Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017

This image showing them fighting Omega PRETTY far away from the citadel.

Guess how close to the Citadel you start with the original map?

Idk if anyone sees the perspective but the difference is staggering.
Yeah, I can see, wow. Also, where we fight Cerberus was where you usually fight Behemoth King, and that map there changed a little there, I wonder if Behemoth King was moved to another area in Insomnia.

Edit:

There's also this.:

https://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/FFXV main.jpg

Last edited:

Ikkin

SeeD A-Class
Oct 30, 2016
I'm inclined to believe that if we are getting an update on the ability to drive the Regalia post timeskip, it will probably be part of the free update and not the DLC specifically. The trailer never specified it obviously, and I'm willing to think that they'd want to also give something to their playerbase that may not purchase the DLC.

So if there is indeed something, I'm thinking its 1 of 3 things: The ability to drive the car to Insomnia via the bridge to reach the entrance of city, The ability to explore the actual WoR with (maybe) some new story content involving Iris, Aranea, and Cindy, or maybe even both.
I feel like the ability to explore the WoR would be more likely to happen as part of the DLC than as a free update... mostly because a) it would take a lot more work to pull off and b) it would help buff up the DLC's content to feel more appropriate for its premium cost.

Then again, they added character switch to the main game for free, so who knows? Adding aged-up versions of Iris, Aranea, and Cindy would make me happy either way. XD;

If anyone remembers the December leak from last year, part of it had talked about how WoR Lestallum was going to be completed along with post-time skip characters, along with the ability to travel to Insomnia via "foot" (I think in this case, it would be by car).

Here is was part of the leak:

"As I said, the focus of most of the development time ended up being the Lucis area so the later parts of the game had a lot of cut content that wasn't ready. However, as far as I know, the fact that the empire is completely in chaos once you get to it never changed.

Well, the first stop after Altissia had an (smaller) open world area and you could drive the car alone.

There was a level leading up to when you encounter the Shiva statue.

The dark world section of the game featured more enviroments, you encountered each party member in different locations and you could explore part of Lestallum.

The final boss (which was another Ardyn form) got cut early this year.

The Tenebrae invasion happened after the protagonist entered the city and you got to explore a very small section of the city and Luna's chamber.

Scenes that featured Luna got cut because they were considered to be problematic.

Cor got written out of the last half of the story since it made no sense for him to show up (he was Noctis companion during the small open area after Altissia).

The end part of the game was supposed to be bigger. I know for a fact that dark world Lestallum was finished. Old Iris was also featured in some scenes. Cindy too (and I also recall them not wanting to change the Cindy design even though it was problematic because her older design implied character development).

There was concepts for a city that looked like old London with british bridges and architecture, I don't know about the rest.

I don't think they will make the world of ruin levels that were unfinished explorable unless there is more story dlc planned.

I doubt they will release the Luna scenes since the response would not be good, but the deleted scenes about the empire might get released.Like I said, Luna was featured in more scenes but they got cut.

The original Leviathan fight combined interiors and exteriors and many enemies on screen, Luna also appeared.

Like I said earlier, the final form for Ardyn was cut early this year. I haven't heard anything from the strategy guide but it might not have updated information about the story."

Looking at it even now, it seems like a lot of little things the past few weeks may be hinting at some of these "cuts" actually being resolved in the future. Very interesting looking at this leak now, though that may be confirmation bias on my part. For example:

On what may have been hinted at:
-There seem to be "hints" of Cartanica becoming a small open world again, we aren't sure entirely yet but the new update may hint at the beginnings of that.
-The Royal Update, while not hinting at anything, may improve the Ardyn bossfight simply because the Armiger is getting improved and the it seems like they are upping the ending in Insomnia a ton, with new bosses and everything. I think it is definitely possible, along with a new form that was practically confirmed at this point to be cut, but we'll have to wait and see
-The dialogue @Storm just linked suggests being able to drive the car in Chapter 14, potentially implying the WoR MAY become playable to a degree, aligning where this leak says that Chapter 14 was supposed to be larger.
-Cor's role is being expanded in the Royal Update entirely, so this may help in suggesting that the rest of these intended features could happen down the line.
-Luna's role may get expanded on due to the Royal Update ever so slightly, simply because we can see hints of her in the trailer.

