Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
I wonder if that translation of the middle term goal is correct because all they've added so far are cutscenes to chapter 12 and an optional play route to chapter 13. Not that I'm shitting on them for those 2 things because they are great options, I was just hoping for much more in that front.

We'll see what they do I guess
Well it does say that they havn't fully accomplished their mid term goal yet which was stuff relating to the story and event scenes, and that more for that is still coming. Their long term goal according that above was just for making other characters playable and making the avatar system.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I wonder if that translation of the middle term goal is correct because all they've added so far are cutscenes to chapter 12 and an optional play route to chapter 13. Not that I'm shitting on them for those 2 things because they are great options, I was just hoping for much more in that front.
Middle term goal (almost completed, more to come); literally means they're still working on it.

anyway, must read in-depth article about the localization differences:

https://thelifestream.net/final-fan...out-the-translation-and-localization-of-ffxv/

what Ardyn meant when he said that line to gentiana is clear in japanese.

edit:

https://thelifestream.net/october-2017-interview-with-ray-chase/

very nice interview with Ray Chase, and great answer from him:

– The Lifestream: As a longtime fan of the series, you know how the stories are usually told, and XV was so different. You have to wander everywhere to learn everything. Even a lot of the characterization is tucked away in optional events, whereas in past FFs, there might be a hidden scene here and there, but for the most part they give it all to you. Do you think this is a good direction for “Final Fantasy”?

Ray: I think this was a response to “Final Fantasy XIII.” It had really good lore, but it was in very vague cutscenes. For a lot of people who just watched the cutscenes, it didn’t make sense. You had to read the Datalog, and you don’t want to go through the Datalog when you’re playing through a level.

I feel like that alienated a lot of people, so for this one they went in a new direction. They said, “We have lore and stuff, but it’s really about this core friendship,” and I feel like that’s what a lot of fans relate to. When I meet people at conventions, they talk about those bonds and bonds with their own friends or friends they made through playing this game. I think it brings people together that way rather than being focused on what’s going on with the Astrals. It is there, and people certainly like finding it out, so I think that way they can please everybody.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
That particular "leaked plot summary" hasn't be proved or backed up with anything other than bluster and fanaticism. I'd say that's an early concept of Shiva's giantess corpse. And Reaper-like beings were a part of XV until fairly late when age rating issues forced their removal (probably due to China as they've got very specific rules about not allowing anything that makes people think outside the box...or outside the local faith systems...or indeed outside or about anything much that doesn't have a government approval stamp...full stop.)
If the reapers were removed because of China's allergy to anything that contradicts the local faith systems, FFXV seems to have done that thing where technical compliance is used as an excuse to undercut the spirit of the restriction even more than originally planned. "You find fantasy death worshipers threatening to your culture? Fine, then. Now it's a Christian allegory." XD

But here's something interesting. A piece from the same artbook shows sketches of one of the Lucii.
Man, I can't wait for Christmas so I can get access to that artbook. It's gorgeous.

Also, I absolutely adore the design of the Oracle armor. I'm not entirely clear as to why she got a male voice in Comrades, but she's got one of the nicest female armor designs I've seen in a while.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Middle term goal (almost completed, more to come); literally means they're still working on it.

anyway, must read in-depth article about the localization differences:

https://thelifestream.net/final-fan...out-the-translation-and-localization-of-ffxv/

what Ardyn meant when he said that line to gentiana is clear in japanese.

edit:

https://thelifestream.net/october-2017-interview-with-ray-chase/

very nice interview with Ray Chase, and great answer from him:

– The Lifestream: As a longtime fan of the series, you know how the stories are usually told, and XV was so different. You have to wander everywhere to learn everything. Even a lot of the characterization is tucked away in optional events, whereas in past FFs, there might be a hidden scene here and there, but for the most part they give it all to you. Do you think this is a good direction for “Final Fantasy”?

Ray: I think this was a response to “Final Fantasy XIII.” It had really good lore, but it was in very vague cutscenes. For a lot of people who just watched the cutscenes, it didn’t make sense. You had to read the Datalog, and you don’t want to go through the Datalog when you’re playing through a level.

I feel like that alienated a lot of people, so for this one they went in a new direction. They said, “We have lore and stuff, but it’s really about this core friendship,” and I feel like that’s what a lot of fans relate to. When I meet people at conventions, they talk about those bonds and bonds with their own friends or friends they made through playing this game. I think it brings people together that way rather than being focused on what’s going on with the Astrals. It is there, and people certainly like finding it out, so I think that way they can please everybody.

