Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
i recently was doing something and played kingsglaive in the background. it never hit me how much luna from movie is different from luna in games. and it pisses me off that in movie she is always "princess lunafreya" while in game they ignore it completly and just go with "the oracle" or "lady". like i know that her country kind of is under nifilheim but she still is a princess tho...same with ravus, who technically should be king? xD i kind of hope they will explore this a bit in episode luna and give siblings a happy ending.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
i recently was doing something and played kingsglaive in the background. it never hit me how much luna from movie is different from luna in games. and it pisses me off that in movie she is always "princess lunafreya" while in game they ignore it completly and just go with "the oracle" or "lady". like i know that her country kind of is under nifilheim but she still is a princess tho...same with ravus, who technically should be king? xD i kind of hope they will explore this a bit in episode luna and give siblings a happy ending.
It is weird considering it was the same two people that wrote the story for FFXV. It just further iterates what a shit show FFXV production was. I would have much rathered having an Episode Regis or Luna being the Insomnia Invasion rather than a film that introduces a slew of characters no one cared about and concepts like Diamond Weapon that are never brought into the main game.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
It is weird considering it was the same two people that wrote the story for FFXV. It just further iterates what a shit show FFXV production was. I would have much rathered having an Episode Regis or Luna being the Insomnia Invasion rather than a film that introduces a slew of characters no one cared about and concepts like Diamond Weapon that are never brought into the main game.
Yeah it is. I just think that Luna in movie was planned to be ordinary princess, not an oracle (I even think that it was confirmed somewhere?). But on the other hand, Stella had magic, so making Luna from magical to normal to oracle was kind of weird tho :v buuut on the other another hand xD on some videos from production of kingsglaive luna was still looking like stella so perhaps it was changed fast during production. idk. i just i dont know what were they thinking :shifty: what was diamond weapon? i think i missed it. i liked nyx and libertus and i'd love to explore more of them but game just ignores them :( yeah episode regis would be cool. i honestly dont know what episode luna is going to be about. im so sad that other episodes ideas were turned down. ah just make a proper sequel x'D i just want explorable pre invasion insomnia :c

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Because her title of princess is not important to the story of XV, her role as Oracle with the Gods is, there's no reason to bring up her royalty status.

EDIT:
It is weird considering it was the same two people that wrote the story for FFXV.
???? What do you mean? Kingsglaive and XV don't share writers:

FFXV: Saori Itamuro, Akiko Ishibashi, Takumi Nishida

Kingsglaive: Takashi Hasegawa

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I just think that Luna in movie was planned to be ordinary princess, not an oracle (I even think that it was confirmed somewhere?).
Luna's status as an Oracle was stated in 2015. Kingsglaive was still production at the time, with the project itself technically being a thing around late 2013.

I would have much rathered having an Episode Regis or Luna being the Insomnia Invasion
While that sounds cool and all, it wouldn't have been a good alternative at the time. Episode Duscae shaved off development time from the main game pre-release, and the team's deadline would not have been kind towards an additional Episode while simultaneously working on the base game.

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Because her title of princess is not important to the story of XV, her role as Oracle with the Gods is, there's no reason to bring up her royalty status.

EDIT:

Hasegawa was the writer of the screenplay. Itamuro and Nojima are still credited for creating the story for Kingsglaive.

Luna's status as an Oracle was stated in 2015. Kingsglaive was still production at the time, with the project itself technically being a thing around late 2013.

While that sounds cool and all, it wouldn't have been a good alternative at the time. Episode Duscae shaved off development time from the main game pre-release, and the team's deadline would not have been kind towards an additional Episode while simultaneously working on the base game.
Well, it didnt stop them from cutting out chunks of story and then creating the Bro Episodes, so creating a Regis or Luna Episode that was solely based on the Insomnia Invasion isn't that much of a stretch. It also would have saved them a ridiculous amount of money, money that could have gone into hiring more artist and programmers to finish FFXV on launch instead of a year after it's release.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Hasegawa was the writer of the screenplay. Itamuro and Nojima are still credited for creating the story for Kingsglaive.