On potential expansions
-Tenebrae being a dungeon and Shiva's body having bigger area make the most sense as what you can actually expand in chapter 12. They'd have to create 2 dungeons practically and make the effort to show Tenebrae getting attacked if they retcon this portion of Chapter 12 eventually.
-Not sure what this Old London city may have been, but its possible that another city gets featured eventually in a new DLC or something (Episode Ardyn?), depending on where it is. I know that a Santorini like town was also in development but was removed from the game. Perhaps these return at some point.
-The GDC 2017 trailer had showed a particular area of the Wall from Kingsglaive with in game assets. I'm assuming this area was in Northern Lucis/Cavaugh but we may see this in the future with something.
-Not sure if Gralea was supposed to be playable or anything but with Chapter 13, you have the ability to make part of the city into a dungeon to expand that. Not sure, but it would probably help part of everyone's desires to see more of the Empire itself.
-The Leviathan Fight may also get revamped at some point, simply because it uses the same armiger as the Ardyn fight which may have changed overall with this new DLC, but probably not now. Perhaps if they ever update Chapters 8 and 9 to their liking, something may happen with it.
-It is possible they are also reworking those Luna scenes in order to release them, but with a significant content release improving her story (which could happen if they ever update chapters 8 and 9)
It really seems like BD2 has dedicated itself to bringing back as much of the cut content as possible. Here's my take on the material mentioned by the leak:

1) The changes that the Out Of Bounds glitch set have found to the area around the Cartanica dungeon strongly suggest that the smaller open world area there might be making a comeback. If anything, I think this is most likely to be the free update to go along with the Royal Edition release.

2) The resurrected Regalia and the presence of the Glaives in the Royal Edition trailer makes an excursion to Lestallum make a lot of sense. They've already finished World of Darkness Lestallum for Comrades, so it wouldn't be that difficult to reuse it. And, of course, the end of the game has been expanded in a number of other ways as well.

3) While the leaker didn't seem to think any of the cut Luna scenes would make a comeback, I'm not convinced. Ravus' actions in Ep Ignis towards Calligo were entirely consistent with Calligo having mistreated Luna the way he did in the Dawn trailer. I'm guessing what they're really looking for is a way to properly contextualize the uncomfortable scenes, and giving Luna more agency after her death seems like a decent place to start.

4) Cor is clearly being written back into the second half of the story, given his scene in the Royal Edition trailer. I'm less convinced that he'll show up in the area around Cartanica the way one of the leaks implied, because it wouldn't make sense for him to be there in a number of ways.

5) While there's no real hint at this, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they revamp the Leviathan fight, if only because they seem to have reached a point where they can create cool setpiece moments within a reasonable timeframe (per Episodes Prompto, Comrades, and Ignis).

6) If Ardyn's boss fight isn't expanded in the Royal Edition, I'll eat my hat. =P I'm down with fighting Ardyn in the daemonic form he already has, but I'm still really leery of any truly bestial form.

7) The "old London city" is Gralea -- the concept art makes it very clear that the description fits that city perfectly. I'm not sure how they'd work it back in, unless they added a sequence where the bros escaped (and somehow managed to take the Regalia's wreck with them.

Yeah, I have a big feeling that Episode Ardyn is going to be the only Character centric episode we get this year, because of the demand for it. I think the rest of the DLC will be more similar in vein of what they are doing in Chapter 14 with the Royal Update. Tabata had said during the Game nformer interview that they plan in releasing DLC that is tied much closer to main story. I think doing DLC in Niflheim and other regions to give the main characters more areas to explore and expanded story is more important than making separate, character episodes. I think Ardyn gets a free pass because he's basically the 2nd most important character after Noctis and could possibly help in expanding part of the world and lore with the games narrative structure.
I don't know... I feel like there's still a distinct possibility that Luna might get a character-centric DLC of her own, because she's at least as in need of it as Ardyn is.

Besides, it feels like it'd make more sense for there to be two more Episode-sized ($5) DLCs and an Ultima Edition (with a corresponding Ultima Pack) than one Episode and two general expansion packs.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I feel like the ability to explore the WoR would be more likely to happen as part of the DLC than as a free update... mostly because a) it would take a lot more work to pull off and b) it would help buff up the DLC's content to feel more appropriate for its premium cost.

Then again, they added character switch to the main game for free, so who knows? Adding aged-up versions of Iris, Aranea, and Cindy would make me happy either way. XD;

It really seems like BD2 has dedicated itself to bringing back as much of the cut content as possible. Here's my take on the material mentioned by the leak:

1) The changes that the Out Of Bounds glitch set have found to the area around the Cartanica dungeon strongly suggest that the smaller open world area there might be making a comeback. If anything, I think this is most likely to be the free update to go along with the Royal Edition release.

