Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 19, 2018
View attachment 976
The DLC I think FFXV would have benefited from the most (that we never got). Alas! :(
Considering Aranea's DLC is being sold as an opportunity to see things from Niflheim's perspective I'm gonna assume for now that, that is our Niflheim episode. Also considering Noctis is getting an Episode and they'll likely be constructing new assets for it while also changing things up to make the Episode stand on its own so I wouldn't rule out getting to explore Insomnia in a less destroyed state just yet. Who knows, maybe Noctis' extra mode in his episode is an Insomnia tour or something as an optional thing similar to how Gladio had a score attack mode, Prompto had racing, and Ignis had a straight up alternate story path. It's entirely possible they'll include some more cool extra bits of gameplay to experience once you get done with the main content. Considering that it's Episode Ignis' director helming all of these episodes I'm expecting the optional stuff to be just as meaningful as Ignis' "Extra Verse."

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Considering Aranea's DLC is being sold as an opportunity to see things from Niflheim's perspective I'm gonna assume for now that, that is our Niflheim episode. Also considering Noctis is getting an Episode and they'll likely be constructing new assets for it while also changing things up to make the Episode stand on its own so I wouldn't rule out getting to explore Insomnia in a less destroyed state just yet. Who knows, maybe Noctis' extra mode in his episode is an Insomnia tour or something as an optional thing similar to how Gladio had a score attack mode, Prompto had racing, and Ignis had a straight up alternate story path. It's entirely possible they'll include some more cool extra bits of gameplay to experience once you get done with the main content. Considering that it's Episode Ignis' director helming all of these episodes I'm expecting the optional stuff to be just as meaningful as Ignis' "Extra Verse."
This. Guys, I think we really need to stop being salty about what is coming out. It's done at this point and they aren't going to change the plan. This is what we are going to get. ALL 4 DLC's have massive potential to address all of those issues. We can get more Regis, Insomnia, Niflheim, and more through these 4 DLC.

No matter what happens, everyone won't be satisfied. It's just the curse this game has had since it was made. It's just too large for one and no matter what DLC or section of story they pick it will never get everything touched upon.

But...

1. Episode Ardyn has the opportunity to cover several different events in FFXV (Ifrits revival, Shiva's death, 2000 years ago when he was betrayed by his Brother, the Crystal and Bahamut). Whichever are covered or if all are covered it can entirely solve the Eos lore problem the game has (which they said they intended to fix with this DLC). The episode still has the ability to add new areas in Niflheim or places we havent seen yet. It's also the DLC most people wanted.

2. If Luna's episode is before her death, they can address the things she did between KG and Altissia, maybe even expand Accordo a bit more. If not, Tenebrae is its other top contender but I am unsure what she would accomplish here. If it's after it can wholly address the afterlife concept FFXV has. Overall it has the chance to elevate her character in ways we haven't seen.

3. Aranea's DLC is giving us the opportunity to expand upon Niflheim once more. Whether or not that is just Gralea or Tenebrae, remains to be seen, but also could be several areas. Self explanatory, I really think this one and Ardyn's will be very satisfying in the least.

4. Lastly Episode Noctis could give him some new OP abilities and ways to play. AGAIN, we do not know how the alternate finale will affect the main game. It could very well be like chrono trigger, or Nier, where the game has a definitive ending but other endings could shed a lot of light in the lore or canon of the game itself.

After much time thinking I definitely don't think alternative endings are a waste anymore, depending on how you tell them and how integrative or important they are to the main story. This ending could very well be canon to the main game depending on how they connect it, even if it's not the original ending.

Also, everything above was mostly from the June poll, save for Noctis's stuff unless it has to do with the Noctis's disappearance selection.

Just wait, be patient for more info. These could turn out to be the best content the game will have and we could all be shitting on it now for no reason. Just because something is alternative doesn't mean we won't get a slew of new gameplay mechanics and areas to explore.

Just think on the bright side

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
This. Guys, I think we really need to stop being salty about what is coming out. It's done at this point and they aren't going to change the plan. This is what we are going to get. ALL 4 DLC's have massive potential to address all of those issues. We can get more Regis, Insomnia, Niflheim, and more through these 4 DLC.

No matter what happens, everyone won't be satisfied. It's just the curse this game has had since it was made. It's just too large for one and no matter what DLC or section of story they pick it will never get everything touched upon.

But...

1. Episode Ardyn has the opportunity to cover several different events in FFXV (Ifrits revival, Shiva's death, 2000 years ago when he was betrayed by his Brother, the Crystal and Bahamut). Whichever are covered or if all are covered it can entirely solve the Eos lore problem the game has (which they said they intended to fix with this DLC). The episode still has the ability to add new areas in Niflheim or places we havent seen yet. It's also the DLC most people wanted.

