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
That's unexpected, but cool. I think the vertical climbing/parkour-type gameplay in FFXV is the most interesting aspect. Maybe we'll see an expansion (and I have no knowledge of this at all) with this freedom in it.

Oct 2, 2016
Ridiculously frustrated right now, unless this isn't the "big announcement" that Tabata mentioned.

I am Final Fantasy XV's biggest fan, lover of its characters, designs, lore, and even the story backdrop. I was deeply disappointed with the story presentation and clear missing pieces, which I was ardently hoping would be the announcement we were waiting for: fleshed out cut-scenes for so many missing pieces. While FFXV does have humor, it's an epic tale that takes itself seriously. Instead, we appear to be getting this!

In the context of a story-complete game, as well as if Tabata hadn't suggested they were going to "fix" the story, I wouldn't mind these silly collab things. But in light of all of the above, it feels cheap and odd, even if it may be a little fun. For example, the Empire appears to be basically cut from the second half of the game, an Empire we hardly even saw but just suddenly disappears off the face of Eos. Now they have a chance with this DLC thing to actually fix the Empire scene that resulted in Jared's death, and instead they do this weird, goofy Dream thing with Loqi.

And no need to remind me that this is "free." I know it's free, but I'm also aware that (1) these free things clearly take a lot of resources to develop which could have been used for better things that most of us really want, and (2) no one asked for it while the community has been consistent in asking for a few things like (a) story cutscene updates, (b) meaningful side-quests. I imagine adding cut-scenes would be so much easier than creating this Assassin's Creed thing.

Is this supposed to make Square more money or something? I feel that we, as a fan-base, should let Square know that this was a silly decision in hopes that they'll get their priorities straight. This isn't entitlement, it's communicating to the devs what we really want.

Here's to hoping that cut-scenes, a coherent, self-contained narrative in the main game, is on the way.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
How do you know if they have their priorities straight when you don't know the dev schedule? They could be working on both for all you know. What a hyperbolic post.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Lol did they just give more story to a one of the villains in this? I mean, I'm all for it being canon in some silly way. There's A LOT of cutscenes in this already.

Anyway, if this is the first of several free DLC type things they plan on doing in the future, then I'm game for it, but come on, expand the story, not collabs.
This attention should be given to Altissia, the 2nd half, as well as many portions of the first half that need more to make it feel less bloated with bland missions.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I understand the frustration and problems some of you might have with the current announcements of stuff no one asked for and your worries about this possibly taking away resources from the "fixes", I will not argue againts your sentiments but I will give a possible answer as to why all of this "unnecesary" stuff is happening:

Yesterday we got a reconfirmation that XV won't get a sequel, via Polygon having an interview with Tabata and he said something interesting during that interview:
Hajime Tabata said:
If you do that full sequel model of expanding on an IP or a series, it’s good in certain ways, the negative of that is there’s a very large open period where you’re not releasing anything. In that period, you get people to move away, and their attachment to the franchise dissipates a little bit
In simple terms, they want FFXV to stay relevant for as long as they can.
I'm very sure Tabata and team are aware that delivering any of the "big fixes" (story and gameplay) fans want will take a lot of time and very surely know that this time gaps can kill fans interest/attention, making this "big fixes" probably not worth investing if they don't have enough people still playing the game. Making all this distractions (Episode DLCs, free updates, Collaborations, other extra Universe material, etc) is their means to keep people talking about FFXV.

I don't know how much resources this Assasin's Creed x FFXV collaboration might have cost but, if they can do all this stuff while potentially (we have no confirmation at the moment) developing any of the fixes promised in the last survey then one of the conclusions I can arrive is that we perhaps are downplaying how much resources Bussiness Division 2 have at their disposal, I am not saying they have tons of gold saved on their pockets to spend, I am just saying they likely have just enough to deliver everything/most of the stuff they have on their schedule.

That's my perspective on the matter. I recommend just being patient and have a bit of hope, just like some of you/us had during the VSXIII era and during the years, months and days leading up to XV's release date.