Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Ep noctis would be a great opportunity to show tragic events like his injury, his relationship with his father, his solitude because regis was mostly busy, the moment he was chosen by the crystal, exploration in insomnia

much better than any alternate scenario, because those are real events
I definitely understand the sentiment for this and I definitely wanted this too, but let's think for a second, what is really missing from the game?

I think Tabata has been trying say this for a while now: but the World of Eos lore-wise is extremely lacking.

The Wicked, The Oracle and The Chosen all have one big thing in common; they are fated to die by the will of the Crystal yet we have actually no idea why. Why did the Starscourge plague the world? Where did it come from (by that, I mean whom)? We have no idea if Ardyn was telling the truth about the crystal or not.

I definitely would love a prologue, don't get me wrong, but I don't see how that could be more important than Eos lore. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that defying the will of the Crystal and the Cosmogony may actually be the goal of these 3 DLC, and by extension, the real plot of FFXV, we just don't know it yet. It was certainly Ardyn's goal, but perhaps it should have been Luna (her DLC is hinting towards this) and Nocts goal as well.

I personally think Noctis will gain the knowledge from Ardyn and Luna's DLC events (he will somehow witness their events through his eyes) before being able to fight against his fate, as well as their own. I don't think anything before the final chapter will be altered though. Saving all 3 characters from death (even through revival) will probably happen as a major climax type event or through time travel (since it exists already through Umbra).

This is why I also think that "Alternative" doesn't mean "non-canon" but could actually mean more "Complete", which lines with Tabata's words about "Completing the FFXV Universe"

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I definitely understand the sentiment for this and I definitely wanted this too, but let's think for a second, what is really missing from the game?

I think Tabata has been trying say this for a while now: but the World of Eos lore-wise is extremely lacking.

The Wicked, The Oracle and The Chosen all have one big thing in common; they are fated to die by the will of the Crystal yet we have actually no idea why. Why did the Starscourge plague the world? Where did it come from (by that, I mean whom)? We have no idea if Ardyn was telling the truth about the crystal or not.

I definitely would love a prologue, don't get me wrong, but I don't see how that could be more important than Eos lore. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that defying the will of the Crystal and the Cosmogony may actually be the goal of these 3 DLC, and by extension, the real plot of FFXV, we just don't know it yet. It was certainly Ardyn's goal, but perhaps it should have been Luna (her DLC is hinting towards this) and Nocts goal as well.

I personally think Noctis will gain the knowledge from Ardyn and Luna's DLC events (he will somehow witness their events through his eyes) before being able to fight against his fate, as well as their own. I don't think anything before the final chapter will be altered though. Saving all 3 characters from death (even through revival) will probably happen as a major climax type event or through time travel (since it exists already through Umbra).

This is why I also think that "Alternative" doesn't mean "non-canon" but could actually mean more "Complete", which lines with Tabata's words about "Completing the FFXV Universe"
Yeah, that's one thing that interests me about this new alternate ending, and I think it may not be like Episode: Ignis' alternate ending, I do like the sound of the new one better than that one, and I understand the concerns for it, but I am curious about all of this, in addition to Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes, and I don't even trust the Astrals, especially after reading that Pitioss theory, even though I know that's not a true theory but it got me questioning the Astrals' motives, and a part of me actually wishes to save Ardyn. I did love the main ending, but depending on how they do this overarching alternate ending/storyline, it might open a whole new perpective of FFXV for me, and that's what interests me, and agree about the lore, too.

Last edited:

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
Ep noctis would be a great opportunity to show tragic events like his injury, his relationship with his father, his solitude because regis was mostly busy, the moment he was chosen by the crystal, exploration in insomnia

much better than any alternate scenario, because those are real events
Honestly at this point I feel like the developers -unfortunately- don't give two cents about Regis and Noctis relationship. Even though they kept saying that the game was about the relationship between a father and his son prioir to its release, they have done nothing in the last couple of years to actually develop that relationship or make players care about it.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
This is what I'm hoping for. I'd love some alternate takes but hopefully there is a canon aspect to this whole thing. Discounting Aranea because I think it will be part of the main game.