2. If Luna's episode is before her death, they can address the things she did between KG and Altissia, maybe even expand Accordo a bit more. If not, Tenebrae is its other top contender but I am unsure what she would accomplish here. If it's after it can wholly address the afterlife concept FFXV has. Overall it has the chance to elevate her character in ways we haven't seen.

3. Aranea's DLC is giving us the opportunity to expand upon Niflheim once more. Whether or not that is just Gralea or Tenebrae, remains to be seen, but also could be several areas. Self explanatory, I really think this one and Ardyn's will be very satisfying in the least.

4. Lastly Episode Noctis could give him some new OP abilities and ways to play. AGAIN, we do not know how the alternate finale will affect the main game. It could very well be like chrono trigger, or Nier, where the game has a definitive ending but other endings could shed a lot of light in the lore or canon of the game itself.

After much time thinking I definitely don't think alternative endings are a waste anymore, depending on how you tell them and how integrative or important they are to the main story. This ending could very well be canon to the main game depending on how they connect it, even if it's not the original ending.

Also, everything above was mostly from the June poll, save for Noctis's stuff unless it has to do with the Noctis's disappearance selection.

Just wait, be patient for more info. These could turn out to be the best content the game will have and we could all be shitting on it now for no reason. Just because something is alternative doesn't mean we won't get a slew of new gameplay mechanics and areas to explore.

They clearly stated they are going to focus on the alternate timeline for at least Luna/Noctis and possibly Ardyn. The possibility of Square actually building on anything really relevant to the main story no longer seems likely, just more half baked idea's like alternate ending to Episode Ignis (That key art of Ardyn and the cast is a prime example of how out of place the story telling is going to be considering Adryn's personality and what he did to achieve his goals). People should be salty, it's a stupid move considering the main story is truly lacking in certain aspects. Like, at least finish the cut area content they couldn't finish by launch. I want a reason to replay the main content, not a 2 hour experience that I'll never touch again. Like how many times have you replayed Episode Gladio? Yet to be devil's advocate they teased the alternate timeline.

Attachments

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I’m already seeing some negative side effects of the alternate ending route Square has gone down.

From my observations, some people are already proclaiming the future happy ending one to be canon alongside the original one, if not overtaking it entirely.

The conversations are getting aggressive (both sides butting heads and arguing), but this was exactly what I was afraid of happening.

The original ending being undermined with the alternative being touted as the new canon.

We don’t know what the exact episodes will entail, but the alternative ending being given this much weight, emphasis and power was never a good thing to begin with.

You don’t need to have played the DLC to figure this out.

Yet to be devil's advocate they teased the alternate timeline.
My question is, why introduce an alternative timeline if this was only going to be a stand alone game with no prequel or sequel?

It’s not a series like KH for example, where they have multiple games to explain and expand upon this alternative stuff.

It’s a single game.

Honestly I think they just threw that in there last minute to give the game “lore.”

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

But...

im sure they will do a good job and im looking at the bright side because of Ep Ardyn and Aranea since they are canon

my problem is with the alternate concept which is simply unexciting, the description of Ep Luna and Noctis mainly

of course with more information that can either change or not

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
They clearly stated they are going to focus on the alternate timeline for at least Luna/Noctis and possibly Ardyn. The possibility of Square actually building on anything really relevant to the main story no longer seems likely, just more half baked idea's like alternate ending to Episode Ignis (That key art of Ardyn and the cast is a prime example of how out of place the story telling is going to be considering Adryn's personality and what he did to achieve his goals). People should be salty, it's a stupid move considering the main story is truly lacking in certain aspects. Like, at least finish the cut area content they couldn't finish by launch. I want a reason to replay the main content, not a 2 hour experience that I'll never touch again. Like how many times have you replayed Episode Gladio? Yet to be devil's advocate they teased the alternate timeline.

It's not clearly stated. 1 cryptic sentence in a 2 sentence description does not directly point that. But i just said that just because something is alternative doesn't take away opportunities to add a lot to the games story and environment.

And I'm not saying any of them are. It's more likely that all the 3 numbered episodes (Aranea's is definitely and plainly canon) will have canon and alternative parts to the DLC, just more so than ignis did.

For example, i definitely think all 3 will be canon up until a certain point, but then you must make a choice to change the story. Tabata said that the DLC or connected and he wants to add a new way to play. I think this "new way" ill be connecting the DLC in terms of story choices (Think Mass Effect or Dragon Age). If you do not make this choice in Ardyn's and Luna's episode, but make the choice in Nocts, you'll get a particular ending (Let's call it the "Bad" Ending. It may not be bad, but could be even more depressing than the main games because Ardyn and Luna didn't go through with their choices, aka they still did their canon choices).