2) The resurrected Regalia and the presence of the Glaives in the Royal Edition trailer makes an excursion to Lestallum make a lot of sense. They've already finished World of Darkness Lestallum for Comrades, so it wouldn't be that difficult to reuse it. And, of course, the end of the game has been expanded in a number of other ways as well.

3) While the leaker didn't seem to think any of the cut Luna scenes would make a comeback, I'm not convinced. Ravus' actions in Ep Ignis towards Calligo were entirely consistent with Calligo having mistreated Luna the way he did in the Dawn trailer. I'm guessing what they're really looking for is a way to properly contextualize the uncomfortable scenes, and giving Luna more agency after her death seems like a decent place to start.

4) Cor is clearly being written back into the second half of the story, given his scene in the Royal Edition trailer. I'm less convinced that he'll show up in the area around Cartanica the way one of the leaks implied, because it wouldn't make sense for him to be there in a number of ways.

5) While there's no real hint at this, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they revamp the Leviathan fight, if only because they seem to have reached a point where they can create cool setpiece moments within a reasonable timeframe (per Episodes Prompto, Comrades, and Ignis).

6) If Ardyn's boss fight isn't expanded in the Royal Edition, I'll eat my hat. =P I'm down with fighting Ardyn in the daemonic form he already has, but I'm still really leery of any truly bestial form.

7) The "old London city" is Gralea -- the concept art makes it very clear that the description fits that city perfectly. I'm not sure how they'd work it back in, unless they added a sequence where the bros escaped (and somehow managed to take the Regalia's wreck with them.

I don't know... I feel like there's still a distinct possibility that Luna might get a character-centric DLC of her own, because she's at least as in need of it as Ardyn is.

Besides, it feels like it'd make more sense for there to be two more Episode-sized ($5) DLCs and an Ultima Edition (with a corresponding Ultima Pack) than one Episode and two general expansion packs.

I can see Gralea being worked in just as you said, or chapter 13 in the beginning by allowing you to explore part of the city for some new, undefined reason. Other than that, maybe Episode Ardyn partially takes place there, though, I'm inclined to believe it will take place in a new area we haven't seen yet, who knows though.

Edit: But even more likely are map or dungeon expansions made for Tenebrae and Shiva's area. Chapter 12 is criminally short and is the most obvious of not letting you explore the world around you. After chapter 10 though, I feel like these 2 chapters could seriously use revamps, be it part of a DLC or a free update in smaller forms.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
@Ikkin Should Levuathan get revamped, what viable additions do you think would work for the fight itself?
Totally not Ikkin lmao but if i had to guess, they'd make it more like the concept trailer and more like what the leak describes: more interior fighting and a much bigger set piece. Leviathan should be a boss, but it' the set piece that got people going more in 2013 than actually fighting it.

You can probably tell I'm bored and honestly am too impatient for this games potential updates lol

Totally not Ikkin lmao but if i had to guess, they'd make it more like the concept trailer and more like what the leak describes: more interior fighting and a much bigger set piece. Leviathan should be a boss, but it' the set piece that got people going more in 2013 than actually fighting it.

You can probably tell I'm bored and honestly am too impatient for this games potential updates lol
I wouldn't be so sure, making a bigger setpiece seens like a waste of assets for a single fight. For me the most likely scenario would be making the existing fight mechaniquely more challenging (without making it bigger) , somehow.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I wouldn't be so sure, making a bigger setpiece seens like a waste of assets for a single fight. For me the most likely scenario would be making the existing fight mechaniquely more challenging (without making it bigger) , somehow.
Honestly, that is the more levelheaded and likely approach. I can see them wanting to fix and update as much as they can, but they can' give everything the expensive set piece treatment and honestly in this regard, changing the actual fight to be more challenging but still similar is probably for the best.

Plus id prefer things like this to be free lol

Last edited:

Ikkin

SeeD A-Class
Oct 30, 2016
They've already got a ton of extra assets thanks to Episode Ignis.

My most developed thought is this: having to face Leviathan in the open section of Altissia featured in Episode Ignis' Chapter 1 could be awesome. Instead of having Noct first coming face to face with Leviathan in a part of the city that was already destroyed, he could be forced to flee across the rooftops while the Imperial forces cause trouble for whichever party is closer to them. In a few instances, he could be close to being overwhelmed only to be freed by a burst of light from Luna's Trident.

In the last of these instances, he could escape from the destruction of a building only to find himself in the sort of area in which the current Leviathan fight starts. That particular segment could be spruced up with the immediate destruction of any warp point that Noct warped to and end with Noct getting slapped down by Leviathan as soon as they're all gone.