Well, it didnt stop them from cutting out chunks of story and then creating the Bro Episodes, so creating a Regis or Luna Episode that was solely based on the Insomnia Invasion isn't that much of a stretch. It also would have saved them a ridiculous amount of money, money that could have gone into hiring more artist and programmers to finish FFXV on launch instead of a year after it's release.
yeah but the story about the invasion needed to be told before the release of the game, doing a dlc invasion while the main title was still in development would have caused a delay beyond the 2016 deadline, but the movie was possible because it was produced by another team.

i would be all in for a dlc invasion now though, anything but alternate timeline crap.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Well, it didnt stop them from cutting out chunks of story and then creating the Bro Episodes,
The production of the Bro Episodes only really got going after the main game went gold though, despite being announced months earlier.

so creating a Regis or Luna Episode that was solely based on the Insomnia Invasion isn't that much of a stretch.
A playable invasion Episode would be much more demanding than any of the Bro Episodes, Tabata mentioned in 2016 months pre-launch that it would have took the team additionally three years longer to make the Insomnia invasion realized.

The idea was simply out of the cards at the time, and I doubt the results would have been satisfying if it were modeled comparatively like the Bro Episodes in length & structure.

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
The production of the Bro Episodes only really got going after the main game went gold though, despite being announced months earlier.

A playable invasion Episode would be much more demanding than any of the Bro Episodes, Tabata mentioned in 2016 months pre-launch that it would have took the team additionally three years longer to make the Insomnia invasion realized.

The idea was simply out of the cards at the time, and I doubt the results would have been satisfying if it were modeled comparatively like the Bro Episodes in length & structure.
You're forgetting that if they didn't have to pay a whole other team and very famous actors to voice characters that money could have went to the development of the actual game/ creating a team for that segment. The average a famous actor makes voicing a animated film ranges from 500,000 to 10 million.

Edit: Also I think Tabata may be referring to the scale of the actual film rather than a just longer Episode that would have covered it.

Last edited:

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018

EDIT:

Kingsglaive also had Dan Inoue as a co-writer, he was also a localization lead for XV.

They also had problems with the ranks for some of the characters. Glauca is the High Commander/General, but it's confusing because it's not really cleared up.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
I'm fine with the invasion being done in a movie format. It did give the overall FFXV product more reach vs. if it had been done in a more than likely underwhelming manor in the core game.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Kingsglaive also had Dan Inoue as a co-writer, he was also a localization lead for XV.

They also had problems with the ranks for some of the characters. Glauca is the High Commander/General, but it's confusing because it's not really cleared up.
In Japanese Drautos, Cor, Glauca and Ravus are all referred to as "Shogun" which just means General or "Chief/Supreme Military Commander", so High Commander is an apt translation regarding how Glauca and Ravus are referred to. Following the events of Kingsglaive Ravus was appointed the title in Glauca's place.

Btw this is the Kingsglaive story department, I think the only reason Itamuro and Ishibashi are even mentioned is because of the post credits scene with the bros dialogue hence "Final Fantasy XV Character Dialogue Supervisors", and Nojima only has the same credit he has for the actual XV which was "original concept", which obviously both the script of Kingsglaive and the game are based from. The actual plot of Kingsglaive came from Nozue, who had been attached to Versus since 2006 but doesn't have any actual writing credits for the game.

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
You're forgetting that if they didn't have to pay a whole other team and very famous actors to voice characters that money could have went to the development of the actual game/ creating a team for that segment.
This isn't how game budgets work, especially since Kingsglaive was a film project with Aniplex aka Sony funding, meaning the only reason they could get those actors to begin with was because it was for the movie which has it's budget completely separate from what the game was doing. In addition to that those famous actors didn't get hired until at least sometime in 2015 at the earliest, the mocap actors only just did entire facial mocap for the characters in 2015 so voice recording with Sean Bean, Aaron Paul and Lena Heady couldn't have been earlier than that since it's all dubbed over to match the lip movements of the mocap actors, and in addition to that Kingsglaive had already started back in 2013 and could only exist the way it does specifically because it's a movie being made separate from the game.

It's also another reason why the game doesn't use Sean Bean as Regis even though he only has like 5 lines in the entire game, the game budget is separate from the movie. Generally when a movie is being made they have funding from production companies who give a certain budget if they agree to the pitch and to produce, since Aniplex (which is Sony) was the main producer and distributor, as well as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Stage 6 Films (which is also Sony), so since funding was mainly from them is the only reason the movie used those actors is because they got movie budget money to use for that, not for the game. The money to get those actors and the movies budget itself wouldn't even exist to begin with if not for the movie itself existing.

If they wanted to get Sean Bean for the game that would have then come out of the games budget, hence why the game didn't use him or Lena Heady and instead went with Jim Pirri and Amy Shiels.

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
In Japanese Drautos, Cor, Glauca and Ravus are all referred to as "Shogun" which just means General or "Chief/Supreme Military Commander", so High Commander is an apt translation regarding how Glauca and Ravus are referred to. Following the events of Kingsglaive Ravus was appointed the title in Glauca's place.