I know, I was more concerned with the fact that they say its almost complete. Do they mean that whatever they have in store is almost done? Or do they mean that the Chapter 12 updates was the majority of it and they plan on doing a little more with it? That is what I am confused about.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
If the reapers were removed because of China's allergy to anything that contradicts the local faith systems, FFXV seems to have done that thing where technical compliance is used as an excuse to undercut the spirit of the restriction even more than originally planned. "You find fantasy death worshipers threatening to your culture? Fine, then. Now it's a Christian allegory." XD
Yeah. But it's about sacrifice for the wider people, not finding a way through personal power (and the people who try to do that or want to do that are portrayed as villains and/or end up dying). In its present form, it's an anti-individualist storyline, so in a country like modern mainland China it's not so much of a risk as worshiping figures of death.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
In their ATR, they talk about wanting people who have completed the game to return to it. How awesome would it be to be able to fight all 13 of the Lucii as extremely hard post game bossfights? That would be absolutely great.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Yeah. But it's about sacrifice for the wider people, not finding a way through personal power (and the people who try to do that or want to do that are portrayed as villains and/or end up dying). In its present form, it's an anti-individualist storyline, so in a country like modern mainland China it's not so much of a risk as worshiping figures of death.
To be honest, I feel like a worldview in which leaders are expected to serve and sacrifice for their people (as opposed to vice-versa) could be more threatening to a totalitarian mindset than pure individualism. The game treats self-sufficiency as a virtue, too, what with the Hunters and the Glaives going around mitigating the inevitable disaster without bothering to wait for any authority to take charge. (Comrades in particular portrays a response to disaster that's pure Texas.) Altogether, the just doesn't strike me as very China-friendly. XD;

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
awesome find, is that Shiva's corpse (lots of reapers statues there)? and it seems originally regis would give his sword to Noctis in person.

yeah i searched but there's no confirmation, maybe Shuya could help us here.
I watched the video again and they do not make specific mention outside of battle. They do say ''character switch freedom in battle'' a few times, but nothing that clarified anything beyond that. So lower the expectations a bit, it cannot be said with certainty that it is confirmed.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I watched the video again and they do not make specific mention outside of battle. They do say ''character switch freedom in battle'' a few times, but nothing that clarified anything beyond that. So lower the expectations a bit, it cannot be said with certainty that it is confirmed.
yeah, its no big deal, but it would be weird to suddenly have the game swap to noctis at the end of each battle.

anyway,

https://thelifestream.net/final-fan...es-and-observations/fan-theories-about-ardyn/

https://thelifestream.net/final-fan...servations-about-the-story-and-world-of-ffxv/

very (i mean for real) recommended reading, about ardyn, what happened to the summons at the ending, and the starscourge (which is so similar to geostigma that i'm almost sure it was Nomura's idea).

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016

We'll see what they do I guess
The dev comments on this was based on the roadmap from 2016. In context, they are nearing completion on what they set out to do for this year. This does not correlate to what they plan to do next year, in which they said plenty that they will continue to improve the characters/world/lore/story.

However, we may not be seeing monthly updates as we did this year, we probably will get them. But they talked about how they had deadlines for every month this year and they were as busy this whole year as much ad they were before release the previous year. Which is why they want to focus on each content as it finishes without having strict deadlines.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
That actually makes me wonder if they'll even announce a second season pass at all, given their comments about deadlines & quality over quantity, i can imagine that BD2 would probably rather not want to worry about trying to release each DLC episode in seasonal format this time around. Unless they found a loophole of course.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://femto-jiokichi.tumblr.com/post/165711943783/jp2en-ffxvs-way-forward-interview-with-director

Famitsu: And I must ask this: I heard that Comrades takes place in the decade-long period where Noct is gone. Can we see Cindy? Of course we can, right?
Tabby: Sounds desperate. Not in Comrades, I have to say, but you will meet the important characters who have changed in a decade in the contents we plan to deliver in 2018.

this is an interview made during TGS, would be great if anyone could confirm if that's exactly what he's saying.

direct link: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201709/24142632.html

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
http://femto-jiokichi.tumblr.com/post/165711943783/jp2en-ffxvs-way-forward-interview-with-director

Famitsu: And I must ask this: I heard that Comrades takes place in the decade-long period where Noct is gone. Can we see Cindy? Of course we can, right?
Tabby: Sounds desperate. Not in Comrades, I have to say, but you will meet the important characters who have changed in a decade in the contents we plan to deliver in 2018.

this is an interview made during TGS, would be great if anyone could confirm if that's exactly what he's saying.

direct link: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201709/24142632.html
Paging @xXShuyaXx for this one pls.
Already translated this a while back. Let me look for the reddit link.

Edit;
Here you go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/729dj8/famitsu_interview_translations/

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
awesome,

its close to a confirmation that chapter 14 might be updated somehow, i don't think they'll cover that in Episode dlcs and Comrades is out of question by his words.
Which is fine. I can see any updates to comrades focusing on areas of the map they haven't covered, and perhaps a few new locations that they keep teasing (constantly hear about Galahd and Accordo in it), but at the timeline that they are in now (6 months after chapter 13 ends).

I'm starting to think their updates in 2018 are going to be 2-fold. One will focus on character DLC episodes (Ardyn, Luna, maybe even a Noctis "Omen" episode that people seem to like or want). The other will focus on free updates to the base game that largely fix the 2nd half. This means, potentially updating chapters 8-14 with more quests and areas (albeit, small ones). The biggest thing is that people wanted more to do in each chapter, so being able to explore more of Accordo, Cartanica (maybe even cover how they transitioned from boat to train), Tenebrae, and Gralea before the end of 13, while also seriously updating Chapter 14 and allow us to fight in the WoR and maybe even travel to the insomnia Citidel by foot (even if its linear).

Not saying we'd get all of this, nor any of this to be accurate, but it seems that they will have all dedicated to generating new content for the game in different service formats-> Paid DLC episodes (like we've had), larger scale free updates (to the 2nd half), and potentially even giving more relevance to Comrades as well (for the love of god please do some cool stuff with the fallen wall in Galahd or some smaller outposts there, doesn't have to be open world).