For example: doing everything canonically for Ardyn and Luna gives you the Canon Noct ending (maybe an extension to the main ending or whatever). But doing the V2 endings for both give you a grand finale v2 ending for Nocts episode.
Hmm... creating a set of three parallel stories does seem like the best possible outcome, but finding the balance would be so hard. XD;

Here's a thought -- what if the DLC trilogy assumes that the canonical ending already does reflect one means by which Noct and Luna can escape their fate? Instead of a dichotomy between obedient death and defiant survival, the DLC trilogy could create a trichotomy between fated annihilation, willing ascension to divinity, and outright rejection of the divine (ideally represented by passively fading, pleading for the Crystal's grace, and destroying the Crystal, respectively).

That would certainly resolve the "now the canon ending is suboptimal =(" problem -- it'd be up to the player whether it's better for Noct and Luna to provide eternal divine guidance or for them to seize an impossible happy ending at the expense of a world shorn of the supernatural, and it'd make it very clear that the canon end was a valid choice.

If they actually do that, they might top Legend of Korra for last-second thematic suicide, and that's saying something. >_<

Thankfully, Tabata has said flat-out on numerous occasions that the canon ending is and will remain ending. If they want to make the fighting-fate thing into a "Final Fantasy Versus XV" thing, then that's their prerogative, but throwing away the best ending in the entire franchise in favor of a JRPG cliche is the absolute last thing anyone should want.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Hmm... creating a set of three parallel stories does seem like the best possible outcome, but finding the balance would be so hard. XD;

Here's a thought -- what if the DLC trilogy assumes that the canonical ending already does reflect one means by which Noct and Luna can escape their fate? Instead of a dichotomy between obedient death and defiant survival, the DLC trilogy could create a trichotomy between fated annihilation, willing ascension to divinity, and outright rejection of the divine (ideally represented by passively fading, pleading for the Crystal's grace, and destroying the Crystal, respectively).

That would certainly resolve the "now the canon ending is suboptimal =(" problem -- it'd be up to the player whether it's better for Noct and Luna to provide eternal divine guidance or for them to seize an impossible happy ending at the expense of a world shorn of the supernatural, and it'd make it very clear that the canon end was a valid choice.

If they actually do that, they might top Legend of Korra for last-second thematic suicide, and that's saying something. >_<

Thankfully, Tabata has said flat-out on numerous occasions that the canon ending is and will remain ending. If they want to make the fighting-fate thing into a "Final Fantasy Versus XV" thing, then that's their prerogative, but throwing away the best ending in the entire franchise in favor of a JRPG cliche is the absolute last thing anyone should want.
I don't necessarily think that changes anything tbh. Ardyn has badmouthed the crystal since the original release. The idea of changing or defying fate has literally been his entire goal. Many people speculate that the Starscourge originated from Chaos or the crystal itself.

I actually think it would go very well with the current games lore. Not to mention that nearly every Final fantasy title has some sort of plot twisty, omega-insane-itwasmeallalong-boss type villain. Not saying it should be this way, but it would actually make sense with the series, as it has always has been there.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I don't necessarily think that changes anything tbh. Ardyn has badmouthed the crystal since the original release. The idea of changing or defying fate has literally been his entire goal. Many people speculate that the Starscourge originated from Chaos or the crystal itself.

I actually think it would go very well with the current games lore. Not to mention that nearly every Final fantasy title has some sort of plot twisty, omega-insane-itwasmeallalong-boss type villain. Not saying it should be this way, but it would actually make sense with the series, as it has always has been there.
Yeah, and it depends on how this overarching alternate ending/story-line is done and executed.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Relevant:

He also clarified more regarding future DLC. "The important thing is [that] we want to release DLC that's closely linked to the main game - the main story - and has a strong influence on that, rather than something somewhat peripheral and unrelated. That's the kind of content we're looking at."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/12/24/final-fantasy-xv-one-year-later.aspx

Can't find the article since it's buried under so many new ones, but I remember one where Tabata said he wants to focus on the core game and they weren't going to do an episodic approach like that they've been doing.
He said right here:

Hajime Tabata says that he wants to deliver at least three episode-style DLC
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/2...ree-dlc-episodes-2018-starting-episode-ardyn/

(Yes this was before they added Aranea as the 4th but it still technically stands)