The final section of the fight would be best served by revamping the mechanics of the super-Armiger... which might be best facilitated by incorporating the improvements to the normal Armiger in the Royal Edition. The biggest problem of the final section of the Leviathan fight as it stands is that instead of feeling ridiculously powerful and awesome, you just had to hold down a button for what felt like way too long until Leviathan's health depleted. If Noct was given free rein to use the new special moves at will and those special moves were significantly buffed for the fight, the intended goal would be much better served.

None of that, of course, would do much to make the Leviathan sequence more challenging... but that's why I think that Episode Ignis and it's two excellent boss fights should be integrated in its chronologically-rightful place.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
It would make a world of difference if we could drive around and go to Lestallum in chapter 14.

Driving from Hammerhead, and manually making our way all the way up to the Citadel is a huuuge update. Driving along the bridge connecting the main continent with Insomnia alone would be something. I hope dialogue accompanies this drive.

Does anyone think that they're going to change the meeting with the bros? As in we will need to travel around and find them one by one in the Dark World?

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017
I can see Gralea being worked in just as you said, or chapter 13 in the beginning by allowing you to explore part of the city for some new, undefined reason. Other than that, maybe Episode Ardyn partially takes place there, though, I'm inclined to believe it will take place in a new area we haven't seen yet, who knows though.

Edit: But even more likely are map or dungeon expansions made for Tenebrae and Shiva's area. Chapter 12 is criminally short and is the most obvious of not letting you explore the world around you. After chapter 10 though, I feel like these 2 chapters could seriously use revamps, be it part of a DLC or a free update in smaller forms.
We'll see what happens later this year if they do anything with Tenebrae and Gralea. Also, one thing about Insomnia, in the Royal Edition Trailer, the citadel is 0.66 miles away. Also, like I said, I'll take any number of new areas to explore for Insomnia, even if it's just the one section we've seen in the trailer, as it's pretty big and looks well designed according to the mini-map, and I want to explore it and those branching paths, but we'll see if there's any other parts of Insomnia when the Royal Pack drops, March 6th needs to get here quick. Perhaps there could be another underground path in the new sections of Insomnia as well. Heck, the expanded Insomnia could have a structure like Myrlwood, which happens to be one of my favorite Dungeons in this game, meaning starts off with a big area, and get's smaller as it goes on, but with branching paths, that could be cool i done well, at least in my opinion, and if there's another underground section in any of the new areas in Insomnia, that could help, too.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
if you guys want a better idea on how they might expand the map:

(seeing young noctis is insomnia is oddly nostalgic)

this is actually right at the entrance of the citadel (5:34 on the first video, 2:59 or 4:58 in the second), you begin a bit far ahead after the cutscene and when you try to get closer to this area the game doesnt let you (you can if you glitch)

this is already an expanded area that you could only access with a glitch.

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017
if you guys want a better idea on how they might expand the map:

(seeing young noctis is insomnia is oddly nostalgic)

this is actually right at the entrance of the citadel (5:34 on the first video, 2:59 or 4:58 in the second), you begin a bit far ahead after the cutscene and when you try to get closer to this area the game doesnt let you (you can if you glitch)

this is already an expanded area that you could only access with a glitch.

Yeah, they could use any of those out of bounds areas if they wished, even the mini-map the sections we visited was changed a bit, in the screenshot fighting Cerberus was where the Behemoth King was fought, and in the new section of Insomnia in the Royal Edition trailer, it said we are 0.66 miles away from the citadel, so there's some distance away there, unless they added some areas to the sections we've visited, but we'll see.

Edit:

Here's the mini-map on the section just before the citadel where we fight Cerberus, which was where we originally fought the Behemoth King, the mini-map in this section may had been touched a bit.:

http://prntscr.com/iawt6z

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Oh I'm sure it has. I'm also sire they didn' get rid of that monster either, just moved it further back in the map depending on how far we start from the citadel (or just in an entirely different area, who knows)

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017
Oh I'm sure it has. I'm also sire they didn' get rid of that monster either, just moved it further back in the map depending on how far we start from the citadel (or just in an entirely different area, who knows)
Yeah, again, perhaps the expanded Insomnia could be structure like the Myrlwood Dungeon, which was one of my favorite Dungeons; starts off with a big area with branching paths, get's smaller as it goes on until we reach the goal (citadel), and in Insomnia's case with a structure like this, perhaps to add to the exploration factor, add another underground section somewhere in the new section or somewhere in Insomnia, out of bounds near the start of the original map, there's another underground tunnel outside where you start in one of the out of bound areas. I can see that as a way to make things interesting, along with the new mandatory bosses being added to Insomnia. This is just my opinion and kinda an idea, I did like the Insomnia map we got, but there wasn't enough exploration factor to it, and I didn't mind the linearity, I did want one, two, or decent-sized sections with branching paths to Insomnia to balance out the linearity for things for me to explore and fight enemies.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
It would make a world of difference if we could drive around and go to Lestallum in chapter 14.