If you do all 3 episodes alternative endings, you will unlock this Grand Finale. If you do the other alternative endings in any other way, we may get even more varied endings.

This to me sounds like one way the new gameplay mechanics Tabata wanted to do could be achieved. He also said he wanted to betray expectations. These DLC are doing exactly that. But he also said he wanted to surprise people as well. These can do that too, depending on how well they are pulled off.

Edit: Think about it this way. In your pic you showed, omen was part of an alternative reality. What if in Episode Noctis, doing everything wrong gets you an ending similar to that? Rejecting the gods, his friends, etc, Noct ends up killing Luna himself. Boom, game ends lol.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Didn't someone mention Comrades ended up different than what it initially was? Also EP. Ignis did go through multiple revisions too.
about comrades i think it changed a bit from the initial description

but with ep ignis i don't think so, only thing i remember is that initially it was meant to be the second dlc.

edit:

they'll make Luna playable before SQ at this point haha

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
It's not clearly stated. 1 cryptic sentence in a 2 sentence description does not directly point that. But i just said that just because something is alternative doesn't take away opportunities to add a lot to the games story and environment.

And I'm not saying any of them are. It's more likely that all the 3 numbered episodes (Aranea's is definitely and plainly canon) will have canon and alternative parts to the DLC, just more so than ignis did.

For example, i definitely think all 3 will be canon up until a certain point, but then you must make a choice to change the story. Tabata said that the DLC or connected and he wants to add a new way to play. I think this "new way" ill be connecting the DLC in terms of story choices (Think Mass Effect or Dragon Age). If you do not make this choice in Ardyn's and Luna's episode, but make the choice in Nocts, you'll get a particular ending (Let's call it the "Bad" Ending. It may not be bad, but could be even more depressing than the main games because Ardyn and Luna didn't go through with their choices, aka they still did their canon choices).

If you do all 3 episodes alternative endings, you will unlock this Grand Finale. If you do the other alternative endings in any other way, we may get even more varied endings.

This to me sounds like one way the new gameplay mechanics Tabata wanted to do could be achieved. He also said he wanted to betray expectations. These DLC are doing exactly that. But he also said he wanted to surprise people as well. These can do that too, depending on how well they are pulled off.

Edit: Think about it this way. In your pic you showed, omen was part of an alternative reality. What if in Episode Noctis, doing everything wrong gets you an ending similar to that? Rejecting the gods, his friends, etc, Noct ends up killing Luna himself. Boom, game ends lol.
The descriptions definitely state that they are going to be a focus alternate endings, there's nothing cryptic about it:
Luna- This story’s about Luna’s fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King.
Noctis- Parting ways with the Astrals, Noctis embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people.

It's unlikely that Episode Noctis will have any new assets considering it's end game content/ Luna's will most likely take place on either Lucis or Altissa. So I am extremely doubtful that we are getting anything that will remotely help the actual main content. It's disappointing and people should be salty, I think only a small portion of the community wanted an alternative timeline.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
The descriptions definitely state that they are going to be a focus alternate endings, there's nothing cryptic about it:
Luna- This story’s about Luna’s fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King.
Noctis- Parting ways with the Astrals, Noctis embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people.

It's unlikely that Episode Noctis will have any new assets considering it's end game content/ Luna's will most likely take place on either Lucis or Altissa. So I am extremely doubtful that we are getting anything that will remotely help the actual main content. It's disappointing and people should be salty, I think only a small portion of the community wanted an alternative timeline.
Read the rest of my post, I think there will completely be canon parts to the DLC, all 4 of them. I will post something later in a new thread, but my last post kind of starts it.

Feb 19, 2018
The only DLC that's straight up implied to be alternative is Noct's and even then we don't know if that's just the marketing description like how Episode Ignis' trailer had the "Master Your Fate" tagline. Not saying Luna's doesn't have the possibility of being alternative either but I feel like too many people are jumping to conclusions on this one. Also Tabata has been quoted saying in an interview that these DLCs would specifically serve to flesh out FFXV's world so I'm not sure where you where you got it from that they're no longer focusing on fleshing out XV's lore and setting even if they may be alternative. I mean just look at the characters they picked and the locations tied to them. Aranea has Niflheim, Ardyn has past Lucis covered, Noct has Insomnia, I think Square or at least Tabata's team knows just as well as anyone else that if they were to give us half-assed pieces of DLC that 1) no one would buy and 2) they'd end up also losing the fans that decided to stick around despite the bumpy launch. Say what you will about the past DLCs but Gladio still gave us a lot of lore on the King's Shield like the trial they're supposed to take to gain more power and officially ascend to the role, showed us the Tempering Grounds, and gave us more insight into Cor as a character(It's also the only place Gladio acknowledges his dad). Prompto despite having the weakest gameplay still gave us the first Magitek facility, gave us insight into the Empire's experiments, and a ton of other info. Then Ignis gave us a far more open and explorable Altissia (seriously don't know why some people ask for more Altissia after his episode if I'm being totally honest) as well as more story insight and development for characters like Ravus. I feel like too many people are writing the new DLC off far too quickly in terms of being able to provide us with story, lore, and desired locations.