What we're getting now is no different from the season 1 DLC. Content accessed separately.
The jury is still out whether or not they'll be accessed through a seperate menu like before, any confirmation is currently up in air.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
but for all we know technically they would be even harder to implement (than the first dlcs) because of the alternative content

also focusing on non-canon events is the opposite of "closely linked" to me, this all seems highly unnecessary (i don't see how they thought we fans would want something like that after requesting so many story additions related to the main story, it feels like a waste)

also i like your idea paperchampion, it would be more bearable, but i would rather have that kind of lore information revealed in canon events.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Yeah, and it depends on how this overarching alternate ending/story-line is done and executed.
Exactly. I think with the Ignis director, we are in for an emotional ride, regardless of how it plays out or is executed. And im going to be positive about it and say that it will have much bigger affect on the game and story than just "blah blah alternate ending"

but for all we know technically they would be even harder to implement (than the first dlcs) because of the alternative content

also focusing on non-canon events is the opposite of "closely linked" to me, this all seems highly unnecessary.

also i like your idea paperchampion, it would be more bearable, but i would rather have that kind of lore information revealed in canon events.
Think about it this way, perhaps it would be more in line like a Chrono trigger or a Nier type ending. Being an alternate-ending to the main event doesn't necessarily make it non-canon, and in some cases in those games, other endings actually answered more about the games lore than what the widely accepted ending did in the first place.

I think by the end of this, both endings will be extremely important to FFXV as a whole. The original ending will be the most widely accepted ending for the game of course in all its badassnes, but perhaps there just more to the underlying games lore that they want to show.

Think on the bright side. We are getting more Ardyn and Luna, who's events for the most part should be canon. Noctis's may be derivative to tell that alternative ending, but it may actually do the games lore so much more justice than it was given.

Obviously all speculation, but I wanna stay positive because the director did Ignis so extremely well.

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017

also focusing on non-canon events is the opposite of "closely linked" to me, this all seems highly unnecessary.

They could tease at such information in a canon event if that's possible, but we'll find out when this all happens, but I understand your feelings on the matter.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
They could tease at such information in a canon event if that's possible, but we'll find out when this all happens, but I understand your feelings on the matter.
i really want to know a few details especially if Ep Luna and Noctis will have a canon story, because their description reads like they'll be entirely focused on the alt story.

Obviously all speculation, but I wanna stay positive because the director did Ignis so extremely well.
oh im pretty sure it'll be good quality-wise but thats not really the problem, i just would rather they spent his talent in relevant canon stuff, which is the type of content im really excited to play.

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
i really want to know a few details especially if Ep Luna and Noctis will have a canon story, because their description reads like they'll be entirely focused on the alt story.
Yeah, I do agree we do need some details about them to get a clear idea, hopefully E3 or another interview could clear things up.

@Paperchampion23 Agreed, I'm giving him a chance to show why the the overarching theme of the new DLC should be worth investing in, and I'm intrigued by it.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015

Aranea & Ardyn appear to seemingly share canon content. EP. Luna is up in air so its arguable, which leaves us with EP. Noctis which seems to lean the closest towards alt. story content, unless the description only a portion of whats to come.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Aranea & Ardyn appear to seemingly share canon content. EP. Luna is up in air so its arguable, which leaves us with EP. Noctis which seems to lean the closest towards alt. story content, unless the description only a portion of whats to come.
ardyn and luna will certainly have alt content, because they're part of that build-up to the new finale, but it might be just a verse 2 like in Ep Ignis.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
ardyn and luna will certainly have alt content, because they're part of that build-up to the new finale, but it might be just a verse 2 like in Ep Ignis.
I do expect those DLCs to have Extra Verses/Verse Twos as well, and I'm willing to play both the canon and the alternate routes for each DLC, and see how these characters end up in the end in both places.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
If I were doing it and thinking about how to encourage people both to play the full alt sequence or pick and choose individual episodes, I'd probably put any alt content for Noctis behind some kind of conditional wall; the main portion is canon, but the alt content is only unlocked if the previous lead-up from Ardyn and Luna has been unlocked. In that case, I'd also make the alt segments for Luna and Ardyn work as standalone elements. All three would come together to make a whole, but it wouldn't be overtly forcing anyone to play through all three.

And as for Aranea, well everyone wanted more of her so her being a canon-exclusive side story makes perfect sense.