Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
Correcting my self:
I'm definetly betting on the update being about bringing the Episodes and some other XV Universe scenes inside the main game.

Mark my words and beat me with them when i get wrong, like it happened when i believed the Grinch Leak.

Banjo Collab with XV, PLEASE!!!(?)

Feb 19, 2018
Heh. Nice find!

I'm not buying it. He even drew Noctis twice himself both for Dissidia NT & for an FF anniversary(?) art, even going as far as suspiciously cosplaying as old Noct. These happened after the game released.

Also, that would technically be the opposite of moving on if Riku!Noct's design was tied to that kind of reason.

People are projecting too much on his feelings about the game when we currently really don't have an explicit opinion on his behalf.
I wasn't aware of Nomura dressing up as old Noct after release but I had always assumed the drawings were things he was forced to do by upper management for promotional purposes since outside of that he rarely ever focuses on Noct in his drawings. Even in the FF Anniversary drawing you mentioned Noct is drawn extremely tiny and out of focus while every other character is displayed proudly and draws attention to themselves. The way Noct is drawn in that pic is how artists normally depict less important or side characters in terms of placement and focus within the group shot.

Also the reason I said redesigning Riku was an attempt to move on is because sometimes people want to move on from something but aren't fully able to do so and they try to find comfort in things that are similar but not the same thing before moving on for good. Like the example of briefly dating someone similar to an ex before you fully move on. It's like coming off of cigarettes with nicotine gum before you quit for good. That was my reasoning for saying that.

Anyways you're right though, Nomura hasn't given a full explanation on any of this and it is ultimately just others trying to guess what happened without all the facts. This is me just giving my take on the matter and not me stating a fact.

If that were actually the case, why reference FFXV specifically on a game case in a game store in KHIII? It's not like Squenix doesn't have other recognizable properties to parody -- Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, literally any other Final Fantasy -- and "Verum Rex" demands lot more from the audience than simply making a pun out of a series name (say, Fall of the Treasure Hunter, Dino Story, Penultimate Phantasm...).
Thing is though that's incredibly vague, there's no explicit connection to FFXV unless you're intentionally trying to make one. "Verum Rex" could just as easily apply to Lion King as well since that's another story about reclaiming the throne as the rightful and true king. Saying that it's a surefire connection is on the same level as saying Riku's new blade is a car key and the fact that he looks more like Noctis must mean that it's a definite reference to the Regalia or something like that.

Not saying Noct can't appear at all in KH3 but it would probably be in a small capacity. Nomura has even said KH3 doesn't have a lot of room for FF characters to appear as prominently as they did in prior games. The fact that it was because Nomura felt personally bitter was guess work on my part so I retract that statement as that's just speculation on my part.

Anyways guess we'll see in time if FF is even mentioned in KH3 since the focus is on wrapping up the current saga more than anything but I just personally don't see "Verum Rex" as any sort of explicit or even subtle reference to FFXV as it's a really general and broad term. Just seems like a throwaway title they randomly made up to fill the world with details. I would be more inclined to believe it as an FFXV reference if they had at least put the Engine Blade behind the text or something. An easter egg while subtle is also supposed to be easily recognizable once once you do spot it and Verum Rex just doesn't have that easily recognizable quality to it. At least not on its own.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Anyone else hopelessly wishing that they give Ch.1 the "Royal Edition treatment"? I am, primarily the way the news of the attack are delivered to Noctis.
not too bothered by them reading the news about the invasion tbh, because thats only a part of the whole segment, they only truly "learn" about the incident by themselves by going to the hill and watching the airships invading.

Chapter 1 needs a new prologue with a bit of exploration in Insomnia + the tone dissonance needs to be adressed, Noctis and the bros returned to the "happy bro trip" way too fast after experiencing shocking events (also there should be more flashbacks between Noctis and his father to show the pain of his loss), and that to me remains one of the most glaring flaws in the narrative.

edit: forgot to mention the total absence of refugees and the lack of npcs talking about the implications of the invasion

Last edited:

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
not too bothered by them reading the news about the invasion tbh, because thats only a part of the whole segment, they only truly "learn" about the incident by themselves by going to the hill and watching the airships invading.