Btw this is the Kingsglaive story department, I think the only reason Itamuro and Ishibashi are even mentioned is because of the post credits scene with the bros dialogue hence "Final Fantasy XV Character Dialogue Supervisors", and Nojima only has the same credit he has for the actual XV which was "original concept", which obviously both the script of Kingsglaive and the game are based from. The actual plot of Kingsglaive came from Nozue, who had been attached to Versus since 2006 but doesn't have any actual writing credits for the game.
Yeah, I know about the terminology used for them. I just thought it was weird that it isn't consistent for the Imperial side at least with Ravus to Glauca so it wouldn't be so hard for some people to see the whole picture.

Different terms for the different countries, sure. This was something a few people were talking about the other day from reddit, some other titles were brought up in the same conversation, same complaint I have about it. Makes it hard to talk about some of the stuff in the game when everyone's doing it in different languages and there's little differences like that going on.

Trying to explain it to Sylva has been difficult, even more with trying to get him to spill the beans about what he knows too.

I know about Nozue and that, it was weird because iirc, he and Inoue actually were on reddit to do an AMA about stuff for Kingslglaive and I think story questions or something... just no one really participated and nothing really got answered. Gotta wonder if the lid got put on that one.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Yeah, I know about the terminology used for them. I just thought it was weird that it isn't consistent for the Imperial side at least with Ravus to Glauca so it wouldn't be so hard for some people to see the whole picture.

Different terms for the different countries, sure. This was something a few people were talking about the other day from reddit, some other titles were brought up in the same conversation, same complaint I have about it. Makes it hard to talk about some of the stuff in the game when everyone's doing it in different languages and there's little differences like that going on.

Trying to explain it to Sylva has been difficult, even more with trying to get him to spill the beans about what he knows too.

I know about Nozue and that, it was weird because iirc, he and Inoue actually were on reddit to do an AMA about stuff for Kingslglaive and I think story questions or something... just no one really participated and nothing really got answered. Gotta wonder if the lid got put on that one.
I feel that's more of a localization issue rather than a story issue though, since they'd all just be Drautos Shogun, Cor Shogun, Glauca Shogun and Ravus Shogun when referred to in Japanese, rather than "Captain Drautos", "Marshal Cor", "General Glauca", "High Commander Ravus" as they are in the English localization. Specifically regarding "General Glauca" though, IIRC only Regis and Luna directly refer to him by that title in the movie, I don't recall anyone else mentioning the name "Glauca" or his military title in the movie, so that might have something to do with that inconsistency, or it could just be they wanted to sound more "flowery" in the loc of the game and used High Commander instead of General.

I don't know when they changed these like that though because I remember an old ATR where the official English subtitles mentioned "General Cor" when they were talking about him, and I always liked the sound of "General Cor" better than "Marshal Cor", even though technically they mean the same thing.

On that note Aranea is called "Aranea Junshou" which means both Commodore or Brigadier General in Japanese, while called "Commodore Aranea" in English.

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
I feel that's more of a localization issue rather than a story issue though, since they'd all just be Drautos Shogun, Cor Shogun, Glauca Shogun and Ravus Shogun when referred to in Japanese, rather than "Captain Drautos", "Marshal Cor", "General Glauca", "High Commander Ravus" as they are in the English localization. Specifically regarding "General Glauca" though, IIRC only Regis and Luna directly refer to him by that title in the movie, I don't recall anyone else mentioning the name "Glauca" or his military title in the movie, so that might have something to do with that inconsistency, or it could just be they wanted to sound more "flowery" in the loc of the game and used High Commander instead of General.

I don't know when they changed these like that though because I remember an old ATR where the official English subtitles mentioned "General Cor" when they were talking about him, and I always liked the sound of "General Cor" better than "Marshal Cor", even though technically they mean the same thing.

On that note Aranea is called "Aranea Junshou" which means both Commodore or Brigadier General in Japanese, while called "Commodore Aranea" in English.
Oh yeah, I agree. To me the movie had the better title set up, the problem with it lies in the game in english.

The title for Aranea is what started the talk with the reddit folks the other day, so I dunno, just kinda glad other people share the same complaint. I agree with the point that was brought up about it for Cor from them, General works better for regions that don't use Marshal or use different title systems.

I dunno, could've been an easy way to point out differences in regions with the radio and npc conversations at a low effort, but the english end of the game has other problems beyond this overall that's probably something for another day.