Driving from Hammerhead, and manually making our way all the way up to the Citadel is a huuuge update. Driving along the bridge connecting the main continent with Insomnia alone would be something. I hope dialogue accompanies this drive.

Does anyone think that they're going to change the meeting with the bros? As in we will need to travel around and find them one by one in the Dark World?
If they changed how Noctis wakes in Chapter 14 with Comrades, I'm entirely sure they will change this for the game.

I think this is the reason why we currently haven't seen this update (from Comrades) yet in the base game, because when the DLC comes out, it will address what Noctis does with the remaining Kingsglaive.

I think the March update is going to be one of the biggest. While the Royal Update is paid, I have this feeling that there will be quite a few changes to (at least) chapter 14 as a regular update, considering the Royal Update is set to change the last chapter so significantly.

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017
If they changed how Noctis wakes in Chapter 14 with Comrades, I'm entirely sure they will change this for the game.

I think this is the reason why we currently haven't seen this update (from Comrades) yet in the base game, because when the DLC comes out, it will address what Noctis does with the remaining Kingsglaive.
Yeah, I had a gut feeling that after seeing Noctis meeting Libertus on Angelguard, I felt that there was going to be some sort of update to Chapter 14, and when it was announced, I freaking called it. The Insomnia expansion was something I wasn't expecting, and I wouldn't mind if it was structured similarly to the Myrlwood Dungeon, which may I again stress, starts off in a big area with branching paths, and get's smaller as you traverse on at some point, and in Insomnia's case, we start off in what seems to be part of the city center, and it's decently sized, and as you proceed on to the sections we had to the original map, they're not as big, and kinda narrow, but with an underground section connecting the two sections we got, perhaps the new section of Insomnia could also give us another underground section to get us to the sections we originally started off at, we'd emerge in the tunnel entry we saw out of bounds where the Omega arena would be. I would be fine with a structure like this.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Yeah, I had a gut feeling that after seeing Noctis meeting Libertus on Angelguard, I felt that there was going to be some sort of update to Chapter 14, and when it was announced, I freaking called it.
They just need to actually update the cutscene in the base game as well. It actually should be there, regardless of the DLC or not. Its hella awkward to clear Comrades currently, then boot up the game at Chapter 14 and completely see Noctis not being greeted by Glaives again.

On that note, I wonder how updates for Comrades will work. We know that it will get more content (increase level cap, monsters, weapons, food, sigils, bases, etc), but will they actually continue the story? Libertus talks about bringing power to Accordo and Galahd (and we also clearly need to bring it to the rest of Leide), but the game technically skips 10 years by the end. Will they just go back to another unspecified time period between the 10 years and give us more content then? I dig the semi- WoR (the main game can incorporate the really taken over one), I'm just not sure how, story-wise they'd continue it after already giving us that final fight.

I guess they could make the final fight a much higher level and power requirement and just squeeze more content in between?

FFChocobo18

SeeD A-Class
Jan 9, 2017
They just need to actually update the cutscene in the base game as well. It actually should be there, regardless of the DLC or not. Its hella awkward to clear Comrades currently, then boot up the game at Chapter 14 and completely see Noctis not being greeted by Glaives again.

On that note, I wonder how updates for Comrades will work. We know that it will get more content (increase level cap, monsters, weapons, food, sigils, bases, etc), but will they actually continue the story? Libertus talks about bringing power to Accordo and Galahd (and we also clearly need to bring it to the rest of Leide), but the game technically skips 10 years by the end. Will they just go back to another unspecified time period between the 10 years and give us more content then? I dig the semi- WoR (the main game can incorporate the really taken over one), I'm just not sure how, story-wise they'd continue it after already giving us that final fight.

I guess they could make the final fight a much higher level and power requirement and just squeeze more content in between?
Yeah, who knows what they'll do with Comrades, I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016

It' funny, I think you see Gladio actually talking to her in Chapter 1 but no voiced dialogue comes out. It's be nice If they integrated that.

I wonder if they added or changed anything significant to the story. The royal edition comes out in like 3 weeks and will have an expanded ending, maybe this game has some of It? Someone play chapter 10 in this lol