Feb 19, 2018

Considering they could've just reused the Altissia we already had in the base game for Episode Ignis I'm gonna have to heavily disagree with you about that last part. I'm willing to bet that we'll definitely get something out of Episode Noctis that we haven't seen before in terms of location especially if they need a year to make it and are making it the last bit of DLC, gotta give Tabata's team more credit than, man.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
The only DLC that's straight up implied to be alternative is Noct's and even then we don't know if that's just the marketing description like how Episode Ignis' trailer had the "Master Your Fate" tagline. Not saying Luna's doesn't have the possibility of being alternative either but I feel like too many people are jumping to conclusions on this one. Also Tabata has been quoted saying in an interview that these DLCs would specifically serve to flesh out FFXV's world so I'm not sure where you where you got it from that they're no longer focusing on fleshing out XV's lore and setting even if they may be alternative. I mean just look at the characters they picked and the locations tied to them. Aranea has Niflheim, Ardyn has past Lucis covered, Noct has Insomnia, I think Square or at least Tabata's team knows just as well as anyone else that if they were to give us half-assed pieces of DLC that 1) no one would buy and 2) they'd end up also losing the fans that decided to stick around despite the bumpy launch. Say what you will about the past DLCs but Gladio still gave us a lot of lore on the King's Shield like the trial they're supposed to take to gain more power and officially ascend to the role, showed us the Tempering Grounds, and gave us more insight into Cor as a character(It's also the only place Gladio acknowledges his dad). Prompto despite having the weakest gameplay still gave us the first Magitek facility, gave us insight into the Empire's experiments, and a ton of other info. Then Ignis gave us a far more open and explorable Altissia (seriously don't know why some people ask for more Altissia after his episode if I'm being totally honest) as well as more story insight and development for characters like Ravus. I feel like too many people are writing the new DLC off far too quickly in terms of being able to provide us with story, lore, and desired locations.
thats possible, even then the information is leaning towards a feature i don't like by concept, and by the description it seems hard to believe they'll have space to provide those desired story/locations.

unfortunately thats all information we have so far so my thoughts are based on that

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Posted up a new thread on something I've been thinking about for a while. I touched on it here but I finally figured it out and potentially put the pieces together with this new concept Tabata has for the new DLC.

Hope you all can at least enjoy it while we wait the next long while.

Edit: Warning, it is entirely speculation until we get more info. Its just what I'm rolling with.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
thats possible, even then the information is leaning towards a feature i don't like by concept, and by the description it seems hard to believe they'll have space to provide those desired story/locations.

unfortunately thats all information we have so far so my thoughts are based on that
It's fine to have your thoughts and reservations as I also have mine but I'm just saying not to get all doom and gloom pessimistic so soon either. I have plenty of criticism regarding FFXV as well so I get being cautious but some people also seem to be getting swept up in all the pandemonium far too easily.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
So.....Nocts Episode is going to cover his 10 years in solitude...or is it going to be the Omen what if scenario?
I (personally) think it, along with the other 3, will be integrated "special" chapters into the main game. Based on Tabata's comments about making DLC more closely related to the main game, I think all of them will have canon parts to them. It will be the choices you make at the end of each that dictate what ending you will get at the end of the game, and will also be related to each other in that way. I posted a thread not too long ago on the topic, so feel free to come and discuss!

Tbh I think all 3 will be after Chapter 13. Canonically, Ardyn's can't really happen before then unless they plan on ruining his plot twist (you don't know he's immortal or a Lucian king, his DLC will 100% spoil that). Depending on Luna's it either takes place while she's alive or dead. If dead, it could very well just lead into her role in the Royal Pack so after Chapter 13 but before 14. Noct's will involve changing the ending directly so I'm going to assume its at least after Chapter 13. Aranea's likely between Chapters 12 and 13 I guess?

On that note, If this actually happens, I'd love it if they could do the same for the other 3 episodes, with some changes to Ignis.

Last edited:

Vankwisha

Chocobo Knight
Feb 25, 2018
I didn't like the use of the word "episode" for the dlc. Was hoping we would get some hefty expansions. 1.5-3 hours of gameplay per previous episodes. Also episodes makes it sound like it won't be incorporated into the main game. Going to the menu and selecting different episodes is a massive buzz kill.