Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Argento

Red Wings Commander
Nov 5, 2016

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I just had a rebelation (kinda)!

When Japan reaches the 00:00 hs of November 29th, the game would be available at the PS for anyone to download it or that had the game pre-downloaded but, at that time it would still be November 28th in the rest of the world, meaning that anyone who has a JP account could get to play the game up to 1-18 hours (depending on your time zone) in advance than the rest of the world.

If I remember correctly FFXV multilanguage option includes both audio and UI changes, right (English + Spanish + Japanese + French + German)?

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Just had an itch to re-read FFXIII reviews....
Good God now I remember why is dislike reading reviews(most of the higher profile outlets anyway). That complaint they made about the jargon being too complicated to figure out....you know, those three clearly defined and explained terms: l'cie, fal'Cie and Cieth?

You literally just have to pay a little bit of attention. Gametrailers are like "good luck figuring out the difference between l'cie fal'Cie and Cieth"....No Brandon, I have more than two brain cells, I don't need luck(Brandon Jones still an awesome dude with the best voice for reviews though). It's like they needed something else to add to the list of problems the game had yet they didn't even address the actual real problems the game was plagued with.

I don't hold the game in high regard. Heck, I think most reviews gave it too much praise(Game Informer calling it "Phenomenal")but if you are going to point out the flaws point out the actual flaws the game has.

/rant

Will be fun reading the XV review after I complete the game xD

Last edited:
Good God now I remember why is dislike reading reviews(most of the higher profile outlets anyway). That complaint they made about the jargon being too complicated to figure out....you know, those three clearly defined and explained terms: l'cie, fal'Cie and Cieth?

You literally just have to pay a little bit of attention. Gametrailers are like "good luck figuring out the difference between l'cie fal'Cie and Cieth"....No Brandon, I have more than two brain cells, I don't need luck(Brandon Jones still an awesome dude with the best voice for reviews though). It's like they needed something else to add to the list of problems the game had yet they didn't even address the actual real problems the game was plagued with.

I don't hold the game in high regard. Heck, I think most reviews gave it too much praise(Game Informer calling it "Phenomenal")but if you are going to point out the flaws point out the actual flaws the game has.

/rant

There were plenty of things confusing about XIII, but l'Cie, fal'Cie, and Cie'th should have been the easiest to figure out.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I always know and expect it to happen and it's right on time. The days seem to have gotten longer. Time is coming to a halt. And all I can think about more and more is Final Fantasy XV.
I can't remember if it was this bad when XIII was just around the corner xD
After all, it'd street date was broken a week early.
There were plenty of things confusing about XIII, but l'Cie, fal'Cie, and Cie'th should have been the easiest to figure out.
Indeed. Alot of crap was hidden away in the datalog but the l'cie stuff was clearly explained in the game itself by the characters.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016

/rant

I find reading journalistic reviews fun in a wierd way. The most recent example I can think of; World of Final Fantasy was deliberately meant to be simple and streamlined so young players could enjoy it, and critics were throwing negative comments at it for being simple and streamlined.

Reviews don't get the point of a game most of the time, even when the developers have been bellowing through loudspeakers. I've seen a trend towards giving imitative and uninspired platformers/slashers/ect., homegrown "Western" RPGs, and FPSs high marks, Meanwhile games where you have to think and see but aren't overtly "artistic" (which include several Japanese games like FF titles, the entire Drakengard series, and others such as titles from Goichi Suda and titles outside the highly traditional Dragon Quest series) are given more of the cold shoulder.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Just some clarification for anyone that is wondering whether or not something belongs here. Any official media is free to post here. If it's a trailer or an officially released image, go ahead and post it here. For the sake of other users though, just put it in a spoiler tag. Tornak handled it perfectly, so long as the content is officially released, it can go here no problem I think.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Btw guys who struggle with YouTube being a spoiler minefield, just do what I do. Just have a bookmark for your subscription page, and only go between that and your watch later playlist. Play all videos in full screen or theater mode, so that recommended vids never come up. Idk, that's my way of avoiding all spoilers for Steven Universe, FFXV and other TV shows that I watch.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016

I thought this too, until my boyfriend and I watched Kingsglaive with one of my boyfriend's friends, and the friend seemed completely lost about what was going on in the opening. I paused the movie, offered a minute's worth of direct context, and that seemed to fix things right up. (...though it probably helped that we switched from a PS3 with really bad wifi to a PS4 shortly thereafter. >_>; Kingsglaive is completely unwatchable when the bitrate is too low.)