Chapter 1 needs a new prologue with a bit of exploration in Insomnia + the tone dissonance needs to be adressed, Noctis and the bros returned to the "happy bro trip" way too fast after experiencing shocking events (also there should be more flashbacks between Noctis and his father to show the pain of his loss), and that to me remains one of the most glaring flaws in the narrative.

edit: forgot to mention the total absence of refugees and the lack of npcs talking about the implications of the invasion
I agree that the first half of the story needs to be fleshed out, i.e. there needs to be more set-up to the story. Unfortunately, from what's been mentioned in press conferences, the developers seem to think that only the second half needed to be worked on, so I don't have my hopes up for chapters 1-8 getting anything new. Fingers crossed, I guess? Insomnia prologue is the expansion I've been longing for the most.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Anyone else hopelessly wishing that they give Ch.1 the "Royal Edition treatment"? I am, primarily the way the news of the attack are delivered to Noctis.
Even if they did a Ch.1 Royal Edition treatment it wouldn't change how the bros learn of the invasion via the news or them heading to the hill overlooking Insomnia, Ch.14 RE doesn't change any of the already established things from Chapter 14, it just added more stuff in between them but doesn't step on the toes of what was already there.

The only things they could really add from the bros perspective are just more dialog amongst the bros or just expanding the area around the hill overlooking Insomnia to have more enemies.

The only way they could add anything more substantial storywise to Ch.1 is with a Ch.1 verse 2.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I agree that the first half of the story needs to be fleshed out, i.e. there needs to be more set-up to the story. Unfortunately, from what's been mentioned in press conferences, the developers seem to think that only the second half needed to be worked on, so I don't have my hopes up for chapters 1-8 getting anything new. Fingers crossed, I guess? Insomnia prologue is the expansion I've been longing for the most.
Personally, I think both halves need more fleshing out, when I got to the second half, I was expecting major story content, world-building in regards to Niflheim, and revelations in there, and at launch, it went by too fast. Also, I wouldn't give up hope, they did add a new cutscene to Chapter 5 on the same patch that made the game compatible with the Royal Pack DLC, even though the scene was short.

Last edited:

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't bet on them expanding the story of the main game in any meaningful way at this point.
Would definitely be great having an actually well-balanced hard mode and tweaks to Noctis's gameplay to accommodate it.
Also that extensive modding support they promised way back

Last edited:

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
Personally, I think both halves need more fleshing out, when I got to the second half, I was expecting major story content, world-building in regards to Niflheim, and revelations in there, and at launch, it went by too fast. Also, I wouldn't give up hope, they did add a new cutscene to Chapter 5 on the same patch that made the game compatible with the Royal Pack DLC, even though the scene was short.
Oh, I agree that both halves need fleshing out, it's just that they've already done some work on the second half and -best case scenario- Ep. Aranea will address some of the remaning big issues (the Empire suddenly disappearing from the game, Tenebrae being glossed over). The first half.... doesn't seem so likely.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Oh, I agree that both halves need fleshing out, it's just that they've already done some work on the second half and -best case scenario- Ep. Aranea will address some of the remaning big issues (the Empire suddenly disappearing from the game, Tenebrae being glossed over). The first half.... doesn't seem so likely.
Yeah, Aranea's Episode is something I'm looking forward to, Ardyn's Episode is my first and most wanted DLC, and Aranea's Episode is my second most wanted DLC, specifically because of wanting to see more of her, and see the Niflheim Empire's downfall, which I will say felt missing at launch. These two Episodes will be the final pieces of the story I need before I do my replay for the story to be 'complete' in my eyes, but it's just my opinion, and I know that not many people share this viewpoint, but I understand their frustration, and respect them.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Thing is though that's incredibly vague, there's no explicit connection to FFXV unless you're intentionally trying to make one. "Verum Rex" could just as easily apply to Lion King as well since that's another story about reclaiming the throne as the rightful and true king. Saying that it's a surefire connection is on the same level as saying Riku's new blade is a car key and the fact that he looks more like Noctis must mean that it's a definite reference to the Regalia or something like that.

Not saying Noct can't appear at all in KH3 but it would probably be in a small capacity. Nomura has even said KH3 doesn't have a lot of room for FF characters to appear as prominently as they did in prior games. The fact that it was because Nomura felt personally bitter was guess work on my part so I retract that statement as that's just speculation on my part.

