Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
So in the debug menu there's options to get all items/weapons/etc and under polearms in the main game there's a placeholder name that gives Noctis an airstep sword to use as a spear by holding it by the blade lol this carries over into Comrades where, even more curiously, there's a placeholder name under maces that gives your glaive one of the pillars from Episode Gladio XD

EDIT: Also in the main game there's an accessory called Ring of the Lucii that gives Noct something like 3000 attack and defense, has the same item description as the weapon version

Oct 4, 2013
I think the whole second season of DLC is a mistake. They had two jobs

Job 1: fix the complaints about the game: they addressed the on-rails driving, they addressed the plot holes, they addressed the whole party being playable, and finally they addressed the rather small Insomnia map size.

Job 2: they conducted the survey and were supposed to respond to it.

A such, all that was left to fix was to open up the 2nd half of the game (to address the sudden linearity complaint), and to deliver the most voted DLC based on the fan feedback (EP Ardyn). So I think these two pieces of DLC were all they needed to create for 2018. But this new second season pass will just create more work for them and open up a whole new can of worms.
While I think the current ending is sufficient, it seems second season is made in mind with first season of DLCs and Royal pack. As much as I want them to keep filling the gaps, it will be an endless task.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
So i'm hearing the frame pacing issues apparently got fixed on the PS4 Pro's High Mode setting. Anyone test it yet?
It has been improved, but it depends on the area. You will notice framepacing issues in Altissia, Lestallum and Comrades. The rest of the experience is smoother.

But this are just my impressions. The last time i said the the ring was balanced but it didn't happened :/

Feb 19, 2018
That pic of Shiva is pure aesthetic right there. Kinda wish the game had used its cutscenes for more than just talking sequences 90% of the time. Would've been great to see more stuff like Shiva vs Ifrit, Noct's KoTR, or the recent 5 Astral summon, but I guess the QTEs were meant to replace cutscenes in the more action packed moments. Oh well, I can't really complain but cinematics do manage to add just that extra bit of flair to big story moments.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
That pic of Shiva is pure aesthetic right there. Kinda wish the game had used its cutscenes for more than just talking sequences 90% of the time. Would've been great to see more stuff like Shiva vs Ifrit, Noct's KoTR, or the recent 5 Astral summon, but I guess the QTEs were meant to replace cutscenes in the more action packed moments. Oh well, I can't really complain but cinematics do manage to add just that extra bit of flair to big story moments.
Disc limitations. When you combine the concept of Open World with high quality cinematic experiences, often one or the other is going to have to give.

Feb 19, 2018
Disc limitations. When you combine the concept of Open World with high quality cinematic experiences, often one or the other is going to have to give.
Well I'm not talking about pre-rendered CG cutscenes, I'm referring to in engine cinematics. All of the ones I listed are in engine and look fantastic which is what I would've liked to see a bit more of. The QTEs are fine too but even those were pretty sparingly used.

Vankwisha

Chocobo Knight
Feb 25, 2018
So i'm hearing the frame pacing issues apparently got fixed on the PS4 Pro's High Mode setting. Anyone test it yet?
I think I became desensitized by the frame pacing issues in FFXV. Because I stopped noticing them along time ago. I've been playing on the Pro since launch though.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I think I became desensitized by the frame pacing issues in FFXV. Because I stopped noticing them along time ago. I've been playing on the Pro since launch though.
Nah, it really has been improved, but not perfected. Before if you where riding the car the game stuggered really hard, but now i don't notice anything.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Last edited:

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
I always felt like there was a really big dissonance between different teams working on the FFXV universe when it came to the design of Insomnia but seeing the comparisons it actually lines up quite nicely. Using ansel I was also able to find some greenhouses around the citadel (like in brotherhood) and an area resembling the highway to the west gate from Kingsglaive.

Feb 19, 2018
I always felt like there was a really big dissonance between different teams working on the FFXV universe when it came to the design of Insomnia but seeing the comparisons it actually lines up quite nicely. Using ansel I was also able to find some greenhouses around the citadel (like in brotherhood) and an area resembling the highway to the west gate from Kingsglaive.
Just curious but how finished does the rest of Insomnia look especially now with the updated map? Obviously it's not in a playable state but is it basically all generic placeholder stuff beyond the boundaries of the playable map or does it actually look like it had some legitimate work put into it? Would be interesting to know how far they actually got with Insomnia before ultimately deciding it wasn't possible to include in the final game. Honestly kinda wish XV had stayed as a trilogy but I guess Square got scared off that concept due to the reception of the FFXIII trilogy as maybe an entire first game set in Insomnia wouldn't have been half bad. I remember hearing rumors that apparently when it was still a trilogy the first game was supposed to end at the trial of Leviathan? With Insomnia and Lucis being the big hub worlds I wouldn't have minded a more linear but detailed Altissia since it's already pretty linear in the main game.

Anyways not gonna lament what we didn't get but Insomnia really did have the potential to be the next Midgar in terms of iconic cities in the franchise as it has all the lore and the appealing design elements, it just got shafted in terms of actual exploration. Really hoping Episode Noctis features Insomnia pretty heavily if not exclusively so that we can get more of it to explore and that they add a tour of some sort through a pristine version of it. Like how Ignis' episode gave us a more explorable Altissia.

Feb 19, 2018
Also this is me just throwing out a random idea but what if Noct uses Umbra to go back to the night of the treaty signing and we get to go through the Insomnia invasion with Nyx and Luna as party members? They go through the invasion defeating a Diamond Weapon, Glauca, and lastly Ardyn where Noct defeats him while also convincing him it's not too late to change and Ardyn allows himself to be healed by Luna. That then causes our Noct to fade out of existence and we get a Tidus and Yuna throwback that makes everyone cry since the timeline's been changed but on the bright side young Noct gets to live a happy life now and takes the throne with his bride, bringing peace between Lucis and Niflheim by sharing their advancements in technology. We get more Insomnia, more KG tie-ins, happy ending advocates get a happy ending, and people that love the original ending get an alternate ending that doesn't betray the original since Ardyn repents on his own, Noct defies the gods but doesn't pimp slap them, and there's still an ultimate sacrifice made for the greater good.