Anyway, the lesson I learned there is that people tend to throw up their hands and assume that things are really complicated the moment it seems like whatever they're reading/watching/playing assumes prior knowledge, even if they're perfectly capable of catching up in short order when the source recognizes their ignorance. Most jargon isn't hard, just unfamiliar, but simply being unfamiliar is enough to make people feel like they're in way over their heads. (It's surprising how little it takes to convince people you're brilliant when you can effortlessly throw around jargon from a bunch of different fields. XD )

Final Fantasy struggles more than usual with this because it... kind of assumes that its target audience will have kept up with (at least some of) the pre-release materials that actually do spell everything out. Squenix actually did say, "this is what a l'Cie is, this is what a fal'Cie is, this is what a Cie'th is." They just did it months before the game came out (and then proceeded to forget that it wasn't actually common knowledge in the interim).

Unfortunately, XIII's developmental issues likely exacerbated things further. One of the challenges of writing for games is that the development of the actual game can force script changes -- if a level doesn't work out, all of the story surrounding it has to either get dropped or worked into the game's other levels. And I think that the incredibly short period of time between when XIII's team started to gel as a team when making the April 2009 Advent Children Complete demo to the game's actual release in December of that same year might have required the story content to be massively pared back from what it was intended to be, leaving the Datalog to fill in the blanks. Having other parts of the game that really did require one to read through a bunch of text hidden away in a menu cemented the game's reputation as being willfully obtuse, which then got expressed by critics through stuff like "no one knows what the difference between a l'Cie and a fal'Cie is." >_>;

XV seemed to learn a lot of lessons from XIII's shortcomings in that regard, thankfully. For one thing, it's a lot less reliant on completely foreign terminology -- it's a lot less intimidating to remember that the gods are called "Astrals" than that they're called "fal'Cie," and even some of the weirder stuff is just Latin. For another, the pre-release materials that do exist are both much more widely accessible and more compelling. And for a third, Tabata seems to have dealt with the need for scope reduction much earlier in the development of XV proper, allowing for the creation of a story that could actually fit within the game's restrictions instead of being shoehorned to fit into a much narrower box than was likely intended.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

/rant

Am replaying 13 now to kill time and I can vouch that everything is explained.

It's really not just difficult. You'd have to be pretty thick to not get the difference between the 3 because I'm 10 hours in and they've said those 3 terms so many times, explaining what they are again and again.

Sometimes I can't help but question people's comprehension skills when it comes to games...

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Am replaying 13 now to kill time and I can vouch that everything is explained.
Disclaimer: I haven´t played XIII, yet.

I remember the reviews/fans accusing the game of not properly explaining some in-universe stuff (why certain conflicts are going down and what not) or at least not via Data Logs.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I know.

FFXV isn't participating in this years awards, most likely next years.

And if it's up against Zelda then it most likely will go to Zelda since critics seem to love that way more than FF.
Yeah, it's sad. It was only with Skyward Sword that I found something that didn't make me feel sick with the damsel in distress saved by someone who doesn't have any real reason other than... just because. I felt emotionally invested, and the scenes with Impa were just so incredible. And after that they went back to "classic" blandness. I'm hoping they can capture that energy and emotion again.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
I hope the massive Adamantoise is just the tip of the iceberg for super side bosses.

I really wants some difficult humanoid super side bosses in the game as well.
Yeah I hope that Adamantoise is one of the weaker super bosses in game, and it follows the trend of smaller super bosses are actually much more difficult. Of course not in terms of taking 3 in game days, but like the mechanics to the fight, the techniques needed and the preplanning needed are of more importance.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Yeh, let's Adamantoise be the HP sponge super boss.

Then give me a super boss who's crazy fast and agile, manage to block and parry my moves, has a chance to insta-kill my party members and demands that I stay on my toes at all times to not perish.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Disclaimer: I haven´t played XIII, yet.

I remember the reviews/fans accusing the game of not properly explaining some in-universe stuff (why certain conflicts are going down and what not) or at least not via Data Logs.
Some things are explained via cutscenes and character dialogue, but the in depth stuff is in the datalog.

With that being said fal'Cie, l'Cie and Cieth are always harped on about in cutscenes so any excuse about not understanding these 3 things is just that: an excuse (or poor comprehension).

I'll admit, the explaining stuff through the datalog isn't a great idea since I'm guessing most people skip it, and thus aren't able to get a full picture of the lore, character intentions, locations, and events.

However just playing the game and watching the cutscenes should give a general understanding tbh.