Anyways guess we'll see in time if FF is even mentioned in KH3 since the focus is on wrapping up the current saga more than anything but I just personally don't see "Verum Rex" as any sort of explicit or even subtle reference to FFXV as it's a really general and broad term. Just seems like a throwaway title they randomly made up to fill the world with details. I would be more inclined to believe it as an FFXV reference if they had at least put the Engine Blade behind the text or something. An easter egg while subtle is also supposed to be easily recognizable once once you do spot it and Verum Rex just doesn't have that easily recognizable quality to it. At least not on its own.
Here's where you went awry: multilingual Easter eggs are a thing, especially in Kingdom Hearts.

Consider Vanitas. Vanitas' name is a multilingual Easter egg that requires you to understand both Japanese and Latin to even recognize that there's anything to pick up on.
"Vanitas" is Latin for "vanity" or "emptiness." The Japanese word for "emptiness" is "kara," but it's written using the same exact kanji as Sora ("sky"). Vanitas' visual design, of course, is based on the idea of a Sora devoid of light.

Compared to that, using "Verum Rex" to reference FFXV is actually pretty simple. First off, unlike with Vanitas, using ecclesiastical Latin* on a Square-Enix video game cover is suggestive in and of itself. Apart from Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy's use of Latin is generally limited to ominous Latin chanting and a reference or two here and there, and that's more than anything else Squenix makes. The idea that it's a Lion King reference is even sillier. If Kingdom Hearts were to make a multilingual Lion King reference, it would probably be in Swahili.

* Why ecclesiastical Latin? Because if you immediately understand what "Verum Rex" is meant to convey, it's probably because you're familiar with this sort of Latin:

Given that there's a limited range of appearances for all-black men's suits, I'm not sure whether that was done intentionally, but it would be pretty wild if the hairstyles were that close out of pure coincidence (especially since that's not how Nomura usually wears his hair!). xD

Feb 19, 2018
Here's where you went awry: multilingual Easter eggs are a thing, especially in Kingdom Hearts.

Consider Vanitas. Vanitas' name is a multilingual Easter egg that requires you to understand both Japanese and Latin to even recognize that there's anything to pick up on.
"Vanitas" is Latin for "vanity" or "emptiness." The Japanese word for "emptiness" is "kara," but it's written using the same exact kanji as Sora ("sky"). Vanitas' visual design, of course, is based on the idea of a Sora devoid of light.

Compared to that, using "Verum Rex" to reference FFXV is actually pretty simple. First off, unlike with Vanitas, using ecclesiastical Latin* on a Square-Enix video game cover is suggestive in and of itself. Apart from Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy's use of Latin is generally limited to ominous Latin chanting and a reference or two here and there, and that's more than anything else Squenix makes. The idea that it's a Lion King reference is even sillier. If Kingdom Hearts were to make a multilingual Lion King reference, it would probably be in Swahili.

* Why ecclesiastical Latin? Because if you immediately understand what "Verum Rex" is meant to convey, it's probably because you're familiar with this sort of Latin:

Given that there's a limited range of appearances for all-black men's suits, I'm not sure whether that was done intentionally, but it would be pretty wild if the hairstyles were that close out of pure coincidence (especially since that's not how Nomura usually wears his hair!). xD
Ok that gives the easter egg some basis of being legit then, I don't pay too much attention to KH's story at this point so I wasn't aware they handle their easter eggs like that but I guess that's my fault for assuming so since the main story itself is pretty much a convoluted puzzle at this point too so it makes sense that the easter eggs would follow a similar trend.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Even if they did a Ch.1 Royal Edition treatment it wouldn't change how the bros learn of the invasion via the news or them heading to the hill overlooking Insomnia, Ch.14 RE doesn't change any of the already established things from Chapter 14, it just added more stuff in between them but doesn't step on the toes of what was already there.

The only things they could really add from the bros perspective are just more dialog amongst the bros or just expanding the area around the hill overlooking Insomnia to have more enemies.

The only way they could add anything more substantial storywise to Ch.1 is with a Ch.1 verse 2.
A Chapter 1 Verse 2 with Cor or Luna getting out of Insomnia wouldn't be half bad honestly. Maybe even with Nyx as the playable character since his move set could basically just be Noct's move set.